Gents,

Went out this morning to put my new Carlson chokes on paper. The results were impressive.

The two chokes tested were the Carlson Mid-Range (Modified) and Long-Range (Full) chokes. I picked these up from the local Bass Pro Shops for what I think is a very reasonable price (although I do get 10% off for a military discount). The price for the Full was about $35 and the Mod $25. Which was $10-20, respectively, cheaper than the Briley chokes. So if you're on a budget, pay attention.

The setup was a 24"x22" (yields approx. 30" circle, r=15") target placed 40 yards away. I wanted to test them at greater range, but the local range couldn't accommodate. I used two different types of ammo because it's what I have around. The first was Remington Nitro-Steel, #4 shot, 1450FPS, 3'' Mag. The second was Federal Black cloud, #4 shot, 3" Mag. The box didn't say what the FPS was, but it's a pretty hot load. The gun used was a Remington 870 Express SuperMag, 26" barrel, standard setup. I broke down the results statistically, term used loosely. I'm a pilot, we don't do math in the cockpit...it's dangerous!

Mid-Range Choke:
Remington Nitro-Steel: 203 Hits, Shell averaged 230 pellets. 88% of the shot made it on target. .38 shot per square inch

Federal Black Cloud: 202 Hits, Shell averaged 225 pellets. 89.7~90% of the shot made it on target for .38shot per square inch.

Long-Range Choke
Remington Nitro-Steel: 218 Hits, 230 pellets per shell. 95% of the shot made it on target for .41 shot/square inch. The pattern was slightly more dense, but I assume that the greatest pattern density at long range will be had with a larger shot size. The Carlson packaging also suggested this

Federal Black Cloud: 204 Hits, 225 pellets per shell. 90.6%~ 91% of the shot made it on target for .39 shot/square inch

Results:

I don't have the pictures of my factory Rem-Choke Mod paper test, but I can tell you the Carlson's are IMPRESSIVE. I have no doubt that a small front end investment will save me money in the long run due to less follow-up shots for cripples. Additionally, the extended choke tube will be easier to remove and install with gloves on vice the ole, "where's that dog gone wrench" while in the heat of battle. Anyways, I hope this will help a few of y'all out. Feel free to add comments, just go easy on me...

****Disclaimer**** I cannot guarantee you will have the same results. The data presented is as accurate as my least accurate instrument, which would be me.

"In the ethics of shooting dangerous game is the premise that the trouble you shoot yourself into you must be prepared to shoot yourself out of." -Ernest Hemingway

Semper Fi

[Linked Image]