Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Luv2Hunt] #957745 10/12/09 05:24 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Luv2Hunt
I just bought a 308 rifle and saw this posting. I'm going to try and line up several hogs or at least two so that the bullet will hopefully pass through one and hit the other resulting in two kills.

Question: Which style bullet will best do this...possibly a full metal jacket bullet or what. Please tell me and I'll get loaded for hogs.

I've done it with my '06 and Federal Fusion ammo.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Reggie] #958973 10/13/09 01:57 AM
B
Bo Hunter Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I just moved to Euless from Mi. Would like to take my sons on a pig hunt eather crossbow or rifle. How would one go about finding a place to hunt pigs without payin an arm n a leg?

I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Bo Hunter] #960767 10/13/09 09:10 PM
T
TxAggie10 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Thank you Ranch Dog....i now understand the big boar thing a little better.

When its time to harvest sorghum in central texas (comanche county particularly), me and my buddies spend every waking minute following the choppers. Theres 1 chopping company out of Energy in the area....we know the owner so we go where they go.

The local farmers will come out when the choppers show up. We ask if we can shoot hogs that run out of the sorghum...and we have never been turned down. We're usually told to kill everything except deer. We've killed coyotes, bobcats, skunks, coons, possums, and all colors of hogs.

One guy was cutting sorghum to bale it....didn't know the guy. Whipped in his place, he stopped the tractor, and without another word he told us where he wanted us to sit and even offered ammo, water, food, and beer. Apparently we had a reputation in the area. The field was 25-30 acres. Sat there all day waiting for him to finish cutting sorghum. With about an acre left, 1 HUGE boar made a run for the trees. Dern thing stood about 3.5 ft high at the shoulders. No other hogs were spotted. The guy invited us back the next day for another field. Upon arriving at the field before the farmer, you could see the tops of the sorghum waving as the hogs went running to the other end of the field. The sorghum was 14 feet high. We walked 20 yards into the sorghum....found spots the size of a truck that the hogs had mowed down. This field was only 12-15 acres....90 hogs came out of this field. All sows and young 'uns. Ironically this field was 75 yards across a creek from the first field.

From Ranch Dog's post, i completely understand why now.

Texas A&M Association of Former Students
WH10P!
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Luv2Hunt] #965218 10/15/09 06:31 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Question: Which style bullet will best do this...possibly a full metal jacket bullet or what. Please tell me and I'll get loaded for hogs.

I scored a double with 150 gr Winchester X, the 1st was a headshot, so it was easy for the bullet to leave the 1st and hit the 2nd in the gut...

Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Tx_Phantom] #965724 10/15/09 08:58 PM
L
Luv2Hunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Just picked up my Savage 308. I bought two boxes of Federal Fusion in 150 grain. Can't wait to get it sighted in and then hunt the hogs. Oh, I can't wait.

Be kind with your words, thankful to your Creator and generous with the meat from your hunt.
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: catchrcall] #965744 10/15/09 09:02 PM
F
FM-Mark Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: catchrcall
why intentionally gut shoot anything? I'm not by any means a tree hugger, in fact I'm an avid dog hunter, and kill pigs all the time, but I'll never understand why somebody would intentionally gut shoot an animal, even a hog. If you don't want to deal with butchering, I got it. but at least end it quick.

I don't know how to get rid of all your hogs, but if you want to cut down on their numbers a lot, get in touch with a local trapper or dog hunter. (dog hunter if your place is big enough)

I completely agree. All these videos of people killing hogs in the worse ways on youtube really makes me angry. They make hunting look like a horrible sport, and does more to empower the anti-hunters than anything else.

Regardless of the animal, a quick and torture-free death is deserved.

Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Reggie] #965754 10/15/09 09:05 PM
F
FM-Mark Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: Reggie
Those who don't have hogs now will some have them. They are very destructive and should be shot on site. I have ask many landowers to allow me to kill them on there land. I truly understand when they say no thanks because they don't want a stranger on there property. In many cases they beg me a year later to come kill some hogs. I am here to tell you that the longer you wait the worst it will get. Hogs will eat anything and everything. Shot them when you see them and spare no one. A sow can have 3 litters a year. Kill them now are cry about it later.

LOL

But then again, I agree with the above too wink

man... conflicted !

Re: Damned pigs! [Re: FM-Mark] #966153 10/16/09 12:11 AM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I think you can agree with both posts and not be conflicted at all. I kill nearly every hog I get my hands on, unless I keep one for a day or two and then kill it. I don't practice catch and release on hogs. In fact, on some of the properties I hunt, if I got caught letting a hog go, it would most likely be the last time I was allowed to set foot on the place, let alone run my dogs.

I agree with killing hogs, as one of my landowners said," all shapes, all sizes, boars,sows everything." I just think that purposely gut shooting them is the wrong answer.

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: FM-Mark] #966205 10/16/09 12:36 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
[quote=FM-Mark)

Regardless of the animal, a quick and torture-free death is deserved. [/quote]

I would have to disagree on that last one. I know of several human (or inhuman if you prefer) animals that I could let die slow with no remorse.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: passthru] #966232 10/16/09 12:47 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: passthru
[quote=FM-Mark)

Regardless of the animal, a quick and torture-free death is deserved.

I would have to disagree on that last one. I know of several human (or inhuman if you prefer) animals that I could let die slow with no remorse.

[/quote]

yelp me to yotes and pigs

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Reggie] #973182 10/19/09 11:01 PM
I
Iowahunter08 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
I would love to come kill them for you me and my dad are looking for somwhere to go hog hunting this fall or winter

If its Brown its Down!
Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Reggie] #973506 10/20/09 01:19 AM
J
jbs8307 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I hate hogs during deer season and love em in the spring. They give me and my buddies somethin to do after the season is over. We thought they were gone after the dry summer. Not a single sighting or sign anywhere form april to september. They usually move off the property towards the trinity river when its dry. We even stopped feeding the feeders year round. As soon as the corn started flowing they were everywhere. The body count is already at 11 and counting.

Re: Damned pigs! [Re: Luv2Hunt] #974613 10/20/09 02:40 PM
T
Tx_Phantom Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Just picked up my Savage 308. I bought two boxes of Federal Fusion in 150 grain. Can't wait to get it sighted in and then hunt the hogs. Oh, I can't wait.

You are going to love that Savage... Make sure you give her a girls name.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide