Texas Hunting Forum

Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors

Posted By: RandallW20

Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 04:41 AM

Alright, outside of the Walking To The Blind thread. Lets here about some of your weirdest, scariest, adventurous, or just plain neat stories while hunting, fishing, and camping.

For instance:
I read on here a few years back someone found an Indian burial ground with artifacts while hunting in the mountains.

Another; my friend told me he chased some illegals out of his stand in south Texas one morning. Another time he found the remains where one died on his lease.

If you think its interesting let us here about it. up

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 08:11 AM

When I was about 13 years old, I was deer hunting in a "brush" blind on a dry creek bed. Before daylight I kept hearing something moving to my left. It kept creeping slowly closer and closer to me until it was right up beside me. I grabbed the flashlight and shined in the face of this mysterious creature and all I could see was the tusks of a javelina. I ran out one side of the stand and he turned and ran the other way. I did get a shot at him a little bit after dawn though!!!

Posted By: father of 4

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 01:53 PM

When I was a kid I would go hunting with my Dad. The deal was, if I saw a deer I would tap him on the shoulder. Well I saw a big buck and Dad shot it. We watched it run a little bit and then fall. We went over and I was the first to run up to it. Man it was a nice 8 point. About the time I squated down beside it, it started getting back up. Man I was scared to death. Dad grabbed the gun and shot it again. Funny thing is, when we cleaned it, there was only one bullet hole in it. My Dad still laughs about that to this day and says he didnt know which was going to get out of there the fastest, me or the deer lol.

Posted By: brushbuck

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 04:57 PM

Back in the late 70's in my late teens my younger brother and I were hunting some property around cedar creek lake. Early one morning we were making our way along a trail through the oak thickets on the way to our stands. It was dark and real foggy. As we walked along I could hear leaves rustling on the forest floor a short distance from us through the foggy darkness. I stopped, my brother following close behind would stop, and then the rustling leaves would stop. When we would begin walking again you'd hear the leaves begin rustling again. This stop and start scenario repeated itself several times until I was certain something was following us. My patience had worn off and I shined my flash light through the fog towards the rustling noise. That’s when all hell broke loose as this thing crashed through the leaves away from us and then stopped. We couldn’t see a thing in the quiet fog, but then the sound I’ll never forget was the blood curdling scream of a cougar. It made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. My brother and I looked at each other in total disbelief that we were being stalked by a cougar at cedar creek lake. We never heard it again and I got my brother to his stand and had more distance to cover to get to mine. That was one long lonely walk in the fog. Later we had learned that someone who could no longer care for the cats had dumped the two cougars into the area. They were scaring the hell out homeowners digging through the trash cans at night until fish and game finally trapped them. I can honestly say I know what it sounds like to hear a cougar scream in the wild.

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 06:35 PM

I once built a brush blind for bow hunting by stretching camo netting around a small group of trees. The netting was too wide, so when I lowered it to the right level, the extra netting was bunched up on the ground. I had been sitting in it for about an hour one day when I moved my foot and immediately heard the telltale buzzing of a rattlesnake. I could hear it, but it was under the bunched up netting so I couldn't see it. I stopped breathing for what felt like 2 hours (probably more like 30 seconds). The snake finally slithered out from under the netting to the front of the blind, and I shot it with my bow. Before I left the blind that day, the netting was cut about 6" above the ground.

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 08:38 PM

Nothing crazy here but I sure am enjoying reading everyone elses stories, keep em coming.

Posted By: landmark

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 09:01 PM

I went with a buddy one time on a $50 day lease doe only hunt. The owner of the ranch dropped me off waaaayy out in the boonies by a big rock over looking a spot where the deer were to come into during the evening. He drove off with my buddy and a promise to "see ya little after dark".

Well, I'm ashamed to say I went completely unprepared for an unexpected cold front that hit not long after my drop off. And, man, it got cold!

So, the sun drops without nary a deer and here I am in a short sleeve t-shirt, my gun, a knife and a flashlight. With zero cell phone service. Before I knew it, "a little after dark" turned into well after dark, pitch dark; and I'm shivering and shaking like a little girl all the while trying to preserve my flashlight while I try to walk back along the pasture road I knew he'd be driving down.

It got so cold that I finally put my arms inside my t-shirt and found a shallow hole to lay in. So, there I lay, with my arms in my shirt, night black as coal, teeth chattering when all of sudden, all at once, I was a$$ to snout close to a pig that had come into the wallering hole I was laying in!

Man, I screamed, the pig screamed, I jumped up and I'm trying like hell to get my arms out of my t-shirt while running like a crazy drunk in the dark, making funny scared as he!! noises that I don't think I could even describe, trying to get away and realized, I left my flashlight and rifle back at the hole!

After I took a minute to calm down (I was warmed up now) I used my cell phone light to get back to my gun and light and hit the trail! Making as much noise as I could!

The owner and my buddy finally, finally, met me on the road and picked me up. And, what'd they have in the truck but a freshly cleaned hog. I'm just glad they weren't hunting over the waller I was laying in.

Posted By: postoak

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 09:41 PM

Brushbuck, your post got me to wondering if there was a website with the sound of a cougar. Some googling found this neat site:

Animal sounds

Posted By: brushbuck

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Brushbuck, your post got me to wondering if there was a website with the sound of a cougar. Some googling found this neat site:

Animal sounds

Post oak,
Great site for sounds man. That cougar#3 sound gave me the wooly's again. I hope I don't have bad dreams tonight. LOL.

Posted By: Bulldawg

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/19/09 10:54 PM

Back in March and April of 80 I was going through Air Base Ground Defense School at Camp Bullis. We were doing exercises with some Army MASH units. There were a few of us country boys there. One day we sent this one kid from New York City on ahead as a scout. About a half hour later he comes running back, out of breath and tying to say something. He finally caught his breath and told us the Army has it all together, they even have armoured rats. We looked at him like he was crazy and had him describe it to us. It was an armadillo. rofl

Posted By: darrack

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 02:58 AM

i got one. i was hunting at a friends place in okl. the property was about two hundred acres and it was in the middle of nowhere.it was the first time i had been there and he put me in a stand that overlooked a hillside that had alot of cedar trees with open areas in between. he said that does went through there very frequently and that i could take one. soon after he dropped me off a a couple does walked through and i shot. i saw one doe run off and the one i shot go behind a tree. i never saw it come out so i waited about twenty min and walked over to see my kill. what i saw next scared the hell out me. there stood a man cleaning my deer. not just any man but an indian guy just there out of the blue. i tried to talked to the guy but he just looked at me like i was crazy. i didnt know what to do so i just let him have the thing and walked off hoping he didnt try to clean me next. ha i didnt even try to get back in the stand i just walked on the road unti my friend saw me and asked what the hell i was doing. when i told him what happened he laughed o hard he almost wet himself. guess he saw how scared i was. i didnt even want to go back and show him but i did and all we found was a big pile of blood and guts.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 03:57 AM

Many years ago, I had almost the exact same experience as brushbuck. My Son (about 7 at the time) and I were walking back to camp after hunting in a swamp near Fairfield. I had taken pictures of several cougar tracks in the mud but hadn't seen one yet.

I never carried a flashlight and we were just walking through the dark listening to the Geese honking that were flying through the night. When we left the swamp and got into the hardwoods, I could hear something walking in the leaves about 10 feet off to the side. We'd walk, it would walk. We'd stop, it would stop. After a couple hundred yards of this, I stopped and loaded a round into my 270. My Son asked why I was loading my gun and (not wanting to scare him) I said " Maybe we'll see a deer and I can shoot it by the moonlight".

When we came to a clearing, we walked about 30 feet out into it and I turned with my rifle up to see what came out. Nothing came out and we didn't hear anything else the rest of the way back to camp. My Son never said a word about it so I thought I'd done a good job of hiding it from him. When we got to camp, he calmly told his Mom about something following us up out of the swamp. He was more observant (and braver) than I thought!

A few years later one night, I stepped out of my little camper and came face to face (6 feet apart is "face to face") with a cougar that had come into camp and was eating the meat scraps I'd thrown out after dinner. He growled at me and I got back in my camper at warp speed.

Five or six years after that, I saw another one come up out of the swamp but it was almost dark and I didn't want to risk wounding him and walking the mile and a half back to camp in the dark (again, no flashlight). I let him walk on by and danged if he didn't turn down the only trail I had back to camp. I waited till it had been dark for an hour to give him plenty of time to get gone before I started my hike to camp! The first mile or so was pretty tense but at least I didn't have my Son with me so that was one less thing to worry about.

Until you've actually seen a cougar, you just don't grasp how big they are.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 12:22 PM

Great storys fun post. I laugh every time I think of the time my two twin sons were 12 yrs old and wanted to start bow hunting. I said fine and we built a ground blind out of brush near a stock tank . Well opening day finialy came and me and my sons headed out about hr before first light. I asked them if they could find there way and they could this was our hm. I took a friend to a oter stand and headed to mine. Just as I was headed to my stand on a trail that took me a couple 100yds from my sons all hec broke loose the boys were sceaming at the top of there lungs and sounded like trouble .Itook off running up the trail to there ground blind and a bobcat came tearingdown the trail that leads to there blind. There they stood the blind scattered in a twenty ft circle,tears running down there faces.Are you alright I asked what happened. They kept saying it tryed to get us, with quivering in there voices. Well the bobcat was walking by after they settled in there blind and they shot two arrows each one shot. They missed the cat it ran straight to the nearest cover. Right in the blind with them.The cat was just as scared as them.They hate me teling anyone about it.

Posted By: jigfish

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 04:24 PM

One day I was in a blind turkey hunting. I was using a box call. After a while I kept hearing this scratching. I decided to look out the blind. About that same time I see bobcat ears start coming over the windows. My brain went to overload. either exit hopefully in time or get a round off. I just fired and the cat got down. I looked up and here is this big hole in the top of my blind. There is not telling what would have happen if that cat got in the blind with me.

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 05:21 PM

not a terrific story right here. however, at ozona texas my father was dropping me off at a very old deer blind and let me out of the ranch truck. as i got out i started walking to the blind which sort of scared me since it was so dark in the morning and i nearly stepped on a huge jackrabbit that had no idea what to do. my dad saw it and laughed at me but dang it certainly scared the crud out of me since i have to watch for javelinas, cougars and deer on the way to the blind but all I discovered was a single dang huge jackrabbit.

Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/20/09 06:29 PM

Me and a Buddy were dove hunting out near Culleoka many years ago I tripped over something and fell face first to the ground. I looked down and saw a large 357 revolver laying on the weeds. I picked it up and started looking at the pistol, then it dawned on my I had maggots on my arms and stomach, and some type of slimey looking stuff. It was then that I looked down to see what I had fallen in, and low it and behold it was a Dead Body. It was severely decomposed and had flesh eaten of off of its face. We drove back to town and called the Sheriff and they came out and investigated. It turned out to be a man that lived near by and they ruled the death a suicide. We never could figure that out, as man has been shot from the back of his skull and had his face blown out.

Posted By: CFR

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 12:36 AM

I've had a lot of interesting things happen out in the woods over the years.

Several years ago, a friend of mine got 2 new leases in west Texas, and I ended up joining the lease. It was his first year on these leases, and we kept getting lost. The two leases were up against each other. We only had one vehicle for five hunters, so some of us would get dropped off really early and some would get picked up really late. If you were the last to be picked up, you could expect to be waiting at least an hour after dark.

One particular evening, I found this spot with a little tripod that just looked like the spot. It was the stand that was farthest from camp, which meant I'd be the last picked up. Well, it wasn't the spot that evening, as all I saw were quail, coons, and a dink six point. It gets dark and I know I'm in for a wait. An hour and a half later, I finally see lights coming my way, way out across the mesquite. They get within a half mile or so of me and then start driving away. Not only did they get lost getting to the pasture I was sitting in, but they got lost in the pasture I was in. Two hours after dark they finally stumbled on me.

All of the cat stories reminded me of a hunt in a Florida orange grove back in the early eighties. We hunted deer and hogs by sitting on the ground so we could see to shoot under the orange trees. We sat five rows into the grove, and beyond that was a barbed wire fence and then solid palmettos leading down to a swamp. I was thirteen years old at the time, and I head something slipping through the palmettos along the fence line, and then it started pacing back and forth. About that time, I heard a scream that sounded like a woman being murdered. Knowing that was a panther, and about to crap myself, I grabbed my gun and waited for Dad back at the truck!

Posted By: Stax

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: tx_basser
Me and a Buddy were dove hunting out near Culleoka many years ago I tripped over something and fell face first to the ground. I looked down and saw a large 357 revolver laying on the weeds. I picked it up and started looking at the pistol, then it dawned on my I had maggots on my arms and stomach, and some type of slimey looking stuff. It was then that I looked down to see what I had fallen in, and low it and behold it was a Dead Body. It was severely decomposed and had flesh eaten of off of its face. We drove back to town and called the Sheriff and they came out and investigated. It turned out to be a man that lived near by and they ruled the death a suicide. We never could figure that out, as man has been shot from the back of his skull and had his face blown out.

eek2

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 04:49 AM

The title of my post is ADVENTURES IN HUNTING SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA!!!

And I have 3

1. My cousin, myself and another guy are following up a wounded doe in the dark only to find the doe; I have a skinning knife and freshley dead flash ligth, the other guy who wounded the doe had a 30-06 and my cousin had a good flash light. My cousing shines the light on this dead doe laying in a dry creek bed only to have a HUGE Mountain lion pop its head out from behind the doe like a jack in the box and give out one of those blood freezeing screams they do.....the next thing I know Im standing in a dry creek bed and the guys with a rifle and flashlight run out of there leaving me in the pitch black.

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
The title of my post is ADVENTURES IN HUNTING SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA!!!

And I have 3

1. My cousin, myself and another guy are following up a wounded doe in the dark only to find the doe; I have a skinning knife and freshley dead flash ligth, the other guy who wounded the doe had a 30-06 and my cousin had a good flash light. My cousing shines the light on this dead doe laying in a dry creek bed only to have a HUGE Mountain lion pop its head out from behind the doe like a jack in the box and give out one of those blood freezeing screams they do.....the next thing I know Im standing in a dry creek bed and the guys with a rifle and flashlight run out of there leaving me in the pitch black.

bolt eek2

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 05:02 AM

Hit the submit button to soon, any way so i just pull out the skinning knife thinking at least im not bare handed and run the opposite direction following the bouncing flash light and girlish screams running faster and faster away from me and doing a face plant every 20 or so feet in the process.....How in the H*&% I didnt stab my self i dont know.

2. Bow season in Oklahoma- we are headed to my grandpas farm down a rock road 10miles from know where and 5 miles from the nearest house at 5:30am only to see a man in a short sleeve shirt making funny motions in the ditch. My buddy who is driving slows down and says "maybe he needs help" we get closer and the guys starts doing what I can only describe as a "funny dance" in the ditch "F*** THIS KEEP DRIVING" were what I said and I lean over and punch the gas with my foot.
That evening after we at we were watching T.V. only to see how a guy escaped from a mental hospital in Dallas at knife point and highjacked a car, which was found 5 miles south of where we saw this guy......He was caught 5miles north of where we saw him trying to steal another car at gun point. Then his face poped up on the TV and IT WAS THE SAME GUY!!!! from that point on even during bow season we keep handguns on us (in accordance with the law)

3. The biggest buck I have ever seen in the wild apeared before me in southern oklahoma on thanks giving morning 2005 30min after sun up. BANG my .270 rang out and the buck did the front shoulder hop like they do when their hit good. the buck pushed with his hind legs for another 20 yds then stumbeld to the tree line.
I gathers my things and was preaty happy seeing as i would get to eat turkey then cape out my buck while talking S*&# to the rest of my no hunting family. Then I hear dogs barking where the deer had entered the woods, thinking that my trophy was getting torn up i hurried up and started covering the 200yds to the tree line.
100yds from the tree line I hear 2 grown men in the most heated argument I have ever heard calling each other every 4 letter word know to man; I didnt think much of it at the time seeing as family conflict is normal especially on thanksgiving and DOUBLE so in OKLAHOMA.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 05:09 AM

Sorry it cut me off again, I am a bit long winded but here we go

I get to where the deer is and find a pool of blood, the bright red kind you like to see that indicated a good hit. then there is a blood trail of "slashes" of blood on the ground about 4" wide and 2-3' long! "I got him now" going along i think i will see him any second until I seperate a thick bush and step through only to find another pool of bright red blood. Only this time it had 2 milwaukees best beer cans laying next to it(still cold) and a drag line 50' to the road where some sorry P.O.S. okies loaded up my buck and drove off with it.

I think the deer went down at the first pool of blood then dogs jumped it up and ran it to where it fell by the road only to have the 2 argueing hillbillies load it up and take it home. Only to have them eat turkey and talk about the big buck they shot.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 06:20 AM

Good stories guys!
Funny and the dead guy one is kinda scary and disturbing, I'd be freaking out

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 12:42 PM

Nothing crazy has ever happened to me but here is one on my brother in law. He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but anyway, he borrowed a gun from me and went deer and turkey hunting. He was out at my place and said he sat in some brush against an oak tree. He was sitting there and a bobcat crept up to like 10 feet of him before he noticed it. It reared up and screamed at him and ran off. When I asked him what he was going to do if it kept coming, he replied he was going to bash its head in with the gun. I asked him since he had a gun why not just shoot it? All I got then was a dumbfounded look.

Posted By: cbump

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: darrack
i got one. i was hunting at a friends place in okl. the property was about two hundred acres and it was in the middle of nowhere.it was the first time i had been there and he put me in a stand that overlooked a hillside that had alot of cedar trees with open areas in between. he said that does went through there very frequently and that i could take one. soon after he dropped me off a a couple does walked through and i shot. i saw one doe run off and the one i shot go behind a tree. i never saw it come out so i waited about twenty min and walked over to see my kill. what i saw next scared the hell out me. there stood a man cleaning my deer. not just any man but an indian guy just there out of the blue. i tried to talked to the guy but he just looked at me like i was crazy. i didnt know what to do so i just let him have the thing and walked off hoping he didnt try to clean me next. ha i didnt even try to get back in the stand i just walked on the road unti my friend saw me and asked what the hell i was doing. when i told him what happened he laughed o hard he almost wet himself. guess he saw how scared i was. i didnt even want to go back and show him but i did and all we found was a big pile of blood and guts.

This one is great! clap

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 07:58 PM

I was hunting as a guest on a 20,000 acre ranch near Barnhart with a bunch of drunk roofers. One of them decided to take me to his super secret spot so he didn't tell anybody where we were going. There wasn't any kind of blind so I took a tar bucket to sit on and since it was late December and cold, I took my sleeping bag. If you've been out there, you know how the wind is.

After my "friend" got back to camp, he got so drunk he passed out. That evening about 3 hours after dark with all the dinner gone, somebody realized I wasn't there. They couldn't rouse my "friend" and they didn't know where I was (remember, Super Secret Spot). Their worst fear was that where ever I was, I would try to walk back to camp. You can get pretty lost on 20,000 acres.

Finally, they roused him enough that he gave some general directions. When they came upon me, it was close to midnight and I was curled up in my sleeping bag close enough to the trail to be seen (actually, my backpack was in the trail) but not so close as to get run over. I had already decided that I was spending the night in the brush but I still wasn't too happy about it.

I didn't say much about it when I got to camp and continued to hunt there for several years. My drunk "friend" was so embarrassed that he completely avoided me for 3 years. Course, by then I was over it. They all felt bad about it but still laugh about it ten years later.

Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 09:25 PM

I don't have any real good ones, and looking back on it I laugh...

Was in the summer, doing some work on a 400 acre lease in San Saba, filling feeders, putting up new blinds, etc etc.. Got finished for the day and decided to sit in a blind and try to thin out the Hog Population a little. Being that is was late afternoon (5ish) I didn't expect anything to be in or around my blind. Normally I am very cautious and open the door to the blind before climbing the stairs, just to scare anything out that might have been in there. It has always been empty every other time but this one. So, I climb the stairs, undo the latch and open the door. Sitting there in my chair is a Red Fox that had been sleeping. It jumped straight at me and went between my legs down the stairs. I fell off the stairs to the side, did the whole stunt-man roll and popped up like a boxer ready for round 2 and drew my GP100 from my hip holster. Pointed it around in every direction (you know, like they do on the scary movies, they point in every direction they hear a noise from) I must have looked totally rediculous!

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 09:34 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!!
I CAN ACTUALLY PICTURE THAT.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 10:05 PM

man thos where good

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/21/09 11:17 PM

This one did not happen to me, but it happened on a lease in Reagan county I was on to one of the guys staying in the place next door to us. The rancher had a no hunting policy around the actual camp, so it was not uncommon to come in from an evening hunt and see several does in camp.

The camp consisted of a few one room buildings with a small bathroom in each. Well, after eating some Mexican food in Big Lake earlier that evening, one of the guys had to use the restroom and wanted to spare his bunkmates the smell. He decided he would go over to the camp "club house" and use the facilities over there. It was beginning to get fairly urgent, so he ran out the door to make his way to the club house. Earlier that day, we had stacked several bags of corn on the front porch, and one of them had busted open......Well, one or more deer were on the front porch eating the corn, and in the darkness with deer running, stomping and blowing, let's just say the hunter ended up needing a shower instead of a toilet! We had a LOT of fun teasing him for the rest of the week.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/22/09 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: CFR
This one did not happen to me, but it happened on a lease in Reagan county I was on to one of the guys staying in the place next door to us. The rancher had a no hunting policy around the actual camp, so it was not uncommon to come in from an evening hunt and see several does in camp.

The camp consisted of a few one room buildings with a small bathroom in each. Well, after eating some Mexican food in Big Lake earlier that evening, one of the guys had to use the restroom and wanted to spare his bunkmates the smell. He decided he would go over to the camp "club house" and use the facilities over there. It was beginning to get fairly urgent, so he ran out the door to make his way to the club house. Earlier that day, we had stacked several bags of corn on the front porch, and one of them had busted open......Well, one or more deer were on the front porch eating the corn, and in the darkness with deer running, stomping and blowing, let's just say the hunter ended up needing a shower instead of a toilet! We had a LOT of fun teasing him for the rest of the week.

ROFLMAO!!!!
That poor dude. Thats gotta suck.....

Posted By: A.D.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 02:05 PM

ttt

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 02:32 PM

I have one not hunting related, but was in the outdoors so to speak. My wife and I went to Yellowstone N.P. one year. We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn Snow Lodges and got up early to walk down the trails to see the steam/geyser area. We were the only ones out that early in the morning and we get nearly to the end of the trail and I had a 911 bathroom moment. Luckily, there was a one stall concrete outhouse at the end so I ran to it like a man on fire. Of course it smelled like an outhouse and I left the door open for fresh air while taking care of business. I kept hearing noises behind the outhouse like someone was walking up to it and since the door was open I started to whistle to let someone know I was in there. Suddenly a nice 5X5 elk stopped by the front door looking right at me while I'm on the pot staring back in amazement. I kept thinking, man...all the damn times I've hunted elk in the woods and missed them, here comes a nice one while I'm not hunting and sitting on a toilet....how frustrating is that?!.....

Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 03:20 PM

great stories..

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 03:59 PM

I was in South Africa last October. What an amazing place! Animals everywhere... I highly recommend it! Part of our trip took us to Kruger.

Our Ranger drove us up under a tree where a leopard had drug an impala up into it to eat. The leopard had gorged himself and was just laying on a limb. I'm less than 10' from him.

We also drove up by a lion by a watering hole. He was laying there and less than 20' from us.

The coolest dudes were the cheetahs with their black stripes/spots on the inside of their eyes. Makes them look like gangsters. We saw two sitting on a tank damn and looking at something we couldn't see by the edge of the woods. The next thing you know they were off in a flash. Extremely fast! They caught a little steinbok for a snack.

We saw rhinos, elephants, hippos and on and on. Their woods make ours look very tame by comparison. Go there if you ever get the chance!

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 04:27 PM

This happened last year, I was hunting in a stand about 500 yrds away from where my dad was hunting and I heard him shoot so about ten o'clock I eased on over to his stand and he was about 150 yrds from the blind out passed his feeder looking around, I walked out there and said" did you find blood, what did you shoot?" he said, I ain't found any blood I was shooting at a big ol' doe that was running through here, so we looked around for awhile and no blood he said I must have missed, I said well it sounded like a hit to me but where's the blood? So we started walking back towards his stand and he stopped at his feeder and was looking for a minute and said Some sorry SOB shot my damn timer... then he seen corn on the ground from where it had gonne off that morning and said I know who the SOB is.... It must have got in his scope just as he squeezed the trigger, I took it off and hung it in camp, it was too funny..I even got him to pose with it. LOL

Posted By: 30 pack

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 09:01 PM

Ok--

Time for me to de-lurk and tell mine.

For what its worth-

In the early 90's we had a pond in the woods pretty close to the road about 8' deep and maybe 30 yards across. It had dried up one summer for the first time in many years and it had tons of misc. junk in the bottom that had been dumped over the years. I was in the mud lifting crap up and catching huge crawdads hiding under stuff. I then found a cast from someone's arm that was L-shaped like it would go over an elbow, hard to describe, but you would not be able to slip your arm through it with out it being cut off by a doctor. And this one was uncut!! Being young, I did not think much of it, but years later I wonder if there had been a body in the pond that had decomposed. Who knows.

And now that I think about it, we ate the damn crawdads.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 09:38 PM

Yum! lol

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee
This happened last year, I was hunting in a stand about 500 yrds away from where my dad was hunting and I heard him shoot so about ten o'clock I eased on over to his stand and he was about 150 yrds from the blind out passed his feeder looking around, I walked out there and said" did you find blood, what did you shoot?" he said, I ain't found any blood I was shooting at a big ol' doe that was running through here, so we looked around for awhile and no blood he said I must have missed, I said well it sounded like a hit to me but where's the blood? So we started walking back towards his stand and he stopped at his feeder and was looking for a minute and said Some sorry SOB shot my damn timer... then he seen corn on the ground from where it had gonne off that morning and said I know who the SOB is.... It must have got in his scope just as he squeezed the trigger, I took it off and hung it in camp, it was too funny..I even got him to pose with it. LOL

worthless

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 09:43 PM

bump

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/23/09 09:52 PM

In SW Arkansas one year on Mercer Bayou in a small cabin near a place called Eagle's Dump I was sitting all alone eating crackers, cowboy beans and drinking a beer. All you could hear was a barred owl now and then, a few bullfrogs, and the wood stove heaving.
I had been there all afternoon getting camp setup and gathering firewood, waiting on my brother and a couple of friends. But it was getting late - around 10 PM - and still no sight of them

As I was finishing off the beans, I heard a low, deep moan coming from the entrance road. It was enough of a weird sound to make you pay attention, but at the same time I thought it was my brother pulling one of his pranks. But I grabbed my shotgun anyway.

Now this cabin, and Eagle Dump, are way back in the bottoms not from from Boggy Creek where the bigfoot stories in that area originated...so part of me was thinking about that...if you know what I mean. But I had hunted there for years and never saw any sign of it and besides all that I just couldn't force myself to believe in such nonsense. But, still...

With my 12 ga in hand I stepped out of the cabin and called out into the night, telling my brother and his henchmen to come on out; that the growls ain't working, when the moan came again, this time louder and longer. I yelled again, but no answer. So I taped a maglight to the barrel and went up the pig trail of a road that was there.

Just as I got about 20 yds from the cabin I hear footsteps through dried leaves just the other side of a honeysuckle thicket. I thought: Now I got 'em! - thinking it's time to turn the table on these panksters. So I crept along the thicket, listening - crunching here - crunching there.

As soon as I rounded the end of the thicket, I lowered the shotgun a little - just enough to shine the light on the largest blackest creature I'd ever seen in the wild and it had red eyes! eek2 scared

Jostled a little (well, alot) I yelled like a mad washwoman and unwittingly shot in the air. Trying to regain my composure, I lowered the light just in time to see a big black bull loping through the woods, getting the heck outa there... bolt

If it had have been Ol Bigfoot, I imagine I'd be tumblebug fodder... crazy

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 01:17 AM

This is an awesome thread...great stories and very entertaining!

Posted By: fwhunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak

Animal sounds

Cougar#6... I heard that one night when I was hunting on the Brazos in the Palo Pinto Mts. Was trying to make my way back up the hill in the dark without a light. Normally an hour + walk at probably 1 mile up and around the hill to the top where our camp was at. Made it 100 feet from the river then heard that sound off in the canyon across from me. 15 minutes and I was at the top of the hill locking the cabin door. I think I was mabye 12 when that happened and hadn't heard that sound since, but after hearing that 20+ years later that still gives me the spooks.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 02:06 AM

Only scary thing was a hunt in Jacksboro. I was a guest on my cousins step dads lease that I hunt every year. It was about 5am on a December morning. They dropped me off about 200 yards from the blind and told me how to get there.

Flaslight went dead as soon as I turned it on, so there I was alone in the dark. It wasn't cold at all that morning. I was just wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans. When I finnsly found the blind there was not a chair there. So I snuggled down in some brush and got comfortable about 150 yards from the feeder.

I'm sitting there, and I roll over a little to get my snuff out of my back pocket. As soon as I do that I put my hand on a very large snake. Having no idea what kind it was, I freezes in fear. I felt it curl up and start rattling. I was actually just waiting for the strike to come, but it didn't.

I smashed my 30-06 down on the snake hoping that would give me time to belly roll the hell out of there. It worked, and I continued to tell the F word for about five minutes afterwards.

I stood inside the blind till daylight, then when the deer showed up that morning I sneaked back to where I was sitting, picked up my rifle, and shot a doe.

In early December rattlesnakes were always the last thing on my mind. Not anymore. I will always keep an eye out for them all during deer season.

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 02:38 AM

Holy cow the story above give me heebie cheebies!! bolt bolt shocked

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas_White_boy
Originally Posted By: Thundervee

worthless

Here ya go

Dad with his trophy

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 02:59 AM

Thundervee, that is too funny.

Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 03:02 AM

Ok here is mine from last year....and this guy called today wanting to come back.....
I have a hunting ranch in south texas under high fence with MLD permit. I had a hunter from North Texas named Clint that came to hunt a managemant deer 130"-140". This guy shows up....smells like he hasn't bathed in days. We shoot in his rifle and he's not bad...2" group.
We go to the blind and he's still stinkin by the way and just about dark a nice 10pt comes in...He gets all excited strarts shaking and expelling gas like nobody I have ever heard. He shoots at the deer and knocks a limb down about 4 feet over the top of the deer. The deer runs off and he continues to prune trees with 3 more shots. He states he must have bumped his scope. We go back to camp eat a good dinner....while he is still fogging the room I might add..I show him the shower and leave. Next morning I pick him...he still has not showered. We go out to another blind....We get into the blind and he starts lettin some gut curling gas like I have never smelt...Worse than a gut shot deer...so alittle while later another real nice mgmt deer comes in and he goes through the same fartin shakin routine and begins prunin trees again...he shoots 3 more times and looks at me and states...I dont have anymore shells....He only brought 7 shells...Needless to say he didnt get a deer and stunk as he drove out my gate.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 30 pack
Ok--

Time for me to de-lurk and tell mine.

For what its worth-

In the early 90's we had a pond in the woods pretty close to the road about 8' deep and maybe 30 yards across. It had dried up one summer for the first time in many years and it had tons of misc. junk in the bottom that had been dumped over the years. I was in the mud lifting crap up and catching huge crawdads hiding under stuff. I then found a cast from someone's arm that was L-shaped like it would go over an elbow, hard to describe, but you would not be able to slip your arm through it with out it being cut off by a doctor. And this one was uncut!! Being young, I did not think much of it, but years later I wonder if there had been a body in the pond that had decomposed. Who knows.

And now that I think about it, we ate the damn crawdads.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm. Welcome to the Forum!

Posted By: TxCase73

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/24/09 11:27 PM

This one happened to me in the fall of 2000 in Three Rivers, Texas on a high fenced property.

After arriving at the property late friday evening we sat around the campfire telling stories and having a few adult beverage. We met our guide and he went over the ground rules of the place. Our job was simple: We were there to handle the hog population, but we were also there to glass and document deer for the upcoming hunting season.

After a five o'clock wake up call and a great breakfast we loaded up for the morning hunt. After about a ten minute ride into the property the guide stopped the truck and exclaimed "who's hunting rattle snake crossing?" Being that we weren't far from camp, and being that I didn't want hunt near camp either, I kept my mouth closed. But, since I was the newbie to the trip I quickly found myself being unloaded by my buddies. As I started to get situated the guide came over to me and said that they had been seeing a lot of hogs in this area so get loaded and get ready.

After the truck drove away I found a small mesquite tree to sit next to, opened my chair, sat down and loaded the .338 win mag. After about thirty minutes I started to dose of and then all hell broke loose behind me! All I could hear were hogs squeeling and fighting and they were not playing around. I got my rear off that chair and spent the next 45 minutes on one knee with rifle in hand facing the direction in which the noise had come. ...I was scared Sh**less. As soon as the sun broke I was very relieved and a lot more comfortable sitting again.

As the morning sun began to make it's way across the S.Texas sky animals started to move everywhere; It was like the trees and ground were coming to life. I kinda figured at that point that the corn truck was making it's towards my location. As I am sitting there, I look over my right shoulder and see movement at about 300yds. I quickly roll to my left and get behind my chair to see what is coming. As I look down the road through my scope I see a very large, black, Russian bore. I watched and watched and when he finally got to about 175yds I removed my left hand from the forend of the rifle and waived at him....He stopped immediatly. I settled the crosshairs on the inside corner of his left eye...squeezed the trigger, and fire from the muzzle blast filled the scope picture. After the smoke cleared I looked down range and he was down.

As the guides pulled up one said "damn, we haven't even corned the road yet!" ...And I replied "then I guess I'll have a chance at a few more when you do then, huh?" He got a pretty good chuckle and corned the road for me. As soon as the truck made the turn up the road, about fifty pigs came out and I was ready for round two. Shot #2 found me about a 75lb pig at 100yds and when it when down I chambered #3 and found another hog that stopped just short of the tree line at about 200yds, I let it go again and the hog count was now at three for the morning. Things we going great, but they we are about to get a lot more interesting.

HUNTER TO HUNTED

As we get back to camp, we are all talking about the morning hunt and the other guide comes in with a good friend of mines cousins. The guide said that we needed to hear what one of 'em saw. As Travis told the story you could tell that he was visibly shaken. He told us that while he was sitting there he looked down the road and noticed something crossing in to some bottoms. As he looked down the road in his binocs. he saw movement in the left treeline. He focused in and was amazed to see a full grown mountain lion at about 200 yds. Before he could get his rifle up the cat was gone...and soon he was too.

After the guide picked him up and they made their way back to camp, the plan for the day was to find and kill this/these mountain lions. Seeing how I had already taken a few pigs they made the decision to put me in the same area. After they dropped me off I backed myself into a heavily fortified spanish dagger bush and began to glass.

I'll skip ahead...

About an hour before sunset, I was watching about 20 really nice, mature whitetail. As I looked down the road to the west, I start wo watch a really nice immature buck feeding in the road. He stays there feeding along the rroad for about 15-20 minutes and then starts to make his way towards the bush. As I am kinda watching out of the corner of my eye, I notice that he seems really spooked about walking in. finally he does and after about 30 seconds he comes busting out of there full speed.
Without any hesitaion I pick up my rifle and look through the scope. As I look thorugh the scope I am in pure disbelief. Right in the middle of the road is the mountain lion and he is cleaning his paws. I put the gun on him, pull the trigger. I'm thinking I got him, but when I look through the scope again he is now standing and looking around. I put the scope on him again and put it right on his sholder this time. As soon as the gun went off the second time he went straight into the air, landed hard, and ran towards the trees. All I remember from the shot was it's giant tail stretched all the way out as it made it's way to the sky.

Now, typically I will wait a little while before I go try to look for an animal, but I just couldn't sit still. I reloaded my rifle and made me way to where I thought the shot happened. When I got there I was disappointed to find no blood. Trying to replay the events that just happened I started to make my way off the road bit, but decided I had better wait for the guide and the others to get there to be safe. When they finally arrived to pick me up, I told the guide I had seen one of the lions and took two shots at it. I told him that I missed the first shot and wasn't real comfortable about the second one either. That's when one of my buddies said he had heard both shots and that the second one hit. After looking for about fifteen minutes with five guys, finally, blood. We followed it about 100yds or so and the trail started to make it's way to some really thick mesquite bottoms. After seeing how thick it was, we decided to back out and head to camp to devise some sort of plan for tracking the animal. After talking about it, we decided the safe thing to do would be to take up the search in the morning.

I probably told that story about a hundered times that night and thanks to a few stiff drinks I was able to finally get some sleep.

Morning comes and the search is on. We go right to our trail marker we had left and pick up right where we left off. We follow the trail down into the bottoms and are shocked to find a 1.5 year old 8pt pulled half way up a tree and pretty much was cleaned out of any meat. The area had the worst smell imaginable! As we get back on the trail, the head guy points out to us why you don't go looking for a wounded predator by yourself. It seems that while I was walking around looking for sign of a hit, the mountain was looking to see what had made the loud noise at the other end of the road. We followed the trail another 150-200 yards and the blood trail circled to almost fifty yards of where I was sitting. SCARRED THE HE** OUT OF ME!!! Basically, the scary part of the whole experience was while I was walking down to where I shot him, he was walking to where I shot him from. We continue to search but the blood trail starts to get too thin and all but disappears. At that point we call off the search and get ready to make the long drive home.

The thought of an animal, predator or not, being wounded and unrecoverable bothered me for weeks.

But, that evening and that evening alone taught me more about having patience while hunting... more than I could have ever imagined and I'm sure to never forget it.

Sorry for such a long read.

\m/

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/25/09 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TxCase73
This one happened to me in the fall of 2000 in Three Rivers, Texas on a high fenced property.

After arriving at the property late friday evening we sat around the campfire telling stories and having a few adult beverage. We met our guide and he went over the ground rules of the place. Our job was simple: We were there to handle the hog population, but we were also there to glass and document deer for the upcoming hunting season.

After a five o'clock wake up call and a great breakfast we loaded up for the morning hunt. After about a ten minute ride into the property the guide stopped the truck and exclaimed "who's hunting rattle snake crossing?" Being that we weren't far from camp, and being that I didn't want hunt near camp either, I kept my mouth closed. But, since I was the newbie to the trip I quickly found myself being unloaded by my buddies. As I started to get situated the guide came over to me and said that they had been seeing a lot of hogs in this area so get loaded and get ready.

After the truck drove away I found a small mesquite tree to sit next to, opened my chair, sat down and loaded the .338 win mag. After about thirty minutes I started to dose of and then all hell broke loose behind me! All I could hear were hogs squeeling and fighting and they were not playing around. I got my rear off that chair and spent the next 45 minutes on one knee with rifle in hand facing the direction in which the noise had come. ...I was scared Sh**less. As soon as the sun broke I was very relieved and a lot more comfortable sitting again.

As the morning sun began to make it's way across the S.Texas sky animals started to move everywhere; It was like the trees and ground were coming to life. I kinda figured at that point that the corn truck was making it's towards my location. As I am sitting there, I look over my right shoulder and see movement at about 300yds. I quickly roll to my left and get behind my chair to see what is coming. As I look down the road through my scope I see a very large, black, Russian bore. I watched and watched and when he finally got to about 175yds I removed my left hand from the forend of the rifle and waived at him....He stopped immediatly. I settled the crosshairs on the inside corner of his left eye...squeezed the trigger, and fire from the muzzle blast filled the scope picture. After the smoke cleared I looked down range and he was down.

As the guides pulled up one said "damn, we haven't even corned the road yet!" ...And I replied "then I guess I'll have a chance at a few more when you do then, huh?" He got a pretty good chuckle and corned the road for me. As soon as the truck made the turn up the road, about fifty pigs came out and I was ready for round two. Shot #2 found me about a 75lb pig at 100yds and when it when down I chambered #3 and found another hog that stopped just short of the tree line at about 200yds, I let it go again and the hog count was now at three for the morning. Things we going great, but they we are about to get a lot more interesting.

HUNTER TO HUNTED

As we get back to camp, we are all talking about the morning hunt and the other guide comes in with a good friend of mines cousins. The guide said that we needed to hear what one of 'em saw. As Travis told the story you could tell that he was visibly shaken. He told us that while he was sitting there he looked down the road and noticed something crossing in to some bottoms. As he looked down the road in his binocs. he saw movement in the left treeline. He focused in and was amazed to see a full grown mountain lion at about 200 yds. Before he could get his rifle up the cat was gone...and soon he was too.

After the guide picked him up and they made their way back to camp, the plan for the day was to find and kill this/these mountain lions. Seeing how I had already taken a few pigs they made the decision to put me in the same area. After they dropped me off I backed myself into a heavily fortified spanish dagger bush and began to glass.

I'll skip ahead...

About an hour before sunset, I was watching about 20 really nice, mature whitetail. As I looked down the road to the west, I start wo watch a really nice immature buck feeding in the road. He stays there feeding along the rroad for about 15-20 minutes and then starts to make his way towards the bush. As I am kinda watching out of the corner of my eye, I notice that he seems really spooked about walking in. finally he does and after about 30 seconds he comes busting out of there full speed.
Without any hesitaion I pick up my rifle and look through the scope. As I look thorugh the scope I am in pure disbelief. Right in the middle of the road is the mountain lion and he is cleaning his paws. I put the gun on him, pull the trigger. I'm thinking I got him, but when I look through the scope again he is now standing and looking around. I put the scope on him again and put it right on his sholder this time. As soon as the gun went off the second time he went straight into the air, landed hard, and ran towards the trees. All I remember from the shot was it's giant tail stretched all the way out as it made it's way to the sky.

Now, typically I will wait a little while before I go try to look for an animal, but I just couldn't sit still. I reloaded my rifle and made me way to where I thought the shot happened. When I got there I was disappointed to find no blood. Trying to replay the events that just happened I started to make my way off the road bit, but decided I had better wait for the guide and the others to get there to be safe. When they finally arrived to pick me up, I told the guide I had seen one of the lions and took two shots at it. I told him that I missed the first shot and wasn't real comfortable about the second one either. That's when one of my buddies said he had heard both shots and that the second one hit. After looking for about fifteen minutes with five guys, finally, blood. We followed it about 100yds or so and the trail started to make it's way to some really thick mesquite bottoms. After seeing how thick it was, we decided to back out and head to camp to devise some sort of plan for tracking the animal. After talking about it, we decided the safe thing to do would be to take up the search in the morning.

I probably told that story about a hundered times that night and thanks to a few stiff drinks I was able to finally get some sleep.

Morning comes and the search is on. We go right to our trail marker we had left and pick up right where we left off. We follow the trail down into the bottoms and are shocked to find a 1.5 year old 8pt pulled half way up a tree and pretty much was cleaned out of any meat. The area had the worst smell imaginable! As we get back on the trail, the head guy points out to us why you don't go looking for a wounded predator by yourself. It seems that while I was walking around looking for sign of a hit, the mountain was looking to see what had made the loud noise at the other end of the road. We followed the trail another 150-200 yards and the blood trail circled to almost fifty yards of where I was sitting. SCARRED THE HE** OUT OF ME!!! Basically, the scary part of the whole experience was while I was walking down to where I shot him, he was walking to where I shot him from. We continue to search but the blood trail starts to get too thin and all but disappears. At that point we call off the search and get ready to make the long drive home.

The thought of an animal, predator or not, being wounded and unrecoverable bothered me for weeks.

But, that evening and that evening alone taught me more about having patience while hunting... more than I could have ever imagined and I'm sure to never forget it.

Sorry for such a long read.

\m/

HOLY CRAP!! shocked

Posted By: Joe_Kidd

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/25/09 08:58 PM

Not a hunting story, not a scary story, but an unusual event. Was out doing some field work in NM. The day started with me finding a dead bull elk, had one of those wire saws with the rings on the end, so I cut off one of the antlers, started in on the other antler and my saw broke (piece of junk). So I strap the 1 antler onto my pack and head out for the day. Realized that antler had a bit of hide on it, stinky smell, but no big deal. I'm about a couple of miles from the road when lunch time rolls around, I pull off my pack, eat lunch and get comfortable, just beginning to doze off. I'm awakened by what sounds like a bunch of deer running across rocks, I roll over just in time to see a cinnamon colored black bear hauling it away from me. Couldn't put my camera into use before he was over a ridge. Seems he got of whif of that dead hide and was coming in for a snack, then must of winded me and quickly changed his mind. I could find no tracks on the way to my position, but found deep tracks from where he was running away from my position.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/26/09 03:46 AM

any more thos where great

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/26/09 04:23 AM

I was hunting in Fisher Co. one time and climbed into an abandoned tower blind. Got up there and the door on the floor slammed shut and hornets went ape shat.

I sat there for 2 hours with them crawling all over me and inside the blind and never got stung. Later I heard that they won't sting you in November, don't know how true that is, but it seemed to be the deal that day.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/28/09 12:49 AM

A few years back my nephew and I were on a week long hunt in Western Oklahoma near Eric Oklahoma. Early in the week we had to make a Wal-Mart run on the way there we see police lights on the side of the road up ahead (it was dark) as we got close we witnessed a surreal looking scene. An officer standing at the rear of his car was shooting down into the ditch bam bam bam bam bam .... Another man was running up out of the ditch off to his left with his gun out. My first thought was a gunfight with someone but that wasn't it. He was unloading into what looked to be a huge bull that was down in the ditch.

Posted By: Egore_texas_hunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/28/09 06:59 AM

great stories!! ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/28/09 09:11 PM

ttt

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/28/09 10:02 PM

Couple of years ago I killed a really big boar hog, 'bout 300 - 350 lbs, under a corn feeder. Too big and stinky to eat and I didn't want to leave him there, so I hooked a rope to him and used my truck to drag him about 300 yards away. The next day I had to walk past the spot where I left him and there was nothing there! Now normally it takes about a month before a big hog carcass is completely gone, so I was real curious. I took a closer look and you could see where the carcass had laid and where it had been dragged about 10 feet off in another direction and then nothing. There was no blood, hair, bones, nothing! It was like something had picked up the carcass and carried it away. To this day I still don't have any explanation for how that happened.

Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/28/09 10:23 PM

Not really strange, neat or scary, but probably the funniest thing that ever happened to me was one year on a lease that we had in Bandera. My brother had killed a deer one evening and we had hauled it back to camp to clean it. After we got through cleaning it, we loaded up the guts and carcass and headed out to dump it at our dump site on the lease. Of course we had had a few beers (read several) while processing this deer. The drive out to the dump on the lease was about a mile or so through the lease. The gravel road went down through a creek and the creek had a really wide flat limestone bottom where you actually had to drive in the creek for a few hundred yards before you could climb out of the other side. Well, as we got down into the creek and the truck lights swung around to shine down the length of the creek, the lights hit this huge black boar (300+). He was in the creek and he was coming right at us, unfazed by the truck. I reached under the seat and grabbed a 9mm that my father kept there and handed it to my brother and said “here, smoke his a$$”. I put the truck in reverse and tried to keep the headlights on him as he started to turn and cross to my side of the truck to get out of the creek. Well, my brother hangs out the window and when he fires the first shot, it hit the water about 5 feet to the side of the pig, then the next shot is way over it and down the creek and my brother is cussing and yelling and then the next shot I don’t even see, and I telling him “you suck, I could hit that pig with a rock from here” and I’m trying my best to keep the pig lit up with the headlights and he’s yelling and screaming at me to “stop the truck, stop the f-ing truck” and when I look over at him, he’s rolled himself up in the power window and only his head, shoulder arm and the 9mm is hanging out!!

Needless to say, that pig continued his evening jog and is probably still telling that story also about the two drunk rednecks that rolled themselves up in the truck window trying to shoot at him.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 12:57 AM

First_Chance, you made me laugh with that one. Heck, I'm still laughing.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 02:14 AM

back in 94 we found a guy that was trapping pigs on this property out near the Copper Canyon/Bartonville area of Lake Lewisville.. when it was still country. He was taking the pigs and fattening them up and selling them.

I made a deal with him to buy two of them and would pick them up in two weeks while they are fattening up. Me and a buddy drove out there to pick them up and man they sure looked good. I got my pistol out of the truck and told him I was gonna pop them behind the ear real quick before I put them in the truck and took them back home. He told me no, he did not want me to kill them on his property and said the other pigs would get upset.

I scratched my head on that one, so I figured I would hog tie each pig and let them lay in the back of the truck till I got home. We tied them up pretty good and where they were laying down in the bed of the truck. Buddy and I started cracking cold ones to celebrate and started the drive back home to Seagoville.

We kept putting down cold ones and talking about how we were gonna put the pigs on a spit and cook them for our bbq. I glanced up in my rear view mirror and what I saw next made me almost crap my pants. In my rearview mirror I saw one of the pigs trying to climb thru my damn slider on my truck. I spewed beer all of the cab and hollared at my buddy to push him about out and close it.

Well... the damn pig would not go and the harder he pushed the more the pig kept coming in. We were around Valwood Pkwy on I-35 and I had to pull over as the other pig got look and was hanging over the side of the bed like a dog enjoying the breeze.

I pulled over to the shoulder and my buddy grabbed my pistol and was gonna pop the pigs in the head to end the ordeal. I hollared... NO as I was sure somebody would see and we would wind up in jail. I opened my tool box and grabbed a ball peen hammer and was going to whack the pigs right between they eyes to stop the nonsense. I took aim and rared back and the pig right between the eyes and he dropped like a rock and layed there trying to move his legs.

The other pig decided this was not going to end well so he started scrambling around in the bed of the truck trying got get out. I was finally able to get a hold of his his head and took a quick aim and WHAM... THe damn pig moved his head at the last minute and my hammer blow struck him right in the eyeball. OMG... the squealing was unreal and scrambling of hooves like had ever seen. I went lunatic on the pig and just started wailing on the pigs head with the hammer.. Finally around the 5th or 6th blow the pig when down.

I then took out my hunting knife from the toolbox and gave both pigs a stab in the heart and ended this fiasco. My buddy in the truck was laughing the entire time watching this unfold and said people were driving by slowing down and rubber necking the entire scene.

I still laugh till I cry everytime I tell this story because it is so damn crazy.

Posted By: BIG RACK

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 02:22 AM

THAT WAS rofl

Posted By: Stoney

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 02:43 AM

I recently picked up a couple of those wooden shipping containers that were advertised here and built a couple of blinds. This Saturday night I went down to sit in one of them to see if any hogs were out. About midnight I heard a rustling to my 6 and didn't think much of it, sounded like an armadillo. A few seconds later I caught something out of the corner of my eye and suddenly there was a big black head inside my blind, dropped my beer,banged my head on the window jumping up and dang near soiled myself. Turns out one of my neighbors cows had got on my place and decided to see what was going on inside the box, lucky she ain't T bones today...lol

Posted By: father of 4

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 12:37 PM

lol craigr That is funny. Been there and done that one lol

Posted By: janie

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 01:11 PM

tx_basser, I am laughing so hard I've got tears rolling down my face! That was a great story.

Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/29/09 03:57 PM

Last Christmas eve I had a trap set out at a buddies land and had caught 2 150+ pigs. So that evening I call a guy that works for my uncle that I always give the pigs and he said he would be down Christmas afternoon. So Christmas morning "Santa" comes for my little sister and I was surprised with a 357 mag Rossi Revolver. So I'm pumped because I'm fixing to get to dispatch these pigs with my new toy. We meet the guys at the place with the trap and drive down to it. I shoot two shots at less than 3 feet and both of them fall. They load up the pigs and drive over an hour and a half to their house in Grand Prairie i believe. Later I find out that when they get home they open the tailgate and start to drag one pig out when the other one stands up! They slam the tailgate shut and one of the guys tries to cut this pigs throat but the pig keeps coming after him. So the guy that works for my uncle grabs a sledge hammer and whacks this pig 7 times before he dies. On the first hit the bullet falls off the side of this pigs head into the bed of the truck. I guess I just knocked the sucker out! boxing

I still crack up thinking about what the neighbors must have thought.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 09/30/09 12:25 PM

ttt

Posted By: Egore_texas_hunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/02/09 02:14 PM

ttt

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 03:15 AM

While hunting in extreme western Terrell County, west of Sanderson, I found a hole that was really unusual. I was was on top of a mesa, calling elk and noticed a hole covered by a flat rock nearby.

I rolled the stone aside and the hole was about the size of a five-gallon bucket. It had dirt in the bottom and the walls might have been slightly blackened. No doubt that the "cover" stone had been put in place.

I left a current dollar bill and a 444 Marlin cartridge in the bottom, rolled the stone back to the exact place it was resting in and continued my hunt.

Anybody have any idea what this might be?

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
While hunting in extreme western Terrell County, west of Sanderson, I found a hole that was really unusual. I was was on top of a mesa, calling elk and noticed a hole covered by a flat rock nearby.

I rolled the stone aside and the hole was about the size of a five-gallon bucket. It had dirt in the bottom and the walls might have been slightly blackened. No doubt that the "cover" stone had been put in place.

I left a current dollar bill and a 444 Marlin cartridge in the bottom, rolled the stone back to the exact place it was resting in and continued my hunt.

Anybody have any idea what this might be?

has to be an Indian outhouse lol

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 08:15 AM

A dried up water well. = )

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 11:18 AM

Many years ago I was working on a well up by Lake Thomas on a ranch that was covered in turkeys. The owner of the property made a deal with me if I'd shoot him a turkey I could take one also. Not long after that I had 6 gobblers cross the road about 100 yard's ahead of me, I hit the gas and was able to jump out and get one about 30 yard's out. I threw him in the floorboard of the truck and went running down the creek and eventually got another one. Thinking I now had a happy rancher to deal with I headed to the truck to clean turkey and head back to the ranch house. When I came out of the creek by the truck I noticed a strange sight, the first turkey that was now fully conscious and very irate was now standing on the drivers side. To make a long story short, there is no painless way to get a big gobbler out of the cab of your truck without some serious blood letting and screaming. That gobbler beat and cut me for about five minute’s before I finally took him out with an absolute haymaker, then it was on the ground where I finished him off with an 18-inch pipe wrench. I cleaned the birds and headed back to the ranch house. When the rancher answered the door the first words out of his mouth was “ I hope all that blood’s not yours”.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 11:18 AM

if public property could be a Geocaching spot.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: CTK3
A dried up water well. = )

No, it is on top of a mesa and not where you would could catch and water. It is only the size of a 5-gallon bucket.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:05 PM

This is very private property with a lot of indian stuff.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
When the rancher answered the door the first words out of his mouth was “ I hope all that blood’s not yours”.

That, is a good addition to this thread!

Posted By: 25-06Man

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:21 PM

This happened on an elk hunt in Co. I was with 2 friends hunting above Monte Visa we had left camp early. Just as it was breaking day mother nature called real urgent. I had climbed to top of ridge so I could see good.

I set my rifle down near me leaning on a boulder,I took off my pack, just as I unbuckled my belt to let pants down.... A HUGE BLACK BEAR stood up 5- 10 feet from me. He look twice as big as me and I'm 6'4" 280lb.

With his head back sinffing I'm thinking what to do, pants are falling I can't run, cheeks clinch tight I can't answer the nature call, so I stand there. Slowly reach for my rifle It"s farther than I thought,never taking my eyes off him finally get it in hand. Bring it slowly to shoulder as he woofs out loud several times.

I have no black bear tag, so in a low voice I tell him big boy it's your call when your feet hit ground you better turn if not it lights out tag or not. 7mm lined up between his eyes, I follow him as he lowers to ground. With a loud woof he turns and lopes off.

I suddenly remember my pants are down but for some reason I no longer had to go. I saw 4 more bears that day next morning we found another area.

Posted By: ralph

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 25-06Man
This happened on an elk hunt in Co. I was with 2 friends hunting above Monte Visa we had left camp early. Just as it was breaking day mother nature called real urgent. I had climbed to top of ridge so I could see good.

I set my rifle down near me leaning on a boulder,I took off my pack, just as I unbuckled my belt to let pants down.... A HUGE BLACK BEAR stood up 5- 10 feet from me. He look twice as big as me and I'm 6'4" 280lb.

With his head back sinffing I'm thinking what to do, pants are falling I can't run, cheeks clinch tight I can't answer the nature call, so I stand there. Slowly reach for my rifle It"s farther than I thought,never taking my eyes off him finally get it in hand. Bring it slowly to shoulder as he woofs out loud several times.

I have no black bear tag, so in a low voice I tell him big boy it's your call when your feet hit ground you better turn if not it lights out tag or not. 7mm lined up between his eyes, I follow him as he lowers to ground. With a loud woof he turns and lopes off.

I suddenly remember my pants are down but for some reason I no longer had to go. I saw 4 more bears that day next morning we found another area.

Great story. So, in the end, everything came out all right. So to speak...

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 12:53 PM

Many years ago I was working on a well up by Lake Thomas on a ranch that was covered in turkeys. The owner of the property made a deal with me if I'd shoot him a turkey I could take one also. Not long after that I had 6 gobblers cross the road about 100 yard's ahead of me, I hit the gas and was able to jump out and get one about 30 yard's out. I threw him in the floorboard of the truck and went running down the creek and eventually got another one. Thinking I now had a happy rancher to deal with I headed to the truck to clean turkey and head back to the ranch house. When I came out of the creek by the truck I noticed a strange sight, the first turkey that was now fully conscious and very irate was now standing on the drivers side. To make a long story short, there is no painless way to get a big gobbler out of the cab of your truck without some serious blood letting and screaming. That gobbler beat and cut me for about five minute’s before I finally took him out with an absolute haymaker, then it was on the ground where I finished him off with an 18-inch pipe wrench. I cleaned the birds and headed back to the ranch house. When the rancher answered the door the first words out of his mouth was “ I hope all that blood’s not yours”.

That is hilarious. Great story to start my morning. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

This is very private property with a lot of indian stuff.

Sometimes the things you come across while hunting are much more interesting and memorable than the actual taking of game.

Could it have been used for a signal fire? Or to build a fire that couldn't be seen but would keep someone warm who was watching from the mesa? Would the rock hold water? I recently read how Indians would bury water in clay jugs in the desert.

I would love to know the story behind that hole.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 04:47 PM

I've only related this incident a few times because most people don't believe it. If somebody told it to me, I might not believe it but every word is absolutely true.

I used to hunt on a place 11 miles West of Eden. On a spring Turkey hunt, I didn't want to sit around camp after lunch. So, I headed out to walk around with my Rem 1100. I got up on a ridge that was flat topped with cedars and grapefruit sized rocks. We didn't go there too much because the rocks were round and hard to walk on. As I stumbled along, a nice Gobbler ran out from under a Cedar about 50' from me. I threw the gun up and got one shot off.

He ran out into the open area with all the rocks and started running around in a circle about 20' in diameter. He just kept running in a circle like he was on a merry go round. I shot at him 2 more times while he was running around and MISSED BOTH SHOTS! This is when I realized that I had left camp with the shells in my gun and no more.

Out of ammo and able to do nothing else, I just stood about 40' from him and watched. Finally, he slowed to a walk but held the same circle. Then he started staggering around in a cirle. Now I'm getting confident that this is going to end well. Finally, he stopped and just stood there. I must have waited 20 minutes for him to fall over.

Thinking that he was re-grouping, I decided to sneak over to him (not even a blade of grass between us) and when he started to run, I'd try to catch him. What else could I do? As I slowly put the sneak on him across the open area, he ust stood there. I got to within about 15' of him and could see blood dripping out of the eye that was facing me. The famed Golden BB! So he was blind to my approach!

I finally got up to him, slowly bent down, and grabbed him by the legs. Have you ever seen a Turkey explode into a Tasmanian Devil? He's twisting and trying to fly away. My hand is caught between his twisted legs with both spurs digging into my arm. He's in full flight above my head beating me half to death with his wings, ripping holes in my arms with his spurs, and I can't get away from him! I was trying to let go of him just as hard as he was trying to get away from me.

Finally, he tired enough that I could get him on the ground and step on his head. I had to sit down and rest before I could walk back to camp. When I got back to camp, the story was easy to tell because my face was covered in scratches and my left arm was bloody to the elbow.

I wish David Blanton had been there to video that. I'd be a star of the Realtree bloopers show.

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 04:56 PM

I'd have paid money to watch that.

Posted By: tj5

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 09:21 PM

I've got two stories, but they have a common link.

First one, in the early 90s I was out coyote hunting and very new at it. So, I was up against some bolders over looking a field with my caller set out about 50 feet in front of me. As I was sitting there, you ever get the feeling something is watching you? Well, about the time that feeling came across me, I had a coyote put his paws on my shoulder. He was on top of the bolder overlooking the field looking for the sound unaware he was leaning on me. I don't know who was more scared at the moment me or the coyote. I leaped forwards to get away from him, when I leaned forwards I took him with me.

Second One, it happened to be with a coyote too, after the previous experience of sitting up in the rocks. I gave up proping myself against rocks. So, on this one I tucked myself into a bush, literally in the middle. Trying out hand call in the bush with my rifle pointed on a tri-pod out in front of me. I had a young coyote jump over the bush that I was sitting in. As I jumped backwards with my hand on the trigger, the gun went off I was so scared trying to go backwards through the bush it wouldn't let me. It turned out that when I pulled the trigger the coyote just cleared the barrel of the gun as it was landing. I ended up getting that coyote with power burns all along the yote.

Number one reason i hunt from high racks these days lol

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/04/09 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: tj5
I've got two stories, but they have a common link.

First one, in the early 90s I was out coyote hunting and very new at it. So, I was up against some bolders over looking a field with my caller set out about 50 feet in front of me. As I was sitting there, you ever get the feeling something is watching you? Well, about the time that feeling came across me, I had a coyote put his paws on my shoulder. He was on top of the bolder overlooking the field looking for the sound unaware he was leaning on me. I don't know who was more scared at the moment me or the coyote. I leaped forwards to get away from him, when I leaned forwards I took him with me.

Second One, it happened to be with a coyote too, after the previous experience of sitting up in the rocks. I gave up proping myself against rocks. So, on this one I tucked myself into a bush, literally in the middle. Trying out hand call in the bush with my rifle pointed on a tri-pod out in front of me. I had a young coyote jump over the bush that I was sitting in. As I jumped backwards with my hand on the trigger, the gun went off I was so scared trying to go backwards through the bush it wouldn't let me. It turned out that when I pulled the trigger the coyote just cleared the barrel of the gun as it was landing. I ended up getting that coyote with power burns all along the yote.

Number one reason i hunt from high racks these days lol

WOW!! You must smell a little bit like a yote or something.....lol.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/06/09 08:53 PM

ttt

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/06/09 09:58 PM

A buddy of mine and I had a small herd of Boer Goats at his grandmother's house. She called him one day and said she had a full head count the evening before she went to be, but this morning was short one. He called me to have me go over and see where the stray was. When I got there she said she could see the doe's head way out in the pasture. I told her I would go check it out and that she probably didn't want to see what was over there.

When I reached the goat carcass I immediately had one of those "something aint right" feelings. What I saw kind of worried me. There before me layed the carcass of what was an 80lb. doe laying on her right side. No big deal right? This carcass was special though. There was an intact head, a complete skeleton all the way to the pelvis, and NO guts or flesh or skin from the sholders to the pelvis anywhere in sight.

Coyotes typically fight over a carcass. The only thing I could think that could eat that much in a night is a Bobcat with kittens or a mountain lion. This was in Melissa!

Posted By: hunt-n-agg

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/06/09 11:16 PM

I have a few.

The first one is while at my uncles lease in Hood County, he tells me that there are some turkeys roosting in the trees infront of his stand and that if I want one to hunt it in the morning. Im thinking great I will have a turkey back at camp in the morning. When we head out and split at the trail he tells me to kill the lights on the wheeler and follow the road by the moonlight so not to spook any deer that may be bedded down around the feeder. Im thinking no problem I have hunted this stand several times in the evening. Well the proble is its not the most level road and has a 30 foot drop off on the left side. Lets just say the cheeks where puckered and it took a extra twenty minutes to get to the stand. I did end up with a good turkey with a 10 inch beard so it was worth it. I have done this several times since and it has gotten easier, the first time sucked though.

Next happened to a guy that was a guest hunter. After showing him his stand for the evening he said he could make his way back to the camp by himself. Well he lied. After dark we see him driving up on the ridge, not by the camp. Well we figure he will see the camp fire, but he didnt. About 20 minute later we here 3 gun shots go off in the area he was in. We all get on the wheelers and head out. We found him bunkered down under a tree. He figured if he fired three shots in the air we would find him. Guess the cell phone made no since.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/07/09 12:56 AM

I don't know if you have hogs but that's exactly the way we find anything that is in the field overnight. I killed a deer one evening and when I found it 2 mornings later, all that was left was the head, the spine, some of the skin, no front leg bones, and 1 rear leg bone. Not a spec of meat. Not a single rib bone.

Hogs get on our deer so fast that I killed a buck along a creek, gutted it, and walked down into the creek to wash my hands and knife. Less than 5 minutes go by when I climb up out of the creek and 3 hogs are on the gut pile. They had to be standing in the brush waiting for me to walk off.

Posted By: Clay Reid

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/08/09 04:53 PM

Me and a couple of buddies called up a bigfoot one night just south of Electra on Beaver creek .

Posted By: Godzilawila

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/08/09 07:48 PM

Usually when i go out for the evening hunt, i take a spot-light and i sit an extra hour or two and call in coyotes or wait for pigs. so one night, after it got too dark to hunt deer, but i could still see enough to get out of my stand and pee, i got out of my stand and started peeing on a near by tree. luckily i took my .270 with me because as my puddle was forming, i hear hissing and something moving in the bushes. i look up and see a small shadow moving toward me. i pick up my gun and shoot at it. i see it run a little way and then just stop. so after i zip back up, i went to look at it and there was a viscious...raccoon blown almost in half.

Posted By: binoguy

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/08/09 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Couple of years ago I killed a really big boar hog, 'bout 300 - 350 lbs, under a corn feeder. Too big and stinky to eat and I didn't want to leave him there, so I hooked a rope to him and used my truck to drag him about 300 yards away. The next day I had to walk past the spot where I left him and there was nothing there! Now normally it takes about a month before a big hog carcass is completely gone, so I was real curious. I took a closer look and you could see where the carcass had laid and where it had been dragged about 10 feet off in another direction and then nothing. There was no blood, hair, bones, nothing! It was like something had picked up the carcass and carried it away. To this day I still don't have any explanation for how that happened.

dude. that's creepy. you sure a relative or a neighbor didn't remove it?

binoculars harness

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/14/09 09:15 PM

one more time ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/15/09 12:49 AM

When my Nephew had just come home from Desert Storm (Marine Recon), we went hunting on our East Texas lease. Two weeks before this, I had seen a Cougar right at sundown about 400 yards from where he was up in a tree. My Dad and I got back to camp after dark. We waited. And we waited. And we waited. No Nephew. After an hour or so we went after him; figuring he had gotten lost in the woods walking back to camp (1.5 miles).

It took us another hour to walk back out cause my Dad was 80 years old. When we got near where my Nephew was supposed to be, I hollered his name. We hadn't turned on our spotlight yet because we didn't need it yet.

My Nephew hollered back (from up in the tree) for us to get away. There was something circling the tree under him and occasionally tring to climb up it. Of course he didn't have a flashlight because we were notorius for never carrying one.

I turned on my spotlight and illuminated a ferocious Armadillo rooting around the base of his tree. Talk about embarassed!! We all decided to keep that story to ourselves but he moved to South Carolina so I figure I can get away with telling it now.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/15/09 01:09 AM

he's not the first man to be scared by a dillo....them things can get really loud!

Posted By: Hunts_With_Stick

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/16/09 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: CTK3
I was hunting in Fisher Co. one time and climbed into an abandoned tower blind. Got up there and the door on the floor slammed shut and hornets went ape shat.

I sat there for 2 hours with them crawling all over me and inside the blind and never got stung. Later I heard that they won't sting you in November, don't know how true that is, but it seemed to be the deal that day.

Dude......I'm not calling you a liar so don't take this wrong but IF that's true YOU are the BADDEST mother on the planet hands down.

Posted By: mathewsdxt18

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/16/09 04:31 AM

last weekend we went to the property to do some huntin and work. well me and my buddy dalton were cleanin the hangin tree up and my dad was mowin the lawn out there "the grass was chest high and im 6'2" well he got half the yard done when i see him haullin around the side of the house screamin get the pistol get the pistol theirs a rattle snake well me and dalton started laughin cuz he always messes with us but after him cussin and screamin we knew he was for real. i grabbed the pistol and took off while dalton grabbed a shovel. i was about to squeeze off and dalton got an idea to catch it alive "i swear this boy is the next steve irwin" he reaches down and pick's the snake up.and we skinned it. but thats how i found out my dad was terrified of snakes

Posted By: Victor Six Bravo

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/19/09 06:32 PM

The "hole in the rock" looks similar to rock ovens I've seen made. Lay some wood down, start the fire inside, put a couple big rocks on them to hold up a pot or whatever, or a stick over the top for meat. The top rock is a cover to keep crap out. They've done those all over the world.

As to me......none myself yet, but two my dad relayed from his earlier hunting days. Mid 1960s ('62-63 most likely). He and my uncle go hunting up in the mid-California area for deer. They're in high school at the time. Their "chaperone" more or less was a friend of my grandpa's and a WW2 vet. The two of them are sitting around the campfire BS'ing. The old vet had a few drinks and went to sleep. Apparently being in the field asleep with a rifle at his side kicked in the flashbacks (booze didn't help) and he wakes up, hears talking and screams something about dirty Japs, contact front, etc and burns off five rounds of .30-06 in their direction as they hit the deck.

I'm pretty sure he reloaded and was looking for more targets before he fully woke up due to them yelling at him (while they both had Mausers, they weren't going to shoot him) and realized what he had done. And they made sure he didn't sleep with his rifle next to him after that.....

This is the same guy that handed them a .455 Webley and a flashlight and told them to go into a cave after a mountain lion.....

Posted By: ggunn1

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/20/09 02:21 AM

my third ex wife was a distant cousin to sasquatch!man i soon learned not to get into an argument with her or her family!

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/21/09 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Victor Six Bravo
The "hole in the rock" looks similar to rock ovens I've seen made. Lay some wood down, start the fire inside, put a couple big rocks on them to hold up a pot or whatever, or a stick over the top for meat. The top rock is a cover to keep crap out. They've done those all over the world.

As to me......none myself yet, but two my dad relayed from his earlier hunting days. Mid 1960s ('62-63 most likely). He and my uncle go hunting up in the mid-California area for deer. They're in high school at the time. Their "chaperone" more or less was a friend of my grandpa's and a WW2 vet. The two of them are sitting around the campfire BS'ing. The old vet had a few drinks and went to sleep. Apparently being in the field asleep with a rifle at his side kicked in the flashbacks (booze didn't help) and he wakes up, hears talking and screams something about dirty Japs, contact front, etc and burns off five rounds of .30-06 in their direction as they hit the deck.

I'm pretty sure he reloaded and was looking for more targets before he fully woke up due to them yelling at him (while they both had Mausers, they weren't going to shoot him) and realized what he had done. And they made sure he didn't sleep with his rifle next to him after that.....

This is the same guy that handed them a .455 Webley and a flashlight and told them to go into a cave after a mountain lion.....

LMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Posted By: mightyp

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/21/09 02:02 PM

Hog hunting in the summer in stephens county(caddo),sitting in a chair on the ground watching a feeder right at dusk. I hear a load crack and something flying through the woods off to my right heading in my direction from the feeder. Limbs are snapping and I hear something runnning through the brush, I'm thinking I spooked a deer off the feeder.It crosses the road about 25 ft behind me, its a doe with something brown and fast right on its tail, they run through the dried up pond behind me and I see them again off to my left. I get kinda spooked and head for the ladder stand to finish off the hunt. Next morning me and the wife head back down and hear movement past the feeder by the creek. I'm thinking a hog is by the creek so we head over and something runs off into the creek, I peer onto the shadows and see what looks like a bloody stump sticking up.I walk over and a doe is lying on the ground, it looks like a grenade went off, the head and neck were there with half a rib cage, bits of fur, pile of guts and bloody drag marks are everywhere. Makes for a scary walk in the dark during bow season.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/21/09 02:30 PM

One morning when I was about 15 had on one of those funny looking fuzy ear muff caps and right at about first light had an owl try and take it. Never heard him coming. Scared the crap out of me.

Another one .... many moons ago. About 2am one night on the Little River in Oklahoma doing some beaver hunting. It started to snow something heavy and animals started moving everywhere it was pretty neat. Moving along the river we heard a strange sound coming from across the river like a half grunt whoof whoof over and over and shining the light over there we see some animal eyes up in the brush on top of the far bank. It was making a sound I've never heard before or since. My bro in law says hold the light on it and he made his way down the bank and started wading across in his chest waders breaking thin ice as he went and making all kinds of noise. The animal stopped making the noise but I could still see his eyes. Broinlaw made his way up the far bank seemed to me he should be right on top of it but I could tell he was looking around. I couldn't see the eyes anymore. About that moment he starts shooting with the 22mag auto 7 or 8 shots. I guess he missed we never figured out what it was he said he saw something run it was about the size of a very big coon. He also said it smelled an odd odor.

Next day I was telling my mom about it and tried describing the sound for her she said it was a wolverine she's from Mo. she said they had alot of them around the farm up there. If it was it was way south of its normal wolverines range.

Posted By: RCope

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/21/09 11:48 PM

My brother and I were squirrel hunting in the Sabine river bottoms in Gregg county. I was carrying an old Mossberg bolt action 12 ga. We were walking through the muddy bottoms and were watching the treetops. All of the sudden I heard something on the ground and looked down and see a black snake curled up and ready to strike within 5 ft. The shotgun is in my right hand slung across my shoulder. Out of instinct I point the shotgun down and pull the trigger. I have now clue what happened to the snake but me and my brother were covered in mud!

Posted By: AcesAnEights

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/22/09 06:35 PM

Brother in law was sitting in an old ground blind. Was pitch black, could not see your hand in front of your face. He heard something breathing heavy, and could feel its breath on his face. Turned the flashlight on to find a big, black cow nose sticking in the window.....

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/28/09 01:36 PM

ttt

Posted By: gigglez2025

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/28/09 06:02 PM

I wasnt around for this one, but i have heard the story a few times from the guys on the lease. All the guys went out hunting one really cold morning. This one guy in particular was a pretty big dude and wearing coveralls. While he was out for the morning hunt, nature called. No big deal right. They get back to the camp house into the heat and start warming up. They all started complaining that it smelled like #$@#. As it turns out, when he went to use the restroom, he droped a turd in the coller of his coveralls and didnt realize it. haha. They never let him live it down. That had to have been hilarious, and gross. haha.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/29/09 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: gigglez2025
I wasnt around for this one, but i have heard the story a few times from the guys on the lease. All the guys went out hunting one really cold morning. This one guy in particular was a pretty big dude and wearing coveralls. While he was out for the morning hunt, nature called. No big deal right. They get back to the camp house into the heat and start warming up. They all started complaining that it smelled like #$@#. As it turns out, when he went to use the restroom, he droped a turd in the coller of his coveralls and didnt realize it. haha. They never let him live it down. That had to have been hilarious, and gross. haha.

barf rofl

Posted By: uppidycon

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/29/09 10:39 AM

here's one of mine:

start time: 4:30 am

i think i was around 12 at the time and my 2 cousins were 15 and 17 or so.. my cousin had just got home from boot camp.. him and i decided to go do some squirrel hunting.. we also brought his brother.. we got out to an EARLY start.. we were excited.. at the time i carried a 12 ga. single shot.. he carried a 4-10.. my other cousin went and got the squirrels.. we walked thru our normal woods, on the normal trail.. can't see our hands in front of our face.. we finally make it to the clearin' where we wanted to hangout and wait for daylight.. while walkin' down the 4 wheeler path we could hear the hogs around us and really thought nothing of it.. once we got to the clearin' we just stood there.. all 3 of us had our backs to each other.. my cousin and i had our guns pointed in front of us.. there were quite a few hogs runnin' around us.. and they were close too.. eventually daylight started to show and we were glad..

we began to hunt and eventually got a few squirrels.. well, my cousin wanted to try new areas out.. i didn't think it was right at the time, but he was the oldest and i was to do what he said.. we crossed a fence.. spent about an hour wanderin' around.. then we crossed another fence.. i tried to explain to him that wasn't the same fence.. he didn't believe me.. so we continued on.. well, it's been a long day and we were officially lost.. we finally came to a clearin' and a road.. we begin to hear some noises.. cheering and such.. we slowly walked up to what it was, we had walked thru the woods to the city park.. it was sunday and church league softball was being played.. my cousin left us in the woods and went to the pay phone and called collect to my parents.. for them, the drive was about 7 miles.. a straight shot thru the woods was a good 3 to 4 miles from my parents house to the park.. but we walked around them woods til about 2 pm.. that was a long day to only bag 5 squirrels.. lesson learned at a very young age.. don't cross fences.. ha..

we still laugh about that to this day.. and he gets maid fun of for being fresh out of army boot camp and not knowin' his bearrings in the woods..

Posted By: gigglez2025

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/29/09 03:04 PM

Here is another funny one that i was not around for. There were about a dozen of the guys at the lease. They would always wake up about an hour early to eat breakfast and bs. Well one night they thought i would be funny to play a prank on one of the guys. Instead of getting up at their regular time, everyone moved their clocks forward while this one guy was sleeping. They even changed his wrist watch. So when the alarm whent off and the clocks said it was 5am, it was really midnight. All of the guys got up like normal. They made coffee and cooked breakfast just like always. Then the guy went out to his stand. He ended up coming back a couple of hours later when he realized what was going on. haha.

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/29/09 10:07 PM

My brother and I were on a lease in Wise county years back and had an old Morton tin building about 10x12 we slept in. After a night of drinking he passed out first. When was good and passed out we screwwd his sleeping bag to the floor around his entire body. Then me and a buddy stole a goat from the farmers pasture next door and threw it in the cabin and closed the door and kept on drinking, about 4 in the moring the alarm went off and we heard David come UNGLUED, only a 2 C cell lantern in the cabin so there was not much light. The next thing we heard was the 270 going off and the door busting open with him piling out in longjohns. He shot the damn goat thinking it was a coyote in his drunken stupor. We never got the smell out until the end of season. We still talk though and have played many more pranks.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/29/09 10:46 PM

We showed up to our west texas ranch out by pumpville (about 15 years ago) to find a mountain lion eating one of the house cats, while sitting on top of our cabin. Thats pretty much it. I could go through 1000+ rattlesnake stories but everyone knows how those go.

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/02/09 02:13 AM

ttt

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/02/09 04:02 PM

Come on ya'll, these are funny, keep'um coming.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 03:18 PM

ttt

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 07:17 PM

anymore?????

Posted By: billybobbass

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 09:00 PM

shot a pig 10/31 in north mason county sat. we got it cleaned by dark and went to dump the left overs down the road about a mile.we are 15 miles from any thing . or not . on sunday morning the pig was in front of my gate. my bad for dumping parts on road and i will not do this again

Posted By: AbeLinkkin

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 09:57 PM

Last duck season me and 4 friends where hunting a playa lake in the Lubbock area. Each of us set up under the nearby telephone poles there were next to the pond. Right about the time LST came around a lone Teal came screaming toword the pond. Apparently his eyesight was not so good that morning because he didnt see the electrical line and ran straight into it, clothes lining himself. He fell to the ground and we all looked at each other and wondered if that really just happened.

Posted By: age n score

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 09:59 PM

cyclo I was hunting a few years ago in Nebraska during black powder season. I had a old school .50 Hawkins I was using. It was snowing along the Platt river that weekend, and cold was not the word to describe what it was. But it was a good area, with timber, beans, and corn all around it. About 1 hour after good light a big midwestern buck came walking down the trail I was hunting. I waited till he was about 50 yards away to pull the trigger and let him have it. After the smoke finally cleared I waited 10 min (seemed like hours) to fetch him up out of the snow. Well I get over there and there is a big pile of blood but no trophy whitetail deer, so I started tracking, and tracking this 10 point buck. After about 400 yards I finally saw some blood in the snow and it was headed to a deep draw in heavy timber. So I put on my best stalk, then remembered I needed to reload that dang thing, and got to really moving slow through the woods. I see him laying under a big cottonwood tree about 100 yards from me with his back to me, and the wind in his face. "Well, Well" I tell myself, this could not be better for me! But, I could not get a shot from where I was standing, so I continue with the stalk. I get about 25 yards from him, and he has no idea I'm anywhere around him by this time. I get to wondering to myself, just how close can I get to this big 10 pointer? I get within 10 yards, and his head is looking around, but not in my direction, so I pull out my knife and decide to just cut this throat. I laid my gun down in the snow to move in, and grab him by his rack and raise my arm to start stabbing. Well that buck jumped up and stood there looking at me then hauled off in the other direction. Come to find out it was the wrong deer, and I found the deer I had shot 35 yards from where he was hit. banana flehan loco_too

Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/03/09 10:00 PM

a few years back one of my buddies with alot of land held a squirrel hunting tourney...everybody put in 5 bucks and whoever came back at dark with the most squirrels wins the pot. Well i take out on my own and shoot a few squirrels. I shoot one out of a tall oak and it fell to the ground. I walked over and looked for it and was having a hard time finding it. I looked back up in the tree and saw a large raccoon really high up. I unloaded on it with my 20 ga. I must have shot it about 6 or 7 times. Anyway I could tell i hit it but it wouldnt ever fall. I shot every single shell i had and was too far to go get more. The coon was too high to throw a rock at so i gave up on him and started lookin for the downed squirrel. While looking i hear a crash above me and look up in time to see Mr. Coon heading right for me. I managed to get out of the way but the fall broke his back. As soon as he hit the ground he started hissing and growling at me and came after me draggin his back legs. Out of bullets I decided to use my gun as a club and managed to put him out of his misery...We cleaned to squirrels and the coon and sold em to an old man at mcdonalds...he made us show him the coon hide to prove it wasnt a mama cat with her kittens lol

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 11/16/09 06:33 AM

These are good. Keep em' coming.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/10/09 05:30 PM

ttt

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/10/09 06:13 PM

Sounds like the old caddo monster from 50S has off spring,

Scariest one was Feb 15 69+-,trinity bottoms dallas, Right at dark,end of quail season,Sheriffs car pulls down levee heads to river, I head for truck(vague shooting laws involved),
Hear bunch of shooting an hollering,So haul [censored] as deckers boys are killing bad guys and throwing them in river,,
Go to dads house tell him,he says be quiet about it as bill (sheriff) will have you to,
Any way in am tv has story bad guys lopez and guzman got drop on 3-4 constables serving warrants an shot them up some,,
Manhunt PD raided wrong house an shot them up some to,
Later both avoided death penalty,,

Posted By: fbcoach

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/10/09 08:04 PM

got to witness a black indigo eating a rather large bull snake. The black indigo was around 6-7 foot long. Bull snake was wrapping itself around anything it could trying to gain leverage to pull itself out of the indigo's mouth. I felt like I was on national geographic.

Posted By: bjw2823

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/10/09 09:23 PM

When I was about 10 we were on a lease in Wood County it was only about 25 min from our house. My dad and I went out to the lease one weekend before deer season started to look and see what needed to be done we were planning on going back the next weekend to do the work. We make it to his stand and it was a 4x8 stand that was about 10 feet tall. He climbs up the ladder and opens the door and looks in and he see a really big rat that had made a home there since the season before. So he closes the door and climbs back down the ladder and says we will deal with it next weekend. Well the next weekend my mom goes with us and when we get to my dads stand he tells her to go up there and make sure everything is ok and clean it up while he starts doing something else. Well she climbs the ladder and opens the door but does not look into the stand before climbing into it. She gets about half way in when she notices the rat. Thats when all Heck breaks loose. I think she only used about two rungs on the ladder to get down. Needless to say she was not very happy. This is a story that well still tell.

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/11/09 02:01 PM

Not a hunting story, but I hope this fishing story will be ok.
I was out with a friend in his old 1950's 19' boat. we were fishing under the 1097 bridge in Lake Conroe. I think it was during the summer, but dont remember for sure. Anyway, we tie up under the bridge to keep from drifting. Around 1am, we saw some boat lights about a mile north of us. Not paying any attention to them at the time because many people fish the lake at night. About an hour later, this boat is much closer and looks like a large boat you would see in the bay or ocean. So I get out the spot light and notice that the boat is drifting our way and is not moving like it should. It looked like it was drifting broadside. So we keep an eye on it and finally it gets so close to us that we decided to pull up lines and untie from the bridge just in case. Well this very large boat drifts broadside right into the bridge between the two pilones (poles that hold the bridge up)where we we fishing, scraping and pounding the bridge very hard, breaking everything on the boat that came in contact with the bridge. It was very loud. We were the only ones out there at the time. No one was out in the boat. Even with all the commotion, no one was on the boat. We moved up along this boat and I grabbed a rope that was connected to the boat and tied it to ours and towed it away from the destruction. Once we had it moved away from the bridge, I jumped aboard the boat to see if I could find an anchor or something. About this time, I hears some movement behind me and see this guy rubbing his eyes like he just woke up. I was a little shocked because we had been yelling and blowing our horn the whole time to see if we could get someones attention. He finally asks whats going on. I tell him. And its like a no big deal to him. He told me that he and his girlfriend were anchored out in the lake and had a few drinks. He said that the boat was anchored up before they went to sleep. Rope must have came loose somehow. Maybe a little to much rockin huh? SO I jump back on our boat, waited for him to start his boat , and then turned around and went back to the truck. Nothing else was said. No thank you or anyhting. I think he was little embarrassed. Never saw the girlfriend. Just thought I would share

Posted By: absnick

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/11/09 09:20 PM

I have a "friend" that for lack of a better word is an idiot. Hunting fishing and the outdoors wasn't part of his growing up but in highschool he got into it and started going and doing stuff we me and some other guys. His grandparents owned some land outside of Joaquin, Tx so we went out there and did some scouting and put up some stands. we built his in a big oak along the edge of a pasture and it was really a good spot. Opening morning of rifle season he's in his stand and I'm in mine down along a creek about 600 yards away. 30 or 40 minutes after sunup i hear him shoot, and then shoot again and again and again! So I'm wondering what in the world is he doing and decide to go see. He's never killed a deer before, doesn't know what to do with it after he shoots it and thought he'd need some help. I walked way around to the gate of the pasture so he'll have plenty of time to see me and I'm looking through my binos at his stand and he's not in it. I holler for him a few times when I get there and nothing so i climb up to get a better look. About 200 yards away I see him on his hands and knees crawling into a big pile of brush on the edge of the pasture. Looking through my binos I see he's got his pistle out and he gets in there where all I can see are his feet. Then all heck breaks loose. He starts shooting and trying to get out of there. He get's up and is running away from the brush and right behind him is one pissed off bobcat! He finally hits it on the second shot and it goes down. Turns out he'd hit in the foot, grazed it's ear and a gut shot with the rifle. Watching him come out of there with that bobcat after him was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/12/09 01:52 AM

I've got another squirrel story...it was a ritual that dad would take my brother(5) and I(8) out opening weekend and let us watch him shoot squirrels. Well, on this one morning, he wasn't having much luck, and finally saw one a little farther off than he normally shoots. He would always shoot them with a .22LR in their heads. well, he hits the tree rat, and it hits the ground flopping like head hit squirrels do. He gets up and stealthily walks over to pick it up. about the time he gets his hand down to it, it latches onto his hand in the webbing between the thumb and pointer finger. Well, my brother and I being so young and not fully understanding what pain my father must be in, we started giggling, then full out laughter with both of us rolling around in the leaves....he got so mad at us, he drove the 15 miles back home, dropped us off, and went back hunting...

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/12/09 03:11 AM

LMAO

Posted By: fbcoach

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/12/09 05:17 AM

funny stuff right there

Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 12/12/09 09:10 PM

good read..

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 04/23/10 06:35 PM

ttt

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 04/25/10 03:47 PM

Younger guy named mark, had a old family place near albany. We went out on invite fot the first texas spring turkey hunt First day saw a few out ouf range, One kid new to hunting found a very large rattler and had close call on strike,grabbed his pants leg,While walking down a cow trail,Pretty much ruined his day and he stayed in truck the rest of weekend. First nite we got there late. An stayed in old ramshackle 1910+- plank ranch house that was well into collapsing. Started fire in stone fire place an as fire flickered slowly down in dark, We started to doze off, Moon says to sanford "hows ol mike doing" heard he was jumped by escape over at the jack pump " ok "Hes ok bruised up some". BY who? "Oh yall saw the lights way off to the south comin in." "Thats a place for prisioners with mental problems, they get loose an wander around ranches til caught, "Yall watch around tomorrow",, Fire light flickers lower About that time moon laying by ol plank door kicks it open.and the axxhole SCREAMS an fires 3-4 shots thru dark room out the door, After hearing 15 minutes of what the escapees did to few hands an oil pumpers Its on your mind, After every one quits laughing/shaking at the newbies reaction, First thing we heard was pile of rattle snakes sounding off under the plank floor where they were getting ready for spring. Next day we shot a pile of them with 22 an flash lite thru floor boards. After that it was hard to see turkeys as everyone was staring at ground Turned out the lights glowing were abilene. And turkeys vanished, but we saw first antelope that tpw were re stocking there.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 04/25/10 05:10 PM

man i just sat here and read all 6 pages. its kinda like a movie you dont want to end. this is great stuff.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/16/10 06:16 PM

ttt

Posted By: lmd59

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/16/10 07:40 PM

“Chink-ching”.
As I waited, my mind drifted to the earliest time I had heard this unnatural sound. It was the first occasion I was permitted to go deer hunting with my father. I was twelve years old. Getting up before sunrise, eating a quick breakfast and walking deep into the woods was something I had dreamed about for a couple of years.
"Although you can't shoot at anything until sun-up, it's important to get into the woods before the deer get moving around," my Dad had explained. My father and I trudged through the foot-deep snow for about a mile. We left the trail, crossed a small creek, and climbed a steep bank near a tree that had fallen years before. My Dad cleared snow from the log and motioned for me to sit down. I watched all of my father's movements from the turn of his head to the shuffling of his feet, moving the snow away from his boots. I followed my father's lead and cleared the snow near my feet.
The woods were quieted by a heavy snowfall and windless morning. The silence was almost frightening, but fear did not come easy in the presence of my father, a man with tremendous internal and physical strength. I felt warm and safe next to him.
I was beginning to daydream when I saw three shadowy figures making their way through the snowy woods. As they got closer I noticed that two were men, one old, one young, and one was a small child. All were poorly dressed in ragged coats and trousers. I looked toward my father and then heard a terrifying "chink-ching". It was a sound I would never forget.
At first, it appeared as though the dark figures would pass without noticing us, but moments later the night wanderers caught our trail carved in the soft snow and ambled our way. "That you, Gene?" the senior Clattimore whispered.
"Yes, Dewey. Who else do you know fool enough to be out this early?" my father whispered back.
"We been chasin’ a couple that we bounced out of their beds about an hour ago” Dewey said in a hushed voice.
My father shook his head and waved. As the Clattimores walked away I could see the silhouette of hooked hands hanging from their arms and their son being dragged through the deep snow. A couple of minutes later I heard the "chink-ching" again as one of them shifted the position of his firearm while sifting through the forest.

True story - the guys had their arms blown off while trying to steal copper wiring. Had metal forearms and hooks where their hands should have been. Scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/16/10 09:17 PM

Good stuff guys....

Posted By: watchale

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/17/10 02:40 PM

Man, I burned through a few hours at work reading these stories. Sure made the day go by. Thanks for sharing.

Posted By: jbowens

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/17/10 06:54 PM

When I was in college in the panhandle a friend and I drove to Red River N.M. early fall to go camping and fishing. As we got into the mountains we stopped for gas, beer, and groceries. The talk of the locals wa about the huge bear that had been seen all around and that someone had finally shot him....As we camped the first night at a road side park we were warned by everyone to take all the bear precausions, lock up food in the lock box, don't leave trash out, etc...As we're hanging out around the fire we hear the distant boom of a high powered rifle go off somehwere in the hills. We procede to get drunk, forget to put up any kind of food and decide to go to crash out in our little 2 man pup tent. Sleeping head-to-toe, I wake up upon hearing all this thrashing around our camp. I start kicking my buddy, who was a catcher in college and a pretty big dude, trying to get him to wake up. He starts kicking me back thinking I'm messing with him. Finally armed with a flashlight and waiting for this huge bear paw to come tearing through the tent we un-zip the door ASAP ready to run in different directions and find half a dozen raccoons eating our dip, sunflower seeds, toothpaste and anyting else those little bastards can get their paws on!!!

When we had a lease around Novice a buddy and I were staying up late on the front porch drinking beer, everyone else has gone to bed. We hear the tell-tale scrambling and rummaging around under the porch of our "little buddy" the local armadillo. After way too many beers we decide to catch him. So with a spot light held by my buddy i crawl under the storage trailer that we chased him too, get a hold of his tail and pull like I'm winning the tug-of-war! I litterally thought I pulled his tail off...you know leprasy and all, but got him out from under there. Now, what are we going to do with this pissed off kicking, growling thing??? Of course we quitely (as quiet as two drunks holding a pissed off armadillo can be) open the door to the bunkhouse, shine the spotlight in one of our buddies' eyes once he opens them, shine it on the armadillo...As he is half way through saying "What the ....?" we drop the 'dillo close the door and haul [censored]!! You'd of thought there was a baroom brawl going on in there, in the darkness, from the sounds we heard!! Those guys couldn't find a light, a door, a way out!! After the cussing kicking a yelling, our little buddy finally got out and went back to his spot under the porch, where he got an extra helping of his favorite dog food...

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/18/10 10:20 PM

The Brazos river was my back yard as a kid. I went fishing alone one night, and found a great spot. Bottom of a bluff at a bend in the river where the channel got necked down by a gravel bar. Great spot for channel cats. I even stumbled upon a very sturdy plank of wood jutting out from the side of the bluff to sit on. It was about 11:30pm when I got there, so I quickly set out a few throw-lines, baited a few hooks, and went to fishing. I slayed 'em that night. Had a stringer-full of channel cats in my hand by morning. When first light hit I looked down and realized I'd been sitting on the foot end of a coffin all night. I screamed like a little girl and dropped the stringer of fish in the water. It was gone. Turns out I was at the site of a popular camp-site/crossing and there was an actual un-marked cemetery there. The river had cut so far into the bank it was exposing coffins that had been buried 6 feet deep 200 years ago. My parents got the county involved and over the next couple of years the cemetery got moved further from the water and fenced in. Now the only thing about this story nobody believes is the number of fish I caught that night.

Story #2. I have a small piece of land that has a pauper's cemetery right outside the gate. I get there to dove hunt one day and find scraps of meat and cloth all over the place. Upon investigating, the county had failed to seal a "Pauper's Bag" properly, and a possum had actually gotten to the body and pulled pieces of him out through a hole. There were pieces of this poor guy spread out over half and acre. I called the local funeral home I knew handled these burials and they came out, collected all the parts, and re-buried the poor soul. Ever since then the place has been known as "Possum Meadows."

Posted By: Cochise

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/22/10 08:59 PM

My buddy and I were out pre scouting for duck season a couple of years ago in the Angelina river bottoms (aka swamp). We ended up getting really turned around to the point we were lost. About 15 minutes after dark we stumbled into a big group of pigs. Luckily they were all very small; All I had was a pocket knife and he had a buck knife. About an hour later we finally found a highline and hit a county road. Thought we were going to be gator food.

This one happened to me two years ago, I shared it in the migratory section that morning, but it's worth sharing again.

Decided I'd hunt by myself where the Attoyac flows into Rayburn. The lake was rediculously low, but there were some pretty good spots that were really stacking up the ducks. Thinking there might be a little competition since it's public land and all, and right after the split I got there around 2:45. I'm basically on a little island with water a foot or two deep around it..I'm leaned up in some brush facing the road where I parked (over 1/2 mile away). I had thought I heard people talking when walking it, but I just figured I was imagining things. It was then that I kept seeing little green dots..at first I thought they were lights on houses far away..but then I realized they were moving. At that point I wasn't too concerned because they seemed really far away. About that time I heard someone walking off of my 6...Then it hit me, they weren't far away...they were close..Then I heard the words you'd never want to hear while out hunting alone with just a shotgun "be quiet you idiot, we've got the element of suprise, he has no idea" hissed from some East Texas/coon arse accent.

It was then that I realized those lights were either cheap IR illuminators or cheap night vision goggles I was seeing.

I figured it was time to go then. I had counted 3 lights between me and the truck and these loud guy and the talker were behind me...SO I was numbered 5-1, they have some type of night vision, and I have a gun full of #4 steel and it only holds 3 rounds. I very quickly and quietly got out of there...I'm sure they didn't like the idea of a shotgun being pointed at each and every one of them....I figure they were A. meth cookers B. pot growers C. Out hunting deer illegally

There have been some recent pot fields getting busted in the area, so it wouldn't surprise me!

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/23/10 02:58 AM

That's the reason why I always carry the XD or 1911 in the blind bag. Bird shot isn't going to do much to people.

Posted By: jigfish

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/23/10 04:01 PM

I was in a box blind turkey hunting using a call. I started hearing cratching on the site of the stand. I stuck my head out of the blind and looked down and there was a bobcat trying to climb in. I keep thinking what if he would have jumped thru the window and into the blind. That would not have been good.

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 06/23/10 04:58 PM

My friends uncle was sitting next to a log or stump while turkey hunting and was doing some calling. Next thing he knows a bobcat comes from behind the log and pounces on his head. I believe he need up with over 100 stitches in his head. Paul Harvey aired this story on "The Rest of The Story."

Re: Strange, Neat, & Scary Stories While In the Outdoors - 10/25/12 04:55 PM

I was reading the Hibbie Jibbies post and thought we could re-vamp this one. its a great read for those that haven't read it yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum