Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: twinbubba] #914087 09/18/09 07:37 PM
B
Budgeteer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Maybe not too scary, but hopefully interesting...

I had the opportunity to hunt a lease near Cotulla once and heard a story about a hunter who climbed into his stand early one morning only to find some kind of monkey sitting in it.

Hunter claimed he looked at the monkey, the monkey looked at him, and then the hunter backed down the ladder not sure if he'd really seen what he thought he saw. The monkey eventually bugged out of the stand, but the hunter spent the morning watching a sendero from the ground.

The hunter, convinced he was crazy, brought it up in camp to some of the hands working the ranch and learned that it wasn't that uncommon for that to happen there. There was apparently some kind of primate refuge not too far away that ocassionally had some its residents go AWOL.

"Hee cannot be a gentleman whych loveth not a dogge." --Anonymous, The Institucion of a Gentleman (1555)
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Budgeteer] #914095 09/18/09 07:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Budgeteer
Maybe not too scary, but hopefully interesting...

I had the opportunity to hunt a lease near Cotulla once and heard a story about a hunter who climbed into his stand early one morning only to find some kind of monkey sitting in it.

Hunter claimed he looked at the monkey, the monkey looked at him, and then the hunter backed down the ladder not sure if he'd really seen what he thought he saw. The monkey eventually bugged out of the stand, but the hunter spent the morning watching a sendero from the ground.

The hunter, convinced he was crazy, brought it up in camp to some of the hands working the ranch and learned that it wasn't that uncommon for that to happen there. There was apparently some kind of primate refuge not too far away that ocassionally had some its residents go AWOL.

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL... Snow monkeys run in Groups and are skilled hunters.. clap

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: twinbubba] #914127 09/18/09 07:57 PM
C
cole660 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I got one for you guys and Gals,

So my buddy goes to the lease early last year, this is on a 400ac. So he gets there on a friday afternoon and no one else will be there untill late that night, he decides "heck since I'm here I might as well go sit and see what comes out" no big deal probally done it hundreds of times. And he is off in the old busted down jeepster( not top, no doors) he gets to his blind no problem, all goes as normal. So there he is sitting in the blind and its is just about to get to dark to shoot and out of no where he heres this terriable screcching sound and these crazy moans.. Like a animal dying (or a big cat)So now he is starting to freak out. Says he stayed in the blind for like an hour after that,now it is really dark, no moon dark, finally gets the nerve built up to climb out(Gun loaded ,up and alert) and heads for the jeep about 25 yards out, gets in the jeeps fires it up and skinny pedal down... Gets about halfway back puddling along and guess what hears the same creepy screching again and he says man it is right on my azz. Lets just say he made a new road to the camp. Flys into camp, nobody there, he is freaking out. Grabs his pistol out of his truck and is ready. So half hour passes and nothing else has happended and he is starting to calm down. Then out of nowhere from outside the camper he hears the screeching again, enough is enough he claims. pistol in hand flash light up, out the door.. screeeeecccchhh... he follows the sounds and barrels down on a old wet, batteries dying, electronic deer call that belonged to his son that had been left in the back of the jeep from last visit... Man we talk and LOL about that story everyear..

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: cole660] #914281 09/18/09 09:41 PM
B
B-swit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: cole660

So my buddy goes to the lease early last year, this is on a 400ac. So he gets there on a friday afternoon and no one else will be there untill late that night, he decides "heck since I'm here I might as well go sit and see what comes out" no big deal probally done it hundreds of times. And he is off in the old busted down jeepster( not top, no doors) he gets to his blind no problem, all goes as normal. So there he is sitting in the blind and its is just about to get to dark to shoot and out of no where he heres this terriable screcching sound and these crazy moans.. Like a animal dying (or a big cat)So now he is starting to freak out. Says he stayed in the blind for like an hour after that,now it is really dark, no moon dark, finally gets the nerve built up to climb out(Gun loaded ,up and alert) and heads for the jeep about 25 yards out, gets in the jeeps fires it up and skinny pedal down... Gets about halfway back puddling along and guess what hears the same creepy screching again and he says man it is right on my azz. Lets just say he made a new road to the camp. Flys into camp, nobody there, he is freaking out. Grabs his pistol out of his truck and is ready. So half hour passes and nothing else has happended and he is starting to calm down. Then out of nowhere from outside the camper he hears the screeching again, enough is enough he claims. pistol in hand flash light up, out the door.. screeeeecccchhh... he follows the sounds and barrels down on a old wet, batteries dying, electronic deer call that belonged to his son that had been left in the back of the jeep from last visit... Man we talk and LOL about that story everyear..
thats funny chit

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bonehead] #914298 09/18/09 09:49 PM
G
gnuts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I don't know if I would used the word scared. Highly alert, definitely.

When I was about 16, long before I had a cell phone or a GPS, I had my two biggest scares and they happened in the same day. One walking to a stand, one walking from a stand.

My father and I were fairly new members to a lease near the Brazos. That morning I was off to hunt in a stand I had never hunted. There were no trail markers or real landmarks to speak of. I knew where it was obviously but had never tried to get there in the dark. I got typical redneck directions from my Dad that were useless. "Go past the third oak tree and take a left for a little while. Veer back to your right for a while and look for the pecan tree that looks kind of like a turkey. If you hear the creek you've gone to far. etc. etc." Needless to say I got lost. I decided to post up under a tree and just wait until I could see a little better and try to sneak in to the stand. I got anxious after a while and convinced myself I was going to ruin my hunt if I didn't get in the stand way before first light. I started walking again, mini mag lite in hand. All of a sudden I saw a pair of eyes in front of me, very low to the ground but way too wide to be a bobcat, coon, etc. I stared at the eyes and then another set popped up in my flashlight beam. This pair was taller and wider. Soon I realized it was a cow and a calf. I felt like an idiot for getting so scared and kept walking. The two cows took off towards the creek. About thirty seconds later I hear this big commotion but way off in the distance. I stopped walking and just listened. It got closer and closer. I started freaking out. I'm shining my little flashlight for all it's worth and can't see a thing, all the while the noise has gone from very distant to uncomfortably close. All of a sudden I catch eyes again...cows again. Unfortunately this time it was the whole herd!!! There were about 200 head of cattle on the land. They were shoulder to shoulder and running full speed right at me. The first two cows had startled the rest and now I'm standing right in line with a flat out stampede!!! It's decision time. There was no where to run and no available tree to climb. I literally thought I was about to die. I finally took my rifle off my shoulder and fired two shots in the air. The cows stopped in their tracks about 15 yards from where I stood. I let off a rant of cussing, the likes of which you've never heard. The cows turned around and went on about their business. Having scared every living thing in a ten mile radius, I walked back to camp frustrated and dejected. Much to my delight, my Dad and the rest of our hunting group were still sitting around the camp fire and every one of them was laughing to the point of tears. I walked right by them, not saying a word, got into my tent and stayed there licking my wounds until lunch time. That afternoon, around one o'clock, I decided to give it another go. I headed to a different stand that evening and got set up for a long hunt. This too was a stand I had never hunted but the trail was clearly marked so it wasn't going to be an issue, or so I thought. I saw a few deer during the hunt but it was early in the season and I decided to hold out for a "Big'un". I started back to my truck. I reached in my pack for my flashlight only to realize I had left it on during the morning's shennanigans and it was dead. It was overcast, no moon, no stars, but I could still see enough to get a decent bearing towards my truck. As it got darker, the brush and briers got thicker. I got turned around and now had no clue where I was. It was a complete crapshoot at this point as I could literally not see my hand in front of my face. I headed the direction that felt right and hoped for the best. Now I'm lost, scratched to death from briers, and keep hearing the land owner in my head talking about the "Big Cat" he had seen the day before. All of a sudden, a cottontail flies out of the brush and torpedos me right in the side of the calf. I seriously thought my heart was going to explode. About 45 minutes later I had recovered from my encounter with the boogie man and guess what... I ended up right back at the base of the tower stand I had started at. After serious consideration of sleeping in the stand, I decided to give it one more shot. Back into the brush and briers I go. After what seemed like an eternity (probably ten minutes) I started hearing voices. I figured it was my Dad coming to look for me. I headed towards the voices and ended up smack dab in the middle of another YouTube moment. I walked right into a LARGE family reunion BBQ being held by the landowner adjacent to our lease. Their I am, full camo, beat to hell, gun in hand, whole family looking at me. I paused, waived at the landowner, "Hi Chuck.". I put my head down and walked quickly to my truck while they all laughed hysterically. To this day, despite my many hunting successes, I have never lived this day down.

So yes, I get "scared" walking in the dark so kiss it!!! LOL!!!

http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01561/71/98/1561958917_m.jpg
(Sig Pics to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: gnuts] #914315 09/18/09 10:04 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
After watching Pig Bomb on Discovery channel last night I will be alot more alert than before.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #914532 09/19/09 12:51 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Aint skeered.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: passthru] #914612 09/19/09 01:48 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Take my wheeler all the way up to my blind and park it there before daylight and cover it with a camo ATV cover. Deer seem to be okay with it. No Sasquatch, Chupacabra, Hogzilla or black panther has gotten me yet by doing it.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #914802 09/19/09 03:52 AM
J
jrye Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Our most productive stand on our lease is a 5 min walk from camp. There's not enough time to get spooked in the dark.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Burrito] #914808 09/19/09 04:05 AM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
I freak out everytime even with a little light in my hand, once im at my spot im just fine grin

Last edited by Txkiller; 09/19/09 05:26 AM.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Txkiller] #914819 09/19/09 04:16 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The thing that worries me the most is myself. What if I get turned around? What if I cant find the stand? Those are my biggest worries

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #914832 09/19/09 04:24 AM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I know my place like the back of my hand, so im not worried about getting turned around. however, I do fear the nocturnal hog!

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: txhunter24] #914839 09/19/09 04:32 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
These are good guys, keep em coming...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: RandallW20] #914871 09/19/09 05:02 AM
M
mbavo Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil,for YOU are with me,thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Browndog] #914898 09/19/09 05:28 AM
S
smokingquack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
You guys have to be the biggest wussies I have ever heard of!!!!! Afraid, while walking to your stand to kill half tame deer eating from a corn feeder? Lord almighty!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I might see a pig" ohhhh my what a scary situation. Make sure to cary your sidearm because things might get out of control. Maybe you guys should start wearing helmets to save the last few brain cells that you have. HAHA! And I thought texans were tough.

Last edited by smokingquack; 09/19/09 02:44 PM.
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: smokingquack] #914910 09/19/09 05:41 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: smokingquack
You guys have to be the biggest vages I have ever heard of!!!!! Afraid, while walking to your stand to kill half tame deer eating from a corn feeder? Lord almighty!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I might see a pig" ohhhh my what a scary situation. Make sure to cary your sidearm because things might get out of control. Maybe you guys should start wearing helmets to save the last few brain cells that you have. HAHA! And I thought texans were tough.

I'd like to see the 500lb+ hog on our place run you down and see if you aint a little scared walking out there in the dark after that. I'm sure you'll change your mind mighty quick.....

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: RandallW20] #915004 09/19/09 12:51 PM
F
FlTxHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I had just gotten out of my truck about 50 yards from the hunting blind. It was around 5:30 in the morning and with the moon and the coming day break, you could just start to make things out w/o the aide of a flashlight.

Just then the coyotes started to howl all around me... as in very close proximity. I had a rifle and a 9mm with me so I wasn't too worried. That was until I was half way b/w the truck and the blind. I heard something crashing through the thickets to my left. At first I thought it was the howling coyotes getting out of Dodge. So I stopped and shined my spotlight in the general direction of where the sound was coming from hoping to get a glimpse but couldn't see anything.

I resumed walking towards the blind but then I realized whatever was making the noise was still around and it sounded like it was picking up speed and heading towards me. That's when the panic feeling started. I stopped with the spotlight in one hand and the 9mm in the other all pointing towards the sound. The beast was still coming but I still couldn't see him. So I did the most natural thing I could think of... I ran as fast as I could towards the blind. I nearly tripped and landed in a clump of cactus, but my old athleticism kicked in and saved me from very painful start to a day.

Well I got to the blind, the blind is a 5x10x7 homemade job and the door is held closed with a slide lock. I don't know whether it was because I was holding a spotlight in one hand and a pistol in the other, but I couldn't work the slide out of the locked position. Meanwhile, the beast was still coming and now it was very close. It's a good thing that I had a good session before leaving the camp or I might had to find a new pair of shorts before heading home that night.

Finally I got the slide out and jumped into the blind and slammed the door shut. After I recomposed myself, I chambered a round into the 9mm (it wasn't even loaded when I pulled it out earlier) and stuck my head out of the door. It was eerily quiet for a minute and then the noise started again. Then about 5 yds from the door to my right, I saw some movement. As I pointed the 9mm towards the movement, outcomes one of the biggest armadillos I had ever seen. That sucker had to have been at least 2 feet tall at the hump. Things really are bigger in Texas.

Talk about being relieved and embarrassed at the same time. I almost taught him his last lesson for scaring the living bleep out of me but decided to spare him so he can give the same experience to my buddy.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: smokingquack] #915079 09/19/09 02:40 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: smokingquack
You guys have to be the biggest vages I have ever heard of!!!!! Afraid, while walking to your stand to kill half tame deer eating from a corn feeder? Lord almighty!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I might see a pig" ohhhh my what a scary situation. Make sure to cary your sidearm because things might get out of control. Maybe you guys should start wearing helmets to save the last few brain cells that you have. HAHA! And I thought texans were tough.

Big chit talker huh, most people didn't say afraid just that they would be more alert. Have you walked up on a sow with piglets? Middle of the day or at night, she will protect them like no other. So unless you have been in that situation you got no room to talk.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #915082 09/19/09 02:45 PM
S
smokingquack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Before anyone gets to mad, I'm just raz you guys a little. I carry a sidearm whenever I'm out. Not scared, but prepared for the worst. After hunting in Northern California where you are more likely to come across a marijuana farm in the national forests than a deer, you have to always be prepared. They usually shoot on sight.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #915139 09/19/09 03:26 PM
A
aussie1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Have you walked up on a sow with piglets? Middle of the day or at night, she will protect them like no other. So unless you have been in that situation you got no room to talk. [/quote]

I have and that's not always the case. More times than not they will hall arse. I've got video of a friend orphaning 5 piglets. My bud tried running down those little ones, I should have got that on video.

Quick story though, My son 6ft 170lbs is deathly affraid of getting ambushed by hogs. So one evening after bow hunting we got out of our stands and started heading back to the truck and I decided to play a trick on him. He would walk out of the woods and make as much noise as he could, talk on the phone and so on. So I'm not 10ft from the road and he comes walking by talking to his bud on the phone and I come snorting out of the brush running at him. He screams bloddy murder and starts running at me once he heard me laughing at him. He makes sure to always have his spot light with him now.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: aussie1] #915171 09/19/09 04:09 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: aussie1
Have you walked up on a sow with piglets? Middle of the day or at night, she will protect them like no other. So unless you have been in that situation you got no room to talk.

I have and that's not always the case. More times than not they will hall arse
. I've got video of a friend orphaning 5 piglets. My bud tried running down those little ones, I should have got that on video.

Quick story though, My son 6ft 170lbs is deathly affraid of getting ambushed by hogs. So one evening after bow hunting we got out of our stands and started heading back to the truck and I decided to play a trick on him. He would walk out of the woods and make as much noise as he could, talk on the phone and so on. So I'm not 10ft from the road and he comes walking by talking to his bud on the phone and I come snorting out of the brush running at him. He screams bloddy murder and starts running at me once he heard me laughing at him. He makes sure to always have his spot light with him now. [/quote]

Most time they will but I have been charged twice once at dusk and once in the middle of the day filling feeders, not a fun situation. My brother has also been charged too, he saw the pig in time to get his gun up. Thats messed up but funny what you did to your son.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #917429 09/21/09 06:28 AM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Funny stuff guys...

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: RandallW20] #917507 09/21/09 12:06 PM
C
cbryan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
i get a little worried about the hogs but not much else. i figure if a mt. lion was around that i would be on the ground and almost dead before i heard anything much less get a shot off. those animals don't make much noise when hunting.

Re: Walking to the blind [Re: cole660] #917957 09/21/09 04:22 PM
T
TX_Huntress Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cole660

LMAO!! That story is worth repeating!

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[Linked Image]
Re: Walking to the blind [Re: Bonehead] #918327 09/21/09 07:02 PM
J
jrich Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I dropped off one of my buddies last year in a ground blind early one morning on my way to my stand. while walking to my stand i heard 2 shots. so i ran back to the truck to go see what was up. I asked him why he shot, and he said he heard something behind him in the woods! hahaha. I said "ur in a box blind...nothin will get you!" he said "shut up, i was scared and its dark".

but yes i do get scared walking to my stands in the pitch black night. but i feel much better when i get into the stand or tripod

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide