Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: KG68] #1033153 11/12/09 11:31 PM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
KG68, I'll apologize also for going off track, but i think gun safety is a real important thing and most especially where kids are involved. We each have to do what we think is right for our own situations, that's for sure. You're the only one that can say what's right for you. But please do those grandkids a favor and teach them about guns and gun safety and that they sure aren't toys to be played with. And that neither are guns bad or evil, but that they sure can cause terrible damage or death if not respected. You never know when they're liable to be over playing with a friend at someone else's house who is not so diligent as you. If they have been taught the seriousness and capability of a real gun to do devastating damage, or kill someone permanently dead, they will be a lot more likely to get the heck out of there before something bad can happen to them in the event their little friend wants to show them some really cool pistol he's found in Mom's dresser drawer or wherever.

There's every chance that you may be the only one who would teach them this stuff and considering all that goes on with the video games kids play nowdays, and what they see on TV, they need someone to teach them the true and responsible reality about guns and not just the fantasy stuff they learn playing those darn video games. FWIW, if i were in your situation, my guns would also be locked up in a safe. Only difference is I would have one or two pistols secured but handy in some quick unlocking pistol boxes where they'd be kept except when I was carrying one on me. These would definitely be loaded and rounds chambered.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: MELackey] #1033510 11/13/09 02:10 AM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I had my Remington 700 discharge on me when I flicked the safety off. My next move was going to be to unload the rifle because my ride was there and picking me up from the stand. Not only did I have the rifle pointed in a safe direction, but I also had a witness. No one would have believed me if I did not have a witness, so I'm glad I did. I already practiced good gun safety before the incident, having it forced on me by my father (hey whatever it takes, too true) and now I can sometimes be a preacher, but hey whatever it takes to stay safe around firearms. The gunsmith at Carter's Country checked the rifle and said it could have never happened, but it did. I sent the rifle to Remington, and without admitting fault, they sent me a brand new one. Stay safe guys.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1037563 11/15/09 01:49 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I'm with the posters that believe that accidental discharges are few and far between and are the result of malfunctioning firearm in need of repair. The incident in the opening post was a negligent discharge!

[Linked Image]
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Ranch Dog] #1037721 11/15/09 04:58 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I treated an ND on a live range one time when I was a Corpsman. The marines were doing squad rushes, and one of them shot himself in the leg. lol

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1037870 11/15/09 07:23 PM
M
MacD37 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger.

I never could duplicate the problem, but I later found out that Remington had a recall on some early 700's for that problem. By the time I heard about the recall, the rifle was long since traded away.

The Remington 700s are notorious for accidental discharges! At least one dearh caused by it the grown son of the woman with the REm 700. When she closed the rifle it fired the boy was a few yds away was hit in the head with a 30-06 slug.

I was up In Alaska back in 2003 with three friends hunting Moose. My firend had a brand new Rem 700, 338 Win Mag. He was warching a well worn Moose trail between one drainage to another where both had small lakes. Just after daylight Arky was standing against a tree in the shade watching the trail. A large bull came out of the far drainage and was walking accross to where Arky was standing. When the bull got to a spot that was no more than 30 yds from him, he slid the safety forward with the barrle pointed up, and off she went. Needless to say he didn't get another shot at that bull. The question I asked him was was your trigger finger inside the guard? NO! I never put my finger on the trigger till my sights are lined up on my target. In the next three days the rifle did it again. He sent the rifle back to Remington, and they sent him a brand new different rifle in the factory box through the dealer who sold him the first one. After that we heard of several of them doing the same thing. It seems they would fire when pushing the safety to fire position, and many times when the bolt was closed on a live round. I never heard of this happening before 2003, but I have heard of several law suits about them since! I've never heard of it with a Mod 70 Win, or any mauser actioned rifle.

I have a Mod 700ADL Rem 7mm mag, that was bought by my dad back in the l963, and I have never had a problem with ADs but to be safe I replaced the trigger with a Timney with a safety. I rarely use this rifle anyway, but just to be safe I did the trigger change. I also have a mint 788 , 223 rfle and have had it for many years, with no problems at all. However if I were going to buy a new Remington rifle it would be the new Mod798. It is made on an FN mauser clone action that is CRF, but I would never buy another mod 700!

................. cowboy texas

.........MacD37 >>>===(x)===> DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I have been to see the elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: devildog28] #1039205 11/16/09 06:01 AM
S
sancho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
anyone that has ever learned anything about the proper and responsible handling of weapons knows that you do not chamber a round inside the house and neither do you have a round chambered crossing a fence or climbing a stand. There are more, and those are only a couple. I would never hunt around this guy. I was a stupid kid once of about 16 and did every single thing wrong that my Dad and others had taught me not to do and shot myself in the left calf with a .38 revolver. There is not one single thing that can happen to you accidentally with a gun that we have all not been warned about and/or taught not to do. A grown man chambering a round inside the house is inexcusable and a person that would either not be on my lease next year or I would be on his. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: helomech] #1039207 11/16/09 06:07 AM
S
sancho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Quote:
So why is a handgun different? Why do you feel comfortable with a handgun loaded in the house but not a rifle? I don't see a difference, both are deadly, and both are safe in safe hands. Regardless whether it is a long gun or a pistol. My kids have been around my guns since they understood the word no, and could get around. I have beat into them never to point a gun at something that you don't want dead, and they are good about it. I just don't understand how someone could see it as okay to load a pistol in the house, but not a rifle. It makes no sense to me, neither is more prone to failure than the other.

I can at least see if someone would never have a loaded pistol around not wanting a loaded rifle around, but to accept one and not the other makes no sense to me.

I will on this one that i feel that a loaded pistol in a household is far different from a hunter coming in and out and in and out and loading and unloading his rifle. A home-protection pistol is just that. It sits in one spot and no one fools with it. Deer hunting is quite a bit different if you're the kind of person that chambers his gun inside the house. It begs for trouble.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1039288 11/16/09 12:43 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've seen 2 AD's and 1 NG.

The 2 AD's both involved Remington 700's. The first one went off when he was in the blind and had the barrel out the window. The second went off as he was unloading his rifle back at the truck, that one took out the torque converter and the right front tire. The NG was a Springfield that a gentleman brought into the gun shop loaded. When he held it barrel up and set it on the table it put a hole in the roof, a fine trigger job on that one. Both of the Rem's were sent back and repaired at the factory, this was just before the recall.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: sancho] #1039498 11/16/09 03:05 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: sancho

Quote:
So why is a handgun different? Why do you feel comfortable with a handgun loaded in the house but not a rifle? I don't see a difference, both are deadly, and both are safe in safe hands. Regardless whether it is a long gun or a pistol. My kids have been around my guns since they understood the word no, and could get around. I have beat into them never to point a gun at something that you don't want dead, and they are good about it. I just don't understand how someone could see it as okay to load a pistol in the house, but not a rifle. It makes no sense to me, neither is more prone to failure than the other.

I can at least see if someone would never have a loaded pistol around not wanting a loaded rifle around, but to accept one and not the other makes no sense to me.

I will on this one that i feel that a loaded pistol in a household is far different from a hunter coming in and out and in and out and loading and unloading his rifle. A home-protection pistol is just that. It sits in one spot and no one fools with it. Deer hunting is quite a bit different if you're the kind of person that chambers his gun inside the house. It begs for trouble.

That makes no sense. Both operate exactly the same way. Your statement is illogical, at best. How can you rationalize a loaded pistol okay, but a loaded rifle not okay? I say they are both okay if you are in your own house, or own cabin. Just takes someone with sense, I realize many people don't have any, but still doesn't change the FACT that neither is more likely than the other to go off.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: TreeBass] #1041265 11/17/09 02:27 AM
B
Bats21 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
one of our camp rules is No loaded guns in camp it stops this misfortunate accidents

525,600 minutes in a year don't waste one
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1043677 11/17/09 10:42 PM
D
DCS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have had two Remingtons go off. One was my wife's Model Seven. All she did was to take the safety off and it fired! She swore up and down she didn't have her finger on the trigger.

I told her she must have had her finger on the trigger without realizing it. Then, it happened to me with my Model 700. I had just shot a deer, when I climbed down from my blind, I pulled the bolt back to eject the spent round and when I pushed the bolt forward, it fired. My fingers were no where near the trigger.

Also, knew one guy that shot a deer with his Remington while his gun was still on safe.

Did a little research after that and found this. Please read.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aacbsnewsrem700.htm

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: helomech] #1043766 11/17/09 11:08 PM
F
flushem_crushem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: helomech
I disagree, an gun going off without pulling the trigger is an accidental discharge. The shooter did nothing wrong, and could not have prevented it. Now where the muzzle is pointed when it happens could be avoided. Now if the trigger was pulled then I agree it is negligent.

I have to disagree. The shooter did something wrong when he chambered the bullet in the house around other hunters. He would have been gone from my camp as soon as it happened! JMO!

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: flushem_crushem] #1043778 11/17/09 11:12 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: flushem_crushem
I disagree, an gun going off without pulling the trigger is an accidental discharge. The shooter did nothing wrong, and could not have prevented it. Now where the muzzle is pointed when it happens could be avoided. Now if the trigger was pulled then I agree it is negligent.

I have to disagree. The shooter did something wrong when he chambered the bullet in the house around other hunters. He would have been gone from my camp as soon as it happened! JMO!

Like I said if that is the camp rules fine, I would have no problem adhering to that rule. But in my house I chamber a round all the time.

Also like I said before do you have a loaded pistol in your home? If so than why is that okay?

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: helomech] #1043825 11/17/09 11:28 PM
F
flushem_crushem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Like I said if that is the camp rules fine, I would have no problem adhering to that rule. But in my house I chamber a round all the time.

Also like I said before do you have a loaded pistol in your home? If so than why is that okay?

I have a pistol with a full clip in it, but not one in the chamber. It is also locked up in my gun safe. I have no reason to have a loaded rifle in my house because there will hopefully be nothing in my house that i will need to use a rifle on. And for that matter hopefully nothing i will have to use my pistol on either. This was the way my father taught me to keep my weapons in the house. I am not here to tell you or any other person how to secure your weapons in your house. This is just the way I do it, and the way my kids will learn to do it.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: flushem_crushem] #1043869 11/17/09 11:41 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

I have a pistol with a full clip in it, but not one in the chamber. It is also locked up in my gun safe. I have no reason to have a loaded rifle in my house because there will hopefully be nothing in my house that i will need to use a rifle on. And for that matter hopefully nothing i will have to use my pistol on either. This was the way my father taught me to keep my weapons in the house. I am not here to tell you or any other person how to secure your weapons in your house. This is just the way I do it, and the way my kids will learn to do it.

Well I have a loaded pistol with me almost all the time, so I just see no difference in a rifle being loaded. Other than the issues with the remingtons it is very rare for a rifle or a pistol to go off by itself. If someone wants to load their gun in my house as long as I trust them and the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction I have no issues with it.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: helomech] #1045187 11/18/09 02:27 PM
A
azcoyote Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
If someone on your lease ignores basic firearms saftey. Get rid of him. I won't hunt with unsafe people!! I still carry 70 lead bb's in my body as a reminder!!!! mad

"It'a a sad man my freind who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" Bruce Springsteen
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: azcoyote] #1045582 11/18/09 04:43 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Great points, still contend the failure of the firearm is VERY VERY RARE... even with trigger mods, if it fires without pulling the trigger, it's still a human error.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1045801 11/18/09 06:23 PM
A
azcoyote Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
If a bolt action fires when you close the bolt, it is probably because someone "tried" to do a trigger job and lighten the trigger pull. Too many people think they know what they are doing and don't. That is what gunsmiths are for!!

"It'a a sad man my freind who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" Bruce Springsteen
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: azcoyote] #1046555 11/18/09 10:44 PM
R
rtapp Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
If it is an older Remington there was a recall on them years back for the same reason. we had a guy on our lease with one, took the safty off to shoot a deer andit went off. This is a known problem for years.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1046590 11/18/09 11:02 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: CRAM
Sat morning before the morning hunt one of the guys I hunt with had an A.D. About 5:15 in the morning, we have been telling this fool for years to be careful with his rifle and where he points it and loads it. He loaded his rifle in the house as If a ten point was gonna walk out of the bathroom, and chambered a round and pulled the trigger for whatever reason. He claims that he just put the bolt in and the gun went off....I called bs right away cause there is no way that could happen. The bullet ended up going out the back of the house and nobody was hurt thank god. Keep in mind this is the same guy that makes fun of me for checking the safety on my rifle every fifteen mins. I talked to him the other day and he said he learned a valuable lesson, never to load the his rifle in the house again..... Just thought I share my story, make sure yall stay safe or don't hunt with an idiot like we do...
the only reason im responding and quoting you is the fact that you called bs on him pulling trigger....i dont agree with loading a gun until im in the stand or where i hunt, but it could have been exactly that, i had a rifle that i bought a couple of years ago at a gunshow... had lots of lint by the trigger and guard.. well when i got it hope i racked the bolt.. without a shell and took the safty off and heard click... did this a couple of times cause it just kinda gave the shivers thinking what would have happen if i had a shell in it... turns out the trigger was full of gunk and lint and all kinds of crap that wouldnt let it go fully foward so it kinda just rested on the safty until you put it to fire and then it fired itself...but glad no one was hurt.. and yes i used to hunt with a fool like the one your talking about... just pisses you off doesnt it..

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: rtapp] #1046601 11/18/09 11:09 PM
T
tferg51 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I have a Rem. 700 ADL 30-06 (10 years old) and my gun went off opening day when I took the safety off. Knocked me back about 2 feet. I take he safety off with my thumb and trigger finger so it does not make any noise so my finger was not close to the trigger. Had a nice buck in my sites when it happened. Scared the crap out of me. Caught alot of grief back at camp. I could not get it to do it again. Has the factory trigger pull. I did not know that this has happened to so many Rem.700's.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: TreeBass] #1046617 11/18/09 11:14 PM
T
tapout Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
That is no doubt if he can't follow thwe camp rules and gun saftey he would be on the first bus out of there

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tapout] #1046649 11/18/09 11:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
One of the nice things about the encore... kind of hard for it to go off when loading now de-cocking it is another story.

Every where I hunt.. When Inside the bolt must be out of your rifle or open.... No rounds in mag either

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tapout] #1046723 11/18/09 11:54 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Absolutely, Positively, Never has been, or Never will be any such thing as an accidental discharge. Negligent Discharge is the only option. Either you are negligent in your handling, in the functioning of your weapon, or of the safety rules.

Loading a gun in the house can be as safe or dangerous this applys to loading it in the stand just the same.

Until each person can accept this as his own and full responsibility accident will continue to happen.

Accidental discharge puts the blame on something else, rather than where it belongs.........YOU

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: SingleShot85] #1046733 11/19/09 12:00 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: doctaylor
Absolutely, Positively, Never has been, or Never will be any such thing as an accidental discharge. Negligent Discharge is the only option. Either you are negligent in your handling, in the functioning of your weapon, or of the safety rules.

Loading a gun in the house can be as safe or dangerous this applys to loading it in the stand just the same.

Until each person can accept this as his own and full responsibility accident will continue to happen.

Accidental discharge puts the blame on something else, rather than where it belongs.........YOU

so all those rem 700 that were messin up and firing when the bolt was closed... yep total disregard for hunting safety.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide