H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: JPF
Originally Posted By: helomech
[quote=Icouldbeyou]
"Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Care to show me in the above text where is says except game wardens, or unless you are hunting.

What right was violated in this case? Game warden sees cooler, game warden has probable cause. I am a stanch supporter in the constitution and bill of rights, I see no problem with the GW in this case. As for other instances I agree there are problems but what can you expect, its been overruled and butchered for the past 200 years to where we no longer know what our rights are, that is for another thread though, nobody's rights were violated here though.

Did you read the amendment? Where does it say a search can be accomplished without a warrant? PLEASE SHOW ME. Where was the game wardens warrant with the oath, or affirmation, the place to be searched, and the person or things to be seized?

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: QuackerJacks] #1916619 12/13/10 05:27 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
[quote=Icouldbeyou]

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Care to show me in the above text where is says except game wardens, or unless you are hunting.

What right was violated in this case? Game warden sees cooler, game warden has probable cause. I am a stanch supporter in the constitution and bill of rights, I see no problem with the GW in this case. As for other instances I agree there are problems but what can you expect, its been overruled and butchered for the past 200 years to where we no longer know what our rights are, that is for another thread though, nobody's rights were violated here though.

This is pretty clear and the people claiming that we have an erosion of rights on this are wrong. Sorry but you are.

Look up the 4th amendment to the constitution. Look at the game laws.

If you are hunting the GW has the right to search you, your cooler your gun, etc. Very clear, cut and dry.

If your buddy had not broken the law this would be a non-issue.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: helomech] #1916623 12/13/10 05:29 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
[quote=Icouldbeyou]

Did you read the amendment? Where does it say a search can be accomplished without a warrant? PLEASE SHOW ME. Where was the game wardens warrant with the oath, or affirmation, the place to be searched, and the person or things to be seized?

If you are so set on this being wrong I think you should get a lawyer and challenge it. It will be thrown out at every level.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: TexasEd] #1916668 12/13/10 05:40 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
[quote=Icouldbeyou]

If you are so set on this being wrong I think you should get a lawyer and challenge it. It will be thrown out at every level.

Your right about one thing, it would be thrown out, and I bet you don't even know why.

Also this statement right here shows to me you know NOTHING about the laws.

Why don't you explain to me how state law can supersede federal law? Again if you think that a game warden can search you without a warrant (I know they do it) than you either can't read the constitution or you don't give a crap about it. I know it happens, but that does not make it constitutional. You seem to be fine with the states or the federal government doing what they want even if it violates the constitution, just as long as every person obeys all the laws they put in place.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: TexasEd] #1916685 12/13/10 05:43 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
[quote=Icouldbeyou]

This is pretty clear and the people claiming that we have an erosion of rights on this are wrong. Sorry but you are.

Pretty clear you can't read a few sentences and understand them. The 4th amendment is not complicated.

Quote:
Look up the 4th amendment to the constitution. Look at the game laws.[/qutoe]

I did, even posted it above. Now show me in the 4th amendment where search is allowed without a warrant. Can't can you?

[quote]If you are hunting the GW has the right to search you, your cooler your gun, etc. Very clear, cut and dry.

Yes state law says that, not arguing that. But what I am saying is that state law is violating the 4th amendment.

Quote:
If your buddy had not broken the law this would be a non-issue.

My buddy, don't even know the guy.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: R.T.] #1916705 12/13/10 05:48 PM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Randy T
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/penalties/

Here you go.

INSPECTION AUTHORITY: A game warden who observes a person engaged in an activity governed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code or reasonably believes that a person is or has been engaged in such an activity may inspect:
1.any license, permit, tag, or other document issued by the department and required by the Texas Parks and Wildife Code of a person hunting or catching wildlife resources;
2.any device that may be used to hunt or catch a wildlife resource;
3.any wildlife resource in the person's possession; and
4.the contents of any container or receptacle that is commonly used to store or conceal a wildlife resource.

green is good
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: birddog14] #1916833 12/13/10 06:25 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This is sort of on topic, back on the first of December I went deer hunting in San Angelo, on the third I was driving home almost to Abilene, this paticular area my GPS shows the speed limit of 70 but a DPS officer stopped me and told me that the speed limit was 60. He gave me a warning but what made me think of the situation is the fact while asking me all the usual questions I mentioned deer hunting and he wanted to see the tag on the body which in this case I kept the head. The meat was on ice in the chest, Im pretty sure if I didnt have that proof he would have called the GW and the warning would have been more that just that.

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: wal1809] #1916835 12/13/10 06:25 PM
I
Icouldbeyou Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Originally Posted By: Icouldbeyou
At what point are you giving up your constitutional rights? The Supreme Court is responsible for making sure that our constitutional rights are protected, and they have not deemed a warden's inspection authority unconstitutional.
I am looking now to see if it has ever been challenged. That is the only way it can be reviewed by the Supreme Court.

The legislture has granted inspection authority to gw's when it comes to certain activities. That is the only way it can be done, if protecting our resources is important. It is NOT the same as stopping a car on the highway and doing random searches for narcotics and other contraband.
There are a lot of issues with this very subject and the Supreme Court has been very clear on the right to be free of a random search.

What a game warden is doing is not random, it is an inspection for resources, licenses, legal means etc...Hunting is a privilege, not a right, and with that you give up certain expectations of privacy while engaged in hunting and fishing. One day the state may change the authority of gw's and require probable cause to "search" a container that may be used to store game, if that does happen, then I'd imagine that bag limits and other regulations would be broken more than what they are already. Who wants that?

Certainly I don't want this to happen. I am just a red blooded American who believes there should be a brick wall twix us and government encroachment. I simply do not want to become a head buried in the sand type of person. I'll give an example. War rages on the border today right now. I can see the government coming up with "well since you are driving on a major drug corridor we have the right to stop and search" or "we have the right to conduct check points". (Which if you have ever been to south Texas you know they are already and have been in place). I get stopped and questioned everytime I come through there. I have had my truck inspected, boat inspected ect.

My point is where do we put the foot down. I don't know as I am a hunter and don't want our rescourses depleted. I will sstill hunt. I will remain in compliance and offer consent to search. I have nothing to hide. I just don't want to see an erosion of what was given to us. The sstopping of this erosion begins right here where people get together and talk about it. If we don't and we just shrug our shoulders then we are to blame.

Everybody is getting caught up in the word "search". Game Wardens are not "searching" anything, they have a right to inspect. I know that seems like semantics, but in the eyes of the law it is huge. If you know anything about the law, you know wording is everything. For example, a lot of people on here throw the phrases "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion" around, and dont really know the meaning of either of them. They have two different meanings and with that comes different actions LEO's are allowed to take when each circumstance is reached.
Also, game wardens are not randomly searching people, they are inspecting people partaking in hunting, fishing and water safety. Show me in the 4th amendment were it protects against inspections. I'm just saying that it may seem trivial to nit pick on the wording, but there is a reason each and every word of the constitution, the penal code, the code of criminal procedure, the parks and wildlife code etc., was choosen, and that was for its specific meaning. The terms "robable case" and "reasonable suspicion" don't apply to GW when they are inspecting a hunter and his/her containers that may hold a resource, because it is not deemed a "search". Now when a violation is founded based on the "inspection", these terms come into play because to cite or arrest somebody, probable cause has to be present.
And the line HAS been drawn; at game wardens dealing with hunters and fisherman. The legislature hasn't given any other activities this same inspection authority. Why? I couldn't tell you, but as long as the game wardens have that ability, they should use it, because the law says they can.
Again it's NOT the same as a state trooper just pulling people over on the highway and conducting an unreasonable search.

Peace and Hair Grease
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: wal1809] #1916858 12/13/10 06:32 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

Here is where I am torn with the law. We have given up this one freedom to be free of a random search as long as we are hunting. I didn't even know this was a law in effect. Now never have being abused by this law and always being treated well (other than a disagreement) Is a good thing. But what happens when one bad seed appears. Our rights to be free of searches are not in place. What law does a citizen get to rely upon if in the event a bad seed appears. How does he go about protecting himself. I have to say they have done well in the choices and training of the game wardens. These rights were not put in place to protect the citizen from the good officers, they were set in motion to give us the right to stop the bad ones.

Totally agree with that statement, but it is a tough thing to decide. If you make a law protecting the citizen, then how would you ever catch poachers?

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Justin T] #1916876 12/13/10 06:35 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
when you open something to look inside it is searching, and the law is supposed to know specifically what they are searching for.

#sigline
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: helomech] #1916878 12/13/10 06:36 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

WHAT PART DO YOU NOT GET? Seems to me you don't give a rats arse about the constitution in this case for sure. It does not matter if it is a right or not, you don't give up your rights no matter what happens. Even when someone is killed the murder still has rights.

Also the supreme court can only rule on a case that is brought before them. And speaking of the supreme court do you honestly believe they all give a crap about the constitution?

I think that depends on if you think checking a cooler is reasonable or not.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Icouldbeyou] #1916894 12/13/10 06:41 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Changing the wording does not make it legal. The founders did not use every term possible to make a statement. Anyone with a brain knows that if a person in authority makes you open something to look in side they are searching it. Call it inspected or whatever you want, you and I both know that is not the intent the founders put in the constitution.

So if what you are saying is okay, than I can shoot at a deer out of season to inspect it, just can't hunt it right?

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Justin T] #1916898 12/13/10 06:42 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Justin T

WHAT PART DO YOU NOT GET? Seems to me you don't give a rats arse about the constitution in this case for sure. It does not matter if it is a right or not, you don't give up your rights no matter what happens. Even when someone is killed the murder still has rights.

Also the supreme court can only rule on a case that is brought before them. And speaking of the supreme court do you honestly believe they all give a crap about the constitution?

That can be said about anything, everyone has a different point in what is reasonable and not.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: #Hayraker] #1916921 12/13/10 06:52 PM
I
Icouldbeyou Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: Hayraker
when you open something to look inside it is searching, and the law is supposed to know specifically what they are searching for.

This is not entirely true. This is my point. If a game warden checks a person hunting or fishing and opens their cooler, then it is an "inspection". There is a difference. The same way a "pat-down" of a person, a "frisk" of a vehicle, or a "protective sweep" of a house is NOT deemed a "search".
Opening a cooler CAN be considered a "search" in some instances, and therefore the 4th amendment applies. For instance, an LEO on a traffic stop on a public road where there is no reason to belive that the person in the vehicle was engaged in any activity governed by TPWD, opening the cooler in the bed of his pickup truck based on inspection authority would be wrong. The LEO would need p.c., consent, or a warrant to go into the cooler.

Peace and Hair Grease
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Icouldbeyou] #1916934 12/13/10 06:57 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

This is not entirely true. This is my point. If a game warden checks a person hunting or fishing and opens their cooler, then it is an "inspection". There is a difference. The same way a "pat-down" of a person, a "frisk" of a vehicle, or a "protective sweep" of a house is NOT deemed a "search".
Opening a cooler CAN be considered a "search" in some instances, and therefore the 4th amendment applies. For instance, an LEO on a traffic stop on a public road where there is no reason to belive that the person in the vehicle was engaged in any activity governed by TPWD, opening the cooler in the bed of his pickup truck based on inspection authority would be wrong. The LEO would need p.c., consent, or a warrant to go into the cooler.

All the things you mention are for officer protection, pat downs and such, way different. When you look in something to find out if a crime was committed that is a search, nothing else.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: helomech] #1916967 12/13/10 07:08 PM
I
Icouldbeyou Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I

All the things you mention are for officer protection, pat downs and such, way different. When you look in something to find out if a crime was committed that is a search, nothing else.

They are different, but they are examples of how an intrusion into someone's property or personal belongings can be deemed NOT a "search" by the courts. Simply trying to show that what a GW does when he looks into you cooler is NOT a "search", it is an "inspection". When an officer performs a "pat-down" it is not a "search", it is a "pat-down" etc....

Peace and Hair Grease
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Icouldbeyou] #1916983 12/13/10 07:14 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

They are different, but they are examples of how an intrusion into someone's property or personal belongings can be deemed NOT a "search" by the courts. Simply trying to show that what a GW does when he looks into you cooler is NOT a "search", it is an "inspection". When an officer performs a "pat-down" it is not a "search", it is a "pat-down" etc....

Not saying the courts have not leaned that way. My point is I can read, and understand things for myself. I know it is just a way for the government to wiggle around the constitution. Even though we both know exactly what they are doing when they open that cooler. To call it an inspection is just an insult to anyone that can actually think for themselves.

Do you really believe they are not SEARCHING for proof a crime was committed? If it is a inspection than no punishment should be allowed for what is found. That is the whole purpose of the 4th amendment. It is to stop law enforcement from digging through what they want looking for a crime.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: helomech] #1917041 12/13/10 07:30 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

That can be said about anything, everyone has a different point in what is reasonable and not.

I'm not sure with where I stand. But these are amendments to the constitution. They are a change from the original. So new laws are made, and the constitution is amended. I have a feeling if GWs were not allowed to search a cooler, no one would ever be caught, and there would be a lot of complaining. Are you concerned about this law, or the laws it could lead to? This particular law doesn't bother me at all. I'd be concerned if this led to a cop wanting to randomly search my house.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Chuck McDonald] #1917049 12/13/10 07:32 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
A cooler in the truck is all a GW needs, if he finds game in the cooler the whole truck is fair game.

Well he would either be: sorely dissapointed or pleasantly surpised when he opens up my cooler and all he finds is Miller Lite!

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: cable] #1917063 12/13/10 07:35 PM
T
Tuoms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cable
Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
A cooler in the truck is all a GW needs, if he finds game in the cooler the whole truck is fair game.

Well he would either be: sorely dissapointed or pleasantly surpised when he opens up my cooler and all he finds is Miller Lite!

Prob disappointed bc it's miller lite!

[Linked Image]
Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Tuoms] #1917064 12/13/10 07:36 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
LOL ^^^^^

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Justin T] #1917081 12/13/10 07:39 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

I'm not sure with where I stand. But these are amendments to the constitution. They are a change from the original. So new laws are made, and the constitution is amended. I have a feeling if GWs were not allowed to search a cooler, no one would ever be caught, and there would be a lot of complaining. Are you concerned about this law, or the laws it could lead to? This particular law doesn't bother me at all. I'd be concerned if this led to a cop wanting to randomly search my house.

What is to stop that? They could just say they are inspecting your house. The act itself does not bother me, the part that bothers me is the fact that the government seems to break all the laws it wants, with nothing to stop them.

This is just like gun laws. Do you think it is within the bounds of the constitution for a city like Chicago to not allow guns to its residents? It has been that way for a while, I want to know if you think that is a violation of the constitution?

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: helomech] #1917111 12/13/10 07:44 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
What about a vehicle inventory after an arrest??? It's not a search but lots of things have been found....

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Jasb] #1917139 12/13/10 07:51 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Jasb
What about a vehicle inventory after an arrest??? It's not a search but lots of things have been found....

Not sure where I stand on that. I would say a warrant should still be required, should not be hard to get after an arrest.
And if it is truly just and inventory, IMO anything found should be treated just as if there was no warrant, and should not be allowed in court.

Re: Bit of A Rant [Re: Tuoms] #1917199 12/13/10 08:07 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Guys no matter how much you argue on the THF no one is going to change their minds, the GW's will not change the way they work, and the Constitution will not be changed.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide