Texas Hunting Forum

Is a 223 enough to kill a hog?

Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 01:37 PM

How many times have we seen the question posed on this forum?

Today on a routine youtube journey I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlrSVsAdpI&feature=related

I don't know these guys, I didn't post the video - I wanted to share it though as I believe it is a visual response to my own question, which is commonly asked on this forum.

You be the judge, I just want to say that I personally think this animal suffered undue pain. MY OPINION.

BB

Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 01:43 PM

I'm not so sure that was even a "wild" animal. It did not seem to care it was being approached with no attempt to conceal, I even doubt the shot placement looking at the clown doing the shooting.

Posted By: djones

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 01:52 PM

In a world with no laws, imagine sneaking up behind the biggest, meanest fighter you can think of. Then punch him in the side of his face. Maybe you’ll stagger him. Maybe you’ll knock him down. Maybe you’ll even kill him. But if he is able to shake it off and turn around and look at you, do you think he will run or kill you?

If a hog is the dominant boar, then he’s not afraid of anything, except humans...maybe. If he doesn’t know you’re there, and you shoot him, whether it's fatal or not, he's going to be pissed. If it doesn't disrupt the central nervous system, there is a chance he could turn on you. Why why why would you want to risk that with a 223? You can’t always put it behind the ear.

PS - 300 pounds??? Really???

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 03:21 PM

Here is the back side of a hog after I hit him with 75g TAP.
http://imgur.com/ukuL4

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 03:26 PM

Do people really like hunting with 223 this much? how is this always poppin up...its a cool round and has its purpose...but really....are yall that scared of a gun with a little kick

Posted By: cloudnine

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 03:28 PM

Took a 200lb boar with 55gr FMJ, DRT. Shot placement is the key - this topic is like a broken record.

And no...I own a 30-06 and a 308, but AR15's are fun for hogs and ammo is cheap.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 03:39 PM

Shot placement is never a guarantee and is based on many things such as but not limited to:

Hunting terrain

Hunter's experience

Weather

Etc...

223 will not be effective if the mark is missed by 1/2, 1, 3 inches...

Im with Mr. Djones, why why why why risk it, for both you and the animals sake.

Could you imagine the video if that animal had charged that guy.

BB

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 04:51 PM

They are not cape buffalo. I would consider hunting them about as "dangerous" as deer hunting.

.223 is plenty for hogs.

Posted By: KC

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 04:54 PM

I wouldn't argue with djones simply out of respect for his chops as the master hog killer, but the day I find a hog I can't kill with 30 rounds of 75 gr TAP I'm getting out of the business...

A hog can be cleanly and ethically killed with the .223. I've done it too many times to doubt it...

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 04:55 PM

You may change your mind the first time one charges you.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 04:57 PM

300 no way, plus whats the diffrence if the pig bleeds out like that or it runs off and bleeds out in the woods. alot of time a animal wil be dead but the nerves still are moving.

Posted By: DuckedBlind

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 04:58 PM

Thats why i leave my vagina in the truck when i go after hogs.......

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 05:29 PM

RAZOR DOBBS STYLE, WALK UP TO THEM AND BUST EM WITH THE 1911 !!
.223 will pop their head like a melon though. No vaginitis in my camp allowed.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 05:31 PM

There are guys out there that say they've killed hundreds of hogs. Maybe so. I know there are outfitters that have several guides taking out dozens of hunters who definitely are responsible for hundreds of hogs each year. I have taken 286 hogs just in 2011, either by myself or with friends (maybe you've seen some of my pics grin). While I don't consider myself any more knowledgeable than the next hunter, I DO believe I have a little more experience than the average hog hunter. Granted that experience is limited to events in my given circumstances. That includes shots from 22s to 45-70 at standing, unalarmed piglets to running adrenaline stoked monsters.

My experience tells me hogs are nothing like deer. Their hide is thicker, they’re tougher and have a will to live like no other animal. One of the scariest hunts I’ve been on was when I shot a hog during the day that darted across a dirt road. When we got up to where he crossed, he was just inside the brushline, crouched down, facing us... waiting. We were talking the whole time we approached, so I know he knew we were coming. When he saw us, he ran off. I believe if I had approached him slowly through the brush to track him by myself, he would have attacked me. Deer don’t do that. I consider hogs dangerous game and hunt them accordingly.

Sure a 223 can and will kill one. I just want to see what you use AFTER your first charge.

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 05:58 PM

Hey, if thats what gets your blood pumping, more power to you!

I could consider squirrels dangerous game since they'd probably gnaw your face off if they could get to it....but i dont live in a fantasy world.

Next time i'm in the woods, i'll surely be the lookout for armor plated blood thirsty hogs....and tree rats too!

Posted By: matt117

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:16 PM

I have taken at least 10 hogs with my AR. I think the biggest problem with the .223 round is that people hunt with FMJ ammo. I use a 55 grain soft point that I buy from the Dallas Reloading Supply and I have never had one go more than 40 yards. That being said the last sow I shot went 40 yard after taking a 180 grain bullet moving at 3000 fps from my 300WSM at 20 yards. When I gutted her I made a perfect shot and blew her heart out and left an exit hole the size of my fist.

I don't think it matters what round you use as long as the bullet is for killing game and not FMJ. Now a shot over a few hundred yards is a different story.

I will say that when I went after that sow a few weeks ago her clan was waiting and I would have felt alot more comfortable with my AR than my 300wsm bolt gun.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:23 PM

How many of you would go on a guided deer hunt where the deer could go 250 to 300lbs or bigger, and take a 223? I wouldn’t even take that as my backup gun.

I was going to concede that perhaps you could take a 30 pounder with a 223 if you were close enough, but forget it. I can see being Mr. Nice Guy is getting me nowhere, so the gloves are coming off. I’m going on record now as saying…

YOU CAN’T KILL A PIG WITH A 223.

Now before you argue with me, I suggest you find out a little bit about the real djones. You can begin your research here.

Top 100 Facts About Djones

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:41 PM

Personally, I think a 223 is overkill. I've killed plenty of them with a 22lr. grill

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:42 PM

And even more of them with a stick and a string. violin

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:44 PM

ph,
Get your facts straight. A 22lr is far more powerful than a 223. Once I roundhouse kicked a 223 out of mid air.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:54 PM

I wonder if those two I shot the other day are dead. Since we ate them I would assume they were.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: djones
ph,
Get your facts straight. A 22lr is far more powerful than a 223. Once I roundhouse kicked a 223 out of mid air.

I'm afraid if I followed up on that one, the conversation would end with "They went through my nose". happy3

Posted By: West Fork Armory

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 06:58 PM

Lol, I killed two hogs with my suppressed 10/22 last Tuesday. Both dropped in their tracks and have hit the smoker already.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 07:07 PM

.....So......

Does anyone know a hunter like the two guys in the vid, if so would you trust them with anything higher than a .223 caliber.

Case in point -

a) why is the guy walking in the brush to begin with when there is a trail 5 feet to the right.

b) why didn't he take the shot when the pig came into view initially instead of closing the distance another 15 yards to make his shot.

c) why is he taking instruction like a good little robot-man from a guy holding a camera and bow.

I would venture to guess that if the hog were on a ridge elevated from the shooter that he wouldn't have thought twice about shooting at it.

Perhaps these two guys are the exception to the rule...... Because most people defending the .223 seem to know what they are doing despite the visual evidence seen in shots 1 through 3 in the vid.

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 07:19 PM

No one who owns a 223 knows what they're doing, or they wouldn't have one hammer

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 07:28 PM

If anyone eats a hog you think was killed with a 223, you'd better get checked out. He was probably diseased and just happened to die when you pulled the trigger. Your bullet probably blew up just under the skin and didn't even penetrate.

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 07:51 PM

The original title for Alien vs. Predator was Alien and Predator vs Djones. The film was cancelled shortly after going into preproduction. No one would pay nine dollars to see a movie fourteen seconds long.

roflOh dang those were great.

Posted By: 12gaugehogkiller

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 08:28 PM

lol i read all 100 facts about djones... hilarious lol35

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 08:35 PM

My work blocks the sight. It's prolly a good thing.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 08:36 PM

No one who owns a 223 knows what they're doing, or they wouldn't have one hammer

True that. We all know the government doesn't have the sense The Good Lord gave a rock.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 09:20 PM

Here passthru. Maybe my personal link will work for you. Tell me who your employer is and I'll kick him in the face.

New Link

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/11/11 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
A hog can be cleanly and ethically killed with the .223. I've done it too many times to doubt it...
True story!! the ammo is cheaper than my big bores and for no more than I hunt them(more of an animal of opportunity) then so be it, it is proven that with the right load and right shooter/shot placement, it does in fact kill hogs.

Posted By: jram512

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 01:14 AM

Shoot 2" behind the ear. They arent as dangerous as people say unless you are within 20 yards are so. They will charge if cornered. I have killed hundreds of hogs with thermal gear under 50 yards. All sizes. Never once had one get away or charge me. Someone has been watching too much pig bomb.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 02:41 AM

djones has read too many Chuck Norris jokes.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By: jram512
...I have killed hundreds of hogs...
Now where have I heard that before? Got any pics? You aren't by chance a Pro Staffer for Pig Crack are you?

Posted By: Big.Man

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 04:46 AM

U can kill a hog with a 17HMR amigo
...just do it in the right place...

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 05:30 AM

no way a .223 round could get through a hogs kevlar enforced, super resistant, armor plated, lead repellant hide... just saying.

Posted By: TexCason90

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 06:36 AM

"Aim Small, Miss Small" no matter if its a .223 or a .308 a good shot will kill any Texas animal

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
no way a .223 round could get through a hogs kevlar enforced, super resistant, armor plated, lead repellant hide... just saying.

Why would you shoot at an armor plate when you can just shoot them in the ear? Why make it any harder than it has to be? Can't hit the ear? Stalk them! I don't keep a hog kill talley but it's considerable. With one exception, I have never killed a hog (bow or rifle) that was over 25 yards from me. If you can't sneak up any closer than that, you need some Tutsi Tracking Training.

Seriously, I've killed them with 1 shot to the ear with a 22lr and seen other hogs take 5 hits with a 30-06 because the shooter insisted on shooting the body. Body shot - hard. Head shot - easy. Do the math. Or pretend there's math to do. Then do the math.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 02:17 PM

I completely understand making a good first shot, but do you just quit after that and watch the others run off?

And Brandon, don’t be coy. Everyone knows you shoot armor piercing 9mm bullets

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 02:46 PM

By reading all these posts of Hunter's extraordinaries, who make all these headshots, I would think that Old Spice could make a commercial based on these claims.

I wonder how many of the local Hog Hunting outfitters use .223 bolt or semis for their hunts?

BB

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 02:52 PM

I completely understand making a good first shot, but do you just quit after that and watch the others run off?

that I do, that I do. It has been a while since Ive taken one with the handgun, last one I took was with a 5.45mm.... which is smaller than the .223 lol. Didnt even hit him in the ear.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 02:56 PM

Would anyone care to share their experience with using a .223 in this type situ-ation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GHtVdq3RsU

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 03:29 PM

Yes. The rest run off. Then I go hunt another one. If your only intent is to kill as many as possible, just spray bullets into the midst of them and let them run off and die somewhere else.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bennybone
By reading all these posts of Hunter's extraordinaries, who make all these headshots, I would think that Old Spice could make a commercial based on these claims.

I wonder how many of the local Hog Hunting outfitters use .223 bolt or semis for their hunts?

BB

I can't speak for anyone else but when I can't put a bullet in a pigs ear at 25 yards, it's time to quit.

Posted By: Wader

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

I can't speak for anyone else but when I can't put a bullet in a pigs ear at 25 yards, it's time to quit.

Amen!

Posted By: Andrew-Stone Chimney

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 04:49 PM

The only possible way to kill a Texas superhog:

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/12/11 07:16 PM

I’ve approached within 25 yards and closer during the day with cover. But that’s very risky in a wide open area at night. Usually they bust you anyway. I think they see better at night than in the day. If you get that close on a herd at night, they can go berserk after the first shot. You can only see one direction through the night scope and may not see porkers circling toward you. Sometimes I’ve heard them coming and had to pull of my target to acquire the charger. I know I photoshop a lot, but this stuff really happens to me.

Of course I want to kill as many as possible, but I learned a long time ago not to “shoot into the covey”. I fully expect every one of my shots to hit a hog. But when they’re running at 200 yards, it isn’t going to be behind the ear.

I understand some folks take this stuff more seriously than others. Perhaps I’m teasing a bit hard about the 223, but I only do that cause one of my hunting buddies uses one, and I like to give him (and you guys) a hard time. I have a rig that works well for me. My conditions are very similar to Rod Pinkston's at JagerPro and so is my equipment. That guy knows more about killing hogs than anyone in the world. But if you shoot golf in the 100s, then go ahead and take lessons from someone who shoots in the 90s.

I’m going hunting now. I may not get anything, but I’ll meet you all back here tomorrow and we'll compare pics with what y'all kill in the next 24 hours. Maybe the experts can correct my mistakes.

Originally Posted By: JWP58
Hey, if thats what gets your blood pumping, more power to you!
I could consider squirrels dangerous game since they'd probably gnaw your face off if they could get to it....but i dont live in a fantasy world.
c’mon jdub. get those blinders off and put on a company hat. you’re in a hog thread. of course it gets my blood pumping. how can you say something like that when you’ve got a post like this…
Originally Posted By: JWP58
I've always wanted to hunt squirrels with dogs and shotguns…

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 12:00 AM

Oh Djones I am hunting tonight but it's split tails...

Posted By: FIREDAVIS

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 12:15 AM

.223 3 of the 4 were on the run and all dropped with in 40 yards.

.223 to the neck folded instantly

You can ask this sow if the .223 works

Or maybe these two.

The magical .223 bullet did it again.

This guy behind the shoulder with a .223 round didnt even make it out from under the feeder.

.223 taught this one how to play dead in front of my ground blind!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 12:37 AM

FIREDAVIS-

Must be your trigger group. Auto maybe?

LOL J/K nice kills

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 12:54 AM

I think bigger is better within reason.. just as I prefer a women.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 03:36 AM

Djones, we hunt with oasys brand. Jagrpro stuff has nothing on this. And yes, if you cant hit them in the ear then its time to hang it up. All joking aside that is what we do 6 months out of the year for income. We use ar10''s and 223's fully suppressed. If your goal is to kill as many as possible, get about 75 yards out. Use a full supressor, and get ready! About 50% of the time they will come straight at ya. The supressor's really confuse them. The most kills in one group is 12, but that is with 3 full set ups locked in with a count down. And no we dont aim for the ear when they are running at you. The best is to shoot the alpha male and female first, the babys just run in circles. If you find yourself near Austin I will take you out for an adverture. Happy hunting. If you want pics consult my facebook page!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 03:26 PM

Let's see...where were we? Oh yea.
.. I’m going hunting now. I may not get anything, but I’ll meet you all back here tomorrow and we'll compare pics with what y'all kill in the next 24 hours. Maybe the experts can correct my mistakes.
You 223ers called down the thunder, well you got it. 13 hogs last night. Not my best, but not a bad night.

Whew! After all the smack I laid down yesterday it would be just my luck to get shut out rofl . I was pretty optimistic though because I had several new places to hunt. I bet I saw over 150 hogs last night. If the wind had cooperated I would have run out of ammo, and I took 5 boxes.

matt - i want to hunt with you next time!

FIREDAVIS - A suppressor makes your gun look as good as a 308 so you're grandfathered in.

jram - I shouldn't have been so quick to rule out texas hunters. I should have said Rod was the best hog hunter I know of. I never heard of oasys, but I'm sorta new at this grin . Whatever it is, I'd love to check it out, but I doubt I'll be in Austin anytime soon. I'll check out your pics. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a little crow with my hogs cool .

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 03:34 PM

Djones-

How many hogs did you hit that ran away to die?

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 03:51 PM

I know I had four butt shots that connected and suspect two to four other hits on parts unknown. They either ran off, or I couldn't find them in the cotton. Small ones can be hard to find sometimes.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 07:19 PM

My setup is pretty sweet! I havent picked up any other rifle since I got it all rigged up the way I wanted it. I will be purchasing an AR10 to put my suppressor on but just because I have a firearm problem. I will be hunting for the next 4 days but with a bow in hand, but my pee shooter .223 will be in the truck just incase I drive up on some swine.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 07:44 PM

I shot a pig in the head with my 3006 one time that flopped like that. I walked out drove back to camp came back with a little trailer and guess what he was still doing. I think with a 223 its all about shot placement.

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 08:01 PM

It is all about shot placement. I have a buddy who harps on me about getting a "real caliber" with which to hunt hogs after I had a couple of poorly placed shots where the hogs ran. I was more inexperienced then and didn't choose my shots wisely. Mind you, he hit a feeder leg with a 12 ga. slug that completely missed his hog and last week missed with a .45-70. He didn't like it much when I asked him if a 12 ga. leg shot on a feeder was a killing shot or when I asked how much pig will a real caliber stop when it doesn't hit the pig. Poorly aimed shots are poorly aimed shots regardless of caliber. Your options for .223 are maybe fewer than for a bigger caliber, but if you know that going into your hunt and shoot accordingly, there should be no problems.

I mostly shoot .223 because my night vision won't work on my .45-70.

Posted By: Mountain hunter

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 09:44 PM

No doubt it will do the trick. Just makes the shot less forgiving then using a larger round.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/13/11 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mountain hunter
No doubt it will do the trick. Just makes the shot less forgiving then using a larger round.

This answer is a double edged sword. Some take it to mean they don't have to make an accurate shot if they shoot enough gun. Just as bad as not enough gun.

Posted By: Big.Man

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/14/11 12:48 AM

making a HOG suffer C'mon last year "THEY" killed dozen's of hogs and nilgai overhere with the helicopter and wernt picked up talk about making an animal suffer al'right.

i say for a one shot one kill situation its a great shot....u dont need a big twinker to get a female prego amigos!! of course its a want!!! make them suffer huh!!!

DJONES u the man amigo!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/14/11 02:25 AM

djones, well you one up'd me, my best night was 12, but way smaller than those! We get big ones here, but not in groups of 150. Nice work. With pics to prove your street cred you wont need any crow tonight bud!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/14/11 02:51 AM

I'm quite sure that given the opportunity to hunt open fields like you do up in North TX, I could beat 12 in a night no problem within a few time out. I've gotten 6 out a group of 10 in an opening no wider than 75 yards and with high grass every where. I just keep shooting and they keep dropping. A .223 with some 75 grain BTHP kills them. I shot one on Tuesday night at 270 - 280 yards free hand and dropped it. That was right after one of my hunting clients dropped and little 50 pounder. Then last Saturday I shot one at 300-310 yards down a pipeline sitting indian style. Got to love suppressors because you know when you hit them. I had to do all the rangefinding in the morning, I actually didn't think they were that far out until the next morning. Killing hogs is easy once you get the approximate lead down, then again I don't care where they get hit. If they get hit in the rear so be it, there will be another bullet to follow just seconds later.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/15/11 12:50 PM

Fork,
There's a pretty big difference between killing 6 hogs and 12, unless their hooves are tied and they're lined up before a firing squad.

In the field, the probability of each subsequent kill can best be modeled using regression analysis. I believe you'll find as time and distance increase, the success curve decreases inverse logarithmically. Your best chance of getting in a pic with 12 hogs is to go hunting with me! rofl

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/16/11 01:47 AM

Fork,
There's a pretty big difference between killing 6 hogs and 12, unless their hooves are tied and they're lined up before a firing squad.

In the field, the probability of each subsequent kill can best be modeled using regression analysis. I believe you'll find as time and distance increase, the success curve decreases inverse logarithmically. Your best chance of getting in a pic with 12 hogs is to go hunting with me! rofl

Lol, yeah I might have to take you up on the hunt with you. If I came up there and we did a competition I would leave you in the dust. banana There is a big difference in regional area you hunt. Those open areas are much easier and forgiving to hunt then these East TX pipelines.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/16/11 08:22 PM

FYI Killed two more with the 223 today

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/16/11 08:56 PM

Fork,
A lot of guys come out to the South Plains thinking they're going to shoot a round of golf in the 70s on our 'weak, wide open fairways' with an extra 50 yard roll on the hard pan. I tell them not to expect to make up for errant tee shots on the green.

And while you were posting, I went out and shot another 10 hogs rifle LINK

FireD - the rules are "no pic, no pig". I don't want you to get banned! lol444

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 12:35 AM

I will mail you their testicals and hearts ASAP!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 01:22 AM

FireD - Not necessary. I've just been informed that you are now grandfathered from the "no pic, no pig" rule also grin

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 12:27 PM

Fork,
A lot of guys come out to the South Plains thinking they're going to shoot a round of golf in the 70s on our 'weak, wide open fairways' with an extra 50 yard roll on the hard pan. I tell them not to expect to make up for errant tee shots on the green.

And while you were posting, I went out and shot another 10 hogs rifle LINK

FireD - the rules are "no pic, no pig". I don't want you to get banned! lol444

Exactly my point, it is easy to get them there in those open areas. Over here, not quite the case.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 01:22 PM

Wide open doesn't mean they're coveyed up or lined up left to right. They could be stretched out from 100 yards to a mile away. 5 seconds after the first shot they're over 200 yards away. All you see are aholes and elbows running away from you at 30 mph. In 10 seconds they're spots on the horizon. Now if they charge, that's a different story.

Hogs in my area know the deal. They aren't some dude ranch pets. They are always on the move, adapting to hunting pressure. When they come out to feed, their bags are packed because they know home is where ever I send them... the next county if they're lucky.

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 02:45 PM

More than enough, we killed 6 hogs with 223's this weekend!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 07:57 PM

i may be young but im a master i use a 12 gauge no chance for a charge there i do want an ar-15 in 7.62x39 or .223.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 09:21 PM

...So if you were faced with taking a 250 yard shot on a hog you guesstimate to weigh 300 lbs.

Would you take the shot with an AR-15 with conventional 55 gr ammo?

I'd much prefer a standard bullet to be 150grs or more...

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 11:02 PM

...So if you were faced with taking a 250 yard shot on a hog you guesstimate to weigh 300 lbs.

BB

No I would take my POF-415 .223 and the Hornady 75gr Superformance BTHP's (2930 FPS) I use every time and drop him in his tracks. Just like I did this one on the river bed last July. I don't need to make up for inaccuracy with heavy bullets. It's not hard to do with the right ammo.

Notice how the top of his skull is missing.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 11:06 PM

BB

250 is pushing it with a light bullet like that. With a larger weight bullet you can be effective if you are accurate. No lie a 308 is better but at ranges within 200 yards I wouldn't hesitate to use my AR but I can hold under 2" at 200 any day of the week too.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/17/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: West Fork Armory

BB

No I would take my POF-415 .223 and the Hornady 75gr Superformance BTHP's (2930 FPS)

I think you bring up a good point in that alot of times this question comes up BUT the ammo is overlooked in the response. I would think the MAJORITY of AR15'ers are using 55 or 63gr ammo...

How much does that 75 gr ammo cost at the store?

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 02:46 AM

BB

No I would take my POF-415 .223 and the Hornady 75gr Superformance BTHP's (2930 FPS)

I think you bring up a good point in that alot of times this question comes up BUT the ammo is overlooked in the response. I would think the MAJORITY of AR15'ers are using 55 or 63gr ammo...

How much does that 75 gr ammo cost at the store?

BB

Under $22.00/box of 20, at least thats what I sell it for, same price as mid quality 308 ammo, usually less. Using FMJ 55gr or 62gr ammo is like bowhunting without a broadhead. It just doesn't make sense. Use a good bullet and get to carry a much lighter weapon system.

Posted By: furdown

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:41 AM

Shot placement is never a guarantee and is based on many things such as but not limited to:

Hunting terrain

Hunter's experience

Weather

Etc...

223 will not be effective if the mark is missed by 1/2, 1, 3 inches...

Im with Mr. Djones, why why why why risk it, for both you and the animals sake.

Could you imagine the video if that animal had charged that guy.

BB

If shot placement is never a guarantee then its time to put up the gun and quit hunting. I KNOW I can put the bullet where I want it or I DONT shoot.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 01:54 PM

That's a good hog up there, taken by an equally good shot. The muzzle velocity for a 75gr 223 bullet is impressive. But to follow up on Matt's point, at 250 yards... how fast is it traveling, how much energy is left, what's the trajectory at that range, and what are the expansion characteristics at that distance (rhetorical questions).

No doubt you dropped him in his tracks and have a nice trophy to show for it, but what if he was running? Would you still have been able to hit him in the head? Would you have even slowed him down if it was just a body shot, or would you have passed on the opportunity if you couldn't quarantee an "ethical" kill?

I expect (more like hope) that every shot I take will hit a hog, but I guess I'm just not as good a shot as you guys when the other 25 hogs start running. Nor do I possess y'alls conviction to simply put up the gun and quit shooting if I can't quarantee the shot placement. Nope, as for me, I'll take the big gun and compensate for my crappy hunting ability.

ps - i love these threads! up

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 02:55 PM

I don't think a .223 would support my newest toy....

Arrives tomorrow!

I know that West Fork sells these, plug for him as a forum seller.

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:17 PM

These threads always get interesting. As far as shooting hogs running with a .223, I think these pictures speak for themselves. As far as velocity at 250 yards, I don't that info. But I know they are still moving 2240 FPS at 300 yards and are way over supersonic past 500 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a lot of practice shooting quickly. Here is a video of me on the US Navy SRT team 3 years ago. Lot of good times there, and a lot of ammo spent. Wish we would have had better video on our phones back then.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:45 PM

I can't believe this is still going.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:48 PM

It will die at page 7, thats my bet

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:51 PM

I hear those guys on the video post in post #1 are planning a hunting trip here in Texas. If you hear 8 shots you know they have downed 1 pig with a .223.

There that should get us to page 7...

wink

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:53 PM

@ West Fork,

Got any photos of the shooter mounting the AR15 with that Pulsar unit, I am wondering where the shooters head has to be when shooting...

Is there eye relief since it is a vid screen as opposed to an optic.

BB

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:54 PM

Oh geez, here we go...

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 03:54 PM

I might have to sit the rest of this one out. Then again I know Djones will fire me up again.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 04:08 PM

benny,
flint uses the pulsar 550 on a 223. not sure how comfortable it is regarding cheek weld and eye relief, but he sure can throw out the lead. sometimes i shoot at the same hog as him so he can actually see one drop. rofl

fork,
the only way to settle this may be to hunt together, but until then...

No doubt you've fired a few shots. I think you could have had a more "adrenalin pumping" range session if you could have rigged the target to come at you simulating an attacker! but good shooting at a stationary silhouette 15 yards away grin .

What I'd really like to see is the vid of the running hogs getting shot in the ear at 300 yards popcorn

your serve stir

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 04:30 PM

I'm quite sure that given the opportunity to hunt open fields like you do up in North TX, I could beat 12 in a night no problem within a few time out. I've gotten 6 out a group of 10 in an opening no wider than 75 yards and with high grass every where. I just keep shooting and they keep dropping. A .223 with some 75 grain BTHP kills them. I shot one on Tuesday night at 270 - 280 yards free hand and dropped it. That was right after one of my hunting clients dropped and little 50 pounder. Then last Saturday I shot one at 300-310 yards down a pipeline sitting indian style. Got to love suppressors because you know when you hit them. I had to do all the rangefinding in the morning, I actually didn't think they were that far out until the next morning. Killing hogs is easy once you get the approximate lead down, then again I don't care where they get hit. If they get hit in the rear so be it, there will be another bullet to follow just seconds later.

Don't quit yet fork. We're just getting warmed up. Since I retired Killer, I don't have anyone to kick around anymore.

ps - benny, can't wait to see your new rig in action!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 07:37 PM

@ West Fork,

Got any photos of the shooter mounting the AR15 with that Pulsar unit, I am wondering where the shooters head has to be when shooting...

Is there eye relief since it is a vid screen as opposed to an optic.

BB

I'll try to get some pics for you soon. As far video for Djones, I'll have to try out one of these Digisights this week and see if I can get a video of a long range shot.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 07:38 PM

So Killer dropped out huh? That is surprising!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 09:11 PM

Didn't you hear? He went out for a beer and hasn't been heard from since.

If he returns looking to punch someone in the throat, you didn't get this pic from me!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 09:22 PM

^^^ OH Dang..... ^^^

Hey Djones,

I did some research and apparently it isn't that hard to hit a hog in the earhole on a dead sprint at 300 yards, regardless of caliber IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

Trick is you have to call your shot before squeezing the trigger "similar to Eight Ball side pocket" BUT you also must do the hand gesture! Like The Babe

You can thank me later over a beer with ... uh nevermind.

cheers

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 09:42 PM

I sent fork's pic to the lab and found out some very interesting details he seems to have left out. This should shed some light on how he hit those "running" hogs.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 10:14 PM

you guys crack me up. At least I took the collars off before the pics.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 10:14 PM

Damn Djones -

When your comedy tour comes rolling through the metroplex let me know, I can't wait for WF's and Killer's comebacks.

It is getting Muy Caliente in here Boys...

Posted By: jcp3368

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 10:20 PM

This is highly entertaining !!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/18/11 10:48 PM

Djones, I'm starting to think with your photoshopping skills. You may be taking your pictures in a empty field! Are you cut and pasting my old dead hog pictures on to yours? rofl

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 01:21 PM

I would use your pics if your hogs were bigger grin.

We've got a way to go if this is going to make 7 pages. Perhaps it would be better to let it die before Killer returns and punches me in the throat.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 02:48 PM

Fork,
After weighing in on all the evidence, I now believe you may be the more dangerous pig hunter.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 02:51 PM

On a different note...Killer just checked in with this pov pic while vacationing at a friend's beach house.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 03:20 PM

Fork,
After weighing in on all the evidence, I now believe you may be the more dangerous pig hunter.

I might have to use that picture for my Facebook profile!

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 03:34 PM

I have been piling the hogs up for years with my .223! I have even shot doe.. So from my past 20+ hog experiances i would definitley say a 223 is a good hunting dog. Anyone who says any different is probably just not a good enough shot!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: E. TX Daddy
I have been piling the hogs up for years with my .223! I have even shot doe.. So from my past 20+ hog experiances i would definitley say a 223 is a good hunting dog. Anyone who says any different is probably just not a good enough shot!
This will add another page!

Posted By: David Maas

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 06:41 PM

I have shot them with everything from a 450 Marlin down to a 22lr, and with hogs there is no given. In 2001 I was charged by a 275lb boar, he made 2 passes at me, I side stepped both only because he had been ventilated by a 350gr chunk of lead, I shot him incoming between the eyes only to have a round rated at 3400 ft lbs of energy make a trough in his hide and crack his skull, luckily I got off one more good shot and he went down. I wasn't scared until it was all over and it sat in. Now I choose my shots wisely, and if I hunt them at night, I use the 450, only now it is loaded with a 450gr Barnes Solid FB. I don't try to kill them all, just the breeders that hit the feeder and pecan orchard on a regular basis.

I will shoot one with a .223 and a 55gr TSX, if the opportunity presents itself while predator hunting, but I am not going looking for that fight anytime soon.

Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: E. TX Daddy

it's true though. You can kill a hog consistently with a .22. It is all about where you put the shot. Hogs with my 17 would agree with me.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 07:00 PM

djones your freakin hillarious rofl

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 07:26 PM

...updated pov from Killer... bolt

Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/19/11 08:47 PM

Well.... At least someone has a good view of the beach?

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/20/11 02:04 AM

eeks333 rofl

Posted By: Vern1

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/20/11 12:42 PM

Greetings,
Fork,

If'n I wuz a hog and saw that, I would just lay down and give up....even if he was packin a BB gun!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/21/11 02:15 PM

I don't think a .223 would support my newest toy....

Arrives tomorrow!

I know that West Fork sells these, plug for him as a forum seller.

BB

well???? popcorn

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/22/11 12:14 AM

I am in the blind right now with the Pulsar atop my FN-AR 308, I am capturing video tonight to demonstrate what poor shot placement with a larger bullet can do.

Just awaiting moving targets!

BTW DJ, I almost stayed in tonight for fear that Killer's buddy is on the prowl for new friends, I do believe the images you posted have effected me ...

wink

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/22/11 02:00 PM

If you do your part with a 223 round you will have a dead piggy.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/24/11 11:29 PM

I am in the blind right now with the Pulsar atop my FN-AR 308, I am capturing video tonight to demonstrate what poor shot placement with a larger bullet can do.

Just awaiting moving targets!

BTW DJ, I almost stayed in tonight for fear that Killer's buddy is on the prowl for new friends, I do believe the images you posted have effected me ...

wink

You get any video yet? I'm still getting mine all setup.

Posted By: SLT

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 12:52 AM

The .308 is for old men who cant shoot accurately so they have to use a bigger bullet to increase their chances. A .223 is a mans gun! Hey DJ how long have you a Richard Simmons been "hunting" together ?? rofl slinger

Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 01:57 AM

Courtesy of a 223ai and 75gr SS2's @3k. Perfect rotisserie size.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SLT
The .308 is for old men who cant shoot accurately so they have to use a bigger bullet to increase their chances. rofl slinger
mad

A .223 is a mans gun! rofl slinger
madmad

Hey DJ how long have you a Richard Simmons been "hunting" together ?? rofl slinger
madmadmadmadmad flame

As soon as I find a pic of you I'm gonna get you for that! duel

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 03:28 PM

rofl I figured that would get you all worked up !!! Anytime we all get the chance to poke at a legend like yourself we have to jump on it. bolt

Posted By: Scattered Shot Outfitters

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 05:11 PM

Talk about a hog not wanting to go to the light... I've never killed a hog, so i'm no expert. But it sure seems like it took this guy a long time to get him to quit kicking

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 05:22 PM

@ shattered - you will have some say that the hog was dead but that the nerves were still firing. Its hard to tell in the video if the animal was still breathing or grunting.

A clean kill is always the goal but every hog is different.

The only exact science would be to have Richard Simmons perform an autopsy using candles and lotions.

Ewwwwwwww smile

@ West Fork -

I got video, unfortunately the hogs are not in it as they decided to roam elsewhere, I am super bummed but hey that's hunting.

I plan to post a vid apart from this thread sometime this week, I learned a lot about the scopes capability and function.

BB

Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/25/11 09:06 PM

A .223 is a mans gun!

So if thats the case, why is it that "real men" must use a 300 mag to shoot little bitty deer and some states don't allow anything less than a 243 for legal game?

popcorn

Posted By: Texas Forever

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 01:33 AM

My friend has kills lot's of hogs with a .22 Mag.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 01:49 AM

Call Iraq and ask the men fighthing for our country what they carry to shoot the enemy with. Anyone who has to shoot a little deer with a .300 has something else to prove. I think its safe to say that any type of projectile "can" kill a animal or human. How many rocks from a sling shot have killed people.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 02:11 AM

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: stxhunter
A .223 is a mans gun!

So if thats the case, why is it that "real men" must use a 300 mag to shoot little bitty deer and some states don't allow anything less than a 243 for legal game?

popcorn

You can "fix" STUPID......so they won't have kids
and
TEXAS NOT INCLUDED!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 12:43 PM

Lmao !

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 01:41 PM

Nice hogs there Van. I bet your kid was strutting like a peacock!

Posted By: East

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 01:45 PM

I just spit my coke all over my screen when I saw this. That sir is halarious

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 02:41 PM

If you thought that was good, you'll love this. I just hope I get a warning first instead of going straight to ban camp.

This thread may make 7 pages after all!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 03:06 PM

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, LMAO. Man if that doesnt get you a warning I dont know what will. Classic

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 04:26 PM

lol, wow. This thread may become epic! I think we have 7 pages covered soon.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 04:27 PM

And Vanguard, your a sniper with that .22 Hornet!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 04:46 PM

That vid might be even funnier if there was a Hannibal Lecter mask on him!!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 05:09 PM

That vid might be even funnier if there was a Hannibal Lecter mask on him!!!
Oh Great, Djones your dangerous with Adobe programs!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 05:12 PM

The only thing missing in this thread is TXKiller, where the heck is he?

I like a guy to know when his chain is being yanked...

partyon555

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 07:16 PM

Be careful summoning the Killer. There is a reason he has that name.

Fork, I'd better lay low for a while. What goes around comes around and I'm sure someone here can put bushy eyebrows on that video clip eeks333

Posted By: garrettd

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 07:57 PM

I think van proves it any round can and will kill a pig as long as the man behind the gun can put a good shot on it

Posted By: Big A

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 08:36 PM

This is the best facts list I have ever seen rofl ......Djones you are the man...For Halloween I want to go as djones I will start working on the brows tonight.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/26/11 11:29 PM

I tried going as Jimmy Johnson one year, mimicking "The Hair"...

It was a disaster!

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

texas

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 12:33 AM

Wow !!!! Nice update on the pic !!!

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 02:40 AM

Kiss my djones.

My trip to west Texas will have to be soon..........

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Big A
...For Halloween I want to go as djones I will start working on the brows tonight.
Don't forget pics!!!

Originally Posted By: Txkiller
Kiss my djones.

My trip to west Texas will have to be soon..........
bolt

Better hurry. Once rifle season opens hog hunting will slow down.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Big A

This is the best facts list I have ever seen rofl ......Djones you are the man...For Halloween I want to go as djones I will start working on the brows tonight.

29.If you work in an office with Djones, don't ask him for his three-hole-punch.

eeks333I want to know what happens.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 02:27 PM

Jones you need to post that in the off topic, thats great

Posted By: Bluegoose

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/27/11 04:25 PM

I'll help get this to 7 pages for djones....

To answer the OP, YES a .223 will kill a hog as will any cartridge out there

To the people who want to know why someone would hunt with a .223... as long as I can do this with it I will hunt with it

djones is right tho... once those bastages start running especially at night, the .223 is not an optimal round

P.S. the 100 facts about djones = epic and he is the master of photoshop

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluegoose

To the people who want to know why someone would hunt with a .223... as long as I can do this with it I will hunt with it

djones is right tho... once those bastages start running especially at night, the .223 is not an optimal round

Thats some good shooting!

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 07:38 PM

I have killed at least 40 pigs with my .17hmr. If you put it right behind the ear they go down every time. You do not need a big gun to kill a hog. Most of the time when I am riding around filling feeders all I have is a .22 and that will kill them with proper shot placement.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: CPO
... all I have is a .22 and that will kill them with proper shot placement.

x 1,000 up

I have killed over 1,000 in the last two weeks with a claw hammer. Just drive right up along side them and bury it behind the ole ear.

It's all about location, location, location!!!

I've just about worn the claws down to nubs.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: CPO
... all I have is a .22 and that will kill them with proper shot placement.

x 1,000 up

It's all about location, location, location!!!

that is the difference between peeing in the pool and peeing into the pool

and welcome to page 7 djones... well done

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:25 PM

Just to keep this goin i wanted to ad somemore ha.....I can understand these small calibers just while blind hunting...but what happens when u get in a close quarterd situation and you got a 200lb+ boar way to close or charging? Exact shot placement gets a little fuzzy when your heart is rushing and when that one shot needs to count....you still wana be holding a small caliber then? stray a few inches in any direction and things could get ugly...

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:36 PM

All day long!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:36 PM

Thanks! I always seem to throw 1 shot tho

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:43 PM

Thanks! I always seem to throw 1 shot tho

As long as you dont tell us you were aiming for the middle target !!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:46 PM

haha well I was on the middle group... I have it set 1.5" high at 100yds

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
I can understand these small calibers just while blind hunting...but what happens when u get in a close quarterd situation and you got a 200lb+ boar way to close or charging?

Well according to the guy on American Hoggers, "them hogs will eat ya up, eat ya up dead is what they do and when they done with ya they eat up someone else... Shoot thats what they hogs do."

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 10:02 PM

Goose,
That's pretty good shootin there, but I found this target you left at the range. It looks like your group opened up a little when you moved back to 25 yards. Guess that wind plays hell on those little bullets. peep

Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 10:36 PM

Goose,
That's pretty good shootin there, but I found this target you left at the range. It looks like your group opened up a little when you moved back to 25 yards. Guess that wind plays hell on those little bullets. peep
rofl

Posted By: Ryan F.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 10:40 PM

Just to keep this goin i wanted to ad somemore ha.....I can understand these small calibers just while blind hunting...but what happens when u get in a close quarterd situation and you got a 200lb+ boar way to close or charging? Exact shot placement gets a little fuzzy when your heart is rushing and when that one shot needs to count....you still wana be holding a small caliber then? stray a few inches in any direction and things could get ugly...
With a hog bearing down on me and charging, I would much rather have a semi-auto .223 than a big ol' bolt action 30-06 any day. I'm still new to hog hunting but it seems the biggest argument is that a .223 won't take down a moving hog without a good shot. Who needs a good shot when you can unload 20 rounds into a hog in a matter of seconds?

Posted By: SATX

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 10:56 PM

Pushing for page 8....

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/28/11 11:19 PM

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 01:58 AM

Careful with rapid fire in a standing position on a charging hog, you don't want to end up like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QK8zagyvhE

For those shooting a 223 an event such as this was constitute a "double fail".

stir

Posted By: Retired Sgt. Gilliam

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 01:48 PM

Answer...Yes

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: KeithTT
Goose,
rofl

rofl haha that was my 10yd target

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 02:33 PM

I being retired Army trust the .223. thats why I own 1 . I have killed men, and animals with my 223. A hog was my last kill with it. I do own other more powerful weapons but rely on my 223. most of the time. Love you man but 223 all the way. Next time I go I am using 5.56 steel core penetrator bullet to test it on hogs. It is what the Army uses. Take care my friend

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan F.
With a hog bearing down on me and charging, I would much rather have a semi-auto .223 than a big ol' bolt action 30-06 any day. I'm still new to hog hunting but it seems the biggest argument is that a .223 won't take down a moving hog without a good shot. Who needs a good shot when you can unload 20 rounds into a hog in a matter of seconds?

? or a lever action 35remy...then just one shot will do...save you ammo

Posted By: bw94

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 03:04 PM

Were do you get the steel core penetrators at?

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 03:15 PM

you can buy them anywhere. Academy has them. But I buy mine from cheaper than dirt. Armor piercing rounds.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 05:48 PM

So wouldn't you say that it all depends on shot placement with any caliber in this senario?

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 06:15 PM

yes

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bw94
Were do you get the steel core penetrators at?

We have them. The one's at Academy are marked "Not for Duty Use". The ones we are selling meet the correct specs.

http://www.westforkarmory.com/fed-xm855lcac1-556nato855155662420.html

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 08:30 PM

Sarge, you are the ultimate predator. Even though I'd classify people as thin skinned animals, I have no experience here and humbly take a back seat.

Ryan, I HAVE had hogs charging me (see LINK). They were out there a ways when we opened up on them and some ran straight towards us. They don't offer quite as much to shoot at when running head on. You can spray a lot of lead at them, but that doesn't mean you’re going to hit anything. My gun was on a tripod which prevented me from lowering the barrel far enough to stay on target when they got close. I hefted the gun off the tripod, but there was no time to shoulder it. By then, they were too close to use the scope anyway. I sprayed the rest of the mag holding from the hip.

This doesn’t even compare to Sarge’s experiences where the enemy is shooting at you. Still, when you can see hogs coming with the naked eye, the pucker factor goes through the roof. I may have started that fight, but I still feel my 308 saved my life that night.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/29/11 10:42 PM

DJONES: YOU ARE PROBALY RIGHT about your 308. it is a better rifle for pigs. But I use the same weapon for everything now due to expierence with it. I have seen people with an AK-47 shoot a pig more than 4 times and it was still moving. So basically you take your chances when your out fighting hogs. As for me I have my skinning knife on me, 210 rounds of ammo, and a gerber machette which is more like a sword and saw. I wear a my M.p. vest with all this on it and 2 other flash lights and compass and,,etc. If the hog got to close he would find my machette at work. Check out the Gerber machette and you will know what I mean. But you DJONES are a force to be reconned with. I would have you on my combat team anytime....
Sarge, you are the ultimate predator. Even though I'd classify people as thin skinned animals, I have no experience here and humbly take a back seat.

Ryan, I HAVE had hogs charging me (see LINK). They were out there a ways when we opened up on them and some ran straight towards us. They don't offer quite as much to shoot at when running head on. You can spray a lot of lead at them, but that doesn't mean you’re going to hit anything. My gun was on a tripod which prevented me from lowering the barrel far enough to stay on target when they got close. I hefted the gun off the tripod, but there was no time to shoulder it. By then, they were too close to use the scope anyway. I sprayed the rest of the mag holding from the hip.

This doesn’t even compare to Sarge’s experiences where the enemy is shooting at you. Still, when you can see hogs coming with the naked eye, the pucker factor goes through the roof. I may have started that fight, but I still feel my 308 saved my life that night.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 12:51 AM

Did you read what I wrote? I said I would much rather have a semi-auto .223 then a bolt action 30-06. I completely agree that a semi-auto 308 is a better gun for the purpose than a .223 but to say that a .223 can't do the job is absurd. I know I'm new and I shouldn't be calling out the regulars but seriously, it saved your life??? Come on now.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 03:16 AM

Ryan,
Yes I read your post. I wasn’t trying to be argumentative as much as I was just trying to point out that even if you can unload 20 rounds into a hog in a matter of seconds, you still need at least one of them to be a good shot - regardless of the caliber. However, I too would prefer a semi-auto .223 over a bolt action anything under the circumstances I described.

Perhaps I can’t say my gun saved my life, but with a couple of hogs running at me at 30 mph and pushing 200 pounds each, I’m pretty certain it wouldn’t have been pleasant if they scattered us like bowling pins. If you haven’t had a hog die like that 6 steps away from you, it's not likely you can imagine what it feels like by simply reading about it. If you are one of the people that have had to kill a hog virtually at your feet, then you get to say whatever you want about how it felt.

One problem about my posts is that you never know when to multiply my remarks by .5 because I'm full of crap half the time. I joke about the 223 because I enjoy the humor in these threads. Another problem with my posts is that I tease a lot. Guys that take this stuff seriously aren't sure how to take that.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 03:36 AM

I hear ya loud and clear. Just wasn't quite sure what point you were trying to make. I haven't had to shoot a hog that close to me so I can't say for sure what it would be like. From the sound of it you know what you are doing when it comes to hogs. I won't question that. All I know is that I am completely comfortable shooting at a hog with a 223. Biggest reason I bought one was because ammo is so cheap and readily available. That's a big thing to a college student on a budget like myself. I just don't understand why anyone pokes fun at someone who shoots a 223. I guess I just don't see the humor in it.

Posted By: Mason

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 03:48 AM

Let's compare wound channels if we both get some Friday! Bet they both drop at the same time though on account of a bullet through the ear hole... Haha rifle

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 03:55 AM

I understand completely. We're all on a budget, just not the same one, but a firearm purchase is a big deal to everyone.

The humor goes back a ways. This is at least the 5th or 6th post about this topic and my involvement in this particular thread, as far as I can recall without re-reading it, is playing on the irony that "it depends" - on many things, most of which have been discussed.

I'm sorry if anyone has taken offense or feels they have been made fun of (except for the ones who deserve it grin).

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Mason
Let's compare wound channels if we both get some Friday! Bet they both drop at the same time though on account of a bullet through the ear hole... Haha rifle
Yes!! Definitely. rifle

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:58 AM

I understand completely. We're all on a budget, just not the same one, but a firearm purchase is a big deal to everyone.

The humor goes back a ways. This is at least the 5th or 6th post about this topic and my involvement in this particular thread, as far as I can recall without re-reading it, is playing on the irony that "it depends" - on many things, most of which have been discussed.

I'm sorry if anyone has taken offense or feels they have been made fun of (except for the ones who deserve it grin).
No offense taken. Just thought I would give my 2cents

Posted By: KC

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 06:23 AM

They all take a back seat to the 7.62x39. Just sayin...

Posted By: 100%TEXAN

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KC
They all take a back seat to the 7.62x39. Just sayin...

rofl

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 03:56 PM

If we are going to entertain the 7.62x39 users we may as well let the 6.8 SPC'ers come aboard as well.

Lets try and keep this simple, tiny bullets vrs BIG bullets

bolt

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:27 PM

My FAL may tear em a new one but this is just grand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8_4b3ldhg

Skip to 2:04 after the first few seconds. Lol.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:28 PM

Also, who cares as long as you can get 'em to drop? 22-250 or .50 beowulf, they both have kills. Use whatcha got.

Posted By:

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:34 PM

djones, I get your sense of humor. From what I have read of your posts, you and I have similiar senses of humor. My posts sre often mis0interpreted as well because I often forget about the use of smilies to illustrate that I'm just teasing.

As for the debate on the .223, I built me an AR in 6x45 as a dual purpose coyote/hog rifle. I use an 85gr Nosler Partition for hogs and a 70gr Sierra Blitz King for coyotes. Good stuff both ways.

Chupa

Posted By: bigtex46

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 04:36 PM

Well the great debate is finally over!! Its final, I just saw them killing pigs with 223 thompson pistol on the outdoor channel. If its on the outdoor channel its official!!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/30/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy
djones, I get your sense of humor.
Whew! for a minute I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought I was funny. Now there are at least two of us!

Originally Posted By: bigtex46
Well the great debate is finally over!!
Since this debate is over, perhaps you can tell me if you can catch a hog with a dog. I saw this really cool show called American Hoggers, but not sure if it's real or fake. Has anyone seen it? popcorn

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 12:46 AM

Fake.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 01:39 AM

So, I went hog hunting with my trusty AR in .223 this afternoon and only saw 9 does, one spike, one small Easterbasket 6 point, a hoss of an 8 point and a bunch of squirrels at sons feeder but no pigs....so I couldn't test it out again....I bet his gamecam has some nice pics tho and I was wishing I had my digicam!

As for the sense of humor: If it ain't fun, why bother?

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 03:01 AM

I have heard of that...even used to have a pack of the so called "hog dogs". I ended up with a pen full of the wild beast, but Im not sure if the dogs caught them or they were so amused at the fact that we were dumb enough to think a lil' ole pack of dogs could accomplish the task that they simply had to lay down due to laughing so hard they could no longer continue.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 01:39 PM

If I got some hog dogs, can they learn how to catch hogs from watching the show?

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 01:51 PM

heres a vid wit da hornet, aka killer of giants.
on the first kill youll notice i shot the second in line, only cause the first has a bad eye, had seen him several times before and just felt like giving him the pass.

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 01:54 PM

I would have to say yes definitly. If kids learn to be punks from video games, then surely dogs can learn from that show. It seems to me it should be as effective, if not more so than in feild experience.I mean they would be learnig from the real hog masters ya know..... stir

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 02:47 PM

If I got some hog dogs, can they learn how to catch hogs from watching the show?

rofl But on a serious note have you ever been with dogs? Its a rush

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by vanguard
heres a vid wit da hornet, aka killer of giants.
on the first kill youll notice i shot the second in line, only cause the first has a bad eye, had seen him several times before and just felt like giving him the pass.

Good shootin'!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 03:29 PM

Vanguard for teh winz!
I love the part about finding another bullet while you hear scratching around in the audio, then saying he don't feel like cleaning two tonight! Also like how they don't run off after the shot.

Dangit, still on page 8!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 08:18 PM

But on a serious note have you ever been with dogs? Its a rush
I guess I've been with one or two dogs before, but probably not as bad as the ones M Bennett has woken up with. rofl

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 09:02 PM

I guess I've been with one or two dogs before, but probably not as bad as the ones M Bennett has woken up with. rofl

Man, that's cold right there!

Re: Is a 223 enough to kill a hog? - 10/31/11 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1

Man, that's cold right there!

rofl guess i coulda worded that a lil better.....hahahahaha

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum