Forums46
Topics538,234
Posts9,734,581
Members87,075
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2583039 09/14/11 09:41 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: icook'em
but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

i completely respect people who hunt to eat. i don't really care for people who just do it for the thrill.

God gave main dominion over all the creatures in the sky, on land and in water.

Hunting is one of the biggest thrills you can have in this life, the kill is just a part of it. I suggest you try it sometime

fair enough, but i won't be trying it anytime soon.

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txshntr] #2583053 09/14/11 09:45 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: txshntr

i love all cute little, furry critters. and i can't explain it to the point that it will make much sense to anyone else, but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

ALL THAT SAID, let me answer the next unspoken question: yes, i do eat meat. once an animal no longer looks cute and furry, but instead like a chunk of meat like i would see at a butcher shop i even help process it.

i completely respect people who hunt to eat. i don't really care for people who just do it for the thrill.

I think the last statement can be a little misleading. Some of the people that hunt "just for the thrill" care more and do more for the animals than anyone else. I would say that many if not most hunters hunt for the thrill of it, or they wouldn't do it. Few hunt out of necessity anymore, mainly due to the cost.

That being said, hunters do more and give back more to the environment, animals, and have created organizations that make up a majority of the funds that go to creating wetlands, help with habitation improvements, restocking, etc.

I love to hunt, I eat most of the animals that I kill, but don't let me fool you...I hunt for the thrill of it but I don't hunt to kill. I have much respect for the animals that I hunt and I have risked my body numerous times to save animals from fences, mud, creeks, crevices and sometimes have had to put them down to alleviate their suffering.

i can see how my last statement could be misleading. what i meant by "people who just do it for the thrill" are the gun-happy folks who just go out shooting to shoot. i completely respect the kind of hunters you describe above. it's my husband to the T. grin

---

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Tree Hunter] #2583139 09/14/11 10:19 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Tree Hunter
Bought me some new camo this year too.

You must be hunting around the Bastrop area!

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Vern1] #2583142 09/14/11 10:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Vern1

If it don't rain soon it might the camo of choice for the whole dang state. bang

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: stxranchman] #2583232 09/14/11 11:06 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Vern1

If it don't rain soon it might the camo of choice for the whole dang state. bang

After typing that, I realize how insensitive that comment really was.
Being right in the center of it all and only about 8 miles from the big one in Bastrop, our cars are facing the road and we still have bags packed for a quick exit if needed!
On the first night, I shot some video from the roof of my hanger showing fires burning all around.
My son and I took turns staying up all night on fire watch for three or four days.
I spend quite a while cutting fire lanes around my houses, shop and barns.

Last edited by Vern1; 09/14/11 11:07 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Vern1] #2583406 09/15/11 12:20 AM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
hello all,

i'm sorry if my earlier words offended anyone. that was not at all my intention. i am not here to judge, criticize, tell you that what you do is wrong, etc. that's honestly not the case - heck if that were the case i'd join PETA and i don't mean "People Eating Tasty Animals"... ;o)

i'm realistic. i know that hunting is necessary. i just personally can't do. i respect those who can. on that note i purposely joined THF to be a part of a community of conservationists and to from you guys.

if it helps any, we're having tasty broiled red deer steaks for dinner. i'd invite ya'll to join but i wasn't expecting any guests and only defrosted enough for 2. sorry... ;o)

---

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2583898 09/15/11 03:28 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
hello all,

i'm sorry if my earlier words offended anyone. that was not at all my intention. i am not here to judge, criticize, tell you that what you do is wrong, etc. that's honestly not the case - heck if that were the case i'd join PETA and i don't mean "People Eating Tasty Animals"... ;o)

i'm realistic. i know that hunting is necessary. i just personally can't do. i respect those who can. on that note i purposely joined THF to be a part of a community of conservationists and to from you guys.

if it helps any, we're having tasty broiled red deer steaks for dinner. i'd invite ya'll to join but i wasn't expecting any guests and only defrosted enough for 2. sorry... ;o)

I will take a raincheck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2585291 09/15/11 07:38 PM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt
They might not see "colors" but they see something. No where in nature do large patches of bright colors exist.

That is the most factually inaccurate statement on this thread. Have you ever seen a corral snake. Do me a favor and google South American monkeys. You will find lots that have very bright colored patterns. Go snorkeling in Hawaii and tell me "no where in nature do large patches of bright colors exist." These all occur in nature.

Class of 2003
Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: T4PL] #2585300 09/15/11 07:41 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: T4PL
They might not see "colors" but they see something. No where in nature do large patches of bright colors exist.

That is the most factually inaccurate statement on this thread. Have you ever seen a corral snake. Do me a favor and google South American monkeys. You will find lots that have very bright colored patterns. Go snorkeling in Hawaii and tell me "no where in nature do large patches of bright colors exist." These all occur in nature.

Do we have coral colonies in Texas?

Are coral/king snakes 6 ft tall and 200lbs?

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2585384 09/15/11 08:07 PM
D
dutton1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

rofl

“Politics is the only field in which the more experience you have, the worse you get." KF
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: dutton1] #2585597 09/15/11 09:26 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
popcorn

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Cochise] #2585634 09/15/11 09:47 PM
S
stuko Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Camo or no camo it all comes to personal preference. I wear a full camo bib while hunting in a box blind. Is it necessary, absolutely not. Does it keep me warm IF its cold, Absolutely.

At the same time, I have hunted in snake boots and basketball shorts in tripod, ground, box blinds and did just fine.

When you are taking 1000+ yard shots like me, it really doesn't matter what I wear. rofl

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2586220 09/16/11 02:02 AM
T
T4PL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T

Hey Bill, where in your initial post did you specify a size (the colors on a coral snake are large compared to body size, no?) and geographical region. YOU DIDN'T. Let me quote you again, "NO WHERE IN NATURE DO LARGE PATCHES OF COLOR EXIST". Sorry man, just callin it like I see it. Maybe your world is only as big as Texas.

Class of 2003
Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide