Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: dogcatcher] #911882 09/17/09 08:25 PM
G
gunslinger922 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
QUOTE: "Enclosing a natural resource that doesnt belong to the landowner and making it his by "capture".
The above statement explains my one and only complaint against high fencing. I was under the opinion that the wildlife, excluding exotics, belong to all the people of the state. What gives someone the right to fence in wildlife resources that belong to all of us. Understadably a landowner has the right to fence his property but I believe he should have to pay for each whitetail he "captures". That money could be used to enhance public hunting oportunities

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: dogcatcher] #911914 09/17/09 08:35 PM
D
Dude Briggs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
As far as deer goes IMO, the guys with the trophy rooms full of huge bucks in not that impressive to me if they were taken from a high fence as if they were low fence, and if that same guy had all those bucks from public land then flehan I hunt my butt off and I havent been able to bag a "trophy" buck. To the guy that forks over $5k and picks out a monster from a bunch of bred deer, good for him but that does not make him any better of a hunter than me. soap As for hogs, kill em all rifle

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: gunslinger922] #911950 09/17/09 08:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: gunslinger922
QUOTE: "Enclosing a natural resource that doesnt belong to the landowner and making it his by "capture".
The above statement explains my one and only complaint against high fencing. I was under the opinion that the wildlife, excluding exotics, belong to all the people of the state. What gives someone the right to fence in wildlife resources that belong to all of us. Understadably a landowner has the right to fence his property but I believe he should have to pay for each whitetail he "captures". That money could be used to enhance public hunting oportunities

Has the state ever paid the landowner for the loss of feed the deer eat? Nope, the state may own the animals, but they also fail to care for them. When the landowner fences the property he is only recovering his loss from feeding the animals that the state never has paid him. The deer according to law still belong to the state so the landowner is still feeding the state's deer.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: dogcatcher] #912072 09/17/09 09:37 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: gunslinger922

Has the state ever paid the landowner for the loss of feed the deer eat? Nope, the state may own the animals, but they also fail to care for them. When the landowner fences the property he is only recovering his loss from feeding the animals that the state never has paid him. The deer according to law still belong to the state so the landowner is still feeding the state's deer.
This is something that I don't think has ever really faced a serious legal challenge. And don't get me wrong, I'm not against landowners being allowed to high fence their property, but it wouldn't surprise me if at some time in the future, they are required to either reimburse the state for the value of the resources (game) or release those resources from captivity. Either way, it may prove to be an interesting situation.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Texan Til I Die] #912085 09/17/09 09:45 PM
X
xaeran Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
X
As a land owner that neighbors a new high fence ranch, I can honestly say that I hate high fences. There's nothing like managing a herd for years just to have them fenced in on the other side.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

xaeran@austin.rr.com
FYI [Re: Texan Til I Die] #912099 09/17/09 09:52 PM
D
deerhuntnow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Prior to completing a high fence, most landowners try to purge the property of the existing deer. If the property is large and dense trying is of little use.
Far south Texas may be the exception.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: xaeran] #912199 09/17/09 10:41 PM
H
Hunts_With_Stick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: xaeran
As a land owner that neighbors a new high fence ranch, I can honestly say that I hate high fences. There's nothing like managing a herd for years just to have them fenced in on the other side.

X2......This happened to us in Meridian on a family farm, the place used to be a honey hole no 150's but numerous 130's and all of a sudden the old man died next door and somebody bought it and fenced it then the following year the opposite side sold his and fenced it. Now all of a sudden we have high fences and 3 sides! bang It went from honey hole to crap hole in the matter of a year!!! bang I hate em I don't care who hunts em I just hate them and would never steal god's creation and put em behind a fence for my taking only.

Run all the deer off and start with your own herd, otherwise I think your stealing from the state and the guy next door and even God. Anybody who makes a profit off an animal that is natural to the state and that you did not pay for yourself is crap, I hate it. bang

Sorry for rant I hate it when this topics comes up!! It always divides us..... Bottom line is we all hunt so who cares really. I can't say that if the opportunity presented itself that I wouldn't take a 130 cull for free!! up

Before you book travel go here>>>> www.sdc1.rovia.com <<<<
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912342 09/17/09 11:31 PM
Q
Quailhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
Originally Posted By: Stick Slinger

X2......This happened to us in Meridian on a family farm, the place used to be a honey hole no 150's but numerous 130's and all of a sudden the old man died next door and somebody bought it and fenced it then the following year the opposite side sold his and fenced it. Now all of a sudden we have high fences and 3 sides! bang It went from honey hole to crap hole in the matter of a year!!! bang I hate em I don't care who hunts em I just hate them and would never steal god's creation and put em behind a fence for my taking only.

Run all the deer off and start with your own herd, otherwise I think your stealing from the state and the guy next door and even God. Anybody who makes a profit off an animal that is natural to the state and that you did not pay for yourself is crap, I hate it. bang

Sorry for rant I hate it when this topics comes up!! It always divides us..... Bottom line is we all hunt so who cares really. I can't say that if the opportunity presented itself that I wouldn't take a 130 cull for free!! up

Before you read the remainder of my post please take the time to read my original post on this thread so you know that I am not a fan of high fences.

Your post makes no sense. Unless they high fenced their place and trespassed on your place to get the deer off of it then they didn't hurt your herd. If your herd went down hill then it sounds like your management practices may be to blame for the smaller deer. Think of it this way, you now have a ranch that is basically high fenced........if the deer are getting smaller then it can be nothing but poor herd management on your place.

I would guess that the previous owner of the ranch next door did a good job of management and you were reaping the rewards of his work but I have no way to verify it. Can't get mad at the new guy for shutting off the flow of good bucks on his place to yours if he is the one managing the herd for bigger deer.

Just my opinion. Fire away.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Quailhunter] #912370 09/17/09 11:41 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I get to go to my buddys high fence place after Christmas. I can't wait! They have some awesome deer there, but Im really not concerned about shooting a trophy. Me being primarily a duck hunter, it's a vacation for me. I get to hang out, eat good food, see lots of deer, and sleep in till like 6 am. So its pretty sweet. I know that hunting low fence, especially public is a huge challenge, but I really like it at my buddys place. In my opinion they are doing nothing running their place like they do. Its a really nice set up and the coolest thing is that they don't charge people to hunt there, its just for friends and family.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: kdub] #912399 09/17/09 11:51 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't understand why if I want to go home with meat in the ice chest I'm a "shooter" but if I go home empty handed I'm a "hunter". I hunt on my own land, land I lease and public land. I always want to get what I went for but it doesn't always happen. If I hunt some place it is because it has a reasonable chance of success. If I pay for a hunt for something out of the ordinary and spend extra cash on it I would like a reasonable chance of success. One statement was that "Anybody who makes a profit off an animal that is natural to the state and that you did not pay for yourself is crap, I hate it. bang " Anytime you lease land to hunt on that occurs.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
How lucky can you get? [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912404 09/17/09 11:52 PM
D
deerhuntnow Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D

Now all of a sudden we have high fences and 3 sides!

Wished my neighbors would have helped pay for mine.

Last edited by deerhuntnow; 09/17/09 11:53 PM. Reason: subject
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: passthru] #912408 09/17/09 11:54 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
quit it

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: kdub] #912418 09/17/09 11:56 PM
H
Hunts_With_Stick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Quailhunter-

Our farm is 89 acres so before you tell me that my post my no sense and assume that we have bad management going on shouldnt you ask me some details? Like I said our nieghbor died and the place was sold we had a program with him that was working great. Now what doesn't make sense about being blocked out from 3 sides saying it has affected our herd, how does that not make sense? There is no travel! We have some house does and a few bucks but other than it sucks man. They have to cross a county road to get to the feeder or live underneath it for us to see deer. Does this make more sense?

Before you book travel go here>>>> www.sdc1.rovia.com <<<<
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912457 09/18/09 12:13 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quailhunter-

Our farm is 89 acres so before you tell me that my post my no sense and assume that we have bad management going on shouldnt you ask me some details? Like I said our nieghbor died and the place was sold we had a program with him that was working great. Now what doesn't make sense about being blocked out from 3 sides saying it has affected our herd, how does that not make sense? There is no travel! We have some house does and a few bucks but other than it sucks man. They have to cross a county road to get to the feeder or live underneath it for us to see deer. Does this make more sense?

Makes a lot of sense, the management of the deer herd was taking place on the neighbors ranches. If this place was in an area of a bunch of 100 acre places the deer would not be as good.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912458 09/18/09 12:13 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Your situation does stink. Bout all you can do at this point is put up the fourth side, bring in some bruiser genetics and get that 89 acres producing to it's potential.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: passthru] #912490 09/18/09 12:26 AM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: passthru
Your situation does stink. Bout all you can do at this point is put up the fourth side, bring in some bruiser genetics and get that 89 acres producing to it's potential.

+1 up

bassackwards dav
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912500 09/18/09 12:28 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quailhunter-

I understand and that suxs. But at the same time. Do you want someone telling you what you can and can not do with your own land? Or house, or Car.

There are some bright side to your niebhors building you such a great fence!!! You just have to be creative

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: Hunts_With_Stick] #912525 09/18/09 12:40 AM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quailhunter-

That sucks, do you think you could talk to him and get him to take in your 89 acres under HF to hunt and help with the costs?

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: BOBO the Clown] #912528 09/18/09 12:41 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If I had enough land and money I would high fence my place. Only so I could control what was killed and I would not have to worry about the nice 2.5 year old 8 point that I passed got killed by someone else.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: helomech] #912534 09/18/09 12:43 AM
T
txhunter24 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: helomech
If I had enough land and money I would high fence my place. Only so I could control what was killed and I would not have to worry about the nice 2.5 year old 8 point that I passed got killed by someone else.

helomech that nice young buck youve got running around is haunting you isnt he? grin

Every good and perfect gift is from above . James 1:17
Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: txhunter24] #912548 09/18/09 12:48 AM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
helo can i get your neighbors phone number?

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: txhunter24] #912552 09/18/09 12:51 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: txhunter24
Originally Posted By: helomech

helomech that nice young buck youve got running around is haunting you isnt he? grin

There are quite a few that are haunting me.

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: rstewlandman] #912554 09/18/09 12:51 AM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: rstewlandman
helo can i get your neighbors phone number?

LMAO, what for?

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: helomech] #912560 09/18/09 12:56 AM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
so i can come hunt some "pigs" on his/your fence line in november

Re: opinion on high fence hunting [Re: helomech] #912575 09/18/09 01:01 AM
A
AmoCuernos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
High fences are a tool...

I don't like them in africa...

I don't like them holding in migratory game animals (like elk and mule deer)

That being said... the range of a whitetail lends itself to a perfectly fair chase hunt under a certain sized high fence area...

Now... Fair chase to me has to do with the ability of that animal to evade...

it doesn't have anything to do with other hunters having opportunities to harvest that animal...

People forget that fair chase has nothing to do with hunting pressure...

if it did... a deer killed on the king ranch that stands there and looks at you 7 yards from your tricked out quail rig with the Ipod on Freebird would not be admitted like some New Jersey public land buck.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide