Print Thread
Why are some companies so dumb? #9044460 05/08/24 03:17 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I love Milt Sparks holsters. For the past 25 years they have had a six month to one year backlog, currently 40 weeks. If you clearly have that kind of demand why not hire and train more people to meet it? I get it takes time to train a skilled craftsman but this has been going on at least 25 years! I have ran my own business since 2007 and if I had that kind of “problem” I would have dealt with it long ago. Just think how many sales they miss because people say screw this I am not waiting that long. If they hired some more people I bet they could easily double their annual income.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044463 05/08/24 03:21 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
If they hired some more people I bet they could easily double their annual income.

They have all the money they want.

To be determined
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044465 05/08/24 03:28 AM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Owning a business and building to scale is harder than it seems. I deal with small business owners daily. We have plenty of small business owners who can weigh in on this. It's not 1+2 = 3

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044469 05/08/24 03:35 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Which holster of theirs are you wanting?

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Ox190] #9044527 05/08/24 12:59 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Ox190
Owning a business and building to scale is harder than it seems. I deal with small business owners daily. We have plenty of small business owners who can weigh in on this. It's not 1+2 = 3

This is so true. Adding more people at things is not a linear solution.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044560 05/08/24 02:07 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I agree it is not a linear progression and I understand small business. I have ran two, the first for six years until I sold it and the current one for 17 years. It is very difficult to ramp up capacity quickly but it can be done over time.

I just find it odd when businesses have that kind of backlog for decades and don’t try and meet the demand.

The holster I am looking for is an IWB for a Stacatto C2

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044561 05/08/24 02:12 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A lot of factors go into scaling as was mentioned. It is also possible the company wants to remain small to ensure demand is high and prices can be reflected in that high demand. Lots of factors into the "why" a small company wants to remain small.

Maybe they just like the people that work there and want to keep it small and intimate. I for one have a fondness for a small intimate company that puts out a good product/service. If that means I need to wait some, then so be it.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9044565 05/08/24 02:16 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Ox190

This is so true. Adding more people at things is not a linear solution.

Supply & Demand.
Hiring more people could lead to poorer quality.
Health insurance & all the other stuff goes up.
Some places just hire part/time workers , keep costs down.
Also, whin demand caught up, might have ta lay-off.
Then they might start own business, competitdown.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044609 05/08/24 03:59 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Lots of good reasons successful restaurants dont expand.
However, in your example I understand your sentiment.

Last edited by freerange; 05/08/24 04:01 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044618 05/08/24 04:06 PM
C
Captain Crunch Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
C
I respect a company that isn't all about this quarters revenue. As mentioned above, growth is more complex than most people think, even for a small business. Prioritizing employee stability and product quality is probably why they are in demand.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Texas buckeye] #9044644 05/08/24 05:01 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
A lot of factors go into scaling as was mentioned. It is also possible the company wants to remain small to ensure demand is high and prices can be reflected in that high demand. Lots of factors into the "why" a small company wants to remain small.

Maybe they just like the people that work there and want to keep it small and intimate. I for one have a fondness for a small intimate company that puts out a good product/service. If that means I need to wait some, then so be it.

^^^^This^^^ That is not a bad business model. Supply vs demand. Keep supply low and if quality is there demand will be there and keep prices high. I have a boat builder in South Texas that always has a 4 month-8 month backlog. There's also another benefit to running a business like this. It can help recession proof the business. The Boat business is VERY cyclical. Demand can be extremely high (2000-2002) or extremely low (currently). This particular builder has not had to endure the slowdown that the rest of us have. They keep building boats at fast as they can, and they are sold before they come off the assembly line. The backlog is just shorter during times of low demand.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044645 05/08/24 05:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I don’t know much about small business but worked for 2. One that eventually died and one that grew. Quality went down the drain about as quickly as growth occurred.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: unclebubba] #9044648 05/08/24 05:09 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by unclebubba

^^^^This^^^ That is not a bad business model. Supply vs demand. Keep supply low and if quality is there demand will be there and keep prices high. I have a boat builder in South Texas that always has a 4 month-8 month backlog. There's also another benefit to running a business like this. It can help recession proof the business. The Boat business is VERY cyclical. Demand can be extremely high (2000-2002) or extremely low (currently). This particular builder has not had to endure the slowdown that the rest of us have. They keep building boats at fast as they can, and they are sold before they come off the assembly line. The backlog is just shorter during times of low demand.

Somewhat like a restaurant that has a waiting line all the time. Much easier and economical to plan your staffing and product ordering. If you add on another room then you do more business sometimes but sometimes you may not. So you have to anticipate and adjust which can be done but not as easy as knowing everyday what to expect.
Javiers is the exception. He kept adding on and adding on and those Highland Park folks, and me, kept on coming.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044686 05/08/24 06:53 PM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Tony Kanaly worked for Milt Sparks, and took over the brand when Milt retired... but I haven't been to SHOT in a long time so no idea what kind of staff Tony has or has been successful in training AND retaining. Crafts like that, sometimes you become a revolving door with new hires in one side and fledgling competitors leaving through the other.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: freerange] #9044757 05/08/24 10:36 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Somewhat like a restaurant that has a waiting line all the time. Much easier and economical to plan your staffing and product ordering. If you add on another room then you do more business sometimes but sometimes you may not. So you have to anticipate and adjust which can be done but not as easy as knowing everyday what to expect.
Javiers is the exception. He kept adding on and adding on and those Highland Park folks, and me, kept on coming.

I guess I just see holsters as different than these examples. Boats are expensive to build and cyclical. Restaurants have busy and slow times. These folks take close to a year to make a holster and it has been this way for 20 years and never let up during good or bad times. I am not suggesting they expand into a crazy factory cranking out thousands a day or anything. Maybe my guesstimation of how many holsters they sell is way off but I would think adding 2-3 people could significantly move the needle on what they produce. Maybe it is one guy making them all by himself and he doesn't want to deal with employees I have no idea. As a businessman myself it just seems like such a missed opportunity as there are a million holster manufacturers out there and they must lose a ton of business due to the wait times. Sure some people will order and wait but I met a ton more won't and buy from a competitor.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044761 05/08/24 10:52 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I ran a small construction business for many years, around 15 employees. For one and a half years I doubled that to 30 employees. I didn't make any more money and worked a lot harder. I just couldn't keep my eye on everything like I could with 15. I spent all my time chasing work. I we back to 15 employees and was much happier.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Stompy] #9044793 05/08/24 11:46 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Stompy
I ran a small construction business for many years, around 15 employees. For one and a half years I doubled that to 30 employees. I didn't make any more money and worked a lot harder. I just couldn't keep my eye on everything like I could with 15. I spent all my time chasing work. I we back to 15 employees and was much happier.

Amen, work smarter!

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044814 05/09/24 12:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I agree it is not a linear progression and I understand small business. I have ran two, the first for six years until I sold it and the current one for 17 years. It is very difficult to ramp up capacity quickly but it can be done over time.

I just find it odd when businesses have that kind of backlog for decades and don’t try and meet the demand.

The holster I am looking for is an IWB for a Stacatto C2

It shows in stock for a Stacatto C2.

https://www.monkeyedge.com/milt-sparks-holsters-versa-max-2

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044817 05/09/24 12:56 AM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I own and run my small business. I don't have a website. My phone, email and address are unlisted. The only way you can reach me the first time is by referral from someone who knows me. I have 2 employees. I make tons of money. No interest in engaging Joe public or the HR hassle of more employees. Work all over the world. Typically (odd exception like POs from municipalities that i know are good for the money) first time clients pay 100% up front before i will even order material - doesn't matter who they are or who referred them. Won't work for any religious organization ever no matter what they offer me. Won't work for anyone referred by my in-laws - no exceptions. My referrals are often off the record referrals from regulatory authorities who technically are not supposed to do that. My favorite clients are typically first generation rich people that came out of poverty and busted their balls to do it - like me. That's just how i roll and anyone who doesn't like it is free to go elsewhere. Over the last 25 years i have had many opportunities to grow bigger if i wanted to but it just does not suit me. I don't cheat my clients ever - but i also make damn sure i make good margin/profit on everything i do - i also tell my clients that up front.

For the record my business is design, construction and operations and maintenance of water and wastewater treatment facilities (Am a PE and have level 4 operators licenses across the board) - mostly do Safe Drinking Water Act And Water Resources Act sites where i have i reputation as a fixer that can make the bad guys (government enforcement officers) go away.

Sample referral sent by a sub contractor last week to someone that wanted my services:

[Linked Image]

I am a control freak and know it. That being said in 25 years (started my gig in mid 30s - should have started earlier) i have never been stiffed for a single penny.

Last edited by Hirogen; 05/09/24 01:47 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044821 05/09/24 01:14 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Small businesses that are crafts or skilled tradesman do not hire many employees to protect the quality of their products. If it is a one man shop or a partnership the business bookeeping is pretty simple

Add employees the bookkeeping becomes a monthly or quarterly expense. Employee insurance, payroll bookkeeping, quarterly reports and payments to the IRS and to the state.

Quality, there are enough threads about the quality of some of today's employees. Leather work takes experienced or trained people. A month of training is a drop in the bucket, that's all lost production time. A lot of material costs will be lost in the training period.

If after a year the employee quits, that would be a huge loss to the owner

6 months of lost production during the training of the employee and the owner. If the employee was good, he/she could become competition by creating his own business.

Quality and low production from small one man shops causes high prices but are usually worth it.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044831 05/09/24 01:40 AM
B
blanked Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I never owned a business but i would bet my paycheck the biggest headache is dealing with employees

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044912 05/09/24 11:02 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Across the street from where I work is a small restoration shop that does all their vintage Ferrari, Bugatti, and Mercedes-Benz work by hand using traditional methods. Many of the cars are seven or even eight digit insured when complete. Bob, the owner, must want to take on your project for it to get done regardless of how much money you have. And don't ask how much or how long. The waitlist to start most projects is 36 months. When you're the best, you can set your own tempo.

Are these holsters that good? I have no idea.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: Sewer rat] #9044928 05/09/24 11:56 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Owning a small business does not mean scaling up. More sales do not equal more profit and owning a business is much better than a business that owns you, I hope Milt Sparks has a balanced life, spends time w family and works on his passion!!!

Big Beckett!!
Re: Why are some companies so dumb? [Re: blanked] #9044930 05/09/24 12:00 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by blanked
I never owned a business but i would bet my paycheck the biggest headache is dealing with employees

Seems there's always that one to deal with. Hiring lately is a real PITA, slim pickings.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide