Forums46
Topics538,717
Posts9,740,430
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: godfather] #2388002 06/24/11 02:17 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: godfather
Originally Posted By: Keith Stone
your post

I keep a lease in Red River co cuz the guys on it are great to hang with, the price is right (like under 500) and I can store all my feeders, stands and stuff. The hunting is not great but we do get some very nice deer on cam every year, in fact we have a contest every year to see who can get the best buck (on cam).

Good example of my point. If yall are lucky enough to get one of the good ones, be sure not to let the land owner see it, the price might jump up on ya!

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Lazy L] #2388418 06/24/11 05:35 PM
R
RodinaRanč Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Keith Stone
....hopefully they will take you up on that offer.

No PMs yet; contact info is also on our website if that's preferred.

Last edited by RodinaRanč; 06/24/11 05:41 PM.

RodinaRanc,LLC
huntinfo@rodinahunts.com
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: quartierleblanc] #2389406 06/25/11 02:41 AM
M
matt117 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: quartierleblanc
Total powderpuff old son. You're laughable if you weren't so disappointing in the backbone department. I've never insulted anyone here. Yet you find your guts in a keyboard. Typical. But back to the politics. The same thing was said about the assault weapon bill during the Clinton administration and the final bill was far worse than what was initially proposed. It would be very foolish to think this bill is not dangerous.

I'm such a powderpuff I put on a uniform and defend this country everyday so your dumbarse can exist and have the freedom to spread misinformation. Dude I actually feel bad for you, it's like picking on a retard kid... Oh and by the way, the Clinton era gun bans are over tough guy.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Eland Slayer] #2389444 06/25/11 03:02 AM
W
webe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
The people of this State need to act or a privledged few will very soon own all the large native game. I have spent a great deal of money to pay for the privledge to hunt on private land and more than once had long term investments ruined by new high fences. Not to mention the baiting to trap State of Texas Game Animals into these high fence properties from adjoining land. These State of Texas Game Animals should be able to free range. High fences should be regulated not hunting.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: webe] #2389569 06/25/11 03:51 AM
G
godfather Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: webe
The people of this State need to act or a privledged few will very soon own all the large native game. I have spent a great deal of money to pay for the privledge to hunt on private land and more than once had long term investments ruined by new high fences. Not to mention the baiting to trap State of Texas Game Animals into these high fence properties from adjoining land. These State of Texas Game Animals should be able to free range. High fences should be regulated not hunting.

Power to the people brother! Lets tear the all the high fences down! That way all the big deer they grew behind the HF can walk in front of us so we can shoot them! No matter the time and money they spend to build the fence and grow the deer. F them, I spent two hundred and fifty dollars on corn this year to hunt the 12 ac I have behind the house. The only reason I am not shooting 150in deer is all the dadgum people around me put up HF!

OK so most of that was tongue and cheek but seriously the folks that put up a 100% legal HF and spent money (and missed on hunting)to growing big deer "have spent a great deal of money to pay for the privilege to hunt on private land"and if you hinder them from hunting their own land you will have "ruined their long term investments by new low fences.'

Notice how I used your words? I thought that was slick but the truth is no one is ever convinced to change their minds about anything because of something they read on an internet forum. You think the way you think and I think the way I think. Wouldn’t life be boring if everyone thought the same?

C 1/9
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Eland Slayer] #2390020 06/25/11 02:20 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
In fact, the VAST MAJORITY are large family-owned ranches that simply use the fence as a management tool to better manage native game and/or exotics on their land.

native game should not be managed and when you do they become livestock, no such thing as a trophy nowdays . A true free roaming buck that has not been manipulated is truely a trophy to be proud of, if it comes off a fence its no better than a goat

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390030 06/25/11 02:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: vanguard
In fact, the VAST MAJORITY are large family-owned ranches that simply use the fence as a management tool to better manage native game and/or exotics on their land.

native game should not be managed and when you do they become livestock, no such thing as a trophy nowdays . A true free roaming buck that has not been manipulated is truely a trophy to be proud of, if it comes off a fence its no better than a goat

Every time you pull the trigger you make a management decision, what you call it is up to you.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: stxranchman] #2390036 06/25/11 02:32 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Every time you pull the trigger you make a management decision, what you call it is up to you.

yes I managed to pull the trigger, hehehe but serious its one thing to let a small one walk, its another thing to cage deer and and feed the crap out of them.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390048 06/25/11 02:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

yes I managed to pull the trigger, hehehe but serious its one thing to let a small one walk, its another thing to cage deer and and feed the crap out of them.

So I guess deer LF do not eat what hunters provide or plant for them? confused2

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: stxranchman] #2390061 06/25/11 02:48 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

So I guess deer LF do not eat what hunters provide or plant for them? confused2 [/quote]

but there free to leave and get shot by other hunters or to evade other hunters, if he makes it to his prime, hes truely a trophy. under a fence hes cattle

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390087 06/25/11 03:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

So I guess deer LF do not eat what hunters provide or plant for them? confused2

but there free to leave and get shot by other hunters or to evade other hunters, if he makes it to his prime, hes truely a trophy. under a fence hes cattle [/quote]
So they are managed then. Buck lives his whole life in a feed pen on a LF ranch and his a trophy now and not livestock. up

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390095 06/25/11 03:06 PM
W
webe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Check out the definition of "Trophy" at Boone and Crockett/Pope and Young.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: webe] #2390113 06/25/11 03:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yep, born and raised in a feeder pen, alfalfa field, or a soybean field it does make a difference and has had 10,000 trail cam pics of him to pattern him for 6 yrs till he is old enough and all LF where he can escape.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: stxranchman] #2390141 06/25/11 03:29 PM
M
matt117 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

Yep, born and raised in a feeder pen, alfalfa field, or a soybean field it does make a difference and has had 10,000 trail cam pics of him to pattern him for 6 yrs till he is old enough and all LF where he can escape.

I actually expected a better answer than that...

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: matt117] #2390167 06/25/11 03:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
See the problem you HF guys have trying to say that HF shooting is just like low fence hunting is that your argument is circular and disingenuous because IF IT WERE ALL THE SAME THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE FENCE.

THE FENCE IS THERE SO YOU CAN CONTROL THE ANIMALS. IF YOU SAY ANYTHING DIFFERENT YOU ARE EITHER LYING TO US OR TO YOURSELVES.

And controlling the animals means you are NOT HUNTING. Hunters don't control animals-they match wits with animals who are free to go where they wish. They can attempt to influence their travels with scent,food,etc. But this is not controlling them. A buck can choose not to travel a certain path or avoid a food source.When he is behind a GAME PROOF FENCE he is under your control,not his own choice.

It is really as simple as that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2390241 06/25/11 04:34 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
And controlling the animals means you are NOT HUNTING. Hunters don't control animals-they match wits with animals who are free to go where they wish. They can attempt to influence their travels with scent,food,etc. But this is not controlling them. A buck can choose not to travel a certain path or avoid a food source.When he is behind a GAME PROOF FENCE he is under your control,not his own choice.

First of all, it is not that simple.....you make it sound as if we have a mind control device in all high fenced deer. Trust me, you cannot MAKE a mature whitetail buck do ANYTHING.....high fence or low fence.

Second of all.....your quote "And controlling the animals means you are NOT HUNTING.".....this is YOUR OPINION (which you are most certainly entitled to).....but it is not necessarily what hunting "IS". Just because you have an opinion, you believe everyone who doesn't follow your train of thought and hunt like you hunt is "not a real hunter". Give me a break man....just live and let live. I'm tired to listening to this condescending bullsh*t!!

NO ONE is making you hunt in a fence.....so DON'T!! I could not possibly care less about what "Nogalus Prairie" does either way.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Eland Slayer] #2390260 06/25/11 04:49 PM
M
matt117 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

First of all, it is not that simple.....you make it sound as if we have a mind control device in all high fenced deer. Trust me, you cannot MAKE a mature whitetail buck do ANYTHING.....high fence or low fence.

Second of all.....your quote "And controlling the animals means you are NOT HUNTING.".....this is YOUR OPINION (which you are most certainly entitled to).....but it is not necessarily what hunting "IS". Just because you have an opinion, you believe everyone who doesn't follow your train of thought and hunt like you hunt is "not a real hunter". Give me a break man....just live and let live. I'm tired to listening to this condescending bullsh*t!!

NO ONE is making you hunt in a fence.....so DON'T!! I could not possibly care less about what "Nogalus Prairie" does either way.

I think I have not let personal opinion influence most of my posts here, but here is why people who don't agree with high fence do so. And correct me if I am wrong.

In a HF the owner controls the hunting pressure and determines the range that an animal is able to range.
Therefore they can feed non native food so that the deer has every opportunity to grow as large as possible and very little chance of that deer (investment) getting away.
They can cull out bad genetics and manipulate which animals are allowed to breed so that there are superior antler genetics.
And lastly they can make it easier to locate these animals because they provide the best food for the animal, far superior to native flora and fauna.

See it's that advantage and manipulation that people think make this a lesser hunt. Now can you do this on a LF ranch? Sure as long as it's large enough.
But the reason people on here are tired of you guys trying to say it's the same is because you parade these huge deer like it was in incredible hunt.

I agree it's incredible but it’s incredible that you got a deer to get that big, not that you hunted that deer. Because you have watched that deer grow and gave it a chance to get big, then took it when you wanted to.

Is that too hard to understand?

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: matt117] #2390286 06/25/11 05:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's all too hard to under stand when you refuse to understand.

When a man says that killing animals under your control is hunting that man is beyond reasoning with. But that's perfectly understandable given his stake in the matter. I post mainly so that others will not buy into incredible arguments just because someone is making them.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #2390394 06/25/11 06:32 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I

Exactly!!!!! And that's why some of you LF guys are so frustrating. At least three different HF outfitters have offered to let you see their operations for free and no one has even tried to see the other side. You refuse to consider the information and question the truthfulness of the source because it challenges your prejudice against high-fence.

Michael Mitchell - Insight Hunting
830-459-5769
http://www.insighthunting.com
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: matt117] #2390396 06/25/11 06:32 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: matt117

I think I have not let personal opinion influence most of my posts here, but here is why people who don't agree with high fence do so. And correct me if I am wrong.

In a HF the owner controls the hunting pressure and determines the range that an animal is able to range.
So you can not manipulate the habitat or bedding areas to your advantage LF? Look in the midwest were there is very little bedding cover in some areas for deer to live and hide amongst 1,000's of acres of farm land. The Milk River is another that comes to mind when saying fair chase is tougher. Watch the hunting shows from there to see just how the hunts are "tougher".
Therefore they can feed non native food so that the deer has every opportunity to grow as large as possible and very little chance of that deer (investment) getting away.
Define non native food? Pellets are non-native food but they do not know what fence they are placed behind nor does the deer that eats them where ever he is standing. Farmed crops are not native food and planted for ag purposes along with food plots for game. So does this make those deer killed in the midwest less of a trophy since he lives his entire life in farm country on a non-native diet?
They can cull out bad genetics and manipulate which animals are allowed to breed so that there are superior antler genetics.
I guess they do not practice management LF?
And lastly they can make it easier to locate these animals because they provide the best food for the animal, far superior to native flora and fauna.
I guess food plots and trail cameras do not make the those deer any less credible since they were taken LF but they were patterned the same as the HF deer on non-native forage.
See it's that advantage and manipulation that people think make this a lesser hunt. Now can you do this on a LF ranch? Sure as long as it's large enough.
Size of the ranch hunted LF does not make it anymore difficult to achieve what you are saying with todays toys that available to hunter as the location would be more critical.
But the reason people on here are tired of you guys trying to say it's the same is because you parade these huge deer like it was in incredible hunt.

I agree it's incredible but it’s incredible that you got a deer to get that big, not that you hunted that deer. Because you have watched that deer grow and gave it a chance to get big, then took it when you wanted to.
A man who does the samething you stated above that kills the LF makes it more credible?
Is that too hard to understand?
Not hard to understand but what is hard for some to grasp is that it is the same practices that are done one way that are interpreted a different way when it comes to a fence height.

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Insight Hunting] #2390404 06/25/11 06:35 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: Insight Hunting

Exactly!!!!! And that's why some of you LF guys are so frustrating. At least three different HF outfitters have offered to let you see their operations for free and no one has even tried to see the other side. You refuse to consider the information and question the truthfulness of the source because it challenges your prejudice against high-fence.

im prjudice of HF becase I have hunted them , it is what it is, nothing more than livestock

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: stxranchman] #2390407 06/25/11 06:37 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
People develop a sense of moral-superiority because they believe the deer can hide better if the fence is shorter. The facts that deer rarely roam far from the LF feeder or that they can just as easily disappear on most HF places are irrelevant.

830-459-5769
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390412 06/25/11 06:39 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I

im prjudice of HF becase I have hunted them , it is what it is, nothing more than livestock

Vanguard, I can respect your opinion. I disagree with it but I can respect it.

830-459-5769
Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: Insight Hunting] #2390416 06/25/11 06:42 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
People develop a sense of moral-superiority because they believe the deer can hide better if the fence is shorter. The facts that deer rarely roam far from the LF feeder or that they can just as easily disappear on most HF places are irrelevant.

hog wash, a buck during the rut will roam miles not to mention bucks growing up will be pushed to new territories, all which are not capable under a HF, all newborns are stuck there. In a true wild scenario an acre of land can only sustain so many deer, to many they die or move on, under a fence the feeding allows for a lot more deer per acre,
your wrong

Re: How to help the hunting industry..... [Re: vanguard] #2390425 06/25/11 06:52 PM
I
Insight Hunting Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
The "true wild" scenario ignores the fact that LF hunters are planting food plots and setting up feeders to make sure the deer don't leave to find better forage. Also, fawns will be trapped by a quality LF (goat wire as opposed to barbed wire) just as easily as a HF. Yes, bucks move during the rut, but not that far and they usually come back. You're pointing to the exception rather than the rule.

Van, it's like this. You say the HF operation you hunted was hunting livestock. I won't dispute that because I've seen operations just like that. My problem is that when HF guys share their experiences they're called liars or at least biased because they make money hunting. I haven't seen you do this but it occurs with regularity.

I enjoy a good debate and will argue the facts all day long without harboring any animosity. At the end of the day we can agree to disagree.

830-459-5769
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide