Print Thread
need advice on new puppy... #932637 09/29/09 12:27 PM
H
Hunter_Man Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
i picked up a redbone coonhound from the pound about 5 weeks ago. i've been trying to get her house broken, and it's driving me nuts. she is caged during the day, and has completely stopped going in her cage at least, but i'm going nuts trying to get her to stop taking a crap in my kid's room. it's like her spot or something. i've tried rubbing her nose in it and penning her after she does it to let her know she's done wrong, to wpraying her with a water bottle when i see her sniffing for a spot, to constantly letting her outside every 15 minutes. She'll be outside for an hour, and come in the house and poop in his room! it's driving me insane.

anyone got any pointers? she's approximately 16 weeks old by the way.

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Hunter_Man] #932910 09/29/09 02:37 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I'm no expert but......

1. Keep all interior doors shut 100% of the time. This will limit her ability to sneak in a room and take a deuce on the floor.
2. You will have to get a fancy shmancy cleaner to get the pee/poop scent from where she has been going. May not even be possible with a redbone. They gotta sniffer like no other.
3. When you catch her in the process immediately carry/move her outside and leave her until she is finished. Squirting water at her will do nothing but make her find better places to hide. Rubbing their nose in it is an old wives tale. Again, your not teaching them anything other that what crap smells like. They sniff it and their butts all day. You really think giving them an extra dose help.
4. Move her kennel close to a door. Outside should be the very place she goes when she comes out of the kennel.
5. She should finish her meals within 15 minutes or so. If there is still food in the bowl after that, you have over fed her.
6. As soon as she's done eating, she needs to go out.

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Jason B] #932938 09/29/09 02:47 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
thanks for the advice. as far as what i said before, i may have been exaggerating a bit smile when i walk in on her defacating (in the act) i tell her no, bad dog, and put her outside.
as far as the steamcleaner, trust me, we have one, and it's worth its weight in gold right now! her kennel is close to the door, and as soon as she gets out of the kennel, she goes outside, EVERY time.

the thing that you mention that is strange is that she will eat and eat and eat no matter how much food you put in front of her. and she WOLFS it down in like 30 seconds. it's rediculous. i give her 1/2 cup (vet recommended) 3 times a day right now, and you'd swear she hasn't eaten in a week. as soon as she's done, i put her outside for at least 30 minutes. but when she comes in...POOP. i don't get it.

another problem i'm having is the "i'm excited" peeing on the floor thing. I go to pick her up, and she'll pee. i scold her, and she'll pee. i play with her, and she'll pee. it's only when i first come home from work, or if i have a friend come over. it's like a nervousness thing. i've never had a dog that has done this. will she just grow out of this?

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Hunter_Man] #932970 09/29/09 03:00 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
For your first question, what are you feeding her? Make sure it is a quality food. Do not use Ol roy or other store brands. Try and look for a puppy food with "real meat" in it probably around a 28/18 blend. She will probably still woof it down, but these more expensive/better food are much more filling for them and are way healthier. Some good ones in my opinion are Eagle Pack, Exclusive, Enhance, Purina Pro Plan (not all Purina products), Eukanuba..... Look at the main ingredients.

As for the excited pee. As soon as you come home in a non-excited voice/manner (don't want to get her worked up) open her kennel and you walk back out the door. She will probably follow you since she is excited to see you. When she comes out, close the door behind her and watch her wizz then praise praise praise. To speed her out of the house, have a small liver treat in your hand, I promise that redbone will scent it and zoom out following you/the treat.

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Jason B] #933025 09/29/09 03:19 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The dog will grow out of the peeing on the floor. I've got a boxer/shepherd mix that used to do that. He's 1.5 years now, and only does it if I've been gone on vacation and get him really excited the first time I see him.

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Justin T] #933208 09/29/09 04:47 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
thanks for the advice everyone.

the food i use is Science Diet, but we just switched to that this weekend. When i got her I was given a large bag of purina puppy chow, and i decided to use that until it was gone. she just ran out and i switched to something a bit better, or so i thought. Is the Science Diet stuff ok?

i guess i need to start going outside with her more often to do her business. i've been getting lazy lately and just opening the door for her. i'll start going out with her and praising her outside more.

thanks again ya'll!

Re: need advice on new puppy... [Re: Hunter_Man] #933294 09/29/09 05:22 PM
T
tworod Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
With my pups that I have had I also made sure that when they had an accident like that I took it outside and made sure they knew it was in the lawn so the next time they would smell it there and know it was ok, it is very important though to stay out as long as it takes until she goes outside and once she does then take her inside again. Very frustrating I know but it will work eventually.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide