Forum Stats
54122 Members
41 Forums
399483 Topics
5143365 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2764712 - 11/18/11 08:49 AM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: stxranchman]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love
THF Celebrity

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: jshaw2025
This is exactly why I'm moving back to Georgia in a few years. Texas has so little public land it isn't funny. Everybody always talks about how hunting in Texas is so great, but heck, you can only do it if you spend 10,000 a year on a lease or pay a guide 2500 to go on a 3 day hunt. To put things in perspective a little bit. I have a lifetime hunting license in the state of Georgia. I have to have a kill record printed out each year, but it's free. If I go to the WMA, it's free. National Forest, free. ($4 parking fee on the honor system)

Just curious here. How is the hunting on this "free land" than we all paid for?
peep

Theres deer in georgia?

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#2764970 - 11/18/11 09:59 AM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Navasot]
skinnerback Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: jshaw2025
This is exactly why I'm moving back to Georgia in a few years. Texas has so little public land it isn't funny. Everybody always talks about how hunting in Texas is so great, but heck, you can only do it if you spend 10,000 a year on a lease or pay a guide 2500 to go on a 3 day hunt. To put things in perspective a little bit. I have a lifetime hunting license in the state of Georgia. I have to have a kill record printed out each year, but it's free. If I go to the WMA, it's free. National Forest, free. ($4 parking fee on the honor system)

Just curious here. How is the hunting on this "free land" than we all paid for?
peep

Theres deer in georgia?

rofl

#2764989 - 11/18/11 10:05 AM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: scott01]
CRAnderson52 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Irving, Texas
Originally Posted By: scott01
Never hunted with them but BoxRoutfitters posts in the guids ection all the time. I believe it's $100 per day and you can get 2 hogs. Sounds cheap enough to me. Good reviews from those who have hunted there as well. I've been looking to find time on my calendar to get my son out there to get his first pig (he's only 8).

Never got hunted with them, but we do lease our land from the Reeds and they're awesome people!

#2765476 - 11/18/11 12:52 PM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jshaw2025]
Bulls eye Offline
Light Foot

I agree with jonesfisher...Its not unreasanable to charge a SMALL fee. up

Edited by Bulls eye (11/18/11 01:10 PM)

#2765552 - 11/18/11 01:24 PM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Bulls eye]
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: quinlan,tx
I am on an 850 acre lease in East Texas that is covered up with hogs. After deer season, I have no problem taking folks there to kill hogs. I do charge a small fee to help with the cost of my gas ,food, corn, batteries for feeders and what-not. I dont think it is wrong to try to recover some of the costs involved in keeping up a lease. The hunter can bring a tent or small camper or sleep on the sofa in mine. No one on my lease hunts after Dec. and I have it all to myself.The fee also helps pay for the electricity used during the hunt.We hunt hog,bobcat, coyotes, squirrels. I do all the work and let someone else hunt. I think I should get something for that.

#2766447 - 11/18/11 07:09 PM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: jshaw2025]
bjankowski Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Burleson, Tex and Possum Kingd...
I agree with everyone else, I'm not paying to hog hunt.

There have been a few guys post free hog hunting. Just keep looking and go back on the pages of the hog forum you may find one.

One reason we are having a pig problem too many people are trying to make money from hunters and this is going to continue as long as people pay to kill them nasty pigs.

#2767083 - 11/19/11 03:50 AM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: bjankowski]
Dave Davidson Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Hurst, Tx
Most landowners have reasonably small properties with neighbors who don't want shots fired at night. I am one of those small property owners. And yes, the hogs are mostly nocturnal.

Some of my concerns are:

I don't know you and this is important. I'm also not interested in your money.

I don't live there except on weekends but have a house, equipment, etc. I want seclusion and peace of mind.

A mistake could cost a landowner or a neighbor a cow. Are you financially responsible? Mistakes happen.

Would you sue me if you got hurt? It has happened, not to me, but to others. In other words, if you step onto my land, I have a liability.

Hogs are a lot less problem than people.

Lots of "what ifs?".

I would have to know someone very, very, well to turn them loose on my land, at night, with a rifle.

BTW, I have never heard of any rancher turning hogs loose. We already have plenty.

Edited by Dave Davidson (11/19/11 03:53 AM)

#2767857 - 11/19/11 12:10 PM Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap [Re: Dave Davidson]
der Teufel Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Central Texas
up The above pretty much sums up the reality of the situation.

My Father-in-Law has roughly 170 acres that he farms and ranches. He occasionally gets requests from folks, mostly deer and dove hunters, wanting to hunt on his property. He always says no.

He has enough work and worries without dealing with unknown folks who might or might not take care of things. He doesn't need someone walking through a field damaging crops, shooting a calf or cow, leaving trash, leaving a gate open, damaging fences or buildings, etc. Besides, he has me and his grandson to take care of hog problems when they arise grin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© 2004-2014 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide