Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sat. Morning accidential discharge #1030476 11/11/09 11:05 PM
C
CRAM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Sat morning before the morning hunt one of the guys I hunt with had an A.D. About 5:15 in the morning, we have been telling this fool for years to be careful with his rifle and where he points it and loads it. He loaded his rifle in the house as If a ten point was gonna walk out of the bathroom, and chambered a round and pulled the trigger for whatever reason. He claims that he just put the bolt in and the gun went off....I called bs right away cause there is no way that could happen. The bullet ended up going out the back of the house and nobody was hurt thank god. Keep in mind this is the same guy that makes fun of me for checking the safety on my rifle every fifteen mins. I talked to him the other day and he said he learned a valuable lesson, never to load the his rifle in the house again..... Just thought I share my story, make sure yall stay safe or don't hunt with an idiot like we do...

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1030504 11/11/09 11:13 PM
D
deewayne2003 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I have personally seen a rifle fire when the bolt was closed and the guys finger was no where near the trigger; that said its just another reason to load your rifle in the stand.

I know guys that ride around with a loaded rifle bouncing on the seat next to them, and I know a couple of guys who have shot through their transmission in that very same way.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1030506 11/11/09 11:13 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry there is NO accidental discharges, just as you discribed. Glad no one was hurt.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: dgilbert] #1030515 11/11/09 11:17 PM
jim1961 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Obviously not an accident because he chose to load in an unsafe manner and location. I had a rifle that was discharging when closing the bolt but with gun safety it was discovered in the stand

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1030520 11/11/09 11:18 PM
T
tattooedtexan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The gun could have went off when he put the bolt in and chambered the round. A guy on my lease had performed his own trigger job the week before the season started and his rifle went off when he chambered his rifle in his stand. The gun would fire everytime the bolt would close. A friend of mine, took the trigger and fixed it back safely.

NRA Life member. Join the NRA! Texas State Rifle Assoc. Life member. Join TSRA!!! "An armed society is a polite society."
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tattooedtexan] #1030531 11/11/09 11:22 PM
T
tattooedtexan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The rifle was a Winchester model 70 that he had no business fooling with. I do know that many accidents have happened with Model 700 Remingtons because of the same reason.

NRA Life member. Join the NRA! Texas State Rifle Assoc. Life member. Join TSRA!!! "An armed society is a polite society."
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tattooedtexan] #1030537 11/11/09 11:24 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't know what make and model gun he has, but I personally witnessed a friend's Remington 788 discharge by itself years ago with nothing around the trigger. Best education I ever got.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tattooedtexan] #1030543 11/11/09 11:28 PM
C
CRAM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
It very well could of happened, but his story kept changing so that's how we know he touched the dang trigger

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1030553 11/11/09 11:30 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If the story is changing, probably a wandering trigger finger. It's usually not difficult to tell the truth more than once.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Grizz] #1030561 11/11/09 11:33 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
loading in the house? Idiot. Want to load up the magazine, fine, but there is no good reason to chamber the round until you are in the stand (unless you see one when walking to the stand.)

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Grizz] #1030562 11/11/09 11:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Another example of those 1000+ things that can happen when you're holding a loaded firearm and you're NOT in your stand.

Just wait until you're in your stand to load the chamber, and empty the chamber before you leave.

Sounds simple but it will eliminate MOST shooting accidents.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texas Dan] #1030617 11/11/09 11:54 PM
R
redog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
This dude would have been removed from the lease weather it was the gun or not!!!!.........Sorry dont bring back lives.......
zero tolerance!!!!!....Your gone!!!!

" smile this is the first day of the rest of your life"
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texas Dan] #1030619 11/11/09 11:56 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger.

I never could duplicate the problem, but I later found out that Remington had a recall on some early 700's for that problem. By the time I heard about the recall, the rifle was long since traded away.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texan Til I Die] #1030640 11/12/09 12:04 AM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
I have first hand experience with an AD. It was about 1979 or 1980 and the rifle was an unmodified Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. It started with a failure to discharge - I moved from safe to fire, took aim at a deer, squeezed the trigger, and...nothing. No click, just nothing. I carefully removed my finger from inside the trigger guard, eased the rifle away from my shoulder and turned it slightly to see if the safety was actually off and BOOM! I quickly worked the bolt to chamber another round and when I closed the bolt it discharged again. Neither my finger nor anything else was anywhere close to the trigger.

I never could duplicate the problem, but I later found out that Remington had a recall on some early 700's for that problem. By the time I heard about the recall, the rifle was long since traded away.

I retired my grand dads old Winchester 97 when it started doing that........scared the crap out of me!!!

Tbar

Make America Great Again

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Tbar] #1030715 11/12/09 12:41 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I don't see why a hunting rifle is any different than a pistol. Do all of you unload your pistol when go in your house? My pistol is loaded 24/7, and my hunting rifle is loaded the second I walk out my house, I have loaded it in the house before, but that is rare. I do unload when using a climbing stand, but other type stands I don't. Just be careful when loading and unloading other than that leave it on safety till ready to fire. Cops, and military keep their guns loaded. Do yall consider that unsafe as well?

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: helomech] #1030734 11/12/09 12:47 AM
T
tattooedtexan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I do think it is unsafe to climb into any type of stand with a round chambered. My magazine is always loaded on my rifle, but I load it and push the round down into the magazine while I close the bolt. When I get into my stand, I then chamber the rifle.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: tattooedtexan] #1030868 11/12/09 01:33 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tattooedtexan
I do think it is unsafe to climb into any type of stand with a round chambered. My magazine is always loaded on my rifle, but I load it and push the round down into the magazine while I close the bolt. When I get into my stand, I then chamber the rifle.

That's my practice as well. I keep shells in the rifle clip, but I keep them separate until I reach the woods. I'll insert the clip before leaving the truck or ATV, but leave the chamber empty. Only after I'm in my stand do I chamber a round.

Then I complete everything in reverse and at the same times when I leave to go back to camp.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texas Dan] #1030914 11/12/09 01:46 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Had an AD myself about 10 or 11 years ago. It was opening morning, I got in the stand and after getting everything arranged, I took my remington 700 and loaded it. As I closed the bolt it discharged and made a hole in the top of the roof. I think I suffered hearing lose and scared the hell out of myself. I promise no finger near the trigger. It has a Jewell trigger in it and it was set way too light. I am just glad I always wait to get in the stand to load my rifle or it could have been really ugly. I am a fanatic about gun safety. I am the guy that is always checking his safety when in the field and I agree with whoever said that guy would be long gone off my lease or I would. Sorry dont bring anybody back. Sorry you had to experience that.

Let'em grow old
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: rtp] #1030946 11/12/09 01:52 AM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Great post! Thank you for sharing the incident. I experienced a guy shoot a round through a door of my friend's truck. Somehow while driving to the hunting spot the gun discharged. Fortunately no one was hurt. Having a loading gun while not in the position to properly use can have devastating consequences. My acceptation is a personnel defense weapon that is properly handled or stored. Safety can not be over stressed.

You mentioned that you were telling this guy for years to be careful. I am assuming you had some doubts about his gun safety. If this is the case, it sometimes is only a matter of time before something will occur. Maybe its time for him to go.

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: Texas Dan] #1030984 11/12/09 02:04 AM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring

That's my practice as well. I keep shells in the rifle clip, but I keep them separate until I reach the woods. I'll insert the clip before leaving the truck or ATV, but leave the chamber empty. Only after I'm in my stand do I chamber a round.

Then I complete everything in reverse and at the same times when I leave to go back to camp.

I also do just as yall, I have always felt comforable doing so. But in reality there in lies the problem. When we become comfortable doing things we sometimes have the tendency to think we already went through the motion. And thats when a mistake happens. Just two weeks ago I was at the range shooting my 7mag and my daughter inlaws 270. All my shooting life I never leave two bxs of rounds of differant cal on the bench at the same time. But this time I did. I always feed the rifle one round at a time. THis time I reached over and grabed a 270 round and fired it threw my 7mag. After a trip to harris methodist to have them remove the metal from my rt eye I am very grateful too still have my site. My point is when we think we have a safe procdure that we are sure we follow every time. We still need to double ck . Theres no rm for error with firearms. I ck my safty and Ick it again and again . I never leave two bxs of diff cal on bench. But I did. I didnt know that til my son walked into the er and said Dad I know what you did wrong. I said yes I took my safty glasses off right before I shot. Which is another thing I would have said I never do. He said no and held up the blown up caseing of the 270.

bassackwards dav
Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: WTGuide] #1031011 11/12/09 02:13 AM
S
Stax Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
He would have to go....JMO

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: bassackwards dav] #1031013 11/12/09 02:13 AM
T
tattooedtexan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bassackwards dav
Originally Posted By: Dan in Spring

I also do just as yall, I have always felt comforable doing so. But in reality there in lies the problem. When we become comfortable doing things we sometimes have the tendency to think we already went through the motion. And thats when a mistake happens. Just two weeks ago I was at the range shooting my 7mag and my daughter inlaws 270. All my shooting life I never leave two bxs of rounds of differant cal on the bench at the same time. But this time I did. I always feed the rifle one round at a time. THis time I reached over and grabed a 270 round and fired it threw my 7mag. After a trip to harris methodist to have them remove the metal from my rt eye I am very grateful too still have my site. My point is when we think we have a safe procdure that we are sure we follow every time. We still need to double ck . Theres no rm for error with firearms. I ck my safty and Ick it again and again . I never leave two bxs of diff cal on bench. But I did. I didnt know that til my son walked into the er and said Dad I know what you did wrong. I said yes I took my safty glasses off right before I shot. Which is another thing I would have said I never do. He said no and held up the blown up caseing of the 270.

This exact accident happened to a very good friend of mine. Luckily it only blew the magazine out of the bottom of the gun, but he was very upset with himself and grateful that he didn't hurt himself or someone else.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: dgilbert] #1031134 11/12/09 02:47 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Sorry there is NO accidental discharges, just as you discribed. Glad no one was hurt.
only NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES huh DG?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: CRAM] #1031294 11/12/09 03:29 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
No excuse for this. I have been around these fools a few times but never a second time. You don't need these type in camp. Yes there are problems that happen with guns but camp is not the place to check if everything is working as it should be. I had a pump shotgun one time that didn't fire when I pulled the trigger but if you wiggled the pump a little it blasted whatever you were pointing at. Another time I had a hunting partner with a 7 mag bolt that didn't fire when he pulled the trigger but wiggle the bolt and it exploded. These are not things that hunters need to check at camp.

Re: Sat. Morning accidential discharge [Re: 1FowlHntR] #1031320 11/12/09 03:36 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: 1FowlHntR
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
only NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES huh DG?

yes sir. Think about it, what causes an accident? Not following safe procedures? Being complacent?

I agree, there are no accidental discharges. This guy got lucky nobody was injured.

I for one normally don't even chamber a round until I see a shooter, but thats just me.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide