Texas Hunting Forum

How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap

Posted By: StoegerM3500

How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/15/11 04:43 PM

My dad and i have been trying to find a place that has a hog problem and might let us come out and shoot a few. We have never done it but we have deer hunted and duck hunted. My question is: do yall no of a part of texas, or a guide or someone who has a lot of hogs that will let us come out and hunt for a fair price?

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/15/11 05:03 PM

What is your version of a fair price? That would help folks answer. That is if you get any replies at all.

Posted By: scott01

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/15/11 05:25 PM

Never hunted with them but BoxRoutfitters posts in the guids ection all the time. I believe it's $100 per day and you can get 2 hogs. Sounds cheap enough to me. Good reviews from those who have hunted there as well. I've been looking to find time on my calendar to get my son out there to get his first pig (he's only 8).

Posted By: jmc82

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/15/11 07:02 PM

I refuse to pay to hunt hogs. If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous. So is these morons breeding them for size then turning them loose to be hunted.

Posted By: stuko

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/15/11 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jmc82
I refuse to pay to hunt hogs. If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous. So is these morons breeding them for size then turning them loose to be hunted.

up happy3

Posted By: scott01

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 03:10 PM

That's great so long as you find the right landowners who will allow you to hunt them on their property for free. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of places we can hunt them, although we normally trap them so we can get 5-8 at a time.

Posted By: redhunter

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 04:01 PM

stoeger,

Look in the outtfitters section, several people offering hog hunts. Several not to far from the metroplex

Posted By: Navasot

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 04:34 PM

Uh im not sure who is turnin them loose that you know of but thats a bit illegal

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: StoegerM3500
My dad and i have been trying to find a place that has a hog problem and might let us come out and shoot a few. We have never done it but we have deer hunted and duck hunted. My question is: do yall no of a part of texas, or a guide or someone who has a lot of hogs that will let us come out and hunt for a fair price?

Were are you located? when are you wanting to hunt? might be gettin some stuff lined out for the spring PM me with some more details

Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 05:22 PM

x1,000,000!! happy3

Turning them into a money maker is only going to make the problem worse. If they're a problem, kill them. If you have to charge people for access to the "elusive wild hog" then they only have that much extra breeding time BC I sure as HECK ain't paying someone to do them a service.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasotbred

Uh im not sure who is turnin them loose that you know of but thats a bit illegal
our awesome local boar hunting outfit is. I have seen huge hogs walk in and out of their front gate on numerous occassions. Everything was hog fenced to keep them in...except the entrance.

Posted By: doggey111

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 08:07 PM

Ha, hog-fenced, that's funny! Not really such a thing! They'll make a mess out of any fence out there, I know, b/c we have enormous hog problems all the time! As far as charging, it's not really that different then varmint calling on people's land or a hunting lease that they're just included in. The land owners are trying to make money off their land just like with hunting anything else. However, I think there's more to be said about WHAT amount they want to charge, but not charging in general! They are a nuisance, but no more in some places then say coyotes and bobcats for us around here with sheep/goats/calves!

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 08:12 PM

our awesome local boar hunting outfit is. I have seen huge hogs walk in and out of their front gate on numerous occassions. Everything was hog fenced to keep them in...except the entrance.

Then they are deffinintly not legal...you can have trap doors to catch more but its a very iffy subject to bring in and turn loose hogs without a permit...which if they have one i guess no prob

Posted By: doggey111

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 08:37 PM

I guess really all people would have to say is they trapped them and are taking them to a processing plant or someone who buys them to process b/c there's plenty of those around. That's why I don't see why that'd be illegal per say.

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 09:51 PM

Quote:
If hogs are the giant problem people make them out to be, taking the hogs should be payment enough. Everybody trying to get rich from selling/guiding hog hunts is ridiculous.

I get this a lot. Folks want to hunt for free or next to nothing and justify it by saying that since hogs are a problem that they should be considered saviors of the landowner by doing the landowner such a big favor. The problem with that is multifold. First, and this is a huge one, is liability. Having free hunters, especially those you don't know who just want to come shoot hogs and such are a significant risk. I know that we all claim to be wonderful stewards of the land and 100% oriented to safety, but the truth of the matter is that too many of us are not. IHEA reports and news accounts bear this out. Too many of us are not fully safe, make sound or movement shots, will shoot at other game because it is there, and if injured will sue the land owner or potentially injured someone else and the landowner gets left holding the proverbial liability bag and ends up being the one that is sued.

Second, many of us are poor stewards of the land. We leave gates open, trash behind, shoot at the wrong animals, etc.

For the time being, for most land owners, problem hogs are less of a liability than letting Joe Bubba from the internet run around the property blasting away.

No, not all of us are like that, but then again, there are enough of us that spoil it for the rest.

I also have to find it amusing at the resentment many hunters have for landowners. The landowners are given lemons (hogs) and opt to turn a problem into something good by makng lemonade (hog hunts) and the hunters who don't own land are resentful that they cannot capitalize on the landowner's problem.

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/16/11 10:15 PM

popcorn

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 12:05 AM

hog's are not a problem they are revenue..if rats and mice get in your house...thats a problem and you call an exterminator ..if bee's get into your walls that is a problem..and you call bee removal people..i only know of one person who said he hates pigs and after deer season i can come kill all i want..but we will see

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: 30ft jon boat
hog's are not a problem they are revenue..if rats and mice get in your house...thats a problem and you call an exterminator ..if bee's get into your walls that is a problem..and you call bee removal people..i only know of one person who said he hates pigs and after deer season i can come kill all i want..but we will see

bang trout duel

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 12:31 AM

skinner don't hate me for being honest..the only people that hate hogs are deer ranchers and farmers and they are the big time minority..but if 12 thousand bees decided above the front door of your house would be a nice place to live.. who's gonna pay who to make'm leave

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 01:50 AM

LOL, I'm not hating on you man. But, hogs ARE a serious problem in certain areas. Not everyone's property/wildlife is affected the same. I've been on properties that really don't have much of a hog problem, but complain obout them like crazy. On down the road somewhere someone else really does have a problem with them & needs help with that problem especially when that problem is digging into their wallets. I used to be like alot of folks out there & called their pig stories over exagerations. That changed though when I started actually looking at these properties & seeing the damage in person. IMO, the hog problem is a two edged sword. There are land owners & guides out there that curse the pigs understandably so, but still enjoy making money off of the hog hunts, why not. Then there are farmers & ranchers who don't even hunt or allow hunters, but are losing a considerable amount of money each year as a direct result from them. I used to not believe it but yes, pigs love meat & will kill & eat newborn fawns, calfs, etc, & in certain areas do a lot of it. So, what I'm saying is you have to treat each "hog problem" differently. One thing is for shure though, the problem is getting bigger all the time. I was really surprised to see just how much damage pigs can do to crops alone, if the problem is that bad they need to be treated like any other bug/fungus/disease & killed. Even here in the city limits pigs are now coming into yards & rooting up grass & flowerbeds, they've never been in town before.

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 02:36 AM

I got my first bow kill when I was 18, he is still the biggest boar I've ever killed. This ol' boy "technically" lived in the city limits & all of a sudden had this big pack of hogs in his yard at night, rooting up his grass & flowerbeads, & would chase his dogs back into the house. I never lie, this is no BS. Well, anyway this ol' guy would always complain about the pigs in his yard but was scared to do anything about it because he didn't want any trouble with the law. Finally, when he got one of his dogs hooked by a boar in his own back yard he called me & finally gave me permission to hunt. I came out the next day & shot the biggest one in the group. He was somewhere between 400-500 pounds....HUGE, (got pictures). He's the only boar that has ever charged me. They say white boy's cain't jump, but this one was runnin' like a sombish lol. It's not just farmers & ranchers that hate pigs. It's a problem that I don't think alot of people will really understand until they experience it for themselves.

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 02:45 AM

Howz that workin' out for ya? I will agree with part of your statement! You'd have to be a moron to raise hogs and then turn them loose but I don't believe any land owner is that stupid.

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 06:17 AM

up bang

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Cool_Hand

Howz that workin' out for ya? I will agree with part of your statement! You'd have to be a moron to raise hogs and then turn them loose but I don't believe any land owner is that stupid.

It works out pretty well.

Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/17/11 03:35 PM

This is exactly why I'm moving back to Georgia in a few years. Texas has so little public land it isn't funny. Everybody always talks about how hunting in Texas is so great, but heck, you can only do it if you spend 10,000 a year on a lease or pay a guide 2500 to go on a 3 day hunt. To put things in perspective a little bit. I have a lifetime hunting license in the state of Georgia. I have to have a kill record printed out each year, but it's free. If I go to the WMA, it's free. National Forest, free. ($4 parking fee on the honor system)

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 02:04 AM

Yeah but you never know whos out there in the woods with you and somebody is always messin' with your stuff. I had enough of that public land hunting in Colorado.

Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 01:55 PM

Public land hunting is big in PA. I know this is the Texas forum. Monday after Thanksgiving there will be 750,00(est.) hunters in the PA. woods. All wearing orange. Yes we have our accidents, not that many compared to how many hunters there are. Imagine the only way to shoot a pig would be to go to a Hunting Preserve. 80-100 acres. Shoot a hog after being there for 10 minutes and paying $700-$800 to do this. This does not include your meals or lodging. This is what I deal with here in PA. $150-$200 a day and shoot what you can? This is great! I will do this next year and be so excited. Look how good you have it there.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jshaw2025
This is exactly why I'm moving back to Georgia in a few years. Texas has so little public land it isn't funny. Everybody always talks about how hunting in Texas is so great, but heck, you can only do it if you spend 10,000 a year on a lease or pay a guide 2500 to go on a 3 day hunt. To put things in perspective a little bit. I have a lifetime hunting license in the state of Georgia. I have to have a kill record printed out each year, but it's free. If I go to the WMA, it's free. National Forest, free. ($4 parking fee on the honor system)

Just curious here. How is the hunting on this "free land" than we all paid for?

Posted By: JonesFisher

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 02:10 PM

Im Offering $50 a day hog hunts, now quit complaining about it being to expensive. They are a problem on my land, but I dont feel its wrong to charge a small fee to hunt on my property that I have to pay taxes and maintenance for, besides I use all the money I make from hunting to pay for wildlife feed and habitat improvement, and trust me its not %20 of my annual cost. I could charge more, but id never be able to recoup all annual cost anyway. If you want to come hunting, pm me.

Posted By: log cabin

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 02:47 PM

JonesFisher,

I tried sending you a pm about setting up a hunt. Not sure if it went thru...Let me know if you don't see it.

Dave

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

peep

Theres deer in georgia?

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

peep

Theres deer in georgia?

rofl

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: scott01
Never hunted with them but BoxRoutfitters posts in the guids ection all the time. I believe it's $100 per day and you can get 2 hogs. Sounds cheap enough to me. Good reviews from those who have hunted there as well. I've been looking to find time on my calendar to get my son out there to get his first pig (he's only 8).

Never got hunted with them, but we do lease our land from the Reeds and they're awesome people!

Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 06:52 PM

I agree with jonesfisher...Its not unreasanable to charge a SMALL fee. up

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/18/11 07:24 PM

I am on an 850 acre lease in East Texas that is covered up with hogs. After deer season, I have no problem taking folks there to kill hogs. I do charge a small fee to help with the cost of my gas ,food, corn, batteries for feeders and what-not. I dont think it is wrong to try to recover some of the costs involved in keeping up a lease. The hunter can bring a tent or small camper or sleep on the sofa in mine. No one on my lease hunts after Dec. and I have it all to myself.The fee also helps pay for the electricity used during the hunt.We hunt hog,bobcat, coyotes, squirrels. I do all the work and let someone else hunt. I think I should get something for that.

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/19/11 01:09 AM

I agree with everyone else, I'm not paying to hog hunt.

There have been a few guys post free hog hunting. Just keep looking and go back on the pages of the hog forum you may find one.

One reason we are having a pig problem too many people are trying to make money from hunters and this is going to continue as long as people pay to kill them nasty pigs.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/19/11 09:50 AM

Most landowners have reasonably small properties with neighbors who don't want shots fired at night. I am one of those small property owners. And yes, the hogs are mostly nocturnal.

Some of my concerns are:

I don't know you and this is important. I'm also not interested in your money.

I don't live there except on weekends but have a house, equipment, etc. I want seclusion and peace of mind.

A mistake could cost a landowner or a neighbor a cow. Are you financially responsible? Mistakes happen.

Would you sue me if you got hurt? It has happened, not to me, but to others. In other words, if you step onto my land, I have a liability.

Hogs are a lot less problem than people.

Lots of "what ifs?".

I would have to know someone very, very, well to turn them loose on my land, at night, with a rifle.

BTW, I have never heard of any rancher turning hogs loose. We already have plenty.

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: How to find a place to go hog hunting for cheap - 11/19/11 06:10 PM

up The above pretty much sums up the reality of the situation.

My Father-in-Law has roughly 170 acres that he farms and ranches. He occasionally gets requests from folks, mostly deer and dove hunters, wanting to hunt on his property. He always says no.

He has enough work and worries without dealing with unknown folks who might or might not take care of things. He doesn't need someone walking through a field damaging crops, shooting a calf or cow, leaving trash, leaving a gate open, damaging fences or buildings, etc. Besides, he has me and his grandson to take care of hog problems when they arise grin

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum