Texas Hunting Forum

Sat. Morning accidential discharge

Posted By: CRAM

Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:05 PM

Sat morning before the morning hunt one of the guys I hunt with had an A.D. About 5:15 in the morning, we have been telling this fool for years to be careful with his rifle and where he points it and loads it. He loaded his rifle in the house as If a ten point was gonna walk out of the bathroom, and chambered a round and pulled the trigger for whatever reason. He claims that he just put the bolt in and the gun went off....I called bs right away cause there is no way that could happen. The bullet ended up going out the back of the house and nobody was hurt thank god. Keep in mind this is the same guy that makes fun of me for checking the safety on my rifle every fifteen mins. I talked to him the other day and he said he learned a valuable lesson, never to load the his rifle in the house again..... Just thought I share my story, make sure yall stay safe or don't hunt with an idiot like we do...

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:13 PM

I have personally seen a rifle fire when the bolt was closed and the guys finger was no where near the trigger; that said its just another reason to load your rifle in the stand.

I know guys that ride around with a loaded rifle bouncing on the seat next to them, and I know a couple of guys who have shot through their transmission in that very same way.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:13 PM

Sorry there is NO accidental discharges, just as you discribed. Glad no one was hurt.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:17 PM

Obviously not an accident because he chose to load in an unsafe manner and location. I had a rifle that was discharging when closing the bolt but with gun safety it was discovered in the stand

Posted By: tattooedtexan

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:18 PM

The gun could have went off when he put the bolt in and chambered the round. A guy on my lease had performed his own trigger job the week before the season started and his rifle went off when he chambered his rifle in his stand. The gun would fire everytime the bolt would close. A friend of mine, took the trigger and fixed it back safely.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:22 PM

The rifle was a Winchester model 70 that he had no business fooling with. I do know that many accidents have happened with Model 700 Remingtons because of the same reason.

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:24 PM

Don't know what make and model gun he has, but I personally witnessed a friend's Remington 788 discharge by itself years ago with nothing around the trigger. Best education I ever got.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:28 PM

It very well could of happened, but his story kept changing so that's how we know he touched the dang trigger

Posted By: Grizz

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:30 PM

If the story is changing, probably a wandering trigger finger. It's usually not difficult to tell the truth more than once.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:33 PM

loading in the house? Idiot. Want to load up the magazine, fine, but there is no good reason to chamber the round until you are in the stand (unless you see one when walking to the stand.)

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:34 PM

Another example of those 1000+ things that can happen when you're holding a loaded firearm and you're NOT in your stand.

Just wait until you're in your stand to load the chamber, and empty the chamber before you leave.

Sounds simple but it will eliminate MOST shooting accidents.

Posted By: redog

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:54 PM

This dude would have been removed from the lease weather it was the gun or not!!!!.........Sorry dont bring back lives.......
zero tolerance!!!!!....Your gone!!!!

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/11/09 11:56 PM

I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger.

I never could duplicate the problem, but I later found out that Remington had a recall on some early 700's for that problem. By the time I heard about the recall, the rifle was long since traded away.

Posted By: Tbar

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger.

I never could duplicate the problem, but I later found out that Remington had a recall on some early 700's for that problem. By the time I heard about the recall, the rifle was long since traded away.

I retired my grand dads old Winchester 97 when it started doing that........scared the crap out of me!!!

Tbar

Posted By: helomech

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 12:41 AM

I don't see why a hunting rifle is any different than a pistol. Do all of you unload your pistol when go in your house? My pistol is loaded 24/7, and my hunting rifle is loaded the second I walk out my house, I have loaded it in the house before, but that is rare. I do unload when using a climbing stand, but other type stands I don't. Just be careful when loading and unloading other than that leave it on safety till ready to fire. Cops, and military keep their guns loaded. Do yall consider that unsafe as well?

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 12:47 AM

I do think it is unsafe to climb into any type of stand with a round chambered. My magazine is always loaded on my rifle, but I load it and push the round down into the magazine while I close the bolt. When I get into my stand, I then chamber the rifle.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: tattooedtexan
I do think it is unsafe to climb into any type of stand with a round chambered. My magazine is always loaded on my rifle, but I load it and push the round down into the magazine while I close the bolt. When I get into my stand, I then chamber the rifle.

That's my practice as well. I keep shells in the rifle clip, but I keep them separate until I reach the woods. I'll insert the clip before leaving the truck or ATV, but leave the chamber empty. Only after I'm in my stand do I chamber a round.

Then I complete everything in reverse and at the same times when I leave to go back to camp.

Posted By: rtp

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 01:46 AM

Had an AD myself about 10 or 11 years ago. It was opening morning, I got in the stand and after getting everything arranged, I took my remington 700 and loaded it. As I closed the bolt it discharged and made a hole in the top of the roof. I think I suffered hearing lose and scared the hell out of myself. I promise no finger near the trigger. It has a Jewell trigger in it and it was set way too light. I am just glad I always wait to get in the stand to load my rifle or it could have been really ugly. I am a fanatic about gun safety. I am the guy that is always checking his safety when in the field and I agree with whoever said that guy would be long gone off my lease or I would. Sorry dont bring anybody back. Sorry you had to experience that.

Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 01:52 AM

Great post! Thank you for sharing the incident. I experienced a guy shoot a round through a door of my friend's truck. Somehow while driving to the hunting spot the gun discharged. Fortunately no one was hurt. Having a loading gun while not in the position to properly use can have devastating consequences. My acceptation is a personnel defense weapon that is properly handled or stored. Safety can not be over stressed.

You mentioned that you were telling this guy for years to be careful. I am assuming you had some doubts about his gun safety. If this is the case, it sometimes is only a matter of time before something will occur. Maybe its time for him to go.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring

That's my practice as well. I keep shells in the rifle clip, but I keep them separate until I reach the woods. I'll insert the clip before leaving the truck or ATV, but leave the chamber empty. Only after I'm in my stand do I chamber a round.

Then I complete everything in reverse and at the same times when I leave to go back to camp.

I also do just as yall, I have always felt comforable doing so. But in reality there in lies the problem. When we become comfortable doing things we sometimes have the tendency to think we already went through the motion. And thats when a mistake happens. Just two weeks ago I was at the range shooting my 7mag and my daughter inlaws 270. All my shooting life I never leave two bxs of rounds of differant cal on the bench at the same time. But this time I did. I always feed the rifle one round at a time. THis time I reached over and grabed a 270 round and fired it threw my 7mag. After a trip to harris methodist to have them remove the metal from my rt eye I am very grateful too still have my site. My point is when we think we have a safe procdure that we are sure we follow every time. We still need to double ck . Theres no rm for error with firearms. I ck my safty and Ick it again and again . I never leave two bxs of diff cal on bench. But I did. I didnt know that til my son walked into the er and said Dad I know what you did wrong. I said yes I took my safty glasses off right before I shot. Which is another thing I would have said I never do. He said no and held up the blown up caseing of the 270.

Posted By: Stax

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 02:13 AM

He would have to go....JMO

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: bassackwards dav
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring

I also do just as yall, I have always felt comforable doing so. But in reality there in lies the problem. When we become comfortable doing things we sometimes have the tendency to think we already went through the motion. And thats when a mistake happens. Just two weeks ago I was at the range shooting my 7mag and my daughter inlaws 270. All my shooting life I never leave two bxs of rounds of differant cal on the bench at the same time. But this time I did. I always feed the rifle one round at a time. THis time I reached over and grabed a 270 round and fired it threw my 7mag. After a trip to harris methodist to have them remove the metal from my rt eye I am very grateful too still have my site. My point is when we think we have a safe procdure that we are sure we follow every time. We still need to double ck . Theres no rm for error with firearms. I ck my safty and Ick it again and again . I never leave two bxs of diff cal on bench. But I did. I didnt know that til my son walked into the er and said Dad I know what you did wrong. I said yes I took my safty glasses off right before I shot. Which is another thing I would have said I never do. He said no and held up the blown up caseing of the 270.

This exact accident happened to a very good friend of mine. Luckily it only blew the magazine out of the bottom of the gun, but he was very upset with himself and grateful that he didn't hurt himself or someone else.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Sorry there is NO accidental discharges, just as you discribed. Glad no one was hurt.
only NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES huh DG?

Posted By: KG68

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 03:29 AM

No excuse for this. I have been around these fools a few times but never a second time. You don't need these type in camp. Yes there are problems that happen with guns but camp is not the place to check if everything is working as it should be. I had a pump shotgun one time that didn't fire when I pulled the trigger but if you wiggled the pump a little it blasted whatever you were pointing at. Another time I had a hunting partner with a 7 mag bolt that didn't fire when he pulled the trigger but wiggle the bolt and it exploded. These are not things that hunters need to check at camp.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: 1FowlHntR
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
only NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES huh DG?

yes sir. Think about it, what causes an accident? Not following safe procedures? Being complacent?

I agree, there are no accidental discharges. This guy got lucky nobody was injured.

I for one normally don't even chamber a round until I see a shooter, but thats just me.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 03:54 AM

I don't trust safety features on guns anyway, which is why I leave the bolt up when sitting in the stand. The extra noise is worth the added safety, IMO.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:01 AM

I disagree, an gun going off without pulling the trigger is an accidental discharge. The shooter did nothing wrong, and could not have prevented it. Now where the muzzle is pointed when it happens could be avoided. Now if the trigger was pulled then I agree it is negligent.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:03 AM

Yea the guy is one of my best friends, but it scared the crap out of me and the other guy...I still can't believe it happened. I know he meant no harm but there was still no reason for him to chamber a round in the house..I just thank god he didn't hurt himself or anybody else, I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson this past weekend

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:03 AM

Great reminder.

There are no firearms accidents, just failures.....on the handlers part.

Ask anyone, I am a firearms safety Nazi, even to the point of pissing people off, but that's just plain stupid.

There are safe and proper ways of handling a rifle, and that ain't it.

Don't let me sound timid, my Sig P226 is chambered 24/7/365... but that's the way we train, and train, and train...

Hunting rifles are not loaded until stationary...and safe...

I hate seeing a group of cops standing together at the security entrance side by side unholstering or holstering handguns from lock boxes.... back up, one at a time...

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:06 AM

ive also seen a gun go off when the bolt closed. it can happen.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: helomech
I disagree, an gun going off without pulling the trigger is an accidental discharge. The shooter did nothing wrong, and could not have prevented it. Now where the muzzle is pointed when it happens could be avoided. Now if the trigger was pulled then I agree it is negligent.

Most hunting accidents are accidental discharge. It really doesn't matter if some one did something wrong.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: KG68

Most hunting accidents are accidental discharge. It really doesn't matter if some one did something wrong.

I was responding to the negligence part. You must not have read all the other posts. When a gun goes off by itself that is not someone being unsafe. It is a failure of the gun and not negligence on the shooter, unless the shooter had it pointed at someone or something he did not want to shoot.

It matters in court, if someone did something wrong.

Lots of my guns are loaded all the time, IMO they are useless unless they are loaded. But they are always on safe and pointed in a safe direction. I see no difference than carrying a loaded pistol and carrying a loaded hunting rifle. When I walk to my stand my gun is loaded, never know when you will need it.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:36 AM

A buddy in the last varmint hunt in Abilene had a 220 swift go off in the floor board and blew out the tire. They got to find out how much fun it was jacking a truck up in a plowed field.

He was one of those know-it-all types, now none of us will hunt with him. That mistake was him, nothing wrong with the gun. He was always bragging about how light the trigger was, he found out just how light it was that night. A 50gr bullet clocking 3900 fps at the muzzle is no joke.

Posted By: ffread

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:44 AM

If he has had a trigger job done it is likely that could have happened by why load the gun when your in the house

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ffread
If he has had a trigger job done it is likely that could have happened by why load the gun when your in the house

Because I am hunting the second I open the door. Heck I have shot a hog out the back door.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 05:38 AM

ya helo, we use to shoot crows out of my uncles bathroom window lol, and killed many a pigs off of several back porches.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 01:40 PM

I was responding to the negligence part. You must not have read all the other posts. When a gun goes off by itself that is not someone being unsafe. It is a failure of the gun and not negligence on the shooter, unless the shooter had it pointed at someone or something he did not want to shoot.

Lots of my guns are loaded all the time, IMO they are useless unless they are loaded. But they are always on safe and pointed in a safe direction. I see no difference than carrying a loaded pistol and carrying a loaded hunting rifle. When I walk to my stand my gun is loaded, never know when you will need it.

Yep read them all and fully understand what you said. Chambering a shell before you leave camp is unnecessary and dangerous to everybody around you. Sorry but I've seen to many close calls in my sixty years.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 03:45 PM

Yep read them all and fully understand what you said. Chambering a shell before you leave camp is unnecessary and dangerous to everybody around you. Sorry but I've seen to many close calls in my sixty years.

I did read them all. I see nothing wrong with loading a gun in my house. Now in someone else's house or hunting camp if they don't want it I would not do it. But loading a firearm that is in good condition is not a dangerous thing.

Not sure why you felt you had to mention your age? I know how to handle a weapon. I handle multiple guns most of the day every day, and almost all are loaded. Never had one issue. Safety and loading a gun are two separate issue's. Man the way some of you act my house is going to be filled with bullet holes when all these loaded guns start going off all by themselves.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:51 PM

His negligence was the fact that he had a live round in his rifle in the house. I have guns all over my house with rounds in them, but none are in the chamber. In my 26 years of hunting I've never seen anything inside the house that was a "shooter". That is why I say there was negligence on his part.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 04:53 PM

Because I am hunting the second I open the door. Heck I have shot a hog out the back door.
only man I know that can get drunk in the hot tub and hunt at the same time....

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 06:00 PM

I had a rem 700 accidentally discharge when I pushed it off safe without my finger on the trigger.

I wasn't in the house though.

Posted By: fgdn

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redog
This dude would have been removed from the lease weather it was the gun or not!!!!.........Sorry dont bring back lives.......
zero tolerance!!!!!....Your gone!!!!

right on. bottom line is you will never get a chance to do it over. and if he's been doing it for some time now. well who else is at fault.
make no mistake it is not a game. there can only be one set of rules, and anybody that doesn't play by those rules is out.
and me personally would by no means hunt with such a person, and if not corrected probably don't need this person as a friend.
ya ya, (accidental discharge) WHAT THE HELL IS THAT.
that is what their lawyer is telling the judge while your parents set in the back of the court house and cry.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 06:12 PM

LMAO, that is hog hunting.

So no one on here has a gun in their house with a round in the chamber?

Dang, had no clue so many had only unloaded guns in their house.

Like I said before if I am on a lease and the rules of the lease say no loaded firearms in camp, and I accepted those rules. Than no problem, but at my house, some of my guns are LOADED at all times. Heck my pistol is only unloaded when I am reloading or cleaning it.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 06:33 PM

My kids are grown but I have 8 grand-kids from 4 months to 9 years. My guns are inside a locked gun safe. And yes some have shells in the magazine but not in the chamber. I would have to be a fool to leave guns in my home whether they were fully loaded or not unless they are locked up securely.

Posted By: AcesAnEights

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 06:43 PM

Part of the ritual of climbing in the stand, loading the weapon. Before leaving the stand, again another ritual, unload.

Posted By: DeerT

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 07:54 PM

"I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger."

AND

"I had a rem 700 accidentally discharge when I pushed it off safe without my finger on the trigger."

I have had both of these instances happen to me...I own one of these Remi 30-06's! That gun scares the CRAP out of me! The gun sits in the safe now because of the recall. I just haven't sent it in because I have to pay for everything. Remi won't even pay for shipping or for repairs and because I didn't find out about the recall by their deadline I even have to pay for the repair...B.S. unless I have been misinformed. I'm sure I'll get it done if I ever have kids but for now....not gonna!

Posted By: Jon

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 08:31 PM

I've read all the posts to this point, and just want to emphasize a few things that a few others have touched on. Please understand, this is absolutely not intended to be a dig or putdown towards anyone on here.

Several comments on safeties, double checking to make sure safety is engaged, etc. I do this too and truthfully very often. BUT, we all need to remember that a safety is a mechanical device, and mechanical devices can and do fail. We should never trust the safety to the extent of violating the #1 rule of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times. The reason for that rule is pretty obvious - hard to accidentally kill someone when the muzzle is kept pointed somewhere safe. Even if we all know and practice this, it still bears repeating I think.

I do my best to train myself and my kids that even when the chamber is empty to keep the muzzle in a safe direction. I pound it into their heads to assume that where ever that muzzle is pointing is subject to get shot and unloaded or otherwise to not point it anywhere they wouldn't be willing for a bullet to go if for some quirky reason the gun were to go off.

I often have to explain my answer to the question "that gun's not loaded is it"? My answer is always You bet it is! Point being that people hardly ever accidentally get killed with one that was handled as if it had a live round in the chamber and was treated as if it was quite ready to fire. For defensive weapons, mine truely are always loaded and I do my best to educate anyone who might be around them or a hunting rifle or a shotgun (which those of mine are only actually loaded when hunting) to treat them with the thought that they are loaded and ready to fire.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating leaving loaded guns where untrained children can access them. For my own, I started when they were still in diapers by teaching them that (a) guns are not toys, and (b) showing them graphically on various inanimate objects what kind of damage they were capable of doing. I did allow mine to safely handle them, and showed them how they worked (not shoot them yet) at a very young age to remove the curiosity factor that is usually associated with a forbidden item. I really wanted them to know what guns were capable of doing and to understand the difference between guns and toys.

It is not really all that uncommon as the previous posts indicate, to hear of a rifle going off when the bolt is closed on a live round. Especially after someone who thought they were qualified to work on triggers had done their magic on one. Or, discharging on moving the safety. Mechanical things can fail and malfunction and eventually given a large enough sample size, those failures will show up. It's always a helluva surprise and commotion, but if that muzzle is pointed safe, tragedies will be avoided. I've had direct experience with this at a real young age when not practicing safe muzzle direction. Only pure luck or God's intervention that kept someone from being killed. It sure did make one heck of an impression on me though.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 08:38 PM

Like I said before if I am on a lease and the rules of the lease say no loaded firearms in camp, and I accepted those rules. Than no problem, but at my house, some of my guns are LOADED at all times. Heck my pistol is only unloaded when I am reloading or cleaning it.

my handgun is always chambered. everything else has an empty chamber.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A

my handgun is always chambered. everything else has an empty chamber.

So why is a handgun different? Why do you feel comfortable with a handgun loaded in the house but not a rifle? I don't see a difference, both are deadly, and both are safe in safe hands. Regardless whether it is a long gun or a pistol. My kids have been around my guns since they understood the word no, and could get around. I have beat into them never to point a gun at something that you don't want dead, and they are good about it. I just don't understand how someone could see it as okay to load a pistol in the house, but not a rifle. It makes no sense to me, neither is more prone to failure than the other.

I can at least see if someone would never have a loaded pistol around not wanting a loaded rifle around, but to accept one and not the other makes no sense to me.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 10:00 PM

I apologize for getting off subject some and I won't argue your point about rifle versus handgun. I think we all have legitimate reasoning for safety with guns. Obviously we all live in different areas and have different concerns with our being able to defend ourselves and our families against those that would harm us. In my current situation I have to go with what is least dangerous for my large number of grandkids. There was a period when I felt a need to be able to protect myself and family and kept a gun at hand. Today I would rather harm come to myself than to put my grandkids in a position that they could cause harm to themselves.

Posted By: Jon

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/12/09 11:31 PM

KG68, I'll apologize also for going off track, but i think gun safety is a real important thing and most especially where kids are involved. We each have to do what we think is right for our own situations, that's for sure. You're the only one that can say what's right for you. But please do those grandkids a favor and teach them about guns and gun safety and that they sure aren't toys to be played with. And that neither are guns bad or evil, but that they sure can cause terrible damage or death if not respected. You never know when they're liable to be over playing with a friend at someone else's house who is not so diligent as you. If they have been taught the seriousness and capability of a real gun to do devastating damage, or kill someone permanently dead, they will be a lot more likely to get the heck out of there before something bad can happen to them in the event their little friend wants to show them some really cool pistol he's found in Mom's dresser drawer or wherever.

There's every chance that you may be the only one who would teach them this stuff and considering all that goes on with the video games kids play nowdays, and what they see on TV, they need someone to teach them the true and responsible reality about guns and not just the fantasy stuff they learn playing those darn video games. FWIW, if i were in your situation, my guns would also be locked up in a safe. Only difference is I would have one or two pistols secured but handy in some quick unlocking pistol boxes where they'd be kept except when I was carrying one on me. These would definitely be loaded and rounds chambered.

Posted By: Gacman

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/13/09 02:10 AM

I had my Remington 700 discharge on me when I flicked the safety off. My next move was going to be to unload the rifle because my ride was there and picking me up from the stand. Not only did I have the rifle pointed in a safe direction, but I also had a witness. No one would have believed me if I did not have a witness, so I'm glad I did. I already practiced good gun safety before the incident, having it forced on me by my father (hey whatever it takes, too true) and now I can sometimes be a preacher, but hey whatever it takes to stay safe around firearms. The gunsmith at Carter's Country checked the rifle and said it could have never happened, but it did. I sent the rifle to Remington, and without admitting fault, they sent me a brand new one. Stay safe guys.

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/15/09 01:49 PM

I'm with the posters that believe that accidental discharges are few and far between and are the result of malfunctioning firearm in need of repair. The incident in the opening post was a negligent discharge!

Posted By: cbump

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/15/09 04:58 PM

I treated an ND on a live range one time when I was a Corpsman. The marines were doing squad rushes, and one of them shot himself in the leg. lol

Posted By: MacD37

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/15/09 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die

The Remington 700s are notorious for accidental discharges! At least one dearh caused by it the grown son of the woman with the REm 700. When she closed the rifle it fired the boy was a few yds away was hit in the head with a 30-06 slug.

I was up In Alaska back in 2003 with three friends hunting Moose. My firend had a brand new Rem 700, 338 Win Mag. He was warching a well worn Moose trail between one drainage to another where both had small lakes. Just after daylight Arky was standing against a tree in the shade watching the trail. A large bull came out of the far drainage and was walking accross to where Arky was standing. When the bull got to a spot that was no more than 30 yds from him, he slid the safety forward with the barrle pointed up, and off she went. Needless to say he didn't get another shot at that bull. The question I asked him was was your trigger finger inside the guard? NO! I never put my finger on the trigger till my sights are lined up on my target. In the next three days the rifle did it again. He sent the rifle back to Remington, and they sent him a brand new different rifle in the factory box through the dealer who sold him the first one. After that we heard of several of them doing the same thing. It seems they would fire when pushing the safety to fire position, and many times when the bolt was closed on a live round. I never heard of this happening before 2003, but I have heard of several law suits about them since! I've never heard of it with a Mod 70 Win, or any mauser actioned rifle.

I have a Mod 700ADL Rem 7mm mag, that was bought by my dad back in the l963, and I have never had a problem with ADs but to be safe I replaced the trigger with a Timney with a safety. I rarely use this rifle anyway, but just to be safe I did the trigger change. I also have a mint 788 , 223 rfle and have had it for many years, with no problems at all. However if I were going to buy a new Remington rifle it would be the new Mod798. It is made on an FN mauser clone action that is CRF, but I would never buy another mod 700!

................. cowboy texas

Posted By: sancho

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/16/09 06:01 AM

anyone that has ever learned anything about the proper and responsible handling of weapons knows that you do not chamber a round inside the house and neither do you have a round chambered crossing a fence or climbing a stand. There are more, and those are only a couple. I would never hunt around this guy. I was a stupid kid once of about 16 and did every single thing wrong that my Dad and others had taught me not to do and shot myself in the left calf with a .38 revolver. There is not one single thing that can happen to you accidentally with a gun that we have all not been warned about and/or taught not to do. A grown man chambering a round inside the house is inexcusable and a person that would either not be on my lease next year or I would be on his. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Posted By: sancho

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/16/09 06:07 AM

Quote:
So why is a handgun different? Why do you feel comfortable with a handgun loaded in the house but not a rifle? I don't see a difference, both are deadly, and both are safe in safe hands. Regardless whether it is a long gun or a pistol. My kids have been around my guns since they understood the word no, and could get around. I have beat into them never to point a gun at something that you don't want dead, and they are good about it. I just don't understand how someone could see it as okay to load a pistol in the house, but not a rifle. It makes no sense to me, neither is more prone to failure than the other.

I can at least see if someone would never have a loaded pistol around not wanting a loaded rifle around, but to accept one and not the other makes no sense to me.

I will on this one that i feel that a loaded pistol in a household is far different from a hunter coming in and out and in and out and loading and unloading his rifle. A home-protection pistol is just that. It sits in one spot and no one fools with it. Deer hunting is quite a bit different if you're the kind of person that chambers his gun inside the house. It begs for trouble.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/16/09 12:43 PM

I've seen 2 AD's and 1 NG.

The 2 AD's both involved Remington 700's. The first one went off when he was in the blind and had the barrel out the window. The second went off as he was unloading his rifle back at the truck, that one took out the torque converter and the right front tire. The NG was a Springfield that a gentleman brought into the gun shop loaded. When he held it barrel up and set it on the table it put a hole in the roof, a fine trigger job on that one. Both of the Rem's were sent back and repaired at the factory, this was just before the recall.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/16/09 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: sancho

Quote:

I will on this one that i feel that a loaded pistol in a household is far different from a hunter coming in and out and in and out and loading and unloading his rifle. A home-protection pistol is just that. It sits in one spot and no one fools with it. Deer hunting is quite a bit different if you're the kind of person that chambers his gun inside the house. It begs for trouble.

That makes no sense. Both operate exactly the same way. Your statement is illogical, at best. How can you rationalize a loaded pistol okay, but a loaded rifle not okay? I say they are both okay if you are in your own house, or own cabin. Just takes someone with sense, I realize many people don't have any, but still doesn't change the FACT that neither is more likely than the other to go off.

Posted By: Bats21

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 02:27 AM

one of our camp rules is No loaded guns in camp it stops this misfortunate accidents

Posted By: DCS

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 10:42 PM

I have had two Remingtons go off. One was my wife's Model Seven. All she did was to take the safety off and it fired! She swore up and down she didn't have her finger on the trigger.

I told her she must have had her finger on the trigger without realizing it. Then, it happened to me with my Model 700. I had just shot a deer, when I climbed down from my blind, I pulled the bolt back to eject the spent round and when I pushed the bolt forward, it fired. My fingers were no where near the trigger.

Also, knew one guy that shot a deer with his Remington while his gun was still on safe.

Did a little research after that and found this. Please read.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aacbsnewsrem700.htm

Posted By: flushem_crushem

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 11:08 PM

I have to disagree. The shooter did something wrong when he chambered the bullet in the house around other hunters. He would have been gone from my camp as soon as it happened! JMO!

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: flushem_crushem

I have to disagree. The shooter did something wrong when he chambered the bullet in the house around other hunters. He would have been gone from my camp as soon as it happened! JMO!

Like I said if that is the camp rules fine, I would have no problem adhering to that rule. But in my house I chamber a round all the time.

Also like I said before do you have a loaded pistol in your home? If so than why is that okay?

Posted By: flushem_crushem

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 11:28 PM

Like I said if that is the camp rules fine, I would have no problem adhering to that rule. But in my house I chamber a round all the time.

Also like I said before do you have a loaded pistol in your home? If so than why is that okay?

I have a pistol with a full clip in it, but not one in the chamber. It is also locked up in my gun safe. I have no reason to have a loaded rifle in my house because there will hopefully be nothing in my house that i will need to use a rifle on. And for that matter hopefully nothing i will have to use my pistol on either. This was the way my father taught me to keep my weapons in the house. I am not here to tell you or any other person how to secure your weapons in your house. This is just the way I do it, and the way my kids will learn to do it.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/17/09 11:41 PM

I have a pistol with a full clip in it, but not one in the chamber. It is also locked up in my gun safe. I have no reason to have a loaded rifle in my house because there will hopefully be nothing in my house that i will need to use a rifle on. And for that matter hopefully nothing i will have to use my pistol on either. This was the way my father taught me to keep my weapons in the house. I am not here to tell you or any other person how to secure your weapons in your house. This is just the way I do it, and the way my kids will learn to do it.

Well I have a loaded pistol with me almost all the time, so I just see no difference in a rifle being loaded. Other than the issues with the remingtons it is very rare for a rifle or a pistol to go off by itself. If someone wants to load their gun in my house as long as I trust them and the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction I have no issues with it.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 02:27 PM

If someone on your lease ignores basic firearms saftey. Get rid of him. I won't hunt with unsafe people!! I still carry 70 lead bb's in my body as a reminder!!!! mad

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 04:43 PM

Great points, still contend the failure of the firearm is VERY VERY RARE... even with trigger mods, if it fires without pulling the trigger, it's still a human error.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 06:23 PM

If a bolt action fires when you close the bolt, it is probably because someone "tried" to do a trigger job and lighten the trigger pull. Too many people think they know what they are doing and don't. That is what gunsmiths are for!!

Posted By: rtapp

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 10:44 PM

If it is an older Remington there was a recall on them years back for the same reason. we had a guy on our lease with one, took the safty off to shoot a deer andit went off. This is a known problem for years.

Posted By: texasd

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CRAM
Sat morning before the morning hunt one of the guys I hunt with had an A.D. About 5:15 in the morning, we have been telling this fool for years to be careful with his rifle and where he points it and loads it. He loaded his rifle in the house as If a ten point was gonna walk out of the bathroom, and chambered a round and pulled the trigger for whatever reason. He claims that he just put the bolt in and the gun went off....I called bs right away cause there is no way that could happen. The bullet ended up going out the back of the house and nobody was hurt thank god. Keep in mind this is the same guy that makes fun of me for checking the safety on my rifle every fifteen mins. I talked to him the other day and he said he learned a valuable lesson, never to load the his rifle in the house again..... Just thought I share my story, make sure yall stay safe or don't hunt with an idiot like we do...
the only reason im responding and quoting you is the fact that you called bs on him pulling trigger....i dont agree with loading a gun until im in the stand or where i hunt, but it could have been exactly that, i had a rifle that i bought a couple of years ago at a gunshow... had lots of lint by the trigger and guard.. well when i got it hope i racked the bolt.. without a shell and took the safty off and heard click... did this a couple of times cause it just kinda gave the shivers thinking what would have happen if i had a shell in it... turns out the trigger was full of gunk and lint and all kinds of crap that wouldnt let it go fully foward so it kinda just rested on the safty until you put it to fire and then it fired itself...but glad no one was hurt.. and yes i used to hunt with a fool like the one your talking about... just pisses you off doesnt it..

Posted By: tferg51

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 11:09 PM

I have a Rem. 700 ADL 30-06 (10 years old) and my gun went off opening day when I took the safety off. Knocked me back about 2 feet. I take he safety off with my thumb and trigger finger so it does not make any noise so my finger was not close to the trigger. Had a nice buck in my sites when it happened. Scared the crap out of me. Caught alot of grief back at camp. I could not get it to do it again. Has the factory trigger pull. I did not know that this has happened to so many Rem.700's.

Posted By: tapout

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 11:14 PM

That is no doubt if he can't follow thwe camp rules and gun saftey he would be on the first bus out of there

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 11:27 PM

One of the nice things about the encore... kind of hard for it to go off when loading now de-cocking it is another story.

Every where I hunt.. When Inside the bolt must be out of your rifle or open.... No rounds in mag either

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/18/09 11:54 PM

Absolutely, Positively, Never has been, or Never will be any such thing as an accidental discharge. Negligent Discharge is the only option. Either you are negligent in your handling, in the functioning of your weapon, or of the safety rules.

Loading a gun in the house can be as safe or dangerous this applys to loading it in the stand just the same.

Until each person can accept this as his own and full responsibility accident will continue to happen.

Accidental discharge puts the blame on something else, rather than where it belongs.........YOU

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: doctaylor
Absolutely, Positively, Never has been, or Never will be any such thing as an accidental discharge. Negligent Discharge is the only option. Either you are negligent in your handling, in the functioning of your weapon, or of the safety rules.

Loading a gun in the house can be as safe or dangerous this applys to loading it in the stand just the same.

Until each person can accept this as his own and full responsibility accident will continue to happen.

Accidental discharge puts the blame on something else, rather than where it belongs.........YOU

so all those rem 700 that were messin up and firing when the bolt was closed... yep total disregard for hunting safety.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: doctaylor

so all those rem 700 that were messin up and firing when the bolt was closed... yep total disregard for hunting safety.

I believe that would fall under knowing you weapon. The problem with the remy's firing will happen with or with out a round in it. You should know the safety features of your weapon and there limitation.

If I handed you a loaded weapon and said it was empty and the safety was on....would you not check it or would you just take my word for it.... same thing

If the weapon is in your hands, it now becomes your responsibility.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 12:18 AM

thats dumb.... thats like me handing u a bomb, telling u it is safe, and then it blows up while ur just sitting there....well, u shouldve known the bomb and completely disabled it.... cmon, the bolt closes and BAM! not much u can do about that except always keep the muzzle in a safe direction, but it is still an ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE!

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 01:00 AM

thats dumb.... thats like me handing u a bomb, telling u it is safe, and then it blows up while ur just sitting there....well, u shouldve known the bomb and completely disabled it.... cmon, the bolt closes and BAM! not much u can do about that except always keep the muzzle in a safe direction, but it is still an ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE!

up

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 02:28 AM

First off, I am never satisfied taking someone's word when it comes to guns. The only gun I trust is one that I have unloaded myself. That doesn't mean no one else has sense enough to handle a gun it just means I am not willing to put my life or welfare in some strangers hands when it comes to guns. I know first hand that guns fail sometimes but in most cases when people are injured or killed it is carelessness on someone's part.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 03:22 AM

See KG gets it.

Back to the Remy it was never the bolt, it was a problem with the trigger/safety mechanism.

When a firearm discharges negligently, more than one action must be scrutinized. The mechanical aspect in only one variation of the problem.

Posted By: eevinrude

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/19/09 03:24 AM

I took hunter safety many years ago when I was just a youngster and I'm old enough not to need it but my parents knew it was a good idea. The first thing I learned was: Never load your gun until your actually setup and ready to hunt and always treat every gun as if it is loaded and could discharge at any time. Next was always check if a gun is loaded even if you just unloaded it and it was out of your control for even a second.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/20/09 06:43 PM

My dad has and old sportarized Enfield and one of his buddies reworked the trigger. It would go off sometimes when you click the safety off. I was ashame because it was really a good shooting gun.

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/22/09 05:32 AM

There is no such thing as a accidential discharg negligent.guns dont go off unless u dont have it on safe or u have it on fire with your finger on it. Sorry that always work for me.

Posted By: Nonsequitur

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/22/09 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP
There is no such thing as a accidential discharg negligent.guns dont go off unless u dont have it on safe or u have it on fire with your finger on it. Sorry that always work for me.

Yeah, right.
"No such thing as a "accidential discharg negligent.guns dont go off unless u dont have it on safe or u have it fire with your finger on it. Sorry that always work for me."

I will have to bring this brilliant piece of gun safety to my next meeting.

May I quote you?

Posted By: Big Joe

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/22/09 11:01 AM

Anything mechanical is subject to failure. A safe handling procedure is the ONLY way to prevent gun accidents.

Posted By: bobcaslayer1

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/25/09 11:46 PM

My Dad's old truck had a hole in the floorboard where my grandpa shot a hole in it while unloading it going down the road. Shot through the floorboard and into the right front tire while driving down the camp road. Since no one was hurt it always made for a good story, that was my first truck and when someone would ride with me they would always ask what is that silicone doing all over the floorboard. it was a lever action 30-30 that was given to me after he passed away.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/29/09 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Your right.
Whatever happens with a gun in my hands, is my responsibility, period. I won't handle a closed gun, will correct others, and will check it when its handed to me, even if I saw you clear it. I will clear one, lay it down, and when I pick it up I will check it again.

There are no accidents with loaded firearms.

Yes, my Sig P226 is loaded and chambered right now. If it goes off laying there on the counter, it's still my fault. My M4 is loaded but not chambered. If I need it I'll have time to charge it.

Posted By: HaskellCoDeerKiller

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge - 11/29/09 07:57 PM

Sounds like he dont need a firearm in his possession.Typical Dumb ARSE if you ask me.Thats how Innocent people get Killed.He needs a lesson in Firearm Safety.You now they have Classes Everywhere.JMO

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum