Forums46
Topics538,279
Posts9,735,200
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: mightyp] #977236 10/21/09 02:30 PM
O
okbowhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
O
One morning when I was about 15 had on one of those funny looking fuzy ear muff caps and right at about first light had an owl try and take it. Never heard him coming. Scared the crap out of me.

Another one .... many moons ago. About 2am one night on the Little River in Oklahoma doing some beaver hunting. It started to snow something heavy and animals started moving everywhere it was pretty neat. Moving along the river we heard a strange sound coming from across the river like a half grunt whoof whoof over and over and shining the light over there we see some animal eyes up in the brush on top of the far bank. It was making a sound I've never heard before or since. My bro in law says hold the light on it and he made his way down the bank and started wading across in his chest waders breaking thin ice as he went and making all kinds of noise. The animal stopped making the noise but I could still see his eyes. Broinlaw made his way up the far bank seemed to me he should be right on top of it but I could tell he was looking around. I couldn't see the eyes anymore. About that moment he starts shooting with the 22mag auto 7 or 8 shots. I guess he missed we never figured out what it was he said he saw something run it was about the size of a very big coon. He also said it smelled an odd odor.

Next day I was telling my mom about it and tried describing the sound for her she said it was a wolverine she's from Mo. she said they had alot of them around the farm up there. If it was it was way south of its normal wolverines range.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: okbowhunter] #979095 10/21/09 11:48 PM
R
RCope Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
My brother and I were squirrel hunting in the Sabine river bottoms in Gregg county. I was carrying an old Mossberg bolt action 12 ga. We were walking through the muddy bottoms and were watching the treetops. All of the sudden I heard something on the ground and looked down and see a black snake curled up and ready to strike within 5 ft. The shotgun is in my right hand slung across my shoulder. Out of instinct I point the shotgun down and pull the trigger. I have now clue what happened to the snake but me and my brother were covered in mud!

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: RCope] #980896 10/22/09 06:35 PM
A
AcesAnEights Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Brother in law was sitting in an old ground blind. Was pitch black, could not see your hand in front of your face. He heard something breathing heavy, and could feel its breath on his face. Turned the flashlight on to find a big, black cow nose sticking in the window.....

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: AcesAnEights] #995010 10/28/09 01:36 PM
A
A.D. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: A.D.] #995797 10/28/09 06:02 PM
G
gigglez2025 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
I wasnt around for this one, but i have heard the story a few times from the guys on the lease. All the guys went out hunting one really cold morning. This one guy in particular was a pretty big dude and wearing coveralls. While he was out for the morning hunt, nature called. No big deal right. They get back to the camp house into the heat and start warming up. They all started complaining that it smelled like #$@#. As it turns out, when he went to use the restroom, he droped a turd in the coller of his coveralls and didnt realize it. haha. They never let him live it down. That had to have been hilarious, and gross. haha.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: gigglez2025] #997427 10/29/09 03:52 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: gigglez2025
I wasnt around for this one, but i have heard the story a few times from the guys on the lease. All the guys went out hunting one really cold morning. This one guy in particular was a pretty big dude and wearing coveralls. While he was out for the morning hunt, nature called. No big deal right. They get back to the camp house into the heat and start warming up. They all started complaining that it smelled like #$@#. As it turns out, when he went to use the restroom, he droped a turd in the coller of his coveralls and didnt realize it. haha. They never let him live it down. That had to have been hilarious, and gross. haha.

barf rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #997759 10/29/09 10:39 AM
U
uppidycon Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
here's one of mine:

start time: 4:30 am

i think i was around 12 at the time and my 2 cousins were 15 and 17 or so.. my cousin had just got home from boot camp.. him and i decided to go do some squirrel hunting.. we also brought his brother.. we got out to an EARLY start.. we were excited.. at the time i carried a 12 ga. single shot.. he carried a 4-10.. my other cousin went and got the squirrels.. we walked thru our normal woods, on the normal trail.. can't see our hands in front of our face.. we finally make it to the clearin' where we wanted to hangout and wait for daylight.. while walkin' down the 4 wheeler path we could hear the hogs around us and really thought nothing of it.. once we got to the clearin' we just stood there.. all 3 of us had our backs to each other.. my cousin and i had our guns pointed in front of us.. there were quite a few hogs runnin' around us.. and they were close too.. eventually daylight started to show and we were glad..

we began to hunt and eventually got a few squirrels.. well, my cousin wanted to try new areas out.. i didn't think it was right at the time, but he was the oldest and i was to do what he said.. we crossed a fence.. spent about an hour wanderin' around.. then we crossed another fence.. i tried to explain to him that wasn't the same fence.. he didn't believe me.. so we continued on.. well, it's been a long day and we were officially lost.. we finally came to a clearin' and a road.. we begin to hear some noises.. cheering and such.. we slowly walked up to what it was, we had walked thru the woods to the city park.. it was sunday and church league softball was being played.. my cousin left us in the woods and went to the pay phone and called collect to my parents.. for them, the drive was about 7 miles.. a straight shot thru the woods was a good 3 to 4 miles from my parents house to the park.. but we walked around them woods til about 2 pm.. that was a long day to only bag 5 squirrels.. lesson learned at a very young age.. don't cross fences.. ha..

we still laugh about that to this day.. and he gets maid fun of for being fresh out of army boot camp and not knowin' his bearrings in the woods..

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: uppidycon] #998218 10/29/09 03:04 PM
G
gigglez2025 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Here is another funny one that i was not around for. There were about a dozen of the guys at the lease. They would always wake up about an hour early to eat breakfast and bs. Well one night they thought i would be funny to play a prank on one of the guys. Instead of getting up at their regular time, everyone moved their clocks forward while this one guy was sleeping. They even changed his wrist watch. So when the alarm whent off and the clocks said it was 5am, it was really midnight. All of the guys got up like normal. They made coffee and cooked breakfast just like always. Then the guy went out to his stand. He ended up coming back a couple of hours later when he realized what was going on. haha.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: RandallW20] #999291 10/29/09 10:07 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
My brother and I were on a lease in Wise county years back and had an old Morton tin building about 10x12 we slept in. After a night of drinking he passed out first. When was good and passed out we screwwd his sleeping bag to the floor around his entire body. Then me and a buddy stole a goat from the farmers pasture next door and threw it in the cabin and closed the door and kept on drinking, about 4 in the moring the alarm went off and we heard David come UNGLUED, only a 2 C cell lantern in the cabin so there was not much light. The next thing we heard was the 270 going off and the door busting open with him piling out in longjohns. He shot the damn goat thinking it was a coyote in his drunken stupor. We never got the smell out until the end of season. We still talk though and have played many more pranks.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: GUTIT] #999371 10/29/09 10:46 PM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
We showed up to our west texas ranch out by pumpville (about 15 years ago) to find a mountain lion eating one of the house cats, while sitting on top of our cabin. Thats pretty much it. I could go through 1000+ rattlesnake stories but everyone knows how those go.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: RobertY] #1006476 11/02/09 02:13 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
ttt

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: KWood_TSU] #1007594 11/02/09 04:02 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Come on ya'll, these are funny, keep'um coming.

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: Stickchunker] #1010686 11/03/09 03:18 PM
A
A.D. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: A.D.] #1011324 11/03/09 07:17 PM
D
DSST_Construction Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
anymore?????

We work anything an everything masonry,we have been in this trade for over 40+ years of experience.
We fix/repair/build anything masonry

DSST Construction Services
Deputy (713) 826-4451
Office (713) 417-7167
Email k5blaser88@yahoo.com

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: Bulldawg] #1011601 11/03/09 09:00 PM
B
billybobbass Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
shot a pig 10/31 in north mason county sat. we got it cleaned by dark and went to dump the left overs down the road about a mile.we are 15 miles from any thing . or not . on sunday morning the pig was in front of my gate. my bad for dumping parts on road and i will not do this again

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: billybobbass] #1011746 11/03/09 09:57 PM
A
AbeLinkkin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Last duck season me and 4 friends where hunting a playa lake in the Lubbock area. Each of us set up under the nearby telephone poles there were next to the pond. Right about the time LST came around a lone Teal came screaming toword the pond. Apparently his eyesight was not so good that morning because he didnt see the electrical line and ran straight into it, clothes lining himself. He fell to the ground and we all looked at each other and wondered if that really just happened.

Last edited by AbeLinkkin; 11/03/09 09:58 PM.
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: Seadog] #1011752 11/03/09 09:59 PM
A
age n score Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
cyclo I was hunting a few years ago in Nebraska during black powder season. I had a old school .50 Hawkins I was using. It was snowing along the Platt river that weekend, and cold was not the word to describe what it was. But it was a good area, with timber, beans, and corn all around it. About 1 hour after good light a big midwestern buck came walking down the trail I was hunting. I waited till he was about 50 yards away to pull the trigger and let him have it. After the smoke finally cleared I waited 10 min (seemed like hours) to fetch him up out of the snow. Well I get over there and there is a big pile of blood but no trophy whitetail deer, so I started tracking, and tracking this 10 point buck. After about 400 yards I finally saw some blood in the snow and it was headed to a deep draw in heavy timber. So I put on my best stalk, then remembered I needed to reload that dang thing, and got to really moving slow through the woods. I see him laying under a big cottonwood tree about 100 yards from me with his back to me, and the wind in his face. "Well, Well" I tell myself, this could not be better for me! But, I could not get a shot from where I was standing, so I continue with the stalk. I get about 25 yards from him, and he has no idea I'm anywhere around him by this time. I get to wondering to myself, just how close can I get to this big 10 pointer? I get within 10 yards, and his head is looking around, but not in my direction, so I pull out my knife and decide to just cut this throat. I laid my gun down in the snow to move in, and grab him by his rack and raise my arm to start stabbing. Well that buck jumped up and stood there looking at me then hauled off in the other direction. Come to find out it was the wrong deer, and I found the deer I had shot 35 yards from where he was hit. banana flehan loco_too

I feed Indian Corn, the deer really seem to like it and stay at the feeder longer......and longer....!
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: billybobbass] #1011753 11/03/09 10:00 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
a few years back one of my buddies with alot of land held a squirrel hunting tourney...everybody put in 5 bucks and whoever came back at dark with the most squirrels wins the pot. Well i take out on my own and shoot a few squirrels. I shoot one out of a tall oak and it fell to the ground. I walked over and looked for it and was having a hard time finding it. I looked back up in the tree and saw a large raccoon really high up. I unloaded on it with my 20 ga. I must have shot it about 6 or 7 times. Anyway I could tell i hit it but it wouldnt ever fall. I shot every single shell i had and was too far to go get more. The coon was too high to throw a rock at so i gave up on him and started lookin for the downed squirrel. While looking i hear a crash above me and look up in time to see Mr. Coon heading right for me. I managed to get out of the way but the fall broke his back. As soon as he hit the ground he started hissing and growling at me and came after me draggin his back legs. Out of bullets I decided to use my gun as a club and managed to put him out of his misery...We cleaned to squirrels and the coon and sold em to an old man at mcdonalds...he made us show him the coon hide to prove it wasnt a mama cat with her kittens lol

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #1039216 11/16/09 06:33 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
These are good. Keep em' coming.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: RandallW20] #1095976 12/10/09 05:30 PM
A
A.D. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: mightyp] #1096084 12/10/09 06:13 PM
J
jjandcompany Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Sounds like the old caddo monster from 50S has off spring,

Scariest one was Feb 15 69+-,trinity bottoms dallas, Right at dark,end of quail season,Sheriffs car pulls down levee heads to river, I head for truck(vague shooting laws involved),
Hear bunch of shooting an hollering,So haul [censored] as deckers boys are killing bad guys and throwing them in river,,
Go to dads house tell him,he says be quiet about it as bill (sheriff) will have you to,
Any way in am tv has story bad guys lopez and guzman got drop on 3-4 constables serving warrants an shot them up some,,
Manhunt PD raided wrong house an shot them up some to,
Later both avoided death penalty,,

Last edited by jjandcompany; 12/10/09 06:16 PM.
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: cbump] #1096309 12/10/09 08:04 PM
F
fbcoach Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
got to witness a black indigo eating a rather large bull snake. The black indigo was around 6-7 foot long. Bull snake was wrapping itself around anything it could trying to gain leverage to pull itself out of the indigo's mouth. I felt like I was on national geographic.

when in doubt air it out
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: fbcoach] #1096467 12/10/09 09:23 PM
B
bjw2823 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
When I was about 10 we were on a lease in Wood County it was only about 25 min from our house. My dad and I went out to the lease one weekend before deer season started to look and see what needed to be done we were planning on going back the next weekend to do the work. We make it to his stand and it was a 4x8 stand that was about 10 feet tall. He climbs up the ladder and opens the door and looks in and he see a really big rat that had made a home there since the season before. So he closes the door and climbs back down the ladder and says we will deal with it next weekend. Well the next weekend my mom goes with us and when we get to my dads stand he tells her to go up there and make sure everything is ok and clean it up while he starts doing something else. Well she climbs the ladder and opens the door but does not look into the stand before climbing into it. She gets about half way in when she notices the rat. Thats when all Heck breaks loose. I think she only used about two rungs on the ladder to get down. Needless to say she was not very happy. This is a story that well still tell.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: Bulldawg] #1097907 12/11/09 02:01 PM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Not a hunting story, but I hope this fishing story will be ok.
I was out with a friend in his old 1950's 19' boat. we were fishing under the 1097 bridge in Lake Conroe. I think it was during the summer, but dont remember for sure. Anyway, we tie up under the bridge to keep from drifting. Around 1am, we saw some boat lights about a mile north of us. Not paying any attention to them at the time because many people fish the lake at night. About an hour later, this boat is much closer and looks like a large boat you would see in the bay or ocean. So I get out the spot light and notice that the boat is drifting our way and is not moving like it should. It looked like it was drifting broadside. So we keep an eye on it and finally it gets so close to us that we decided to pull up lines and untie from the bridge just in case. Well this very large boat drifts broadside right into the bridge between the two pilones (poles that hold the bridge up)where we we fishing, scraping and pounding the bridge very hard, breaking everything on the boat that came in contact with the bridge. It was very loud. We were the only ones out there at the time. No one was out in the boat. Even with all the commotion, no one was on the boat. We moved up along this boat and I grabbed a rope that was connected to the boat and tied it to ours and towed it away from the destruction. Once we had it moved away from the bridge, I jumped aboard the boat to see if I could find an anchor or something. About this time, I hears some movement behind me and see this guy rubbing his eyes like he just woke up. I was a little shocked because we had been yelling and blowing our horn the whole time to see if we could get someones attention. He finally asks whats going on. I tell him. And its like a no big deal to him. He told me that he and his girlfriend were anchored out in the lake and had a few drinks. He said that the boat was anchored up before they went to sleep. Rope must have came loose somehow. Maybe a little to much rockin huh? SO I jump back on our boat, waited for him to start his boat , and then turned around and went back to the truck. Nothing else was said. No thank you or anyhting. I think he was little embarrassed. Never saw the girlfriend. Just thought I would share

Last edited by fishindude; 12/11/09 02:05 PM.
Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors [Re: huntindude] #1099259 12/11/09 09:20 PM
A
absnick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I have a "friend" that for lack of a better word is an idiot. Hunting fishing and the outdoors wasn't part of his growing up but in highschool he got into it and started going and doing stuff we me and some other guys. His grandparents owned some land outside of Joaquin, Tx so we went out there and did some scouting and put up some stands. we built his in a big oak along the edge of a pasture and it was really a good spot. Opening morning of rifle season he's in his stand and I'm in mine down along a creek about 600 yards away. 30 or 40 minutes after sunup i hear him shoot, and then shoot again and again and again! So I'm wondering what in the world is he doing and decide to go see. He's never killed a deer before, doesn't know what to do with it after he shoots it and thought he'd need some help. I walked way around to the gate of the pasture so he'll have plenty of time to see me and I'm looking through my binos at his stand and he's not in it. I holler for him a few times when I get there and nothing so i climb up to get a better look. About 200 yards away I see him on his hands and knees crawling into a big pile of brush on the edge of the pasture. Looking through my binos I see he's got his pistle out and he gets in there where all I can see are his feet. Then all heck breaks loose. He starts shooting and trying to get out of there. He get's up and is running away from the brush and right behind him is one pissed off bobcat! He finally hits it on the second shot and it goes down. Turns out he'd hit in the foot, grazed it's ear and a gut shot with the rifle. Watching him come out of there with that bobcat after him was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

You can't really be lost if you don't care where you are.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide