Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: campcook] #15899 01/28/05 02:26 PM
HighTechRedneck Offline
redman
redman
Easy,Easy. It does bother me to see or hear of a wounded animal getting away. Heck, I stop for squirrells to cross the street. I am just saying that those that would watch that and go and try it with out practise would probably do it anyway. Keep the show but add the disclaimer, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, THESE SHOT'S ARE DONE BY PROFESSIONALS. Probably wouldn't stop all of them but might make some go practise. The shot's are awesome and evidently he has put many many hours on the range practising. I enjoy watching his awesome calculated shots, especially the ones at balloons where he is calculating the windage and yardage.

VEGETARIAN,
an old Indian word for
Poor Hunter!
www.teamredneck.net
www.vaportrailscents.com
Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: HighTechRedneck] #15900 01/28/05 04:36 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It's funny how we now have to put disclaimers or warning labels on everything to keep the idiots from hurting themselves and then litigating the hell out of it. What ever happened to common sense???

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: Bonehead] #15901 01/28/05 04:54 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I hear ya Bonehead! Warning labels, parent advisory labels, government mandated labels...where does it end? When does it once again become the people's responsibility? When will they stop acting like sheep and start accepting the consequences for their own actions?

Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: JBCooper] #15902 01/28/05 05:00 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It will probably end when you can't sue someone for millions of dollars cause YOU burnt YOURSELF with hot coffee that YOU bought from them. I'm so sick of the "Politically Correct" crap going on in todays world also. Sorry to vent! TGIF!!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: campcook] #15903 01/28/05 05:07 PM
S
samh Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
You are right CHC.
There have been two shots I passed up both on nice bucks because I was not comfortable with the shot presented to me. I knew I could make both shots but just was not comfortable doing it. I know there are lots of people out there that would have squeezed the trigger any way and maybe hit the deer and maybe just wound it to where it would never be found.
On that show he stresses all the time to shoot only what you have practiced and comfortable with.
I saw the episode that redneck is refering to when he set up targets with balloons. He set them at unset distances (out to 1400 yards) and then used his range finder and then figured out then windage.
Someone asked about a 500 yard range. Yes I know of one.
It is between Gordon (where I live) and Stephenville on highway 108. It is at TacPro. They have ranges up to 1000 yards. You have to be a member to be able to shoot though. I am not sure what it costs. I have shot thier 100 yard range only once. I like to shoot at Pigion Road personally but thier longest range is only 100 yards. If you want more info on TacPro let me know I will give them a call and post my findings.
Back to long range shooting. A couple years after I started hunting I started daydreaming about being able to make a 300 yard+ shot. It finally happened for me 5 years ago. I killed a very nice buck at 335 yards. It was a very proud moment for me and probly the deer I am most proud of. When I shot him he just stood there. He humped up so I thought he was gut shot. So I put another round in him. That time he ran about 15 yards and fell dead right there. When I looked for the bullet holes they were less than two inches apart and both perfect heart lungers. There was no wind that day but it was a drizzleing rain. I relive that hunt everytime I see that mount on my wall. Was a great day for me.

Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: samh] #15904 02/01/05 01:43 PM
S
sandman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I would also like to stress the importance of actually SHOOTING on a 200, 300, 400 yard range before you attempt a shot at those distances. Just because you sight your gun in at '1.5" over' at 100 and it groups well does not mean that at 200 or 300 or ... it will group the same. Ballistics tables do not always take into account the harmonics and twist rates of a barrel and are not always reliable. Yes, the physics of the drop values can be calculated but every gun shoots different loads differently.

I know of several rifles that shoot loads that will group 3" at 300 yards and are all over the paper at 100. I've seen just as many that were 1" at 100 and 6-8" (or more) at 300.

Just because your buddy has a .270 and he shoots Hornadys and groups 1" at 200 doesn't mean you will. Shoot your rifle at those ranges and find out what YOUR rifle with YOUR ammo and YOUR trigger finger will do.

Re: MEN'S Channel [Re: sandman] #15905 02/01/05 02:41 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Sandman brings up an important aspect to making successful longer shots...some bullets just don't stabilze completely until they are ???100-200??? yards out of the muzzle, and only shooting experience will tell you the whole story.

Just like most, if not all, non AO scopes for Centerfire rifles are factory set for correct paralax adjustments at either 100 or 150 yards, because those distances cover the large majority of all hunting situations and shots taken, and the the paralax problems don't begin showing with those 100/150 yard factory settings until shots over 300 yards on game - not target shots but game shots - become a problem with miss'es and poor bullet placement because of sight picture/crosshair ie paralax issues...standard grade hunting bullets are by and large made for those same distances, but some truly target quality, deep penetrating or heavy-for-caliber bullets do much better at slower speeds -read distance from muzzle like the outstanding accuracy the 300WinMg is noted for in 200 gr'ers at long ranges but less than 5/10% of 300Wmg shooters I know use a 200 gr bullet (I don't, but favor a 180 as a compromise and don't need the heavier bullet for what I shoot at and the under 300 yard shots I limit myself to) and this is a symptom of bullet stabilization issues.

A given brand of rifle may also contribute to the stabilization problem by the rate of barrel twist they build, you have to look at what the brand rifle/caliber vs the most intended use/caliber/bullet weight to understand where I'm going with this. But a quick illustration would be the Remington fiasco when they intro'd the 244 Remington with a 1/12 twist for bullets up to 90 grains and Winchester blew them out of the market with their 1/10 twist on the still successful 243. Remington lost the marketing war advantage of beating Winchester to market with a better ammunition design becasue they totally mis read the market and the 1/12 twists in the 244 will not stablize the 100 grain most-popular-for-caliber bullet weight that were available at that time. Remington was forced to rename the cartridge the 6mm and use 1/10 twist barrels but it never recovered the marketing edge Remington had lost. 100 gr ammo outsells 80 grain ammo 10 to 1 in a 243 because the average intended use is for deer sized animals and not the varmint sized critters Remington envisioned.

If you want to really explore the capabilities of long range shooting you will need to become adept at picking the fly poop out of the pepper by practicing at 500 yards or more. Real eyeopeners! about some popular brands of rifles, caliber/cartridges and bullets at those distances...and the fastest stuff ain't always the hands down best paper puncher.

Meanwhile the average Texas White Tail is harvested at about 75/85 yards ...year in and year out ...and has been as long as anybody can remember... and another reason the the old thutty thutty "Indian rifle" is still such a good usable cartridge even with its rainbow trajectory and slow 2400 fps muzzle velocity... and 150 yard max range for consistent one shot kills.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide