Forums46
Topics538,517
Posts9,738,094
Members87,095
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1797972 11/02/10 07:13 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Umm... Dan. Nice discussion but not under the category "Most Common hunting regulation mistakes".

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1798086 11/02/10 07:47 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

I included that comment for the discussion it would be sure to create. With more shooting accidents occuring every year near vehicles than near deer stands, I feel it's a discussion that has tremendous merit.

Keep in mind too that it is not illegal to have a shooting accident. But clearly, that doesn't somehow take anything away from the aftermath, or much less provide an excuse.

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in wanting to kill any animal.

sry dan, but ur gonna have to explain to me how carrying a rifle with a full magazine and the muzzle pointed down into the floorboard is going to kill me....

Follow the rules on the back of ur hunters ed card, and their will never be any problems... at least thats what i do.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: 10pointdoe] #1798096 11/02/10 07:50 PM
H
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
tHE HEAD HAS THE TAG OR PERMIT ON IT AND MUST REMAIN WITH THE DEER TO IT'S FINAL DESTINATION.

Support Your Local Junkyard Dawgs M/C
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #1798254 11/02/10 08:26 PM
U
UncleTed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

I included that comment for the discussion it would be sure to create. With more shooting accidents occuring every year near vehicles than near deer stands, I feel it's a discussion that has tremendous merit.

Keep in mind too that it is not illegal to have a shooting accident. But clearly, that doesn't somehow take anything away from the aftermath, or much less provide an excuse.

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in wanting to kill any animal.

sry dan, but ur gonna have to explain to me how carrying a rifle with a full magazine and the muzzle pointed down into the floorboard is going to kill me....

Follow the rules on the back of ur hunters ed card, and their will never be any problems... at least thats what i do.
when it goes off by accident , hits transmission, transmisson blows , you freak out , hit ditch and flip and kill yourself. why not just leave it unloaded?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Ray Ray] #1798273 11/02/10 08:31 PM
U
UncleTed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I have never seen so many worms in one can, aside from safety concerns there's no law that says you can't carry a load rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or a handgun. Remember back in the days when there were rifle racks in the back windows of trucks? Bet there was at least one of 'em loaded. What's the purpose of being a CHL holder and carrying an unloaded pistol on you for protection if you have to pull it and chamber a round. It all boils down to safe gun handling with a loaded weapon. Hey, law enforcement officers do this all the time how many do you hear about them having an accident when handling a weapon, not to say it doesn't happen. If your gonna carry a loaded weapon on you or about you, you must be aware and cautious and should know your weapon like you know the back of you hand. You can carry your exempt childs license on you, like it was said you can't use it. I've been checked several times on public lands and pulled both out to get to mine; all the GW asked was who's it was and sometimes looked at it, said OK and handed it back, with no issues or problems, sometimes maybe asking where she was at. Depending on the MLD level your on; you have to use the DOE permit for MLD not your license tag, you use the buck tag off your license. hammer
here you go dude, happens more than you think. I say each to his own though. MVs says he has several loaded 24/7 I hope he has them at least locked up in the house so his 4 yr old or anyone else ever gets hurt or worse.

Last edited by UncleTed; 11/02/10 08:32 PM.
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: BOB7] #1801081 11/03/10 05:11 PM
B
bouxriverkiller Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I need my lawyer!!!!

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: bouxriverkiller] #1801236 11/03/10 05:55 PM
A
Adraper Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
The most common violation I've seen other than problems with tagging the deer is hunting from public right of away. If parked in ROW unload rifle before you get to truck.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Adraper] #1801966 11/03/10 09:50 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
If you have not signed the back of your license, do it now. you can get a ticket for that.

As for loaded guns and accidents. For the most part it is not "loaded" guns that kill. It is why all guns are to be treated as loaded even when you know it is not. As an example, pulling an unloaded gun out of the back of a truck by the muzzle and getting shot is not an uncommon hunting/shooting accident.
In that regard, some might say a gun that is believed to be loaded can actually be safer than one believed to be unloaded.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: UncleTed] #1802521 11/04/10 01:03 AM
R
Ray Ray Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by UncleTed
I have never seen so many worms in one can, aside from safety concerns there's no law that says you can't carry a load rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or a handgun. Remember back in the days when there were rifle racks in the back windows of trucks? Bet there was at least one of 'em loaded. What's the purpose of being a CHL holder and carrying an unloaded pistol on you for protection if you have to pull it and chamber a round. It all boils down to safe gun handling with a loaded weapon. Hey, law enforcement officers do this all the time how many do you hear about them having an accident when handling a weapon, not to say it doesn't happen. If your gonna carry a loaded weapon on you or about you, you must be aware and cautious and should know your weapon like you know the back of you hand. You can carry your exempt childs license on you, like it was said you can't use it. I've been checked several times on public lands and pulled both out to get to mine; all the GW asked was who's it was and sometimes looked at it, said OK and handed it back, with no issues or problems, sometimes maybe asking where she was at. Depending on the MLD level your on; you have to use the DOE permit for MLD not your license tag, you use the buck tag off your license. hammer
here you go dude, happens more than you think. I say each to his own though. MVs says he has several loaded 24/7 I hope he has them at least locked up in the house so his 4 yr old or anyone else ever gets hurt or worse.

Hey dude, read my post I didn't say cops don't accidentally shoot themselves and acknowledge that it does happen, my 3rd year on the force the chief accidentally shot and killed a rookie in his office on his first day holstering his weapon. And thats an old video and bottom line if you watch the video closely safe gun handling was not being used, the DA had his finger on the trigger when holstering it. A loaded gun never goes off without an outside force acting on it. I just can't understand getting a CHL and carrying a weapon on you for protection without having a round chambered. If your that afraid it will go off, then IMO you don't need to carry a gun.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 11/04/10 01:04 AM.

If we always do, what we have always done, the we always get, what we have always gotten! Learn to adapt!
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: erathar] #1802549 11/04/10 01:12 AM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Quote:
If my kid was not responsible enough to keep up with a piece of paper, I certainly would not feel comfortable with them handling a firearm.

I lose stuff all the time, papers at work, and yes even my hunting/fishing license... Yet I own a vehichle, drive myself to and from work, handle my own gun, and even make my own bullets without problems... something must be wrong hammer

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: UncleTed] #1846970 11/19/10 03:57 AM
~
~JaKe~ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
~
Originally Posted by UncleTed

that cop is pretty tuff lol haha he wanted to finish his speech! haha i'd been gettin out of there! bolt

2011-2016
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: ~JaKe~] #1847108 11/19/10 04:51 AM
G
Gage T. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I have a question what would happen if a person was stopped an had to show hunting license an hunters Ed but didn't have hunters Ed an was not within arms reach of someone who did?

If your dog is barking at the back door and your wife is yelling at the front door, who do you let in first? The dog of course. He'll shut up once you let him in.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Gage T.] #1847165 11/19/10 05:16 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Gage T.
I have a question what would happen if a person was stopped an had to show hunting license an hunters Ed but didn't have hunters Ed an was not within arms reach of someone who did?

Depends on their age. If they're 17 or older, they get a ticket for not having taken Hunter Education and it doesn't matter if they are with someone or not. However, anyone 17 or older can purchase a deferral and use it for a single season, but still must hunt within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult. If they're 16 or younger, they also get a citation for not having taken Hunter Ed, but only if they are not within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult.

In other words, kids can hunt without Hunter Ed until they turn 17, but must hunt with an adult. Those 17 or older can only hunt for a single season without taking the class, so long as they purchase the one-time deferral.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Gage T.] #1847167 11/19/10 05:18 AM
S
sig6060 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Gage T. If you are stopped and are supposed to have a hunters education certification and you do not have a hunter's education you will be given a fine of $85 with a three month window to take the hunters education and have the fine revoked.

However, something else about your post caught my attention in regards to within arms reach of someone who does have a hunters education certification. If you are under the age of 18 and do not have a hunters certifaction you must be inwith "voice command" of a hunter who has hunter's certifcation or is exempt. If you are over the age of 18 you must have a valid hunter's education, or purchase the one year / one time defereral and be within "voice command" of a hunter over 18 years of age and has a hunters certification or is exempt from hunters certification. Hope this helps. Some folks seem to think that if they hunt with someone who has a hunters education certification then they will be okay, however, this is only true of persons under 18 years of age or of persons who have purchased the one year / one time defereral. Hope this helps.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1847169 11/19/10 05:19 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Depends on their age. If they're 17 or older, they get a ticket for not having taken Hunter Education and it doesn't matter if they are with someone or not. However, anyone 17 or older can purchase a deferral and use it for a single season, but still must hunt within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult. If they're 16 or younger, they also get a citation for not having taken Hunter Ed, but only if they are not within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult.

from what i have read and the way i understand it, they would get a ticket. Then, if they take the course within (insert appropriate amount of time here), the charge is dropped and they go on with their lives... at least thats the way i read it.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: sig6060] #1847173 11/19/10 05:19 AM
S
sig6060 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Dang Dan you type faster than I do. lol

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #1847174 11/19/10 05:20 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
heres a thought... if u are huntig without hunters ed, and u kill a deer. Does the GW take the deer when he writes the citation?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #1847180 11/19/10 05:21 AM
S
sig6060 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I had a buddy get a ticket for no hunters ed or deferal while dove hunting and he let him keep the birds. Not really the same thing but the same in theory.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: sig6060] #1847183 11/19/10 05:23 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: sig6060
If you are over the age of 18 you must have a valid hunter's education, or purchase the one year / one time defereral and be within "voice command" of a hunter over 18 years of age and has a hunters certification or is exempt from hunters certification. Hope this helps.

The age limit for not having Hunter Ed (and hunting with someone) is 16, not 18. A 17-year-old MUST have either taken the course, or purchased the one-time deferral. For this reason, 17-year-olds who have already hunted with a deferral during the previous season, are often the most desperate to find a class right before the opening of gun season.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

•under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
•age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied*.
•age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral” and you must be accompanied*.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1847190 11/19/10 05:26 AM
S
sig6060 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Dan, thanks for the correction. I would hate for someone to get in trouble for following incorrect advise.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: sig6060] #1847192 11/19/10 05:27 AM
G
Gage T. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I'm 18 but been having a hard time finding a place to go an get it I don't wna get in trouble for not having one plus I don't like hunting with other pll does any one know if there's any places around the lufkin groveton area I realy wna take the test an b over with it an not b worried bout what would happen I have been studying a gun safty book since I started hunting bout 4 years ago I'm aware of gun safty it's tryin to find a place to take the test

If your dog is barking at the back door and your wife is yelling at the front door, who do you let in first? The dog of course. He'll shut up once you let him in.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: sig6060] #1847195 11/19/10 05:29 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: sig6060
Dan, thanks for the correction. I would hate for someone to get in trouble for following incorrect advise.

It happens to the best of us. Like the time I was issued a $300 fine because the guy who prepared the dove field, thought he had done it in a legal fashion.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Gage T.] #1847200 11/19/10 05:30 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I'm 18 but been having a hard time finding a place to go an get it I don't wna get in trouble for not having one plus I don't like hunting with other pll does any one know if there's any places around the lufkin groveton area I realy wna take the test an b over with it an not b worried bout what would happen I have been studying a gun safty book since I started hunting bout 4 years ago I'm aware of gun safty it's tryin to find a place to take the test

there is a list online... google is a pretty good friend.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Gage T.] #1847203 11/19/10 05:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/city.phtml

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #1847205 11/19/10 05:32 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
here u go bud

Helpin a brotha out

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide