Texas Hunting Forum

Most common hunting regulation mistakes

Posted By: Texas Dan

Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 12:11 PM

With the season opener just a week away, there probably isn't a better time to throw around the fire, the mistakes that hunters most often make in regards to hunting regulations.

Here are a few that I've learned from speaking with TPWD officers and other sources.

Please add your own thoughts and comments as well.

1. Not properly tagging deer.

One officer even told me about a hunter who had used a turkey tag on his deer. Remember too that information must be completed on both the license and tag. AND REMEMBER TO CUT OUT COMPLETELY, THE DAY AND MONTH ON THE TAG.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/licenses/public/dont_get_tagged/index.phtml

2. Using both a tag and permit to tag a deer.

You don't need to use a tag from your license if you have a managed lands permit. Depending on the number of permits you have available, this can significantly increase your bag limit.

3. Hunting alone with a deferral.

A deferral does not permit a person, even somone 17 or older, to hunt alone. The general rule of thumb is that ANYONE who is required to have hunter education, cannot hunt alone until they have taken the course.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/required.phtml#deferral

4. Parents who carry the license of their child or spouse.

Simply put, you don't want to be caught carrying two licenses while hunting alone.

5. Loaded gun in a vehicle.

The safety issues alone should make this one a non-brainer. Besides, road and night hunting is always a serious problem facing TPWD officers, and a serious threat to honest sportsmen.

6. Sharing meat with another hunter without a completed Wildlife Resource Document.

Anyone who has ever watched TPWD officers check a vehicle work knows full well, they ALWAYS check the ice chests. If you're transporting deer meat, you need to have either a properly tagged animal, or a completed Wildlife Resource Document. You can find one on page 93 of the TPWD Outdoor Annual. Or, just use the link that appears on the page below to print several copies and keep them handy.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/transfer/

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 01:43 PM

I would like to see the reg that states I can not carry my wife's license.

Posted By: Stinger13

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 02:08 PM

Simply put...you may not possess two valid licenses. That could be considered prima facea evidence that you intend to hunt from another's tag.

Posted By: 45-70

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

The safety issues alone should make this one a non-brainer. Besides, road and night hunting is always a serious problem facing TPWD officers, and a serious threat to honest sportsmen.

I can't agree more with the safety issue here, we only load firearms once in the blind and unload them before leaving the blind. However, I'm not aware of a regulation in Texas that prohibits a law abiding citizen from carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER

In the TPWD Outdoor annual.

Page 19, In bold, Personal identification.
While hunting, fishing or trapping, persons 17 years of age or older must carry on their person a driver’s license or personal identification certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Page 21. Texas resident.
It is unlawful to:
hunt or fish without a valid license, or a permit and stamp endorsement on your person and available for inspection by a game warden, unless exempt by age, program or a reciprocal agreement with another state.
• use another person’s license or tag to hunt or fish.
• let someone else hunt or fish with your license or tags.

Plus what stinger13 said.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 45-70

I can't agree more with the safety issue here, we only load firearms once in the blind and unload them before leaving the blind. However, I'm not aware of a regulation in Texas that prohibits a law abiding citizen from carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle.

This is one that I expected and hoped for some good discussion.

While you can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle, to carry a loaded hunting rifle or shotgun opens up another can of worms.

I'll let others take the issue from here.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 03:43 PM

What is the point of not having your gun loaded if you are hunting? Keep your finger out of the trigger gaurd and you have nothing to worry about.

Posted By: mike9582

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 03:57 PM

I carry my sons license, I dont hunt off of it but, He would probally lose it or forget it if I didnt carry it. I never thought of the legality of this. I believe it should be ok as long as he is with me.

Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 04:12 PM

If you clean and quarter the deer, put it in the ice chest, do you have to carry the head with you ?

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 04:15 PM

Mike9582, I make my daughter carry hers at all times, but when the hunt is over, she gives it to me for safe keeping until we go out again. I keep close tabs on it, and remind her that its her responsibility to maintain her license.

She forgot it a week or so ago when we went dove hunting, I had it, but didn't tell her. so I asked her when we got there if she had ammo, and license. she started to panic, I told her no license, no hunting and let that stew for a while. Then I let her off the hook

Posted By: Longleaf

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler

While hunting, fishing or trapping, persons 17 years of age or older must carry on their person a driver’s license or personal identification certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Page 21. Texas resident.
It is unlawful to:
hunt or fish without a valid license, or a permit and stamp endorsement on your person and available for inspection by a game warden, unless exempt by age, program or a reciprocal agreement with another state.

The regulation says "use another person's license" or "let someone else hunt or fish with your license or tags". I carry my younger sons license with me at all times. I have been checked several times when he was not with me and simply told the GW that it was my sons license. I have never been ticketed, warned or scolded for it.

I have my own license as well and I am not "using his license or tag" - just carrying it. That wording is not clear! I would really like to know what the official take on that regulation is!!??

Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Longleaf
Originally Posted By: Rustler

Page 21. Texas resident.
It is unlawful to:

The regulation says "use another person's license" or "let someone else hunt or fish with your license or tags". I carry my younger sons license with me at all times. I have been checked several times when he was not with me and simply told the GW that it was my sons license. I have never been ticketed, warned or scolded for it.

I have my own license as well and I am not "using his license or tag" - just carrying it. That wording is not clear! I would really like to know what the official take on that regulation is!!??
I find the wording quite vague as well.

That being said, I don't understand what the problem - in most cases these are parents carrying their kids license with them. Most youngsters I know aren't responsible enough to keep track of a license, let alone a wallet to put it in.

Posted By: BOB7

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 45-70

This is one that I expected and hoped for some good discussion.

While you can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle, to carry a loaded hunting rifle or shotgun opens up another can of worms.

I'll let others take the issue from here.

i have a shotgun in the pickup everyday.
it has shells in the tube not in the chamber.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Longleaf

This is one of those cases where an officer can use his/her own judgement. IMO, it's best to avoid any potential conflict and have your child carry their own license.

Posted By: erathar

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:09 PM

If my kid was not responsible enough to keep up with a piece of paper, I certainly would not feel comfortable with them handling a firearm.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:15 PM

i keep my kids hunting license on me and have never had a problem with it. i also dont let them keep a gun on them at all times either, so it works out great!!!lol

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:21 PM

My guns are almost always loaded, but rarely chambered with the exception of my 30-30. Never know when a coyote or hog might show it's head and I like to pop every one of either that I see.

I don't know that my 30-30 has ever been unloaded. I know it was still loaded when I put it back in my gun safe about 20 minutes ago.

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:22 PM

Well since I am not using my wife's license but simply toting it , I plan to continue toting it for her besides she is a blonde and falls in the same category as a teenager. Yes I have been checked several times and had both licenses with me but nothing came of it.

Posted By: ~JaKe~

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:26 PM

6. Sharing meat with another hunter without a completed Wildlife Resource Document.

Anyone who has ever watched TPWD officers check a vehicle work knows full well, they ALWAYS check the ice chests. If you're transporting deer meat, you need to have either a properly tagged animal, or a completed Wildlife Resource Document. You can find one on page 93 of the TPWD Outdoor Annual. Or, just use the link that appears on the page below to print several copies and keep them handy.

Question?=i usually just take my deer to the processor just field dressed but this year we have bought hunting land, if i quarter a deer up and put it in a ice chest, where do i put the tag at when transferring to my home? do i just tape/tie the tag on the ice chest? or directly to a "body part" of the deer?

Posted By: ramit315

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 214tat2guy
i keep my kids hunting license on me and have never had a problem with it. i also dont let them keep a gun on them at all times either, so it works out great!!!lol

X2

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:29 PM

I don't see anything vague or hard to understand.

It is unlawful to: hunt or fish without a valid license or a permit and stamp endorsement on your person and available for inspection by a game warden, unless exempt by age, program or a reciprocal agreement with another state.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ~JaKe~

Question?=i usually just take my deer to the processor just field dressed but this year we have bought hunting land, if i quarter a deer up and put it in a ice chest, where do i put the tag at when transferring to my home? do i just tape/tie the tag on the ice chest? or directly to a "body part" of the deer?

Starting on the bottom of page 59 with "Proof of sex" through page 61 covers all that.

Download the 2010 - 11 Summary of hunting and fishing regulations in pdf form by clicking here.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 09:58 PM

thanks Rustler.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 10:25 PM

Dan can you please post the regulation that states that a person cannot transport a loaded firearm (hunting rifle, shotgun) in their vehicle. I have heard this several times but have never seen it in writing.

I know its not in the penal code so it must be somewhere in the game laws.

Posted By: BOB7

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 10:30 PM

Quote:
Texas does not have a law entitled "brandishing". And even if we did, carrying your rifle from your pickup to your house would not violate such a dumb-bunny law.

Texas does not have any laws concerning the carry of shotguns and/or rifles. Yes, he can carry his rifle over his shoulder as he walks down the farm-to-market road. Deal with it.

Texas does not have any laws concerning ammunition. It is not against the law to have loose ammo in your vehicle. Or your pockets. Or in the change plate at church.

Texas does not register guns. Period. Suck it up.

Texas does not have the legal term "assault rifle". It's a rifle. It's legal. Shut your pie hole and evolve into a spine.

Deputy Friendly will explain this to you once. Maybe twice. The third time he has to listen to your snivelling, whining, lying claptrap, he is going to turn into Deputy Irritated. This should be taken as a warning.

Thank you for your attention.

LawDog
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/migrating-liberals.html

Posted By: Stinger13

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 10/31/10 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: erathar
If my kid was not responsible enough to keep up with a piece of paper, I certainly would not feel comfortable with them handling a firearm.

If they can be taught hunter/gun safety, they can be taught responsibility.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Dan can you please post the regulation that states that a person cannot transport a loaded firearm (hunting rifle, shotgun) in their vehicle. I have heard this several times but have never seen it in writing.

I know its not in the penal code so it must be somewhere in the game laws.

As far as I know, there are no laws that make it illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle.

However, two things come to mind that would cause most hunters to consider it a mistake to do so. First, it simply isn't safe practice. I have my CHL and still keep an open chamber in the .380 that I carry in my pickup. Secondly, the reasons for carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle that revolve around breaking the law, is greater than the number of good reasons for doing it.

At the end of every shooting accident that involves a rifle or shotgun and a motor vehicle, the question that usually gets asked is "Why was the gun loaded." And in most cases, there are no good reasons that can justify the damage done.

The issue also brings to mind an accident that occurred a few years back here in the Houston area where a man was accidently killed while removing his shotgun from his vehicle for some shooting practice. According to news reports, the gun had been left loaded for several months going back to the previous hunting season. I have to wonder if this man also made it his usual practice to leave his shotgun loaded in his truck.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 12:47 AM

If you have a 5 year old that could keep up with it and bring it with them for every hunt I take my hat off to you. My son is 11 and there is no way he would remember to bring it with him every time or keep up with it either. I have carried it with me since he started hunting at age 4 and I have never had a problem. That's kinda the whole point of kids having to hunt with a supervising adult. They are not responsible enough to do it alone.

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 01:34 AM

Thank you Dan.

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 02:13 AM

. Disagree on that one. Almost like saying if ya forget your bullets or your release or your gloves or your flashlight, your not responsible to have a gun.

Posted By: swmays

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 02:31 AM

I was checked by the GW and produced from my pocket my license and my sons in the same little holder. He had no issue with it. My son is 8 and we we dove hunting. I know this thread is deer hunting related but still the GW just said "thank you".

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: swmays
I was checked by the GW and produced from my pocket my license and my sons in the same little holder. He had no issue with it. My son is 8 and we we dove hunting. I know this thread is deer hunting related but still the GW just said "thank you".

Again, a TPWD officer "advised" me to advise students in my Hunter Education classes that it's "best" to have your kids carry their own license. That way, you avoid the potential in dealing with an officer who may be more strict and "by the book".

I suspect the fact that your son was with you also made a difference. The officer might have reacted differently had that not been the case. And let's be honest, if you make it a point to carry the license for your child, you probably still have it in your wallet at those time when you're hunting without them. That's why I keep my daughter's license in my truck so that it's there when she goes with me. When she doesn't, it stays in the truck, rather than in my wallet.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 04:25 AM

Fair enough Dan. Something to consider when I am deer hunting without out my son. Sounds like I should leave his license in the truck.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
Fair enough Dan. Something to consider when I am deer hunting without out my son. Sounds like I should leave his license in the truck.

It would be better than getting checked by an officer, and after having gotten a license out of your wallet, having to say something like "No, that's not it. That's my son's license."

Besides, using tags from another person's license is one of the oldest hunting violations that's still around.

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 06:30 PM

I think one of the best ways to keep a younger kids license with them is with a license holder that gets safety pinned to the front of his shirt. Put his coat over it so it does not get ripped off by brush or him or her messing with it.
Then when you get out of the field take it off and secure it. Of course always use it as a teaching moment. If you loose this you will not be able to hunt. My Dad took my gun away from me in the field and made me walk back to the truck because I left my wallet at home. I was probably 15 at the time. I have forgotten alot of things but I always double check my wallet and license 40 years later.

Posted By: UncleTed

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 06:42 PM

Baiting animals.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleTed
Baiting animals.

rofl

Posted By: mws

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 07:01 PM

I keep my pistol, shotgun and my rifle loaded with one in the chamber 24-7 in my truck. I have had a loaded gun my truck for 17 years. I also keep a couple loaded in the house 24-7. A gun is always loaded come on.

When I first started carrying a pistol I had a cop ask me if I was stupid. I said what his response was you carry an unloaded pistol that want do you any good. So at that moment I grabbed my pistol and chambered one. He said now it will work.

In the time of need do you have the time to chamber one? I hope you do.

Posted By: mws

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 07:06 PM

I think my four year old will use all of her tags this year. up

Posted By: robbf213

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 07:09 PM

Take the time to read the back of your hunting license. It tells you everything you need to know to fill it out properly. Tag the deer before you move it, cut the dates out completely and fill out the harvest log. It has been a law for 6 years now, don't expect a warning from the GW.

Loaded guns in the vehicle aren't against the law, it's your responsibility to be safe. Ask yourself, does it really need to be loaded?

Carrying your wife or kids license on you isn't a issue, just don't use their tags.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 09:42 PM

Here's one that gets several otherwise honest people every year - Not having a working pen with you to complete the tag. Every year someone will decide to load the deer up and tag it back at camp because they didn't have a pen on them when they killed it.

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: robbf213
Take the time to read the back of your hunting license. It tells you everything you need to know to fill it out properly. Tag the deer before you move it, cut the dates out completely and fill out the harvest log. It has been a law for 6 years now, don't expect a warning from the GW.

Loaded guns in the vehicle aren't against the law, it's your responsibility to be safe. Ask yourself, does it really need to be loaded?

Carrying your wife or kids license on you isn't a issue, just don't use their tags.

x2. That's what I was going to say, also. Although it's been six years (really? dang....) I bet improperly completed (or not completed) game logs are still the #1 violation. I don't see a problem carrying your kids license. Game wardens are not idiots, they are not "out to get you," they are selected because they cave a healthy store of good common sense. If you're with your kid and pull his license from your vest pocket to show the warden I cannot fathom this EVER being a problem so long as you are in immediate proximity to the youngster, as the law requires.

Posted By: tk325

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Here's one that gets several otherwise honest people every year - Not having a working pen with you to complete the tag. Every year someone will decide to load the deer up and tag it back at camp because they didn't have a pen on them when they killed it.

Happened to me a few years ago. I now make it a habbit to keep a pack of pens in the truck. A pretty cheap fix considering what would happen if the GW stopped you.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/01/10 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: tk325
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Happened to me a few years ago. I now make it a habbit to keep a pack of pens in the truck. A pretty cheap fix considering what would happen if the GW stopped you.

That's for sure. And don't forget several zip ties for attaching tags to the antlers.

Of course I have to use long zip ties to go around those massive main beams.

banana

Posted By: Ray Ray

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 12:46 AM

I have never seen so many worms in one can, aside from safety concerns there's no law that says you can't carry a load rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or a handgun. Remember back in the days when there were rifle racks in the back windows of trucks? Bet there was at least one of 'em loaded. What's the purpose of being a CHL holder and carrying an unloaded pistol on you for protection if you have to pull it and chamber a round. It all boils down to safe gun handling with a loaded weapon. Hey, law enforcement officers do this all the time how many do you hear about them having an accident when handling a weapon, not to say it doesn't happen. If your gonna carry a loaded weapon on you or about you, you must be aware and cautious and should know your weapon like you know the back of you hand. You can carry your exempt childs license on you, like it was said you can't use it. I've been checked several times on public lands and pulled both out to get to mine; all the GW asked was who's it was and sometimes looked at it, said OK and handed it back, with no issues or problems, sometimes maybe asking where she was at. Depending on the MLD level your on; you have to use the DOE permit for MLD not your license tag, you use the buck tag off your license. hammer

Posted By: redseal

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 12:59 AM

you can't try to say its yours if you carry someone elses you have to show them yours and you can't tag your deer with someone elses so if your carrying your sons or daughters and the game warden says can i see your lisence and you show him yours then no biggy now if you didn't have one and tried to say your sons was yours then trouble but my dad used to carry it all the time for me when we were dove hunting and got checked my dad would hand him mine too never had any problems

don't know if that was already posted got tired of reading them all and thought i'd drop my 2 cents

Posted By: htharp

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: robbf213

The first year this went into effect I filled out only the tag and not the log. Got checked in town when I stopped to get lunch. Lost the deer (confiscated) and got a $300 fine. I won't make that mistake again. One more note - the GW was a complete jerk. Showing off in front of his junior trainee and acting really tough, even told the trainee to shut up when he mentioned that it looked like I had tried to do the right thing. I tried to be as polite and contrite as possible, but it was hard.

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 06:13 PM

Falling for the scam of hog hunting without an archery stamp.
TP&W says its ok
Game Warden says its not ok

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: mws
I keep my pistol, shotgun and my rifle loaded with one in the chamber 24-7 in my truck. I have had a loaded gun my truck for 17 years. I also keep a couple loaded in the house 24-7. A gun is always loaded come on.

When I first started carrying a pistol I had a cop ask me if I was stupid. I said what his response was you carry an unloaded pistol that want do you any good. So at that moment I grabbed my pistol and chambered one. He said now it will work.

In the time of need do you have the time to chamber one? I hope you do.

it really does take a while to chamber a round in a hand gun.

When i went on a fishing trip, i took my handgun out of the truck and put it in the drawer of the hotel room. One of the guys asked if it was loaded i respond "of course"...

Then they all ask "why do u carry a loaded gun".... they were referring to it being in the chamber. Its not hard to see how long it takes to pull back a slide. Not to mention, u could not pull it back all the way or something and cause a malfunction, guess what, ur dead.

It also takes two hands to do that instead of just using one.

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

I included that comment for the discussion it would be sure to create. With more shooting accidents occuring every year near vehicles than near deer stands, I feel it's a discussion that has tremendous merit.

Keep in mind too that it is not illegal to have a shooting accident. But clearly, that doesn't somehow take anything away from the aftermath, or much less provide an excuse.

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle, and consider it a mistake to do so. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in desiring to kill any animal. As with anything, it's a matter of weighing the potential consequences of one's actions.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 07:13 PM

Umm... Dan. Nice discussion but not under the category "Most Common hunting regulation mistakes".

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 07:47 PM

I included that comment for the discussion it would be sure to create. With more shooting accidents occuring every year near vehicles than near deer stands, I feel it's a discussion that has tremendous merit.

Keep in mind too that it is not illegal to have a shooting accident. But clearly, that doesn't somehow take anything away from the aftermath, or much less provide an excuse.

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in wanting to kill any animal.

sry dan, but ur gonna have to explain to me how carrying a rifle with a full magazine and the muzzle pointed down into the floorboard is going to kill me....

Follow the rules on the back of ur hunters ed card, and their will never be any problems... at least thats what i do.

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 07:50 PM

tHE HEAD HAS THE TAG OR PERMIT ON IT AND MUST REMAIN WITH THE DEER TO IT'S FINAL DESTINATION.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 08:26 PM

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in wanting to kill any animal.

sry dan, but ur gonna have to explain to me how carrying a rifle with a full magazine and the muzzle pointed down into the floorboard is going to kill me....

Follow the rules on the back of ur hunters ed card, and their will never be any problems... at least thats what i do.
when it goes off by accident , hits transmission, transmisson blows , you freak out , hit ditch and flip and kill yourself. why not just leave it unloaded?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/02/10 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I have never seen so many worms in one can, aside from safety concerns there's no law that says you can't carry a load rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or a handgun. Remember back in the days when there were rifle racks in the back windows of trucks? Bet there was at least one of 'em loaded. What's the purpose of being a CHL holder and carrying an unloaded pistol on you for protection if you have to pull it and chamber a round. It all boils down to safe gun handling with a loaded weapon. Hey, law enforcement officers do this all the time how many do you hear about them having an accident when handling a weapon, not to say it doesn't happen. If your gonna carry a loaded weapon on you or about you, you must be aware and cautious and should know your weapon like you know the back of you hand. You can carry your exempt childs license on you, like it was said you can't use it. I've been checked several times on public lands and pulled both out to get to mine; all the GW asked was who's it was and sometimes looked at it, said OK and handed it back, with no issues or problems, sometimes maybe asking where she was at. Depending on the MLD level your on; you have to use the DOE permit for MLD not your license tag, you use the buck tag off your license. hammer
here you go dude, happens more than you think. I say each to his own though. MVs says he has several loaded 24/7 I hope he has them at least locked up in the house so his 4 yr old or anyone else ever gets hurt or worse.
Posted By: bouxriverkiller

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/03/10 05:11 PM

I need my lawyer!!!!

Posted By: Adraper

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/03/10 05:55 PM

The most common violation I've seen other than problems with tagging the deer is hunting from public right of away. If parked in ROW unload rifle before you get to truck.

Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/03/10 09:50 PM

If you have not signed the back of your license, do it now. you can get a ticket for that.

As for loaded guns and accidents. For the most part it is not "loaded" guns that kill. It is why all guns are to be treated as loaded even when you know it is not. As an example, pulling an unloaded gun out of the back of a truck by the muzzle and getting shot is not an uncommon hunting/shooting accident.
In that regard, some might say a gun that is believed to be loaded can actually be safer than one believed to be unloaded.

Posted By: Ray Ray

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/04/10 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by UncleTed
here you go dude, happens more than you think. I say each to his own though. MVs says he has several loaded 24/7 I hope he has them at least locked up in the house so his 4 yr old or anyone else ever gets hurt or worse.

Hey dude, read my post I didn't say cops don't accidentally shoot themselves and acknowledge that it does happen, my 3rd year on the force the chief accidentally shot and killed a rookie in his office on his first day holstering his weapon. And thats an old video and bottom line if you watch the video closely safe gun handling was not being used, the DA had his finger on the trigger when holstering it. A loaded gun never goes off without an outside force acting on it. I just can't understand getting a CHL and carrying a weapon on you for protection without having a round chambered. If your that afraid it will go off, then IMO you don't need to carry a gun.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/04/10 01:12 AM

Quote:

I lose stuff all the time, papers at work, and yes even my hunting/fishing license... Yet I own a vehichle, drive myself to and from work, handle my own gun, and even make my own bullets without problems... something must be wrong hammer

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by UncleTed

that cop is pretty tuff lol haha he wanted to finish his speech! haha i'd been gettin out of there! bolt
Posted By: Gage T.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 04:51 AM

I have a question what would happen if a person was stopped an had to show hunting license an hunters Ed but didn't have hunters Ed an was not within arms reach of someone who did?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Gage T.
I have a question what would happen if a person was stopped an had to show hunting license an hunters Ed but didn't have hunters Ed an was not within arms reach of someone who did?

Depends on their age. If they're 17 or older, they get a ticket for not having taken Hunter Education and it doesn't matter if they are with someone or not. However, anyone 17 or older can purchase a deferral and use it for a single season, but still must hunt within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult. If they're 16 or younger, they also get a citation for not having taken Hunter Ed, but only if they are not within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult.

In other words, kids can hunt without Hunter Ed until they turn 17, but must hunt with an adult. Those 17 or older can only hunt for a single season without taking the class, so long as they purchase the one-time deferral.

Posted By: sig6060

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:18 AM

Gage T. If you are stopped and are supposed to have a hunters education certification and you do not have a hunter's education you will be given a fine of $85 with a three month window to take the hunters education and have the fine revoked.

However, something else about your post caught my attention in regards to within arms reach of someone who does have a hunters education certification. If you are under the age of 18 and do not have a hunters certifaction you must be inwith "voice command" of a hunter who has hunter's certifcation or is exempt. If you are over the age of 18 you must have a valid hunter's education, or purchase the one year / one time defereral and be within "voice command" of a hunter over 18 years of age and has a hunters certification or is exempt from hunters certification. Hope this helps. Some folks seem to think that if they hunt with someone who has a hunters education certification then they will be okay, however, this is only true of persons under 18 years of age or of persons who have purchased the one year / one time defereral. Hope this helps.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:19 AM

Depends on their age. If they're 17 or older, they get a ticket for not having taken Hunter Education and it doesn't matter if they are with someone or not. However, anyone 17 or older can purchase a deferral and use it for a single season, but still must hunt within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult. If they're 16 or younger, they also get a citation for not having taken Hunter Ed, but only if they are not within speaking distance of a properly licensed adult.

from what i have read and the way i understand it, they would get a ticket. Then, if they take the course within (insert appropriate amount of time here), the charge is dropped and they go on with their lives... at least thats the way i read it.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:19 AM

Dang Dan you type faster than I do. lol

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:20 AM

heres a thought... if u are huntig without hunters ed, and u kill a deer. Does the GW take the deer when he writes the citation?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:21 AM

I had a buddy get a ticket for no hunters ed or deferal while dove hunting and he let him keep the birds. Not really the same thing but the same in theory.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: sig6060
If you are over the age of 18 you must have a valid hunter's education, or purchase the one year / one time defereral and be within "voice command" of a hunter over 18 years of age and has a hunters certification or is exempt from hunters certification. Hope this helps.

The age limit for not having Hunter Ed (and hunting with someone) is 16, not 18. A 17-year-old MUST have either taken the course, or purchased the one-time deferral. For this reason, 17-year-olds who have already hunted with a deferral during the previous season, are often the most desperate to find a class right before the opening of gun season.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

•under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
•age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied*.
•age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral” and you must be accompanied*.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:26 AM

Dan, thanks for the correction. I would hate for someone to get in trouble for following incorrect advise.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:27 AM

I'm 18 but been having a hard time finding a place to go an get it I don't wna get in trouble for not having one plus I don't like hunting with other pll does any one know if there's any places around the lufkin groveton area I realy wna take the test an b over with it an not b worried bout what would happen I have been studying a gun safty book since I started hunting bout 4 years ago I'm aware of gun safty it's tryin to find a place to take the test

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: sig6060
Dan, thanks for the correction. I would hate for someone to get in trouble for following incorrect advise.

It happens to the best of us. Like the time I was issued a $300 fine because the guy who prepared the dove field, thought he had done it in a legal fashion.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:30 AM

I'm 18 but been having a hard time finding a place to go an get it I don't wna get in trouble for not having one plus I don't like hunting with other pll does any one know if there's any places around the lufkin groveton area I realy wna take the test an b over with it an not b worried bout what would happen I have been studying a gun safty book since I started hunting bout 4 years ago I'm aware of gun safty it's tryin to find a place to take the test

there is a list online... google is a pretty good friend.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:31 AM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/city.phtml

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:32 AM

here u go bud

Helpin a brotha out

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:37 AM

Thank y'all

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 05:45 AM

The closest place I saw was Tyler bout 2 hours away an I don't have a ride but I do know this it won't stop me from going get it either I'll jst have to find a way

Posted By: Dacotua

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes - 11/19/10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: GYPSYHAWKEYE
tHE HEAD HAS THE TAG OR PERMIT ON IT AND MUST REMAIN WITH THE DEER TO IT'S FINAL DESTINATION.

Ummm.. Wrong.

A couple of years back, I was headed to the processor to deposit a buck. I had the buck quartered in the cooler and the head in the bed of the truck with the cooler. The antler had the tag zip tied to it.

I stopped for gas and walla, a game warden pulled up. While I was getting fuel, he comes over to visit. He said, I bet you that I can show you something you have done wrong with your deer. I look in the back of the bed, I can see the tag, its filled out and on the antler. I know my log is filled out, so I say, Sure, Go for it.

He points out that the tag is not properly placed. I was like HUH?!. He said according to the regulation, the tag must be with the carcass. According to the regulations the carcass is the eatable portion of the meat, which is in your cooler. So technically, the tag must be in the cooler.

He didn't write me a ticket, but I did look it up in the outdoor annual, and guess what. It is written EXACTLY like he told me. If I quarter a deer now, I tape the tag to the underside of the cooler lid. If I just field dress the deer, I still leave it on the head.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum