spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Gunslinger
Originally Posted By: Hunter_Man
cut the sucker in half.

I love happy endings! grin grin

So do I, oh wait were talking about snake bites...

How bad could it be? I thought they had anti-venom now. Granted it all depends on how quickly you get to the DR but can a rattel snake bite kill you or just cause severe pain?

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: spudmonkey] #922815 09/23/09 04:26 PM
M
MacD37 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: spudmonkey

I love happy endings! grin grin

Quote:
So do I, oh wait were talking about snake bites...

How bad could it be? I thought they had anti-venom now. Granted it all depends on how quickly you get to the DR but can a rattel snake bite kill you or just cause severe pain?

Well I'll just say it this way, if you ever see a victim of Rattle snake bite two hours after he was hit by a big one, with the skin surgically split from knee to the top of his toes so the swelling doesn't rip the skin, and/or cut the blood flow and kill the leg, you will never ask that question again. ........And yes the bite of a rattler can kill you, and has killed many people, but it is more likely to cause you to suffer an amputation, and months of severe pain !
They've always had anti-venom but sometimes that kills the snake bite victim before the bite does!

Last edited by MacD37; 09/23/09 04:28 PM.

.........MacD37 >>>===(x)===> DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I have been to see the elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa
Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: MacD37] #922856 09/23/09 04:46 PM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I didn't know that. I thought that although the bite was venomous it was treatable without much effort. I just thought it was something that hurts like heck, you would rather not go through it and it may cause an infection.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: spudmonkey] #922873 09/23/09 04:59 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
spudmonkey -- look at these photos:

Snake Bite Photos

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: MacD37] #922876 09/23/09 05:00 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: MacD37
Back in the early 1980s We used to have a year round hunting lease in Coleman County near Talpa, Texas. This is a rocky hilly oak covered country, and there are a lot of rattlers there.

One day we were hunting some from tree stands, others just sitting on rocks watching a oat field, and another guy we called “Machinegun” because his last name was Kelly. He was real big guy, who looked like Mr. Clean . He had made a blind out of dead sticks, stacked around the base of a large oak tree, so he could lean against the trunk of the tree sitting on a folding camp stool , and look out over a patch of sparse woods down the hill side.

About 12:00 noon I moved to where Kelly was sitting, to bring both our lunches. I could see Kelly long before I go to his blind and there was something strange about him. I kept moving toward him, and he never moved a muscle and looked like a statue. When I got close I said to him did you see anything, and he did not answer, but kept rolling his eyes up and down, first looking at me, then down into the blind, then back to me, repeating this several times. I finally understood he wanted me to look inside his blind. I did, and coiled up between his boots was a big rattler. eek2

The snake had crawled into his blind sometime before two hours earlier without him realizing it. He had been sitting stone still for two hours afraid to move and get hit by that big boy. I had a .22 Beretta pistol on my belt, and I pulled it and looked at Kelly, as if to ask if he wanted me to shoot the snake, he nodded slightly “YES”, and I popped that BUZZ WORM in the head between Kelly’s feet. He looked like a rocket coming out of that brush blind straight up! He said "Man I didn’t think you were ever going to come my way, and I was fighting a heart attack for two hours, that seemed like two days."

The snake was almost five feet long, and a head as big as a full grown toad frog. That boy could have injected a serious amount of venom in one or both of Kelly’s legs before he could have gotten out of that brush blind that was waist high.

............. cowboy texas

My god, that is quite a story!

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: postoak] #922927 09/23/09 05:29 PM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: postoak

Snake Bite Photos

Good gravy, I just googled rattlesnake bites and read that exact same article. Honestly I had no idea, that chit is some serious stuff. It sounds naive/stupid but I really did not think it was that serious.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: spudmonkey] #924638 09/24/09 02:35 PM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
During my visit to the ER with a snake bite (copperhead)
I thought I was on my way to meet my maker, get to the counter tell the lady I been
bit by a snake ...she tells me to go sit down and wait.......
finally get to see the doc ,asked about anti venom doc says
you stand a 50% chance of going down if he gave me anti venom
without knowing the exact kind and size of snake ,,
I asked for the defintion of going down ,,,and it does mean die,, So he explained where the bite was (away from any vitals)
that the vemon would run its course with lots of swelling and pain,,,gave me painkiller's and sent me home I did not walk for eight days or more swelling was insane

The Doc told me ,the best thing you can do ,when you get bit is to kill the snake and bring it to the hospital, so they can match the amount of anti vemon to the size and kind of snake.

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Lance Vick] #924722 09/24/09 03:25 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Never been bitten. About 5 years ago my hunting buddy and I come to the gate that surrounds our deer camp. I grab a hold of the wire bracket and bam!, I thought I had been bitten by a rattlesnake. I'm doing this little dance, looking for a snake, snake bite, etc. Finding none, I grab the bracket again. Bam! The rancher had electrified the gate and not told us.

Now every opening weekend, someone has to do the "Snake Dance" around the campfire. Some things you never live down.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: postoak] #925680 09/24/09 10:32 PM
M
Marine Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: postoak

Snake Bite Photos

eek2 scared Sweet mother of (insert whoever/whatever you believe in here)!!

It's like a train wreck

Last edited by Marine; 09/24/09 10:32 PM.
Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Dry Fire] #925688 09/24/09 10:35 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Never been bitten. About 5 years ago my hunting buddy and I come to the gate that surrounds our deer camp. I grab a hold of the wire bracket and bam!, I thought I had been bitten by a rattlesnake. I'm doing this little dance, looking for a snake, snake bite, etc. Finding none, I grab the bracket again. Bam! The rancher had electrified the gate and not told us.

Now every opening weekend, someone has to do the "Snake Dance" around the campfire. Some things you never live down.

rofl

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Corn Fed Redneck] #927795 09/26/09 03:02 AM
N
notamtchance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Rattlers sure taste good though. Tried my first one 2 yrs ago and it was great. The snake din't like it much though. He was about 6 ft long and 4 inches around minus about 4 inches from the head up that was blown off with a 12 ga. while Dove Hunting.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: notamtchance] #927797 09/26/09 03:04 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I almost ran over a coral snake today on my 4 wheeler. He sure was pretty, I let him go.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: helomech] #927835 09/26/09 03:42 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A few years ago I did the snake dance while turkey hunting. I found a den area on the lease and was checking out a big rattler near it's hole. I few minutes later a good 3 to 4 foot slitters maybe ONE inch from my foot! Just was passing by I guess! Pretty crazy to have a snake just go right be me and not care if I was there! Upon further inspection of the area I find 3 more rattlers hanging out. I left them be till next week. Went back and sure enough found more. Decided to take this big boy out. Just over 5 feet long. Kinda pissed I took his head off and quite a few extra inches. Would have made a nice skin. He was so old he hardly had any rattles left.

I know 3 guys bit, 1 copper and 2 rattlers and all lived. The guy who got bit the by copper didn't get any anti-venom, they watched him overnight and he was fine.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Hunter_Man] #927868 09/26/09 04:01 AM
S
Skinner0_2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Hunting in south texas taught me one thing, walking to the stand in the dark, or from the stand in the dark, is much safer with snake proof knee high boots. I wear em all the time wherever i hunt, but then im the guy that hits the woods hopeing to run into a few herps anyway. And i leave em where i found em, in one peice. Skinner

Last edited by Skinner0_2; 09/26/09 04:04 AM.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: helomech] #927879 09/26/09 04:06 AM
S
Skinner0_2 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: helomech
I almost ran over a coral snake today on my 4 wheeler. He sure was pretty, I let him go.

Never seen one of those in person. Ive heard they are pretty docile. Skinner

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Skinner0_2] #927891 09/26/09 04:14 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Skinner0_2
Originally Posted By: helomech

Never seen one of those in person. Ive heard they are pretty docile. Skinner

Never seen one till I moved here, and have seen 3 in 3 years. Caught one, but did not let it's head go to find out how docile they are. Thought about catching the one today, but could not figure out how to drive the 4 wheeler through the creeks and still hold it.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: helomech] #927898 09/26/09 04:19 AM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
How would you kill the snake without mangling the skin?

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: spudmonkey] #927902 09/26/09 04:22 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A perfect hit to the head with a shovel or 22 in the head.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Txduckman] #927926 09/26/09 04:34 AM
S
spudmonkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
gotcha, thanks.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Hunter_Man] #928072 09/26/09 12:40 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
i almost stepped on a big one opening day of dove season, but it was no juvenile. but he gave me a little warning rattle at the last second. we were both moving and just crossed paths. also in the grass, but just high enough to conceal him until directly over him.

this is pretty much the height of rattlesnake season in west texas. they really come out in the mornings and evenings now. and hunters have to watch for them.

fyi, if you been bitten, a full grown man in reasonably good health typically has about 4 hours to get an anti-venom injection before death is a serious possibility. the biggest risk is tissue damage, which can set in after about 1.5 to 2 hours. good argument for one of those little orange gps emergency locator/messaging devices they're selling nowadays when you're in remote locations. a helicopter ambulance cuts response time dramatically! but in your case, you had time for your buddy to drive you to safety.

Re: Stepped on a snake.... [Re: Corn Fed Redneck] #928167 09/26/09 03:10 PM
2Stones Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I've never seen a rattlesnake in Texas until Labor Day weekend when I was hiking in the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I stepped over one small one before he rattled. eek About twenty yards later I was about to put my foot down and another larger one freaked out on me too.

No bites, but it took us another three hours to get back to the camp. If one of us had been bitten, it would have been quite awhile before anyone would know to send out help. Since it was a National Park, you cannot bring in guns to carry to dispatch these guys. (I know that that rule is up in the air, but the last I heard is that a Federal Judge has temporarily stopped the law from going into effect.)

Me fale English? That's unpossible!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide