Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1545231 07/21/10 05:06 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
Damn, Jim. Do you play golf in your back yard? Looks good.

Interesting that you ask ... we did put in 4 holes when we designed the 7-1/2 acres of lawn. All par 3s.

That's awesome, I'd love to have some par 3's in the yard.

You have created a "retirement paradise" for men like us.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: kdub] #1545248 07/21/10 05:12 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: kdub
Hahahaha Dude you're cracking me up. What kind of dogs do you see in the background of Cappys bottom pic. laugh

Cappy it looks like that little guy is coming along well. grin

Thanks kdub ... He sure is, well beyond my original expectations. What he lacks in prey drive (that Cappy and Remi both have) he sure makes up for in his smarts and desire to please. Carol ended up with exactly what she had hoped for ... a Poodle's non-allergenic and light shedding coat with the Labs super disposition. And on top of it ... he's gonna make a better-than-ok meat dawg.

TG37:
Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude, but the first post was what do you think about them. Hell, my mind was made up when i ready the title. It's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. Just like Cappy likes the Doodle.

But, if any of my buddies caught me hunting with something called a doodle, i'd hunt alone the rest of my life...

Didn't interpret your reply as rude ... just uninformed. wink

One day when you get to be an old fut like me and don't give a ratsazz about hunting buddies opinions (or anyone elses for that matter) ... and unless they pay your bills or theirs is the only huntable land for 100s of miles ... you only have to make your wife and yourself happy ... and not always in that order.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1545470 07/21/10 06:46 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
So Jim, you think Rusty is smarter than Cappy and Remi?

How about his swimming and retrieving? Are Cappy and Remi faster swimmers? I remember asking you when you first got him if his paws were webbed and you said they were...so just curious.

Also, last you posted you said you didn't know if you would force fetch him because he was pretty soft. What did you end up doing? I ask because you commented about not having the prey drive of Remi and Cappy.

To me, this whole Rusty project has been fascinating and educational thanks for sharing it with us along the way. I've said all along...the way Cappy took to the boy I knew he would turn out alright.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Judd] #1545539 07/21/10 07:23 PM
R
rb85cj7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Quote:
Im out on those mixed breeds. It's like a fish and Ski boat. You have to give up deck space for all the seating to accomadate passengers. You have to give up something to get something else. just not a big fan. IMHO

Don't tell the Germans. They have been breeding versatile dogs for the last 100 years. They are true hunting dogs.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Mud Shark] #1545643 07/21/10 08:12 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: TG37
Originally Posted By: nogeese
Thanks kdub. I'm not trying to be rude, but the first post was what do you think about them. Hell, my mind was made up when i ready the title. It's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. Just like Cappy likes the Doodle.

But, if any of my buddies caught me hunting with something called a doodle, i'd hunt alone the rest of my life...

why would they steal your dog? smile

They would leave me at the boat ramp with a thermos of coffee and a doodle...

well then you should be there with your best friend screw the rest of em... if anybody made fun of my dog I wouldnt want to hunt with them anyway... just sayin...

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Judd] #1545685 07/21/10 08:32 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Judd
So Jim, you think Rusty is smarter than Cappy and Remi?

How about his swimming and retrieving? Are Cappy and Remi faster swimmers? I remember asking you when you first got him if his paws were webbed and you said they were...so just curious.

Also, last you posted you said you didn't know if you would force fetch him because he was pretty soft. What did you end up doing? I ask because you commented about not having the prey drive of Remi and Cappy.

To me, this whole Rusty project has been fascinating and educational thanks for sharing it with us along the way. I've said all along...the way Cappy took to the boy I knew he would turn out alright.

Keeping in mind that Rusty is seven months old, the jury is still out on what he will be at 12 to 15 months of age. He's at a disadvantage now in that the temps get so hot early here every day that just a single 15-20 minute session each morning at opening light is about all that I can put him through until the weather cools down. Even the pond water is in the upper 80s. By then it will be virtually season.

He's a medium strong swimmer with somewhat timid entries whereas Cap and Remi are "Dock Dogs" in their full charge entries. Rusty LOVES to retrieve but lacks the fierce prey drive when chasing a hobbled pigeon that the other two have always had. Either of them would find a way over or through a 6-strand barbed wire fence and/or cattle panel to get at a crip. Rusty, on the other hand, is stopped dead in his tracks by a wildly flapping pigeon as he approaches it. Dead birds are fine, however. That will change in time. Once he has the bird in mouth he'll prance and parade with it for 10 minutes if I'll let him do so.

Rusty's FFing has been limited to my use of level 1 or 2 continuous stimulation to pick-up and hold an object if he drops it. And he handles that very well. As a result I won't take him through conventional table FF using a toe hitch, ear pinch and the "usual" techniques.

Showing his a rolled up newspaper or a very stern NO in the house seems to almost break his spirit. That's a gross overstatement but helps illustrate the very soft dog characterization I've suggested in the past. If I do correct him, changing the tone of my voice and giving him a happy "here boy" and it's wiggle-butt time all the way to me. He's extremely good natured and even affectionate. Seeks approval and really thrives on it - which is a huge plus for supplemental training with treats and atta boys occasionally

Remi is sharp. She can do things in the field and at home that suggests a highly developed canine IQ and problem solving thought process. Cappy is more of the plodding typical "Goonie Bird" lovable Lab that we all know or have. Not to say he's slow or dumb, just not as astute as Remi in learning and mastering mental challenges. Rusty seems to be at least as sharp as Remi was at that same age, we'll see.

Rusty is just now learning tracking and remote handling. He seems to understand the concepts but clearly has to train individually without Carol, other dawgs or any distractions.
Rusty is my 10th "gun dawg" in 50+ years of owning and training my own. That includes a Brittany, two Setters, two GSPs, an English and an American Pointer and the two Labs. So far I would rate Rusty in the lower 1/3 at this stage of his training for probable ultimate overall gun dawg rank ... and much of that is my fault by going so slowly rather than any particular deficiency of his.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1545825 07/21/10 09:35 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Thanks for the run down and comparisons Cappy. I have enjoyed your Rusty progress reports and pictures of the kids!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Judd] #1546426 07/22/10 02:35 AM
H
Honker Jake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Unless you live with someone that is allergic, can't run a vacuum, or just want's to be different (not that there is anything wrong with that), what are the reason's to choose a labradoodle over a lab if you want lab like traits? Like a lab has.

Cappy, I enjoy your post about your dog. I think he will turn out great. Just to be clear, I am not knocking you or the breed. It sound's like you got what you wanted, and you can probably write a book about the breed when it's all said and done.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Honker Jake] #1546536 07/22/10 03:08 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
So because you post a pic your a labdoodle with a bird in its mouth that makes them hunting dogs????

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1546562 07/22/10 03:17 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
"that matter, the Standard Poodle predates the Labrador breed by a century and it was bred specifically as a waterfowl retriever. But don't let facts confuse you since your mind is already made up."

Yes that is true but doesn't mean that it is not very hard to find one in either bred that can find a biscuit on its had and that's a fact as well

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1546663 07/22/10 03:46 AM
D
duckhunter42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
mine is coming along really well, he's a godendoodle though. Introduced to live birds in the last few days and is really taking off! love the dogs intelligence, and temperment, he has a strong desire to retriever which is all that really matters at the end of the day.

There are only two types of people without beards, Women and Boys. I am neither.
Jase Robertson
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: duckhunter42] #1548908 07/23/10 04:32 AM
E
ellasdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I have a labradoodle because my wife wanted one. Ours is a year old and a retrieving machine. She loves to swim. If we leave her on the dock and take the boat out, she jumps in and swims to the boat. She is the most loving dog we have ever owned and I have had two labs. I do not plan on hunting with her because she will most likely be trained as a service dog. Earlier today she cruised the house in my 2 year olds Superman cape.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: ellasdad] #1549004 07/23/10 11:18 AM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ellasdad
I have a labradoodle because my wife wanted one. Ours is a year old and a retrieving machine. She loves to swim. If we leave her on the dock and take the boat out, she jumps in and swims to the boat. She is the most loving dog we have ever owned and I have had two labs. I do not plan on hunting with her because she will most likely be trained as a service dog.

Can you elaborate on that last statement? I know of several hunting Labs that are wonderful service dawgs as well. Why can't Ella do the same?

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: pawpaw52] #1557127 07/27/10 08:06 PM
W
waterlandkennels Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
i have trained some labradoodle's before and they turned out to be great hunting dogs for the owner. They can be trained. i dont want to offend anyone who has a labradoodle. But, for the money you might want to look to a pure breed dog. At least you would be able to see the blood lines for hunting and trainability(Titles on the dogs). Each breed has good qualities and bad ones look for both the good and bad. Than decide which traites are most important to you. However if you start mixing breeds which qualities are you gonna get? For the money that the people are charging for these labradoodle's. You can get a good pure breed dog and train them in less time. Saying that each dog is an individual and they all learn at different rates

Last edited by waterlandkennels; 07/27/10 08:08 PM.
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: pawpaw52] #1565910 07/31/10 08:04 PM
C
Charles Smith II Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Designer breed.

There's too much possibiity of genetic issues. The breed is too new to determine any stability in breeding consistency.

If you want a versatile dog, stick with one of the AKC breeds.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Charles Smith II] #1574740 08/04/10 05:23 PM
S
scott1071 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Have you looked at a pudlepointer? They are not one of the new "designer" mixed breeds and have been around since the 1800's in Europe. I am allergic to dogs and these things were supposed to be easy on the allergies and shed very little. I have had mine for a year and he only bothers my allergies a little and only sheds a very small amount. They can be very capable water & upland dogs as I have hunted over them. Mine's not there yet.

Pudelpointer Info

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: scott1071] #1575425 08/04/10 10:18 PM
T
trainer21 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
New to the forum
There’s good & bad in both breeds ..BUT I’ve trained about 30 of the beasts (Which is not many..I do not take them anymore) and I can say it was hit or miss on the brains dept. Maybe 4 out of that bunch could find there food bowl..This was at the beginning of the craze maybe they have changed????

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1581280 08/07/10 07:19 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I like Labs - but that's just me. Not downing the 'doodle, just prefer the Lab looks, coat, temperament, etc.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1581292 08/07/10 07:26 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Originally Posted By: ellasdad
I have a labradoodle because my wife wanted one. Ours is a year old and a retrieving machine. She loves to swim. If we leave her on the dock and take the boat out, she jumps in and swims to the boat. She is the most loving dog we have ever owned and I have had two labs. I do not plan on hunting with her because she will most likely be trained as a service dog.

Can you elaborate on that last statement? I know of several hunting Labs that are wonderful service dawgs as well. Why can't Ella do the same?

We train for both - gun dogs and SAR dogs. We have had several along the way that were good for both. Of course, we've had some that were good for one and not the other, too. Sarge can air scent a victim over 1/4 mile away and he's great hunting, too. Bear retrieves great (hasn't been hunting yet) but he discriminates scent, too. In SAR drills at 9 months old, he found 43 victims out of 43 of various ages, ethnicities & gender. They were all forest searches and several included multiple victims in the woods placed as distractions. He ignored all non-matching scents. I'll be ecstatic if he is anywhere near as good hunting as he is in Search & Rescue!

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: pawpaw52] #1590805 08/11/10 05:13 PM
S
Steve S Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I got 2 that I hunt with. I have had labs in the past and will probably never get another one. The labradoodles are more calm, easier to train and more obiedient. We hunt ducks and geese up here in Colorado and they do fine down to zero degree weather. Yes, you will need to get used to die hard lab. guys asking you what in the hell is that dog.....Until they see how good the dog can be. Youtube, labradoodle hunting shaggy and see my mutt on a 100 yard goose retrieve. Of course, it is all in the training anyways. By the way, the F1 B (lab and poodle mix) shed only about 1/3 of a lab. Good luck.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Steve S] #1591255 08/11/10 08:36 PM
D
duckhunter42 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I got 2 that I hunt with. I have had labs in the past and will probably never get another one. The labradoodles are more calm, easier to train and more obiedient. We hunt ducks and geese up here in Colorado and they do fine down to zero degree weather. Yes, you will need to get used to die hard lab. guys asking you what in the hell is that dog.....Until they see how good the dog can be. Youtube, labradoodle hunting shaggy and see my mutt on a 100 yard goose retrieve. Of course, it is all in the training anyways. By the way, the F1 B (lab and poodle mix) shed only about 1/3 of a lab. Good luck.

nice video! thanks for sharing!

There are only two types of people without beards, Women and Boys. I am neither.
Jase Robertson
Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Cappy_TX] #1619545 08/24/10 06:51 PM
E
EasTexHunterRetriever Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I'm not knocking anyone who owns a doodle but they have got to be the dumbest dogs I have encountered..... That said, intelligence varies from dog to dog. I am sure some are worth their salt.

And the fact of the matter is, is no matter what level your dog is trained to or not trained to, your gonna take them home, feed them, and their gonna lay on the floor and lick their butt.

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: EasTexHunterRetriever] #1619570 08/24/10 07:02 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: EasTexHunterRetriever
I'm not knocking anyone who owns a doodle but they have got to be the dumbest dogs I have encountered..... That said, intelligence varies from dog to dog. I am sure some are worth their salt.

So does hyperness, loyalty, and all of the other "traits" that people claim these breeds have or don't have. I've seen hyper labs and i've seen calm labs, smart labs and dumb labs(mostly chocolates), fat labs and skinny labs, love to hunt labs and hate to hunt labs, tall ones and short ones. The only certainty about the labradoodle , i just threw up in my mouth when i said that, and all of the "better traits" is they don't shed as much as regular lab. That is the only characteristic that could benifit people who own this breed. All other characteristics should be based on individual dogs.

Mud Shark

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: Mud Shark] #1622793 08/25/10 07:36 PM
A
AGray Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
[/quote] So does hyperness, loyalty, and all of the other "traits" that people claim these breeds have or don't have. I've seen hyper labs and i've seen calm labs, smart labs and dumb labs(mostly chocolates), fat labs and skinny labs, love to hunt labs and hate to hunt labs, tall ones and short ones. The only certainty about the labradoodle , i just threw up in my mouth when i said that, and all of the "better traits" is they don't shed as much as regular lab. That is the only characteristic that could benifit people who own this breed. All other characteristics should be based on individual dogs. [/quote]

.... here we go on the color issue...
(is there a "can of worms" icon?)

Re: Labradoodle ?? [Re: AGray] #1624744 08/26/10 01:00 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: AGray
[/quote] So does hyperness, loyalty, and all of the other "traits" that people claim these breeds have or don't have. I've seen hyper labs and i've seen calm labs, smart labs and dumb labs(mostly chocolates), fat labs and skinny labs, love to hunt labs and hate to hunt labs, tall ones and short ones. The only certainty about the labradoodle , i just threw up in my mouth when i said that, and all of the "better traits" is they don't shed as much as regular lab. That is the only characteristic that could benifit people who own this breed. All other characteristics should be based on individual dogs.

.... here we go on the color issue...
(is there a "can of worms" icon?) [/quote]

It's just a joke between me and a few friends.

Mud Shark

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide