Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deer Judging Background #962468 10/14/09 02:18 PM
D
da.wells Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I have been looking at photos of deer people need aged.
That got me to thinking. What makes you a good judge of age
is this what you do as a job, or do you just look at pics, and others opinions then agree. So basically what i am asking is are the age judges knowledgable or talking out their butt.
I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just want to know some of these people's background.

Last edited by da.wells; 10/14/09 02:18 PM.

Allen Wells
East Fork Hunting Supplies
832-492-3712
www.eastforkhuntingsupplies.com
"when the tailgate drops the bull crap stops"
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: da.wells] #962473 10/14/09 02:20 PM
56txoval Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I think some are guessing and some are actually using guidelines based on experience.

Last edited by 56txoval; 10/14/09 02:20 PM.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: 56txoval] #962511 10/14/09 02:34 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
i would doubt if anyone here had any professional back ground, this is a forum of opinion, when you ask for age and score you get those opinions, a lot of us have hunted all our lives and looked at a million deer in real life and in pictures here and other places, some people look at what others post and draw conclusions, and others look at the deer and post thoughts, I do not think anyone expects to be accurate to the 1/4 inch, but a lot of us can get pretty close from time to time

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: rstewlandman] #962534 10/14/09 02:42 PM
M
Moondog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
If you have looked at a lot of deer and KNOW what to look for you can get pretty close.

I find that photos are tough to judge because they only give you one view and sometimes the quality is poor, etc.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Moondog] #962597 10/14/09 03:10 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Lots of stand time helps. When I first started guiding I would look at the pics in Texas Trophy Hunter and try to get age and score before looking at the captions.

I also referred to (and still do) a book by Dave Richards & Al Brothers called Observing & Evaluating Whitetails which is a resource that I highly recommend.

Lotta guys on this forum are real good judges from what I've seen. At least they agree with me, so they gotta be right, right? roflmao

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: deerfeeder] #962645 10/14/09 03:32 PM
B
BYPATHofNIGHT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I've only been bow hunting 3 years, so I'm still learing. I like to take a guess as to what I believe the age is, then see if I'm close to what the more experienced hunters conclude. It helps me to look at my deer in the field with a more practiced eye, relating to age.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: BYPATHofNIGHT] #962726 10/14/09 04:24 PM
M
MogulRanch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
i would say you advance from reading books that talk simply about deer judging, watching dvds and reading magazines. second i would add that being an experienced hunter has advantages. lastly, if you have experience with people who have been hunting for many years and dont mind teaching you then that obviously has benefits.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: MogulRanch] #962742 10/14/09 04:34 PM
C
Calhoun Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I would like to think that having guided on a central texas ranch since 98 and being in the field as well as working with our State biologist I have a descent understanding of how to field judge a deer. Lot of it just has to do with spending the time and observing deer, after a while it becomes pretty obvious. It has been said though unless you have a birth certificate for a specific deer there is no real scientific method of knowing the difference in a year or two. Just my opinion.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: MogulRanch] #962743 10/14/09 04:34 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Got my PHD in on the hoof deer aging.

Actually, just have looked at tons of deer, whether in the stand, pictures, mounts, videos, books, online, whatever. All experience. I may not get every one right, but I'd say I get the majority spot on.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: deerfeeder] #962816 10/14/09 05:04 PM
T
Tres Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Lots of stand time helps. When I first started guiding I would look at the pics in Texas Trophy Hunter and try to get age and score before looking at the captions.

I also referred to (and still do) a book by Dave Richards & Al Brothers called Observing & Evaluating Whitetails which is a resource that I highly recommend.

Lotta guys on this forum are real good judges from what I've seen. At least they agree with me, so they gotta be right, right? roflmao

+1, and that is a good book.

[Linked Image]
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Tres] #962887 10/14/09 05:41 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Being able to see deer in ALL age classes really helps in aging deer on the hoof. Most places don't have deer that will be older than 4.5 unless its HF'ed. I have learned from Books(Mike Biggs)and watching deer on my ranch. We will see deer from 1.5-7.5 every year. You learn what to look for. There is no exact science.Even deers ages will look different from pre-rut, rut and post-rut.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Tye] #963021 10/14/09 06:42 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've got just over 40 deer seasons behind me. I didn't really get into the age thing until about 1990. Since then I've learned a lot. So far, I haven't made any bad mistakes on field guessing a buck's age. In fact, most I tend to miss on the low side. I'm basing that on my estimate of age vs what the biologist tells me from examining the deer's jaw.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: da.wells] #963030 10/14/09 06:47 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
My back ground is limited to TPW magazine and a seminar I went to, presented by QDMA. The way the QDMA guy explained it made it pretty simple. He compaired deer to humans, young deer like teenagers (healthy) are long legged and lean (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yo deer), (healthy) people in their 20's and 30's start putting on more muscle and fat an so do deer at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. As people start to get older 40s and 50s they start getting pot bellied, and fuller faced same with 4 yo and older deer once again... there's a little more to it but you can see where it's going.

I do pretty good I guess, because I always give my opinion before looking to see what others have said.

I STILL find it funny that 10 or 15 years ago only a game warden could age a deer and then only by looking at their teeth. Now days everybody is and expert!

Last edited by RICK O'SHAY; 10/14/09 06:49 PM.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Tres] #963074 10/14/09 07:09 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Tres
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

+1, and that is a good book.

That book is great, have my copy in hardback. As a matter of fact, my dad and uncles are mentioned in passing as the "hunting pressure" from neighboring leases somewhere in the intro. They hunted next to the Hindes ranch.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #963081 10/14/09 07:12 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

I STILL find it funny that 10 or 15 years ago only a game warden could age a deer and then only by looking at their teeth. Now days everybody is and expert!

The evolution of deer management. Even aging by tooth wear is not an exact science...

X2 on comparing deer body growth to humans growth.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Tye] #963093 10/14/09 07:15 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Comparing to human growth is good. Also, I think something that is overlooked in aging a deer is their FACE. A lot can be told by looking at a deers face.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #963117 10/14/09 07:23 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
There is no substitute for experience. I think you are right that there are a number of folks on this forun that talked out of their behinds. But when you ask for opinions, you are going to get exactly what you are paying for. Having the opportunity to learn from someone that knows what they are talking about helps get you going in the right direction. Being involved in making those age decisions and seeing the results of those decisions first hand is invaluable. For most, I doubt they are involved in guessing the age of a deer then taking the jaw out to age it more than a couple times a year. When you get to do this 40+ times a year, you tend to get pretty good at it. On score, I always tell my hunters, I dont do score. If he makes you grab your gun without hesitation he is the right one for you. In all of my age decisions(in the hundreds) I have only missed one. Called him 7 1/2 and he turned out to be 4 1/2. I am not saying I got the exact year right but whether he was mature(over 5 1/2) or not. As someone said earlier, pics can be very deceiving. Always view the deer on the hoof before making a final decision on age. The bottom line is to give it your best guess and then get the jaw out to see how you did. If you make a mistake, try and figure out where you went wrong. It is going to happen to everyone from time to time. This is not an exact science. We took a deer a few years back that was at least 5 1/2 by his body. Took out the jaw and it showed to be 3 1/2. I sent in the teeth to a lab for confirmation and they said 5 1/2. I guess he was living in the protein and not wearing out his teeth too much?? Who knows for sure.

Let'em grow old
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Justin T] #963120 10/14/09 07:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
only true way to learn is actually seeing mature deer on the hoof. I understand what Tye's talking about.. hunted with a few guys that would call 3.5 year old deer 4.5,5.5, 6.5 because they had never seen a true 5.5/6.5 mature deer.

More mature deer you see the better you get at it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: BOBO the Clown] #963150 10/14/09 07:32 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: jgiles
only true way to learn is actually seeing mature deer on the hoof. I understand what Tye's talking about.. hunted with a few guys that would call 3.5 year old deer 4.5,5.5, 6.5 because they had never seen a true 5.5/6.5 mature deer.

I couldnt agree more. A lot of people just dont have experience in viewing a truely mature deer, because in the area they hunt, deer that get past 3-4 years old go nocturnal, if any ever make it. Once you have spent some time actually looking at a mature deer, in the field, it goes a long way to being able to judge a deer. Books are great, i have several myself, one great one, and i cant remember the author, is about the life of deer. The author studied several ranches, and photographed deer for several years. It helps in not only aging a deer, but in horn growth as well.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: Justin T] #963169 10/14/09 07:38 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I was introduced to the subject when I started hunting 20 ys ago...but at 5, how much do you really take in. On the lease my dad was on..not properly aging a buck before pulling the trigger could be costly. Since then even the leases I have been on have been ran that way, with mistakes taking a large chunk out of the pocketbook. Now I just mainly hunt places that only require the 13" criteria, but still shoot based on age. Helped out a lot as well, being able to watch deer almost every day from the porch. My parents live on the back side of a big game preserve, and deer would show up in the fields when the feeders went off like clockwork, but all but a cpl over the years if seen during daylight hours were off limits. But it is a heck of a lot easier judging a deer in person than limited photos on here...and I suck past the 6.5 mark, just don't see many past that point running around in our area, but pretty sure there are some folks on here that have plenty past that point and are fairly accurate from 0-9.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: BOBO the Clown] #963176 10/14/09 07:39 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jgiles

A lot of people also want to believe a deer is 5.5 so they can shoot it and think they are shooting a mature deer. No one I hunt with goes out and says they want to shoot a 2.5 or 3.5 year old deer, but it can get very tempting when you are staring at a 3.5 year old, 140 class 10 pointer.

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: rifleman] #963179 10/14/09 07:41 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I was introduced to the subject when I started hunting 20 ys ago...but at 5, how much do you really take in. On the lease my dad was on..not properly aging a buck before pulling the trigger could be costly. Since then even the leases I have been on have been ran that way, with mistakes taking a large chunk out of the pocketbook. Now I just mainly hunt places that only require the 13" criteria, but still shoot based on age. Helped out a lot as well, being able to watch deer almost every day from the porch. My parents live on the back side of a big game preserve, and deer would show up in the fields when the feeders went off like clockwork, but all but a cpl over the years if seen during daylight hours were off limits. But it is a heck of a lot easier judging a deer in person than limited photos on here...and I suck past the 6.5 mark, just don't see many past that point running around in our area, but pretty sure there are some folks on here that have plenty past that point and are fairly accurate from 0-9.

I think past 6.5 is hard for almost anyone, even when jaw aging. How do you age a deer with missing teeth?! grin

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: rifleman] #963296 10/14/09 08:27 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I guess the important thing is that A LOT more people are trying to age deer and most can at least tell a if a deer is young. I grew up only counting points 8 pts... BOOM!

Still even today I do more "deer ageing" when they are laying in the back of a truck. But this forum is helping me (and others I'm sure) be more aware.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: da.wells] #963319 10/14/09 08:35 PM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
There is no subsitute for experince when it comes to ageing and estimating antlers!

There are a few on here that are really good at it, and there are also some that wouldnt know a 5.5 year old buck that scored 150" if it was carrying a sign that said so!

Re: Deer Judging Background [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #963321 10/14/09 08:35 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I raise deer so I just go by what I know from experience

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread