Page 1 of 2 1 2
Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? #950401 10/08/09 01:49 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What are the worst hunting conditions that you have suffered through to be out amongst them and hunting?

One time we went bowhunting in New Mexico in January. We were the last vehicle through on the interstate and they let us through only because we were driving a 4 wheel drive. There was 18 inches of snow on the ground. We were outside of Cuba, New Mexico hunting on a place that bordered the Jicarillo Indian Reservation. At night it got down to 15 below 0. Anything and everything liquid froze and that was inside the over 100 year old log cabin with mud in between the logs. We had down good bedrolls, or we would have frozen to death. We saw some really good deer, but staying on stand long enough to kill one with a bow would have been a miracle. Best thing about this trip is that it is a memory and not a plan to go again.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: BenBob] #950413 10/08/09 01:54 PM
280AI Offline
Tracker
Tracker
All day sit hunting whitetail in Alberta,Canada never got over -10.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: 280AI] #950423 10/08/09 01:59 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Staying at the trailer at Thompson Temples'

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: 7mag] #950442 10/08/09 02:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Pheasant hunting in the panhandle -15 with windchill

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: 7mag] #950460 10/08/09 02:16 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
It was our second year on a lease near Sweetwater. Wind chill was -50 and with no electricity in camp for heat, our trailers could not keep the cold out. At 11pm, we drove into Sweetwater and rented a motel room. Saturday the wind blew all day and the winds chills stayed close to zero. That night, the winds died down so we elected to spend the night in camp. The next morning we awoke to -3 degrees, but no wind. One guy sat on his tripod and shot two bucks that morning. Thankfully, it was 15 minutes after sunrise. He was about to climb down and go back to camp when three bucks came walking down a fence line.

While he cleaned his two deer, we kept a roaring fire and heated 2 pots of coffee for warmth. By 2pm, the temps were back into the 50's. Typical Texas weather.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: 7mag] #950462 10/08/09 02:16 PM
S
scott1071 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Worst for me is sitting at the top of a sandy/gravel draw when it was 16 degrees with a 30 - 40 mph gusts funneling right up through where I was sitting. Blowing so much dust I could only squint every so often and had to mostly keep my eyes shut. Also forgot my warm boots and had a 7 yr old with me who I had to try and keep from being completely miserable. My feet and my son only lasted a couple of hours.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: BenBob] #950463 10/08/09 02:16 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
i would have to say back in the late 90's we had some December temps reach around 90 I believe. I was on a week long hunt and only had insulated clothes. I was not prepared for that much heat. i love hunting in the cold, especially when its lightly snowing.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: exoticbob] #950485 10/08/09 02:29 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I don't mind hunting in the cold and hunted lots in the Pacific NW that were just brutal cold, damp, wet, rainy, blowing azz wind, but the 80 to 90 degrees with humidity and mosquitos kills me.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: tx_basser] #950489 10/08/09 02:32 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Cold and raining while I'm in my tripod.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Justin T] #950720 10/08/09 04:18 PM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
When we were about 16 years old . Five of us went hunting for 3 days in the cold and we only had a van to stay in .

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: texfork] #950761 10/08/09 04:41 PM
C
Clay Reid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I was hunting in the Graham hunt out at Guthrie texas and it was sleeting and snowing and i was sick and when I got in the truck it just made it worse so all night long I rode in the high rack shivering and a puking off the sides . being up for 30 hours straight didnt help anything . I didnt quit though by god .

3-time TEXAS COYOTE CALLING CHAMPION
FoxPro Field staff-Predator Division
New Mexico State Champion
Reserve World champion
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Clay Reid] #950769 10/08/09 04:46 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Any hot and humid weather is the worst for me.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Curly] #950928 10/08/09 05:53 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Wow! My worst hunting condition was very similar to Bob's. We were in the Carson National Forest just west of the Jicarillo Indian Reservation in far northern New Mexico. It was basically west of Dulce, further north of where Bob was. They had all these signs warning you that you were entering the wilderness and there were no services, nothing.

We got 15 miles in and just got camp set up when a blizzard struck. Snow blowing sideways around 40 mph. We woke up to about 2 feet of snow, a white out, bear tracks about 50 yards from camp.... and a dead battery on the truck. I had always taken a spare but decided not to this time because the battery was pretty new. I had a generator and a charger. Couldn't charge the battery, so I and the BIL take to walkin' our way out. Some guy picked us up and got us to the highway and we eventually made it into Dulce to get a battery.

Got a ride back to the wilderness turn off.... then hitched a ride in the back of a drunk azz indian's pickup down the mountain (what a ride). We got to our truck and discovered... chit, no acid in the battery.. they don't store them ready to go up there. I dumped the old acid from my old battery in the new one, charged it and got the truck started. This had taken all day and the high was around 5 degrees.

Anyway, we left the truck running, packed our stuff and left without ever frickin' huntin'.

That was a long time ago, but what an experience. Very cold, truck broke down, almost no one around and in the wilderness. I think I'm smarter now. grin

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: dfwroadkill] #951051 10/08/09 06:43 PM
D
DrPerry Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
A few years back my buddy came in from Kalifonia and brought his 9 yr old with him.

You'd have thought the boy and I were brothers the way we carried on.

I had to tell him the little Johnnie joke about the RAT.

I thought that he was going to split a gut.

Anyway we're sitting in the blind and he and his dad start trading farts.

Well dad was winning with a Scotch fart from he||

I had to stick my head out of the blind just so I could breathe.

Finally I just had to climb down and leave them to it.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: DrPerry] #951063 10/08/09 06:46 PM
M
MO5575 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
15-20 degree morning sitting in a hangon treestand, boots stuck to the stand...good weather for deer....bad for me

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: MO5575] #951200 10/08/09 07:41 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Last weekend. Hotand humid(heat index was 110), raining off and on, full moon, acorns everywhere and more green stuff than you can believe. That sucked eggs.

Let'em grow old
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: rtp] #951228 10/08/09 07:55 PM
D
Diablobowhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
My brother and I hunted in Idaho with a guide who wasn't really a guide. This guy had tried to blow his head off with a .357 magnum and only succeeded in blowing his nose off his face. He had a tracheotomy hole in his throat and smoked pot nonstop. Little rings of pot smoke would ooze out of the whole in his throat. He couldn't bugle the elk, so I had to. In the bitterroot mountains where it is so steep you can reach out and touch the side of the mountain walking on beargrass that was so slick you would fall and slide every 20 yards or so. In the mornings our "GUIDE" would get stoned, load up his backpack with keystone light and ask us what we thought we should do. I ripped the outfitter when I got off the mountain, stiffed the guide and threatened to finish the job he started with the .357 and tipped the heck out of the camp cook in front of the "Guide". Most miserable 5 days of my life.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Diablobowhunter] #951295 10/08/09 08:21 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
On a tidal island in Bayffin Bay December evening. Tide came in and took the john boat out to sea. Getting dark by the second island shrinking by the second........... Made it to the King Ranch Shore camped under a Huisache tree using my black lab as a warmth. We Missed the Game Wardens at 10:30ish but they came back at a 1/4 to 4ish.

Oh yeah temp was around 36ish and misty.

Loads of fun would trade the experience for anything, I was 16.

kt

Last edited by doctaylor; 10/08/09 08:22 PM.
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: SingleShot85] #951335 10/08/09 08:41 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Coke county about 5 or 6 years ago!

It got down to like 7 degrees one night with a 30+mph wind while staying in a tent trailer! We had all the heaters running and me and the dogs were still shivering! I didnt hunt that next morning, but I did hunt that after noon and it was brutal!

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: JCB] #951350 10/08/09 08:51 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I have been in worse, but one unique always comes to mind.

Many years ago I was invited to go south texas whitetail hunting with friends... it was 90-100 every day... very hot and very ugly. We knew we had to leave by 11am the next morning, I was the only one that got up (probably the only one that could have got up), and they were going to pick me up on the way out. It was about a 2 mile walk to the stand, so I left early. About 75-80 degrees, I wore jeans and a ss-tshirt....

What we didn't know, was the cold front from hell was on the way... it was COLD,,,, dropped about 55 degrees in 5 hours, and, yep, I was cold. And my buddies all decided I might see a real deer and let me stay as long as possible before coming to get me.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Dry Fire] #951537 10/08/09 09:49 PM
B
binoguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B

binocular harness guy
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Diablobowhunter] #951543 10/08/09 09:53 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Diablobowhunter
My brother and I hunted in Idaho with a guide who wasn't really a guide. This guy had tried to blow his head off with a .357 magnum and only succeeded in blowing his nose off his face. He had a tracheotomy hole in his throat and smoked pot nonstop. Little rings of pot smoke would ooze out of the whole in his throat. He couldn't bugle the elk, so I had to. In the bitterroot mountains where it is so steep you can reach out and touch the side of the mountain walking on beargrass that was so slick you would fall and slide every 20 yards or so. In the mornings our "GUIDE" would get stoned, load up his backpack with keystone light and ask us what we thought we should do. I ripped the outfitter when I got off the mountain, stiffed the guide and threatened to finish the job he started with the .357 and tipped the heck out of the camp cook in front of the "Guide". Most miserable 5 days of my life.

Now this is a classic rofl

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: Diablobowhunter] #951553 10/08/09 09:57 PM
B
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Diablobowhunter
this a true story? if so kinda weird. rofl

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: B-swit] #951593 10/08/09 10:11 PM
P
pig out Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
duck hunting on the trinity river worst hunt ever it was sleeting and raining and to top it all off we only got two birds between the three of us hunting.

Re: Worst Hunting Conditions You Have Been In?? [Re: pig out] #951636 10/08/09 10:29 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
My experience was similar to Vernon's. We were hunting near Winters and it had been pretty warm. Nothing unusual was called for with the weather, so we had nothing but light to medium weight clothes. Well a cold front started blowing through Friday night and we didn't think too much of it. When we woke up the next morning everything was frozen! The water in the trailer, the water (no antifreeze) in my buddy's radiator..everything. We put on every piece of clothing we had, dirty or clean, and headed out! We had to stop the truck and let it cool down from wanting to overheat (go figure) but finally got around to the backside of the 'mountain'. I went to one blind and my buddy to another. Naturally my blind was the one catching all the wind! I was shivering so bad I didn't know how I would ever get a shot at ANYTHING, in fact, I swear the blind was rattling just from my shivering. Anyway, I thought, 'hey, I'll eat a snack and that will help me warm up'! First lesson, powerbars aren't worth a crap when they're cold-you need a metal press to break off a piece! I keep digging in my pack and pull out my water..hey, that's not frozen..I must just be a wimp! What I didn't know was that my wife had mistakenly bought carbonated water...as soon as I cracked the cap I heard 'psssst' and the water froze right in front of my eyes!! I crammed everything in the pack and headed to my buddy's blind. That bastid was sittin' up there in shorts and a t-shirt with a Mr. Buddy heater blazin' away!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide