Print Thread
Mexican wolf? #2804460 12/02/11 10:06 PM
P
pafree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
i finished work on a guys hog trap. i delivered it today and we were telling war stories. he was telling me that the Mexican wolf was starting to move into the area. we have a lot of coyotes and bobcats at the lease (soon to be taken care of after deer season) but about a month ago, i saw what i thought was a coyote but it was too pretty. rust/red fur white/tan legs and husky shaped face. after google imaging a Mexican wolf, it fit the picture. could they be in southeast Texas?

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: pafree] #2804564 12/02/11 10:46 PM
T
Tikka'd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I would say if so it was the most uncommon thing you will ever encounter in your hunting career. at one point there were thought to be zero. from the late 90's up until 2010 50 wolfs have been released in south east arizona in the Apache National Forest. out of those 50 they are all well monitored to the point that it is known that there is only one breeding pair. With that information I would have to say it was a Coyote. They can range in all kinds of color schemes i shot a nice rust red with a copper shine dog last winter in the snow. Also size differences is extreme with coyotes being described as 15-40 pounds and these wolfs 60-80 with males being larger than that by the same sight.

just my .02

POW CLICKA POW POW
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Tikka'd] #2804849 12/03/11 12:56 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Now the mexican wolfs are sneaking across the border.

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: jdw] #2804858 12/03/11 01:04 AM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
worthless

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: jdw] #2804976 12/03/11 02:10 AM
T
Tikka'd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: jdw
Now the mexican wolfs are sneaking across the border.

don't you cross us or try and cross our borders so many guns piled up were like mother F#$%ing Hoarders…

heres a pic just pulled off the web

POW CLICKA POW POW
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: pafree] #2805144 12/03/11 03:28 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: pafree
could they be in southeast Texas?

While it might be possible for the Mexican wolf to be in east Texas, the prospect seems rather unlikely for it to be there naturally and without any other sightings between east Texas and its known range that is at least 100 miles distant.

From the coloration and size described, it sounds like what you may have is a Red Wolf. East Texas is within its historic known range. Note that the Red Wolf is sometimes confused with being a coyote.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2805227 12/03/11 04:03 AM
T
Tikka'd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
pafree did it look anything like this guy?

POW CLICKA POW POW
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Tikka'd] #2805467 12/03/11 01:36 PM
P
pafree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Tikka'd
pafree did it look anything like this guy?

it looked simular to the one in the snow. it didn't have the long fur but the coloring was simular. it came out during the day and was sitting on one of the roads on the lease. when we got closer, it went into the woods but after we passed it came back out and started to follow us down the road.

all the "deer" hunters on the lease are saying the deer movement is weird. could it be him shaking them up?

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: pafree] #2805564 12/03/11 02:32 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've seen Jacurundi in the Hill Country...back when I had my coon
and cat dogs...The local game warden (now retired) Ernie Lerma
also saw them...When I lived in Alto and hunted almost daily with my hounds, I caught some red pups from a coyote looking
animal...I now believe to have been a red wolf..they never socialized..had to turn them loose...Saw one timber wolf over
by Weches about 2AM..biggest darn wolf I ever saw...DD

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Don Dial] #2806287 12/03/11 08:31 PM
T
Tikka'd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
that picture i posted is a coyote...

POW CLICKA POW POW
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Tikka'd] #2806671 12/03/11 11:40 PM
P
pafree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P

that is why i brought up this subject. i want to get into varmint hunting and after seeing what i saw and hearing stories of the wolves. i don't want to shoot something that is endangered.

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2806754 12/04/11 12:16 AM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
could they be in southeast Texas?

While it might be possible for the Mexican wolf to be in east Texas, the prospect seems rather unlikely for it to be there naturally and without any other sightings between east Texas and its known range that is at least 100 miles distant.

From the coloration and size described, it sounds like what you may have is a Red Wolf. East Texas is within its historic known range. Note that the Red Wolf is sometimes confused with being a coyote.

Red Wolf? Wasn't the red wolf extinct in 1980, then reintroduced in the late 80's in North Carolina. While there could be a slim chance I would doubt it. Coyotes and red wolves were thought to possibly cross breed and there have been yotes that have had a lot of red wolf characteristics.

Last edited by furdown; 12/04/11 12:17 AM.

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: furdown] #2806786 12/04/11 12:35 AM
T
Texas Bob Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I lived in the panhandle on the high plains for most of my life. There are big coyotes up there, and when they get a fat winter coat grown in, they're even bigger. Now I live in Galveston, and coyotes run through my neighborhood all the time and live in the swamp on the east end of the island. These suckers are bigger than anything I saw in the plains, close to the size of German shepherds. But they most certainly have the facial structure of coyotes and not wolves, but their size and weight are much closer to those of a wolf. I did a little reading after seeing one here for the first time, and there seems to be some agreement that as settlers decimated the Texas red wolf population, it began to interbreed with east Texas coyotes. This accounts for the OCCASIONAL pack of massive coyotes with red wolf characteristics. I think the isolation of the island population may have prevented some of the suppression mentioned in the link below.

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/canirufu.htm
Quote:
Distribution in Texas. Formerly, red wolves ranged throughout the eastern half of Texas but their numbers and range quickly declined under pressure of intensive land use in the region. Also, early lumbering and farming practices allowed the coyote to expand its range into East Texas; hybrid offspring of interbreeding red wolves and coyotes more closely resembled coyotes and the genetic identity of the red wolf was gradually suppressed.

Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: pafree] #2806869 12/04/11 01:31 AM
T
Tikka'd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

that is why i brought up this subject. i want to get into varmint hunting and after seeing what i saw and hearing stories of the wolves. i don't want to shoot something that is endangered.

as far as that goes i would say the only thing in east texas you have to worry about is shooting a dog thinning its a coyote. I would be willing to bet anything that you never get a chance at a wolf there. And if you did i highly doubt you would even get prosecuted. The chances of a wolf being there are almost 0% so you would not know any better. coyotes can come in all types and colors i shot a black coyote a few years back up north. It is very common for people to think that different coyotes are wolfs

and yes the red wolf was extinct and was artificially reinstated. (release of captive animals) only 50 were released and they are all monitored very closely. out of the 50 released between 1980s and 2010 only one breeding pair was ever known to breed.

get out there and start laying down some song dogs and i wouldnt not worry about ever shooting a wolf! varmint hutning is a passion of mine im sure you will love it.

POW CLICKA POW POW
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Tikka'd] #2807620 12/04/11 12:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Red Wolf? Wasn't the red wolf extinct in 1980, then reintroduced in the late 80's in North Carolina. While there could be a slim chance I would doubt it. Coyotes and red wolves were thought to possibly cross breed and there have been yotes that have had a lot of red wolf characteristics.

LOL, red wolves were not declared extinct, but "extinct in the wild." You can't re-introduce a species that is extinct. The last known remnant population before reintroduction was in SE Texas and Louisiana. So yeah, chances are pretty slim. However, if what was cited in the OP was as described and is a wolf, the traits described do not match the Mexican wolf. Indeed it probably was a coyote.

Quote:
and yes the red wolf was extinct and was artificially reinstated. (release of captive animals) only 50 were released and they are all monitored very closely. out of the 50 released between 1980s and 2010 only one breeding pair was ever known to breed.

Wow, that pair must be really busy because there are now approximately 20 known packs comprising 100-120 individuals that exist in the wild where reintroduced.
http://www.fws.gov/redwolf/

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #2811341 12/05/11 06:52 PM
C
chrisr489 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Not sure what you saw was a wolf but the Mexican wolf was reintroduced into new Mexico a few years ago. Contact the new Mexico ranger district to get info on numbers and known travel and breeding. They keep pretty good tabs on them.

Texas Sweat Kennels
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: chrisr489] #2811648 12/05/11 08:22 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I saw this when doing an elk harvest report for my uncle on the NM wildlife page. http://wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/documents/Wolfcountry.pdf

We don't need wolves in TX. Don't want to end up screwed like Idaho.

Last edited by adam_p; 12/05/11 08:22 PM.
Re: Mexican wolf? [Re: Tikka'd] #2812121 12/05/11 10:21 PM
P
pafree Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
yes the red wolf was extinct and was artificially reinstated. (release of captive animals) only 50 were released and they are all monitored very closely. out of the 50 released between 1980s and 2010 only one breeding pair was ever known to breed.

get out there and start laying down some song dogs and i wouldnt not worry about ever shooting a wolf! varmint hutning is a passion of mine im sure you will love it.

you used the extinct word. this summer while hunting hogs, the birds would hit the feeder right before dark. there was one bird that would be mixed in with the rest that looked like a pigeon or dove but had a red breast. after googling, it looked like the extinct passenger pigeon. http://www.wbu.com/c.../passpigeon.htm i have always said that Liberty county was 20 years behind the time. no worries during the Y2K scares here because the county is still trying to get out of the 80s.

thanks to everyone for the information on the wolf thing. hog hunting has been very addicting and hope varmint hunting will too.

Last edited by pafree; 12/05/11 10:33 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide