Forums46
Topics538,308
Posts9,735,632
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cajun Superposed] #913184 09/18/09 11:34 AM
C
Cass Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Cajun Superposed
Cass
Last year I shot some Fiocchi 4's and some Federals also. Nothing to write home about in my shooting though.

Couple weeks back I did some pattern work and was disappointed with the high speed Fiocchi 4's. It was pretty bad in my Citori. Some regular old Federal Premium 4's were pretty awsome though. Of course now I can't find any more. I think I will go with 5's this year, but I'm going to test again soon.

I agree with patterning them. It's surprising how much they vary from gun to gun.

Cass

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cajun Superposed] #913198 09/18/09 12:03 PM
C
Cass Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Cajun Superposed
Cass
If Tim's dogs are as good as they were last year I might only bring six shells with me. nidea

I have to tell you a story about one of Tim's dogs, Bree. Last year we had a large group, so Tim dropped about 12 or 15 of us off to walk through a large section of CRP grass. He was going to take the other part of the group to work a smaller field and then go around and block for us when we got to the other side of the section. We had Tim's dog Bree and two labs with us. Tim called me over to his truck and said here's your dog. He asked me to hold Bree while he left and he looked her in the eyes and told her to stay with me.

After we started hunting, Bree was way down at the other end of the line when a pheasant got up at our end and flew along the line. Four others shot and just before it was out of range I shot and hit it hard enough that it's tail and body dropped down vertical as it was flying. It landed about 150 yards out, so rather than break up the line I decided we would just look for it when we got up to that point.

About 10 minutes later when we were up to that point, sure enough Bree found the dead rooster. She picked it up and headed back toward the line. When she got back to the line, she first came to 2 other guys who were closer to her and they both called to her to bring the bird. But she ran right past both of them and brought the bird to me! To our amazement, she had clearly understood Tim's instructions and knew that I was her temporary master while he was gone.

Cass

Last edited by Cass; 09/18/09 12:07 PM.
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cass] #914868 09/19/09 04:59 AM
C
chiefdog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Hey Tim. Is Bree one of the shorthair pups you got out of my Ace dog last year?

--Dave Scott

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: chiefdog] #915177 09/19/09 04:18 PM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Hey Man,
How are you? Its been awhile.
Yes, bree and Lutz are out of your ACE. Lets see....If I can remember the pics on here. second pic is bree. Then I think Lutz (he has the white stripe down the face) and then both on an honor point (at 5 months old)lol. Bree locked down and lutz is giving here the honor in the last pic??
She finally went into heat for the first time couple weeks ago. They are both doing so good and loaded with natural talent...great bloodline!! Bree is just the best all around...one of the best I've raised!! Lutz, lol. he is all male and strong headed but a power house in the field....very classy looking dog to the day....but the heart goes to Bree.
My hunters fell in love with her last year. Making 150 yard retrieves for them last year at 5 months old. Great dogs and bloodline my friend....Tim Ballinger
Its good to hear from you!!!

Upper Texas panhandle pheasant!!
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #916476 09/20/09 08:19 PM
C
chiefdog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Tim,
I'm really glad they worked out for you Tim. I put several horseback and walking field trial placments on two of their brothers. If you have the right bloodlines, they can do anything you ask of them.

I think you still have my email, but my cell has changed. If you ever want to get loose and hunt Oklahoma and Kansas with me, give me a holler. You've always got a place to stay if you do.

I was driving through your neck of the woods earlier this summer, and I was really impressed with the number of pheasants I saw! You should have a great year with your guided hunts with bird numbers looking like that!!

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #916495 09/20/09 08:30 PM
L
Luv2Hunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Shorthair,

Please send any hunt information in a pm. I am very intersted in hearing more.

Thanks,
Andrew

Be kind with your words, thankful to your Creator and generous with the meat from your hunt.
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Luv2Hunt] #917687 09/21/09 02:16 PM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Luv2Hunt,
Please send me an E-mail for info. and any questions you may have. tballinger@cableone.net I sent you a pm.
Pleae gentlemen....I prefer to keep the hunting and quiding on my e-mails. The forum is so good to me and you. It is to easy to get caught up in details and waste space on here. I just feel the forum is a way to share, provide and give info., not a place to conduct business info. Thank you for honoring my request...And I know the forum admin. thank you for it.
Shorthair...Tim Ballinger.
Cass, great story. I remember that hunt very well. Good memories. I just read it...wondering why chiefdog got ahold of me out of the blue like that and knew Bree?? great stuff.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #920624 09/22/09 07:00 PM
J
JimT82 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Tim,

Me and my dad hunted with you last year.... I sent you an email about booking again this year. Guys if your looking for a good pheasant hunt Tim is you guy... I give him my highest reccomendation.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: JimT82] #920954 09/22/09 09:01 PM
L
lunatichunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Tim, last year you sent out an email on ways to shoulder your shotgun and things to practice for our upcoming hunt. Like swinging your gun and stuff to help us. Do you think you could send it out again? I had saved it, but my computer crashed and I lost it. thanks

I'm part hippie a little redneck, I'm always a suspect. My bloodline, made me who I am.
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: lunatichunter] #921514 09/23/09 12:53 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
lunatechuter,
Are you on my e-mail list?? If so I will be sending that out shortly with pics. These Da@# birds are running into cover and crop so fast I cant get any good pics yet. The pics and other info will follow shortly. If you are not on my e mail list let me know on here (I really dont check here often enough) and I will p.m. you and give it to you again. Are you coming hunting with me this Year?? I dont retain the AKA...lol. Tim

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: JimT82] #921528 09/23/09 12:56 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
JimT82,
Got ya covered up my man!! e-mail and a phone call. Your in and no backin out.....bring 4 shot...lol. Thank you for the trust and kind words....and the chance to earn and give you the best days off ever...Shorthair

Is this You Jim....lol.

Last edited by Shorthair; 09/23/09 01:09 AM.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cass] #921739 09/23/09 02:21 AM
C
Cajun Superposed Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Originally Posted By: Cass
[quote=Cajun Superposed]Cass

About 10 minutes later when we were up to that point, sure enough Bree found the dead rooster. She picked it up and headed back toward the line. When she got back to the line, she first came to 2 other guys who were closer to her and they both called to her to bring the bird. But she ran right past both of them and brought the bird to me! To our amazement, she had clearly understood Tim's instructions and knew that I was her temporary master while he was gone.

Cass

Cass, that is too good! Those dogs are wonderful aren't they? I had a memorable retrieve last year also. I think it was Bree. I had a high passing shot on a rooster and watched it truck on for the good part of 150 yds and just drop out of the sky. It was a looong ways off, and she took off after it. When she got to it, the rooster still thought he was boss, and they went round and round for a full minute or two. Guess who won. Quite a show for a 4-5 month old pup. I can't wait to see them this year.

Lanny

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cajun Superposed] #922044 09/23/09 04:25 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S

Cass 2008 pheasant hunt. Cass and Bree (5 months old)...dang hens!!!!lol

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #922047 09/23/09 04:28 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S

Cass, Lutz and Bree ( 5 months old ). Hunting Pheasant 2008. If you look at the horizon (two metal grain bins in the distance)....Rooster!! Look at those 5 month old pups mark that rooster as he folds......nice shot Cass.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #922061 09/23/09 04:36 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S

Bree (left) Cass (middle) Lutz (right) 2008 hunting (pups 5 months old)..The limit of that day...Just Cass and I went out that day. We walk 8 (7-8 acre grass corners). The first 4 nothing. The 5th corner..maybe a hen. The 6th and 7th..nothing again. When we hit that last 8th corner....wow!!! 40 to 80 birds right away blew out the north edge (I mean wild). The pups hit it like a fresh bag of hot dog treats....I grap the pics while Cass followed pups and picked up the lazy ones....haha. That was a good day!!!

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #922077 09/23/09 04:45 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Lan,
If only I would have been taking pics that day the 4 of you Lousiana boys were here.
Remember that 30" to 35" grass corner we were in. ? Wayne ? had those two nice points off Lutz that he missed. Guys it was texted book perfect. Lutz locks down hard!! Hunter moves in.. not 8' in front of Lutz a BIG ROOSTER boils out of the grass. Flies 6' straight up out of the grass, gets wind direction and is gone.....after two shots where cracked off...hahahahah. (That happened twice) 20 minute time period. HAHAHAHAHA!! That was classic. There is more to the story. I'll allow Lan. the right to pass that on. shorthair (good memories and stories)

Last edited by Shorthair; 09/23/09 04:48 AM.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #922229 09/23/09 11:34 AM
L
lunatichunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
You bet we are! My son and a buddy of mine will be headed your way for my son's birthday hunt. I was on the list last year.
Originally Posted By: Shorthair
lunatechuter,
Are you on my e-mail list?? If so I will be sending that out shortly with pics. These Da@# birds are running into cover and crop so fast I cant get any good pics yet. The pics and other info will follow shortly. If you are not on my e mail list let me know on here (I really dont check here often enough) and I will p.m. you and give it to you again. Are you coming hunting with me this Year?? I dont retain the AKA...lol. Tim

Last edited by lunatichunter; 09/23/09 11:35 AM.

I'm part hippie a little redneck, I'm always a suspect. My bloodline, made me who I am.
Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: lunatichunter] #924138 09/24/09 03:10 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I have sent out several e mails already. Have you gotten them?
Send me an e mail tballinger@cableone.net. So you have already booked a hunt with me this season? Again, your THF aka does not link me to a real name. Please send an e mail. Never mind first part of your aka gave you away....lol. ding ding ding......lol. Sorry. I think Im correct??? I do know who you are....

Last edited by Shorthair; 09/24/09 03:12 AM.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #924507 09/24/09 01:12 PM
L
lunatichunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
You are right Tim. I had booked last year but my wife was involved in a hit and run the night before our trip. I had to call you and cancel. Good Lord willing, we will be there this year. All those pics you had sent me over the summer had me stoked.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #926222 09/25/09 03:48 AM
C
Cajun Superposed Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
"" If only I would have been taking pics that day the 4 of you Lousiana boys were here.
Remember that 30" to 35" grass corner we were in. ? Wayne ? had those two nice points off Lutz that he missed. Guys it was texted book perfect. Lutz locks down hard!! Hunter moves in.. not 8' in front of Lutz a BIG ROOSTER boils out of the grass. Flies 6' straight up out of the grass, gets wind direction and is gone.....after two shots where cracked off...hahahahah. (That happened twice) 20 minute time period. HAHAHAHAHA!! That was classic. There is more to the story....""

Oh yes Tim I remember that hunt. Wayne had been our best shooter up till then, and suddenly he couldn't hit dirt. I won't go into detail about it other than to say he got angry. I will mention though that after you gave him some encouragement and coaching, you offered him your Beretta in place of his Savage. It was a low and high of sportsmanship. A man got angry (at himself) and his guide was willing to give him the shirt off his back to help. Things like that leave lasting memories. Things like that bring hunters back as friends the next year.

Lanny

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Cajun Superposed] #934414 09/30/09 01:49 AM
F
flushem_crushem Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Guess us Graham boys are not good enough to get our pics on here. LOL! See ya in a couple of months.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: flushem_crushem] #934569 09/30/09 02:49 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S

Here you go!! The Grahm boys, Two of the best shooters I know of.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #934589 09/30/09 02:56 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
The two I speak of are of the left hand side. That day took them an hour and 1/2 to limit. This was two years ago. This year will be the 3rd trip.

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #943846 10/05/09 04:37 PM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Exactly 60 days to the opening day for Pheasant in Texas. Still have some available spots. tballinger@cableone.net

Re: TEXAS panhandle pheasant hunts!! Ballinger [Re: Shorthair] #958916 10/13/09 01:36 AM
S
Shorthair Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Update, I'm down to only a few openings. If you contact me, please do so at tballinger@cableone.net. I dont always long in to THF and your p.m. here will be missed or late. Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide