Forums46
Topics538,906
Posts9,742,829
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) #2390982 06/26/11 02:25 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I am sure there will be some comments about safety, do I have good life insuarnce, am I nuts, etc....and to be honest I agree and yes....I dont think I will ever do this again - getting too old for this kinda stuff (I am going to be sore beyond belief tomorrow). However, the view I have is pretty incredible. It is gonna serve as a bow and rifle stand. I always wanted a tower ladder stand (one of those hunters that just really likes being as high as I can get - so now I have one.) Good thing about a ladder stand this high - is the height will deter just about everyone so no need to worry about someone being in the stand and if you fall you probably wont limp away from it (as Ron White would say) smile

Believe it or not I hung this thing myself today. Took 5 1/2 hours and dont think I will ever do it again - I used a harness all the way up and a cheater pulley (with rope that turned out to be 3 feet short to latch on to stand. That took about an hour to get resolved.) The pic of the stand half way up the tree is 3 hours into the game. yes it really sucked. by the way that is a 17 ft ladder leaning against the tree. You will notice the pully is about 8 -10 ft higher than top of ladder and well below where the platform ends up???? Thank goodness for strong oak limbs and a good harness and God smile This is a modified stand from Sportsmanguide that only has one "tree biter" as I call it (metal thing at platform that "bites" into tree). Word of advice - NEVER buy a ladder stand with just one "biter". Especially a top heavy one. Will want to twist away from the tree all the way up and with the slightest movement. Takes double the straps and two ladder supports to get most of the play out. I was too far gone to take it back to the drawing board. I am still not finished getting it absolutely rock solid as far as the side to side play but think I have it figured out. I made a custom truss system to take the bow out of the multiple ladder pieces. It is 21ft to the platform and will be 24 ft to the shooting rail. (the stand was 15 ft when I bought it - extra ladder pieces came from another stand). I still have to put up the lightweight walls and roof. I had to stop because I ran out of water and truck battery had went dead. When I discovered that I was past the point of dehydrated - by the time I got back to camphouse heat exhaustion kicked in and was pretty scary. Next weekend I will be better prepared and figiring out how to get the rest of the pieces up there.

Sorry the pics are sideways - photobucket kept resizing them that way????

[img:center][/img]

Last edited by Bonner; 06/26/11 02:36 AM.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2391473 06/26/11 03:11 PM
G
gogburn Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Wow, I got nosebleed just looking at the pictures. You would have to have some monster bucks for me to even think about "borrowing" that spot to hunt.

I know you haven't finished but with putting on walls and ceiling still to go that seems like a lot of weight. You might want to think about putting a couple of diagonal 2x4's under that platform back to each side of the tree to help carry that weight. That might help with the side to side play as well.

Good Luck, looking good so far.

Good Hunting,
Gary
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: gogburn] #2391516 06/26/11 03:44 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Thanks Gary - yeah, the land owner called me yesterday and asked me if I was feeling alright due to the altitude and then suggested i may need to rethink my idea of preferred height of stands. I look and feel like I was in a brawl yesterday.

It really is a great spot and will not have to worry a bit about getting winded by any deer.

I can assure you I will not start putting any of the walls up until I have this thing rock solid. I actually have two pieces of metal tubing that will be diagonal braces from platform that I will lag into the tree above platform.

however you just gave me another idea for additional support from under the platform.

Believe it or not, the walls and roof really arent that heavy - I too was initially concerned about weight which is why the walls are framed with really dry and light 2xs and skinned with underlayment. I wont last forever but will serve its purpose. I also may put some tposts at the base. Once I get the walls up I will then put spme diagnal two by fours on outside of walls and lag to tree as well. Just want to be able to hunt with peace of mind as opposed to worrying. I hunt for 6-7 hours at a time so I want to have all the protection I can get from the elements which is why I am putting a box on it. I just wasnt happy with the metal tube rail and skinning it with camo material.

It has definitely been a good learning experience.

Originally Posted By: gogburn
Wow, I got nosebleed just looking at the pictures. You would have to have some monster bucks for me to even think about "borrowing" that spot to hunt.

I know you haven't finished but with putting on walls and ceiling still to go that seems like a lot of weight. You might want to think about putting a couple of diagonal 2x4's under that platform back to each side of the tree to help carry that weight. That might help with the side to side play as well.

Good Luck, looking good so far.

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2392407 06/27/11 01:42 AM
G
gollygee Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I keep thinking of Charles Bronson in "Death Wish". I hope you are not shooting a "bad bucker" - about one trip around that tree is all I could handle.

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: gollygee] #2392696 06/27/11 03:17 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
You might win the Darwin Award this year!

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: hoof n wings] #2394842 06/28/11 01:22 AM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
That would be fantastic - you are talking about the Chuck Darwin Award for Excellence in Hunting and Ingenuity???? smile

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
You might win the Darwin Award this year!

Last edited by Bonner; 06/28/11 01:23 AM.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2394897 06/28/11 01:47 AM
M
michael rice Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
lol can i get some life insurance on you fast lol j/k

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: michael rice] #2404591 07/02/11 11:04 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Well got the ladder solid as the tree so I was good to go to start putting up the box. Ran out of gas (exhausted) before I could hoist final piece - the front wall. Wind has been blowing constantly all year and not a breath of air blowing this morning. Thought maybe way up there I would get some of the jet stream etc but no dice. Had a deer or coyote walk out about 275 yds away while I was hoisting up chair - never even looked my way.

[img:center][/img] c="http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc374/bonner13/ladderstand8.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>[/img]

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2407144 07/04/11 08:28 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Need to see some views from that thing!!!

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: pegasaurus] #2407291 07/04/11 10:10 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Finished it up today - meant to take pictures before putting up temporary screen but best I could do. It turned out really nice. Roof is collapsible but not very functional or airtight
(this creating a bee box) so I just opted to put up screen and will revisit plexiwindows/roof/window situation next season (or this one if time allows). Rather fight wasp, than coons and buzzards at 24 ft. Still have 3 more stands and feeders to get up (this was the tallest and most extensive). Everything else will be a piece of cake for me from here on out. Here are final pics (feeder is 26 yds for bow season):

Last edited by Bonner; 07/04/11 10:11 PM.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2407460 07/05/11 12:07 AM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
eek2

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: westtex75] #2407476 07/05/11 12:28 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
eeks333

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bear Charge] #2407517 07/05/11 01:15 AM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
WOW........... Not sure what to say about this one.

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #2410957 07/06/11 08:30 PM
S
Skunk Ape Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I'm getting the "monkey humping a football" vibe from this set up...great view though!

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Skunk Ape] #2412960 07/07/11 07:11 PM
T
TX35 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm scared of heights, so there is NO WAY I could get up there!!!

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: TX35] #2412990 07/07/11 07:21 PM
M
michael rice Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: TX35
I'm scared of heights, so there is NO WAY I could get up there!!!

x2

looks good

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: michael rice] #2413641 07/08/11 12:31 AM
B
Big.Man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
this looks great!!!

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Big.Man] #2417449 07/09/11 11:11 PM
B
BrianB Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Very nice view. I know I wasn't asked for my 2 cents, but felt compelled to add it. You mentioned possibly putting t-posts at the base. I have heard of people falling on them and getting killed, and this was just from filling up a corn feeder height. Just make sure you don't leave the t-posts sticking out from the ladder where you could fall on them. For what its worth.

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: BrianB] #2417977 07/10/11 04:23 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
very inovative!!! best of luck to ya this season

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: BrianB] #2419971 07/11/11 07:05 AM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You mentioned possibly putting t-posts at the base. I have heard of people falling on them and getting killed, and this was just from filling up a corn feeder height.

A few years back a Garlnd Cop was killed. He was spraing wasp in a stand and fell on a T post. He was able to pull his self off before calling his young sonfor help. A guy I know was on the lease with him and heard the call over the two way.
The T post were used to tie the stand down. Folks need to look at the way they are building thing closer. This was not his stand but I was told he was a great guy

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: TGalyon1] #2420501 07/11/11 04:04 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Thanks guys - contrary to popular belief I don't have a death wish:) getting impaled on tposts makes me cringe. (Not to mention I am a former officer so to close to home).I actually had thought about it but the way I started over and restrapped everything made it solid as the tree. Only way this stand is coming doen is if the tree comes down. If I would have gone with tposts they would have been put in at same angle as legs and right next to each leg - mostlikely in back.had some cows start rubbing on the ladder first week it was up before restrapping and securing which was another reason why I was considering the option. Thay have stopped for now (man I hate cows).

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2430351 07/15/11 03:33 PM
T
TX_Kevin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I bet on a windy day you'd be in for a heck of a ride. I can imagine what going down that ladder would be like in a storm. Eek!

TX_Kevin
Every day above ground is a good day...
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: TX_Kevin] #2430753 07/15/11 06:51 PM
B
Bonner Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
I will have a backup stand out in this same area if the weather is too bad - HOWEVER, if me climbing up there would bring us a storm, I will be happy to climb up and down that thing all season long. You are correct - a really windy day will add a little "extra" to the experience smile

Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: Bonner] #2430853 07/15/11 07:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You do understand about thermals don't you and your scent? From what I can tell the base is sitting on top of a 2x4 and when the wind blows it is going to drop off of that base the way it looks to me. You are very top heavy now and the box is going to catch a lot of wind as well as that tree. First good norther will be very interesting. Will definetly increase the pucker factor. What was the weight limit on the ladder stand before the add ons?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Tweaked Ladder Stand - Manufacturers' Nightmare (but what a view) [Re: stxranchman] #2431719 07/16/11 02:13 AM
K
Knightdiscshooter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Great stand bonner.. just wondering when your free so you can take me out there I'd like to go skydiving from it! Lol! And yes I do really skydive smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide