Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Take Water #98 08/29/04 08:48 PM
Bradbury Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Remember your 4 legged hunting companion this early in the season. Take some water and keep him cool. Lots of dogs go down this time of year due to heat.

I carry an emergency vet kit. I can give stitches if needed, pull a thorn out, and also boost his blood sugar with ease. The most important thing is take some water. If it gets too hot, then let the dog drink some water, pour some on him and put him in the kennel in the shade, hopefully he can get a breeze. Keep his body temp low.

Remember they cannot tell us if they feel bad.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Take Water [Re: Bradbury] #99 08/30/04 02:26 AM
L
larrywoodson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
i have a 6 year old black lab(his name is shotgun) that has been sitting on the couch since the end of duck season. well he and i started running track(mostly walking) to get us in shape for dove.i allways carry 5 gallons of water. one thing i do need is a first aid kit for him.

steve, what would you recomend for dog booties. the rubber or neoprme. we have one field behind camp that is full of stickers.

Re: Take Water [Re: larrywoodson] #100 08/30/04 02:29 AM
Bradbury Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
If it is just stickers or grass burrs, i would go with neoprene personally. Though they may not last as long as rubber ones.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Take Water [Re: Bradbury] #101 08/30/04 07:02 PM
bankrunner Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When I hunt dove I carry enough water to let mine drink, plus some I can pour on her back to help her cool down. When water is near, I will let her swim to help keep her cool. After all, she is doing the work for me, and I need to be able to respond to her when she needs coolin off. Excellent point Steve!

Re: Take Water [Re: bankrunner] #102 09/02/04 02:11 PM
B
bluewavemike Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I find some shade to hide in the shadows in anyway .Get them a bowl with plenty of water ! I also carry water bottles with the pop up lids .That way you can alway give them alittle water .

MD Smith >>>-----> You gota kill it before you grill it
Re: Take Water [Re: Bradbury] #103 09/09/04 06:24 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Have nothing to say. Just wanted everyone to see what a beautiful Golden I have!!!

Gunslinger

"Since hunting is a sport, I guess that makes us athletes"

Re: Take Water [Re: Gunslinger] #104 09/15/04 04:04 AM
S
Sundial Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I have seen guys keep a large block of ice in the truck dog box so the dog can lay next to it, and carry it into the field for the dog. They will keep cooler this way.

My understanding is, if a dog overheats or becomes dehydrated, even a little, it's saliva become thick and will adhere to grass, feathers and just about anything else, so the dog becomes less interested in the whole affair. We offer the dogs water every 15 minutes or so, or everytime they make a retrieve.

Re: Take Water [Re: Bradbury] #105 09/16/04 06:16 PM
G
Gunslinger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Need some help fellas. I can't keep my Golden from drinking pond/stock tank water. I don't usually mind if the water looks clear and has some creeks flowing through. However, on my dove lease, the stock tanks are just plumb nasty! Very stagnant water with a disgusting film covering the surface. Even though I always offer plenty of fresh water, she still likes to lap up water from the tanks. Any ideas? Should I even be concerned with her drinking this nasty stuff? Thanks in advance for the help...

Gunslinger

"Since hunting is a sport, I guess that makes us athletes"

Re: Take Water [Re: Gunslinger] #106 09/16/04 07:32 PM
Bradbury Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I do not know, as long as she is up on heartworm medicine and other shots, I do not think so....however, in the summer there is a virus that kills humans, have not heard of it this year, but did last year. It grows in hot stagnet water.

I give my dog a drink after each retrieve, but cannot understand why later all he wants do do is stick his paw in it and splash it. Any ideas??

Re: Take Water [Re: Bradbury] #107 09/18/04 01:41 AM
D
dogman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
hey you guys,
sometimes when dogs are panting they aren't thirsty, they are just needing more air. if they won't drink and just splashing they are trying to cool down. if you suspect heat exhaustion followed by heat stroke is coming on {wobbly when walking, eyes dialated etc.} get them to your truck and turn on the ac as soon as you can. make several ice packs in a towel or gallon size baggie and apply to the head, neck and stomach. the neck is the most important because the larger arteries and veins are closest to the skin there: the ice will cool the blood faster and transfer it to the rest of the body during circulation. we've been lucky this year with enough rain at intervals to keep the ponds cooler than usual during a hot summer the water temp. at the surface is usually to hot to have a desired cooling effect for your dog. best thing is to be prepared for heat exhaustion. if heat exhaustion happens to your dog call your vet. for his suggestions and don't hunt him for sevseral days to give him a chance to recoup.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide