Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,745
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: erathar] #1792033 10/31/10 10:32 PM
S
Stinger13 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: erathar
If my kid was not responsible enough to keep up with a piece of paper, I certainly would not feel comfortable with them handling a firearm.

If they can be taught hunter/gun safety, they can be taught responsibility.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Sirrah243] #1792271 11/01/10 12:25 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Dan can you please post the regulation that states that a person cannot transport a loaded firearm (hunting rifle, shotgun) in their vehicle. I have heard this several times but have never seen it in writing.

I know its not in the penal code so it must be somewhere in the game laws.

As far as I know, there are no laws that make it illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle.

However, two things come to mind that would cause most hunters to consider it a mistake to do so. First, it simply isn't safe practice. I have my CHL and still keep an open chamber in the .380 that I carry in my pickup. Secondly, the reasons for carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle that revolve around breaking the law, is greater than the number of good reasons for doing it.

At the end of every shooting accident that involves a rifle or shotgun and a motor vehicle, the question that usually gets asked is "Why was the gun loaded." And in most cases, there are no good reasons that can justify the damage done.

The issue also brings to mind an accident that occurred a few years back here in the Houston area where a man was accidently killed while removing his shotgun from his vehicle for some shooting practice. According to news reports, the gun had been left loaded for several months going back to the previous hunting season. I have to wonder if this man also made it his usual practice to leave his shotgun loaded in his truck.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: erathar] #1792318 11/01/10 12:47 AM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If my kid was not responsible enough to keep up with a piece of paper, I certainly would not feel comfortable with them handling a firearm.

If you have a 5 year old that could keep up with it and bring it with them for every hunt I take my hat off to you. My son is 11 and there is no way he would remember to bring it with him every time or keep up with it either. I have carried it with me since he started hunting at age 4 and I have never had a problem. That's kinda the whole point of kids having to hunt with a supervising adult. They are not responsible enough to do it alone.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: BowSlayer] #1792456 11/01/10 01:34 AM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Thank you Dan.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: erathar] #1792611 11/01/10 02:13 AM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
. Disagree on that one. Almost like saying if ya forget your bullets or your release or your gloves or your flashlight, your not responsible to have a gun.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Big Daddy K] #1792663 11/01/10 02:31 AM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was checked by the GW and produced from my pocket my license and my sons in the same little holder. He had no issue with it. My son is 8 and we we dove hunting. I know this thread is deer hunting related but still the GW just said "thank you".

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: swmays] #1792821 11/01/10 03:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: swmays
I was checked by the GW and produced from my pocket my license and my sons in the same little holder. He had no issue with it. My son is 8 and we we dove hunting. I know this thread is deer hunting related but still the GW just said "thank you".

Again, a TPWD officer "advised" me to advise students in my Hunter Education classes that it's "best" to have your kids carry their own license. That way, you avoid the potential in dealing with an officer who may be more strict and "by the book".

I suspect the fact that your son was with you also made a difference. The officer might have reacted differently had that not been the case. And let's be honest, if you make it a point to carry the license for your child, you probably still have it in your wallet at those time when you're hunting without them. That's why I keep my daughter's license in my truck so that it's there when she goes with me. When she doesn't, it stays in the truck, rather than in my wallet.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1792946 11/01/10 04:25 AM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Fair enough Dan. Something to consider when I am deer hunting without out my son. Sounds like I should leave his license in the truck.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: swmays] #1793168 11/01/10 12:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: swmays
Fair enough Dan. Something to consider when I am deer hunting without out my son. Sounds like I should leave his license in the truck.

It would be better than getting checked by an officer, and after having gotten a license out of your wallet, having to say something like "No, that's not it. That's my son's license."

Besides, using tags from another person's license is one of the oldest hunting violations that's still around.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1794282 11/01/10 06:30 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I think one of the best ways to keep a younger kids license with them is with a license holder that gets safety pinned to the front of his shirt. Put his coat over it so it does not get ripped off by brush or him or her messing with it.
Then when you get out of the field take it off and secure it. Of course always use it as a teaching moment. If you loose this you will not be able to hunt. My Dad took my gun away from me in the field and made me walk back to the truck because I left my wallet at home. I was probably 15 at the time. I have forgotten alot of things but I always double check my wallet and license 40 years later.

Old Soldier
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1794321 11/01/10 06:42 PM
U
UncleTed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
Baiting animals.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: UncleTed] #1794330 11/01/10 06:45 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: UncleTed
Baiting animals.

rofl

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: BOB7] #1794394 11/01/10 07:01 PM
M
mws Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I keep my pistol, shotgun and my rifle loaded with one in the chamber 24-7 in my truck. I have had a loaded gun my truck for 17 years. I also keep a couple loaded in the house 24-7. A gun is always loaded come on.

When I first started carrying a pistol I had a cop ask me if I was stupid. I said what his response was you carry an unloaded pistol that want do you any good. So at that moment I grabbed my pistol and chambered one. He said now it will work.

In the time of need do you have the time to chamber one? I hope you do.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: mws] #1794409 11/01/10 07:06 PM
M
mws Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I think my four year old will use all of her tags this year. up

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Justin T] #1794418 11/01/10 07:09 PM
R
robbf213 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Take the time to read the back of your hunting license. It tells you everything you need to know to fill it out properly. Tag the deer before you move it, cut the dates out completely and fill out the harvest log. It has been a law for 6 years now, don't expect a warning from the GW.

Loaded guns in the vehicle aren't against the law, it's your responsibility to be safe. Ask yourself, does it really need to be loaded?

Carrying your wife or kids license on you isn't a issue, just don't use their tags.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1794961 11/01/10 09:42 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Here's one that gets several otherwise honest people every year - Not having a working pen with you to complete the tag. Every year someone will decide to load the deer up and tag it back at camp because they didn't have a pen on them when they killed it.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: robbf213] #1795095 11/01/10 10:32 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: robbf213
Take the time to read the back of your hunting license. It tells you everything you need to know to fill it out properly. Tag the deer before you move it, cut the dates out completely and fill out the harvest log. It has been a law for 6 years now, don't expect a warning from the GW.

Loaded guns in the vehicle aren't against the law, it's your responsibility to be safe. Ask yourself, does it really need to be loaded?

Carrying your wife or kids license on you isn't a issue, just don't use their tags.

x2. That's what I was going to say, also. Although it's been six years (really? dang....) I bet improperly completed (or not completed) game logs are still the #1 violation. I don't see a problem carrying your kids license. Game wardens are not idiots, they are not "out to get you," they are selected because they cave a healthy store of good common sense. If you're with your kid and pull his license from your vest pocket to show the warden I cannot fathom this EVER being a problem so long as you are in immediate proximity to the youngster, as the law requires.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 11/01/10 10:33 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1795099 11/01/10 10:33 PM
T
tk325 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Here's one that gets several otherwise honest people every year - Not having a working pen with you to complete the tag. Every year someone will decide to load the deer up and tag it back at camp because they didn't have a pen on them when they killed it.

Happened to me a few years ago. I now make it a habbit to keep a pack of pens in the truck. A pretty cheap fix considering what would happen if the GW stopped you.

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: tk325] #1795137 11/01/10 10:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tk325
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Happened to me a few years ago. I now make it a habbit to keep a pack of pens in the truck. A pretty cheap fix considering what would happen if the GW stopped you.

That's for sure. And don't forget several zip ties for attaching tags to the antlers.

Of course I have to use long zip ties to go around those massive main beams.

banana

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Texas Dan] #1795463 11/02/10 12:46 AM
R
Ray Ray Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I have never seen so many worms in one can, aside from safety concerns there's no law that says you can't carry a load rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or a handgun. Remember back in the days when there were rifle racks in the back windows of trucks? Bet there was at least one of 'em loaded. What's the purpose of being a CHL holder and carrying an unloaded pistol on you for protection if you have to pull it and chamber a round. It all boils down to safe gun handling with a loaded weapon. Hey, law enforcement officers do this all the time how many do you hear about them having an accident when handling a weapon, not to say it doesn't happen. If your gonna carry a loaded weapon on you or about you, you must be aware and cautious and should know your weapon like you know the back of you hand. You can carry your exempt childs license on you, like it was said you can't use it. I've been checked several times on public lands and pulled both out to get to mine; all the GW asked was who's it was and sometimes looked at it, said OK and handed it back, with no issues or problems, sometimes maybe asking where she was at. Depending on the MLD level your on; you have to use the DOE permit for MLD not your license tag, you use the buck tag off your license. hammer

Last edited by Ray Ray; 11/02/10 12:51 AM.

If we always do, what we have always done, the we always get, what we have always gotten! Learn to adapt!
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Ray Ray] #1795517 11/02/10 12:59 AM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
you can't try to say its yours if you carry someone elses you have to show them yours and you can't tag your deer with someone elses so if your carrying your sons or daughters and the game warden says can i see your lisence and you show him yours then no biggy now if you didn't have one and tried to say your sons was yours then trouble but my dad used to carry it all the time for me when we were dove hunting and got checked my dad would hand him mine too never had any problems

don't know if that was already posted got tired of reading them all and thought i'd drop my 2 cents

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: robbf213] #1797729 11/02/10 06:05 PM
H
htharp Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: robbf213

The first year this went into effect I filled out only the tag and not the log. Got checked in town when I stopped to get lunch. Lost the deer (confiscated) and got a $300 fine. I won't make that mistake again. One more note - the GW was a complete jerk. Showing off in front of his junior trainee and acting really tough, even told the trainee to shut up when he mentioned that it looked like I had tried to do the right thing. I tried to be as polite and contrite as possible, but it was hard.

There's so much I don't know that I don't even know what I don't know.
Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: htharp] #1797757 11/02/10 06:13 PM
F
FISHUNTER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Falling for the scam of hog hunting without an archery stamp.
TP&W says its ok
Game Warden says its not ok

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: mws] #1797773 11/02/10 06:17 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: mws
I keep my pistol, shotgun and my rifle loaded with one in the chamber 24-7 in my truck. I have had a loaded gun my truck for 17 years. I also keep a couple loaded in the house 24-7. A gun is always loaded come on.

When I first started carrying a pistol I had a cop ask me if I was stupid. I said what his response was you carry an unloaded pistol that want do you any good. So at that moment I grabbed my pistol and chambered one. He said now it will work.

In the time of need do you have the time to chamber one? I hope you do.

it really does take a while to chamber a round in a hand gun.

When i went on a fishing trip, i took my handgun out of the truck and put it in the drawer of the hotel room. One of the guys asked if it was loaded i respond "of course"...

Then they all ask "why do u carry a loaded gun".... they were referring to it being in the chamber. Its not hard to see how long it takes to pull back a slide. Not to mention, u could not pull it back all the way or something and cause a malfunction, guess what, ur dead.

It also takes two hands to do that instead of just using one.

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

Re: Most common hunting regulation mistakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #1797912 11/02/10 06:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Brandon A

As for the most common hunting reg mistakes... nothing illegal about carrying a loaded gun in ur truck... why would u even post that?

I included that comment for the discussion it would be sure to create. With more shooting accidents occuring every year near vehicles than near deer stands, I feel it's a discussion that has tremendous merit.

Keep in mind too that it is not illegal to have a shooting accident. But clearly, that doesn't somehow take anything away from the aftermath, or much less provide an excuse.

Simply put, I will never intentionally carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding in any vehicle, and consider it a mistake to do so. And the reason is very simple. I have a much greater desire to avoid killing myself or another person, than I do in desiring to kill any animal. As with anything, it's a matter of weighing the potential consequences of one's actions.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide