Forums46
Topics538,758
Posts9,740,876
Members87,111
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2576216 09/12/11 03:12 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well if all your doing is sitting in a box blind or pop up blind, you really don't need any camo anyway.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2576229 09/12/11 03:19 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Funny true story. I like camo, and I have several sets in different patterns, including a full Ghillie suit. It might be just-for-show in some cases, depending on the hunting type (archery, spot-and-stalk, etc.) - but I can tell you the Ghillie suit is awesome - I have had all sorts of critters walk so close I could feel their breath - including an eagle who perched right on top of the branch I was sitting under not 18" away.

That being said, this past spring I did an axis doe hunt from exposed tripods with 2 of my buddies. Typical Friday afternoon to Sunday noon hunt. For 2 days we hardly saw any axis (only one small buck) - yet we know they were there - and close to us.

The last morning, I said "sc---w it", and just put on my blue jeans and white t-shirt (my camo was getting a bit gamey after 2 days). Jeans/t-shirt was typical garb for the rancher.

Yup, you guessed it - had the whole axis herd walk out right past me without a care in the world - and I got my doe. Sometimes you have to re-think "blending in".

Another time I was hunting with a local guide on a small private ranch owned by an elder couple. The lady of the house often walked around and put out "treats" for the animals (fruit, nuts, etc.) and always wore a bright pink sun bonnet. The guide confessed this on a hard hunt for a customer one time they weren't seeing any animals and the guy was getting discouraged after 2 days. He borrowed the pink sun bonnet and tried to get the guy to wear it. He refused, thinking nit was a joke or hazing attempt. So the guide put it on and walked around a bit in an open pasture. Almost immediately 2 large axis bucks and several does came out of the woods and followed the trail he was walking - right past his client who got his buck. Too funny - the animals were NOT tame, but they knew that pink bonnet.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: John Humbert] #2576640 09/12/11 05:49 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Hmm.. I must be doing something wrong! I've killed a bunch of coyotes in blue jeans! Hogs too! Wait-yep, even deer. However, my preference is to wear brown Wranglers as my 'hunting pants', and either a camo shirt or something in natural colors. I can get my outline broken up fairly well just by choosing where I sit.

Funny thing about those large, unbroken patterns..deer are mostly one color and large enough that you think they'd stand out as a 'patch' of one color against a background. And yet, they can disappear in plain sight!

I like camo but if I buy it it's only because I LIKE it, I personally don't think I NEED it.

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2577014 09/12/11 08:15 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
why come i don't get credit for understanding the post, i said I wear mossy oak brush because of its dry brush colors, in Menard county where I hunt, there's never anything green on the ground so I wear it.

Guess I don't count muyloco

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2577179 09/12/11 09:24 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: icook'em
ok, this might be a really stupid question, but: does camo really make a difference? or is it just a "i'm-going-hunting" fashion statement? i'm curious - i've been researching this topic out of curiosity for a while and i can't seem to find anything to indicate that dressing in camo makes a big difference.

ok, now before you bash me, please remember i don't hunt - i just cook'em and get curious from time to time...

How come you don't hunt?

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: DCS] #2577184 09/12/11 09:28 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Dickies insulated overalls and jacket in dark solid tan always worked for me.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: tth_40] #2577226 09/12/11 09:45 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
First off I understand the post.. and I want a gold star too grin

Our place is coverd in 4-5 foot tall brown grass during the winter, cant beat a carhart jacket. Past that we have blinds so it doesnt really matter.

One of my budies dad hunts out of a tripod his boys wear all cammo he wears a pair of faded blue jeans and a bright blue shirt, claims it blends in with the sky.. it works for him.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: redchevy] #2577245 09/12/11 09:52 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
unless your wearing a ghillie suit or some other 3D attire, i think the deer can always see you, its whether or not they care your there.

i know i'm not being stealthy in my blind texting, spitting out the window and opening the door to pee

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2577280 09/12/11 10:03 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Somebody explain wearing blaze orange color then???

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2577287 09/12/11 10:06 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
unless your wearing a ghillie suit or some other 3D attire, i think the deer can always see you, its whether or not they care your there.

i know i'm not being stealthy in my blind texting, spitting out the window and opening the door to pee

Deer don't look up in trees, so they don't see you unless you move. Camo/3D suits/whatever just help hide your movement a little bit more.

In a shooting box, who cares what you wear. That's the point of a box blind, isn't it?

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2577321 09/12/11 10:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Deer don't look up in trees, so they don't see you unless you move. Camo/3D suits/whatever just help hide your movement a little bit more.

In a shooting box, who cares what you wear. That's the point of a box blind, isn't it?

I am sitting in a box blind about 120 yrds away. So what is he looking at then if deer don't look up in trees? confused2

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2577488 09/12/11 11:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
[quote=txtrophy85]unless your wearing a ghillie suit or some other 3D attire, i think the deer can always see you, its whether or not they care your there.

Deer don't look up in trees, so they don't see you unless you move. quote]

don't look up my a$$

you need to get away from the CPU and into the woods more

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: stxranchman] #2577794 09/13/11 01:04 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I am sitting in a box blind about 120 yrds away. So what is he looking at then if deer don't look up in trees? confused2

I don't think the buck is looking up the tree to see what the hell is up there. I think he's checking the wind and that's why his nose is up in the air. I've seen plenty of animals do that and not notice me up in a tree even with blue jeans on. They notice movement and scent more than anything else.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Curtis] #2579412 09/13/11 05:21 PM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
exactly Curtis

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Curtis] #2579444 09/13/11 05:32 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I don't think the buck is looking up the tree to see what the hell is up there. I think he's checking the wind and that's why his nose is up in the air. I've seen plenty of animals do that and not notice me up in a tree even with blue jeans on. They notice movement and scent more than anything else.

While I have seen many a deer check the air for scent like this. He was not doing that. up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: stxranchman] #2579512 09/13/11 05:52 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Deer don't look up? Why not? Crazy talk I tell ya!!! I have seen them watch birds, coons, or just watch the magestic sunset in West Texas.

I think that sometimes Camo is more for the hunter than the hunted. I don't know if it works because I have seen deer spot me in full camo and walk past me in blue jeans and dark t-shirt. I do know when I am sitting in a tree or a bush on the ground, I feel better in camo than anything else. I also know that my white face glows like a beacon and if it isn't covered, I tend to get spotted more.

I hear that deer are color blind and that if you wear clothes that are in the same color spectrum as your surroundings, they have a hard time spotting you. Not sure if that is true, but hunter orange does not seem to be in the same spectrum as brown and gray, but people kill deer in it all them time. Figure someone smarter than me figured that out though.

I still wear camo unless I am in a ground blind or tower. Don't care if it works as long as I feel confident I have done my best to improve my chances. 2cents

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txshntr] #2579839 09/13/11 07:45 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
What I should have said is that deer don't look for people in trees.

If they see movement or smell something, yeah they will try to figure out what it is.

If camo can help break up your outline and hide movement a little bit, it is well worth it. That was my only point.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: DCS] #2581825 09/14/11 01:55 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: DCS
ok, this might be a really stupid question, but: does camo really make a difference? or is it just a "i'm-going-hunting" fashion statement? i'm curious - i've been researching this topic out of curiosity for a while and i can't seem to find anything to indicate that dressing in camo makes a big difference.

ok, now before you bash me, please remember i don't hunt - i just cook'em and get curious from time to time...

How come you don't hunt?

i love all cute little, furry critters. and i can't explain it to the point that it will make much sense to anyone else, but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

ALL THAT SAID, let me answer the next unspoken question: yes, i do eat meat. once an animal no longer looks cute and furry, but instead like a chunk of meat like i would see at a butcher shop i even help process it.

i completely respect people who hunt to eat. i don't really care for people who just do it for the thrill.

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2582363 09/14/11 05:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

i completely respect people who hunt to eat. i don't really care for people who just do it for the thrill.

God gave main dominion over all the creatures in the sky, on land and in water.

Hunting is one of the biggest thrills you can have in this life, the kill is just a part of it. I suggest you try it sometime

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2582386 09/14/11 05:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

God gave main dominion over all the creatures in the sky, on land and in water.

Hunting is one of the biggest thrills you can have in this life, the kill is just a part of it. I suggest you try it sometime

X2

It's hell eatin em live
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2582388 09/14/11 05:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

How come you don't hunt?

i love all cute little, furry critters. and i can't explain it to the point that it will make much sense to anyone else, but i personally feel like i have no right to decide what lives or dies, and i have no right to take a life. i personally feel that its like playing God, and those are some big shoes to fill and i don't want to go near them.

ALL THAT SAID, let me answer the next unspoken question: yes, i do eat meat. once an animal no longer looks cute and furry, but instead like a chunk of meat like i would see at a butcher shop i even help process it.

This is a hunting forum... not a cooking forum

It's hell eatin em live
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2582427 09/14/11 05:24 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

I think the last statement can be a little misleading. Some of the people that hunt "just for the thrill" care more and do more for the animals than anyone else. I would say that many if not most hunters hunt for the thrill of it, or they wouldn't do it. Few hunt out of necessity anymore, mainly due to the cost.

That being said, hunters do more and give back more to the environment, animals, and have created organizations that make up a majority of the funds that go to creating wetlands, help with habitation improvements, restocking, etc.

I love to hunt, I eat most of the animals that I kill, but don't let me fool you...I hunt for the thrill of it but I don't hunt to kill. I have much respect for the animals that I hunt and I have risked my body numerous times to save animals from fences, mud, creeks, crevices and sometimes have had to put them down to alleviate their suffering.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: redchevy] #2582444 09/14/11 05:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

How come you don't hunt?

as i sit here in my office surrounded by my mounts, I just realized how awesome hunting is.....

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2582670 09/14/11 07:03 PM
T
Tree Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Bought me some new camo this year too.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: redchevy] #2583022 09/14/11 09:37 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: redchevy

How come you don't hunt?

i realize this is a hunting forum. i married into a hunting family. i'm here to learn about hunting and hunting culture. as mentioned, i am not against it and i respect those who choose to hunt. it's just not my thing.

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide