Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: M16] #1238039 02/12/10 03:29 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: M16
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Psychosmurf
I think its just as ignorant to join and then do nothing yourself to help defend our rights because they suposedly do it for you.

That is the key right there, a non member that is active in politics is more effective than a member that just pays his $25 and sits on his arse and expects NRA to do everything.

I would tend to agree. But a member who contributes and is active is more effective. That is why the NRA sends out the mailings alerting you to pending legislation. It always says to call your congressman and let them know your stance. But you are correct. Just being a member is not enough. Do both.

I am a member, not real active with NRA anymore. They gotten off track from their message several times. Heston helped get them back, but they still have too many execs and too many factions within that keep them off message in my opinion.

I do recognize their clout. A good friend of ours work for Ralph Hall in Washington and later in his local office. They weight letters and emails in a points system... and being a NRA member adds weighted points to whatever you are writing about, even if its a non-gun issue, because their data says NRA members are WAY more likely to be active locally and to vote.

All that said, I am smart enough to know that you don't have to be a member to be pro-2nd supporter.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1238202 02/12/10 04:52 PM
G
Gus McRae Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
You certainly don't HAVE to be a member of the NRA to be pro-2nd Amendment. But how else do you show your support? Bitching on the internet and telling your friends how you "support" the 2nd Amendment does absolutely NOTHING to help out in the battle.

Yes, in an ideal world, people would be involved in local politics in support of the 2nd Amendment. But the reality is most folks are too busy with work, family, etc. to volunteer. So, they can help out with their $$ by giving to campaigns of candidates who are adamantly pro-2nd Amendment or by giving $$ to lobbying groups like the NRA.

To do neither is intellectually lazy and does absolutely nothing to help the cause. If you truly believe in a movement, you need to help in one way or the other. The NRA is the easiest and #1 best way to do that.

I'll leave you with a famous quote:

"The only thing required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." -Thomas Paine

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Gus McRae] #1239250 02/13/10 01:15 AM
K
kilt it Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Every time I mark my ballot I do my part.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: kilt it] #1239430 02/13/10 02:48 AM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
Not a member for ONE big reason.....

Several years ago I was called by a recruiter....asked me all sorts of questions......
I told him that I supported gun rights, but that I wasn't opposed to waiting periods, background checks and such......

He went off on me......like I was a criminal....

Don't go for that crap.....I believe you ought to be able to own what you want......
Do I want a fully automatice machine gun.....NO, but I am not opposed to the next guy having one..

Am I ok that I had to wait a few days to get my new shotgun several years back because of a glitch in the system....I am perfectly fine with that......

Just didn't like that guys attitude....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: M16] #1239491 02/13/10 03:19 AM
G
Garu Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I am a member but, they are wareing me out with phone solicitations. I need to find out how to opt out of that BS. We as gun owners need someone or some group to lobby those crooked a$$ polititions. The polititions will sell us out in a heartbeat,so be warry and make your vote count.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Garu] #1239616 02/13/10 04:02 AM
T
Texas Proud Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Member here and a member of a lot of other hunting clubs/ ranges. I do my part on tha ballot and give $$ when I can.

I try to get others involved in hunting or shooting. That's another way I help out.

I plan on getting more kids into the sport of hunting and shooting. I'm sure a few of my sons buddies parents aren't hunters and I might be able to take them along to a lease or out to the range to try a few rounds. My son will be joining cub scouts this fall and that will be another way to get to know the parents that don't hunt and help introduce them into it.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Texas Proud] #1239656 02/13/10 04:18 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Texas Proud
Member here and a member of a lot of other hunting clubs/ ranges. I do my part on tha ballot and give $$ when I can.

I try to get others involved in hunting or shooting. That's another way I help out.

I plan on getting more kids into the sport of hunting and shooting. I'm sure a few of my sons buddies parents aren't hunters and I might be able to take them along to a lease or out to the range to try a few rounds. My son will be joining cub scouts this fall and that will be another way to get to know the parents that don't hunt and help introduce them into it.

Thats the way to do it. Be a member, give cash when you can and start the young ones in the right direction. My applause and thanks up

Last edited by 10pointers; 02/13/10 04:19 AM.
Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: 10pointers] #1239736 02/13/10 04:54 AM
T
TJC3 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I'm a member and I just ignore there requests for more money. They can be a little over the top from time to time, but they do work hard to protect gun ownership rights.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1239815 02/13/10 05:50 AM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I'm a member, been one since I was 15. I need to break down and get the life membership.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: West Fork Armory] #1239862 02/13/10 07:21 AM
J
jdw Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
and you can get phone calls and solicitation for life too.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Dustnsand] #1239922 02/13/10 09:21 AM
C
cgd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
life member here

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: jdw] #1239930 02/13/10 10:19 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: jdw
and you can get phone calls and solicitation for life too.

small Insignificant price to pay or even worry about.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: 10pointers] #1240136 02/13/10 03:21 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
For those of you who feel you are receiving too much mail and/or solicitations.....this is directly from the NRA's FAQ section on their website:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Eland Slayer] #1240158 02/13/10 03:29 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
I guess I'll continue to be lazy and ignorant according to Gus then. Guess the kids and adults we teach about shooting and hunting and bringing more people to the sport mean nothing. Might as well stop voting and working in campaigns in my area too. No reason to defend gun owners and hunters in every venue I get the chance, I mean, just griping on the internet, speaking to individuals and groups, doing community programs for gun safety, gun care, and other pro-gun pro 2nd amendment stuff is worthless since I am only a life member for about 26 years now, only served on 4 national committees and industry boards, thats all useless according to Gus....

Gus that is one of the dumbest stances I have seen on here. That plays right into HCI and other anti's by trying to wedge gun owners apart. If they join great, or tell them in a positive way why you think they should join, or metion the benefits of membership.... but coming on here with avid outdoorsmen (and ladies) and telling us we're ignorant and lazy is just, well, stupid.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Eland Slayer] #1240163 02/13/10 03:32 PM
686ppp Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
NO here. I paid a membership in cash (my fault for trusting) and never got it. I have talked to them on the phone a couple times with oh so sorry as a response. That was 15+ years ago I would be a member today if not for that.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: 686ppp] #1240447 02/13/10 06:04 PM
C
cable Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Thought the percentage would be closer to 90%. 75% ain't bad, but on a hunting forum I thought it would be higher.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: 686ppp] #1240448 02/13/10 06:04 PM
P
pig out Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
i have thought about joining but just haven't got around to it. although i do go to all the banquets near me.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Eland Slayer] #1240548 02/13/10 07:07 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
For those of you who feel you are receiving too much mail and/or solicitations.....this is directly from the NRA's FAQ section on their website:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Man, that sure does seem like a lot of trouble Eland... bang

Member here and I've never even considered dropping it for one main reason.....the NRA is the single largest, most determined, most effective lobbying force working on our behalf that exists. They go head to head with factions and political machines whose sole intention is to disarm, period. Without the NRA, there's not much telling where we'd be as far as our right to keep and bear. And no, I don't trust politicians alone to protect our rights. I don't agree with each and every stance they take. Do they sometimes go to the extreme in my opinion? Yes....but it's because they have to to offset the nutjobs on the other side of the proverbial fence. And although I've gotten few, there's no way I'd not be a member because of a few phone calls any more than I'd not vote for a preferred candidate because of calls from his/her campaign. There's too much at stake to let such trivial things get in the way of supporting the #1 pro gun group on the planet IMO.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1240562 02/13/10 07:17 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
[/quote]

Member here and I've never even considered dropping it for one main reason.....the NRA is the single largest, most determined, most effective lobbying force working on our behalf that exists. They go head to head with factions and political machines whose sole intention is to disarm, period. Without the NRA, there's not much telling where we'd be as far as our right to keep and bear. I don't agree with each and every stance they take. Do they sometimes go to the extreme in my opinion? Yes....but it's because they have to to offset the nutjobs on the other side of the proverbial fence. And although I've gotten few, there's no way I'd not be a member because of a few phone calls any more than I'd not vote for a preferred candidate because of calls from his/her campaign. There's too much at stake to let such trivial things get in the way of supporting the #1 pro gun group on the planet IMO. [/quote]

Well said.

All of the excessive junk mail/phone call excusses are just horse crap. Its too easy to contact the NRA and get the junk stopped!!!!

When we no longer have the right to own firearms, it will be too late to join!

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: elkhunter7x6] #1240592 02/13/10 07:38 PM
duck & cover
duck & cover
I think the phone calls and emails are a little heavier for people that have given in the past.

As for getting it completely stopped, no. You membership agreement gives the right to call and junk mail to you. I've tried.

They have done better lately supporting law enforcement, but some of their defense of the Branch Davidians and crap was out of line. I was very very active, and that soured me personally.

Many of you are apalled at the salaries of corporate and public leaders, and have nothing negative to say aboutthis?

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate some of the things the NRA does, and can support it overall. I just think that my time and effort is better spent getting more people in the field, and promoting firearms safety and awareness, rather than paying BIG salaries to lawyers and failed corporate execs as a fall back position.

And I am as much if not more pro 2nd amendment (and less government) than anyone.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1240604 02/13/10 07:41 PM
T
txbigly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
DITTO ON THAT VERN !!

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1240663 02/13/10 08:09 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
They have done better lately supporting law enforcement, but some of their defense of the Branch Davidians and crap was out of line. I was very very active, and that soured me personally.

Guess that had zero effect on me....perhaps even some of the opposite effect. Not defending Koresh, but how the feds handled that situation was unconscionable and I have no problem with any criticism of the agencies and what transpired in Waco. And I'm a big supporter of LE.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1240689 02/13/10 08:28 PM
G
Gus McRae Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I guess I'll continue to be lazy and ignorant according to Gus then.

Hmmm...not what I wrote.

Quote:
You certainly don't HAVE to be a member of the NRA to be pro-2nd Amendment. But how else do you show your support? Bitching on the internet and telling your friends how you "support" the 2nd Amendment does absolutely NOTHING to help out in the battle.

Yes, in an ideal world, people would be involved in local politics in support of the 2nd Amendment. But the reality is most folks are too busy with work, family, etc. to volunteer. So, they can help out with their $$ by giving to campaigns of candidates who are adamantly pro-2nd Amendment or by giving $$ to lobbying groups like the NRA.

To do neither is intellectually lazy and does absolutely nothing to help the cause.

So, that's great you help out. I am referring to the folks that do neither.

Guess the kids and adults we teach about shooting and hunting and bringing more people to the sport mean nothing. Might as well stop voting and working in campaigns in my area too. No reason to defend gun owners and hunters in every venue I get the chance, I mean, just griping on the internet, speaking to individuals and groups, doing community programs for gun safety, gun care, and other pro-gun pro 2nd amendment stuff is worthless since I am only a life member for about 26 years now, only served on 4 national committees and industry boards, thats all useless according to Gus....

Again, READ what I wrote. Reading comprehension please.

Gus that is one of the dumbest stances I have seen on here. That plays right into HCI and other anti's by trying to wedge gun owners apart. If they join great, or tell them in a positive way why you think they should join, or metion the benefits of membership.... but coming on here with avid outdoorsmen (and ladies) and telling us we're ignorant and lazy is just, well, stupid.

rolleyes One of my biggest pet peeves is when outdoorsmen would rather save a measly $25 a year than support the NRA. How many $000s do each of spend individually each year for hunting, fishing, etc. I will continue to encourage everyone I hunt, fish, or spend time in the outdoors with to join the NRA. Too bad you don't feel the same. The cause would be much better if you did.

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #1240697 02/13/10 08:33 PM
G
Gus McRae Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Guess that had zero effect on me....perhaps even some of the opposite effect. Not defending Koresh, but how the feds handled that situation was unconscionable and I have no problem with any criticism of the agencies and what transpired in Waco. And I'm a big supporter of LE.

x2. This is certainly a tangential subject, but only the Janet Renos of the world would defend the government's actions against Koresh. Let's see, he is the leader of a cult (not against the law), but raped under aged women (definitely against the law), so we'll attack his compound and kill everyone inside just to prove a point?? WTF? Why not grab him when he headed to town twice a week? I guess that wouldn't have "dramatic" enough for the Feds?

Re: Seriously- Who is A Member of the NRA [Re: Gus McRae] #1241065 02/14/10 01:02 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Gus McRae
x2. This is certainly a tangential subject, but only the Janet Renos of the world would defend the government's actions against Koresh. Let's see, he is the leader of a cult (not against the law), but raped under aged women (definitely against the law), so we'll attack his compound and kill everyone inside just to prove a point?? WTF? Why not grab him when he headed to town twice a week? I guess that wouldn't have "dramatic" enough for the Feds?

Yep, the Waco debacle was a disaster from the git-go.....poor decision after poor decision that resulted in senseless loss of life for both sides involved. The situation could have been handled much more easily with little, if any, fanfare. Of course the arrogance of the ATF at the time wouldn't allow that to happen.

Ironically, some in the govt. thought the raid on Mt. Carmel and planned arrest of Koresh would help repair their image that had been tarnished by the murder (can't think of another word to use) of Randy Weaver's dog, wife, who was shot while holding their infant son on their porch, and his 14-year-old son, who was also shot......in the back....during the infamous Ruby Ridge incident a year earlier. Their plan kinda' backfired.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide