Print Thread
Baiting for night hunts #9014350 03/03/24 07:11 PM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Planning to get out and do some night hunting next week.

What is your typical strategy related to bait? In the past I’ve corned a few roads and then just check each feeder but would like to hear from some of the experts.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9014653 03/04/24 02:12 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
First and foremost, my feeders only go off in the evening. That is is dissuade my hog traffic from thinking there is food there during the day when I can't be there. If you are doing the typical sunrise/sunset corn spitting, then part of your effort is to getting hogs on your place when you aren't hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9014975 03/05/24 12:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Throw corn in tall grass so they have to spend a lot time there finding it. If you don't have any tall grass, bring a shovel and mix it with dirt. They will root around for hours to get it all.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9019086 03/14/24 04:23 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I use a Pig Pipe. I saw it on here over 10 yrs ago. I still use the two I made. ( I filled one up today ). They find them and they will roll the pipe to get corn out. After a time it looks like a "crop circle". They can't just come and clean up a pile of corn in 5 min when your not there. Here is the list of stuff I used for my pipes.

This will make 2 pipes. If you want one cut the supplies to fit your build.

I bought one stick of 4" Pvc sch 4o pipe 10' and made two pipes.
2 - 4" Pvc caps
2 - 4" PVC cleanout caps with screw in plug.
2 - 3/8" 4"/6" eye bolts I used Stainless Steel ( and had to weld the eye closed later after they opened it up some)
2 - 3/16 or 1/4" wire cable. I use about 6' per cable, the original post said that they would break rope, so I took the advice.
8 - wire cable clamps to make loops for attachment.
8 - 3/8" nuts
4 - 3/8" flat washers ( I use large one, but still 3/8 hole )
2 - metal stakes about 3' long. ( I live on a farm so I use a broken T- post, or some one could get one T- post and cut in half. )

How I build mine. I took the 4" cap and drilled a 3/8 hole in center of cap. Placed the eye bolt with two nuts screwed on the eye end with one large flat washer and place it in the hole, ( eye to the outside) and then placed the a flat washer on the inside portion of the screw threads and screwed two more 3/8 nuts on the threads. I run the nuts down to where there was just enough room for the eye bolt to spin with the large flat washers sandwiching the PVC cap. I then " JAM NUT the nuts so they will not back off. Make sure it spins easily. Glue the cap on one end of the pipe. Now glue the cleanout plug on the other end with the screw cap out. Drill about 5-6 holes about 5/8" around the last foot of pipe next to the cleanout plug, but scattered. I go around the pipe with the holes so as they roll the pipe it drops the corn out. I then place the cable through the eye and make a small loop and secure with the clamps ( usually two). Then I make another loop and secure with clamps. I drive the metal stake into the ground where I want the pipe and drop the free end loop over the stake. I leave the stake up about 2' or so. Fill the pipe with corn ( holds about 15#) and hand tight the screw in cap.

Put you a camera on it and enjoy. After they find it you can better know where and when to find them. I wish I could remember who put this on here 10-12 years ago so I could give credit. I have seen them lay down and sleep next to it while others are eating at it. I have not had the eye bolt break out, but they would round and round this thing until they get it next to the stake and that is how they put enough pressure on the eye bolt to open.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9019089 03/14/24 04:38 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I use a Pig Pipe. I saw it on here over 10 yrs ago. I still use the two I made. ( I filled one up today ). They find them and they will roll the pipe to get corn out. After a time it looks like a "crop circle". They can't just come and clean up a pile of corn in 5 min when your not there. Here is the list of stuff I used for my pipes.

This will make 2 pipes. If you want one cut the supplies to fit your build.

I bought one stick of 4" Pvc sch 4o pipe 10' and made two pipes.
2 - 4" Pvc caps
2 - 4" PVC cleanout caps with screw in plug.
2 - 3/8" 4"/6" eye bolts I used Stainless Steel ( and had to weld the eye closed later after they opened it up some)
2 - 3/16 or 1/4" wire cable. I use about 6' per cable, the original post said that they would break rope, so I took the advice.
8 - wire cable clamps to make loops for attachment.
8 - 3/8" nuts
4 - 3/8" flat washers ( I use large one, but still 3/8 hole )
2 - metal stakes about 3' long. ( I live on a farm so I use a broken T- post, or some one could get one T- post and cut in half. )

How I build mine. I took the 4" cap and drilled a 3/8 hole in center of cap. Placed the eye bolt with two nuts screwed on the eye end with one large flat washer and place it in the hole, ( eye to the outside) and then placed the a flat washer on the inside portion of the screw threads and screwed two more 3/8 nuts on the threads. I run the nuts down to where there was just enough room for the eye bolt to spin with the large flat washers sandwiching the PVC cap. I then " JAM NUT the nuts so they will not back off. Make sure it spins easily. Glue the cap on one end of the pipe. Now glue the cleanout plug on the other end with the screw cap out. Drill about 5-6 holes about 5/8" around the last foot of pipe next to the cleanout plug, but scattered. I go around the pipe with the holes so as they roll the pipe it drops the corn out. I then place the cable through the eye and make a small loop and secure with the clamps ( usually two). Then I make another loop and secure with clamps. I drive the metal stake into the ground where I want the pipe and drop the free end loop over the stake. I leave the stake up about 2' or so. Fill the pipe with corn ( holds about 15#) and hand tight the screw in cap.

Put you a camera on it and enjoy. After they find it you can better know where and when to find them. I wish I could remember who put this on here 10-12 years ago so I could give credit. I have seen them lay down and sleep next to it while others are eating at it. I have not had the eye bolt break out, but they would round and round this thing until they get it next to the stake and that is how they put enough pressure on the eye bolt to open.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9020413 03/17/24 12:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
[Linked Image]

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9020569 03/17/24 01:17 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
We just use a feeder set to go off in the morning and evening, have game cameras on the feeders and hunt when the hogs are showing up.

If you are only going to hunt at night, set the feeders to go off in the evening.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9037364 04/22/24 07:13 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I make the corn/beer/strawberry jello sour mash in a 5 gallon bucket and spread it around in the afternoon. Throw the juice up into the trees so the scent really carries.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #9037476 04/22/24 11:53 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
I make the corn/beer/strawberry jello sour mash in a 5 gallon bucket and spread it around in the afternoon. Throw the juice up into the trees so the scent really carries.

I make a similar concoction, but I use yeast if no stale beer is available. Got a batch "brewing" right now, just waiting for a stretch of rain free days to get to the lease.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9037644 04/23/24 02:55 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The problem with using pig pipes for trying to bait hogs at night is that pig pipes don't have a timer. They are available to feed your hogs 24/7 until they run out. Using a pig pipe does nothing particularly helpful for night hunting.

The beauty of pig pipes is that they anchor the hogs longer once there, but you could be anchoring your hogs from 6:00 am to noon, emptying the pipe of the bait, and then have zero hogs at night.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: Double Naught Spy] #9037670 04/23/24 03:47 PM
JDP Ranch Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
The problem with using pig pipes for trying to bait hogs at night is that pig pipes don't have a timer. They are available to feed your hogs 24/7 until they run out. Using a pig pipe does nothing particularly helpful for night hunting.

The beauty of pig pipes is that they anchor the hogs longer once there, but you could be anchoring your hogs from 6:00 am to noon, emptying the pipe of the bait, and then have zero hogs at night.

Can confirm. I made two pipes and don't use them anymore as the hogs tended to frequent when I wasn't there. Seemed like it took a day or so for the area to "cool down" from my scent before the hogs would interact with the pipes.

Corning roads had mixed results. Best results come from timed feeders.

If you don't have any feeders and don't want to mess with making your own attractant - I found that spreading protein (the berry scented one) worked pretty well.

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9037776 04/23/24 07:17 PM
K
KK30RAR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
I agree pig pipes are useless they don’t hold enough corn but on the other hand i made pig barrel’s they hold close to 100 pounds they’ll last a week or more with just two 5/8 holes on opposite sides they also tend to bring in larger boars little pigs don’t mess with the barrels I also have little to no daylight activity with these barrels .[Linked Image]

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9037853 04/23/24 10:10 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
for quick baiting, corn, strawberry jello or hawg wild attractant and this.

[Linked Image]

I get mine at atwoods or tractor supply when they have it.

dig a hole about 18" deep, put about 1/3 bag of corn and half a large jello pkg and cover, stomp down so they have to work some. spread rest of bag of corn and jello in a half circle around where the buried corn is. spray the sow in heat on the ground in 2-3 places, I put it on clumps of grass. just watch that you don't use the whole can, don't need to (nozzle latches down for fogging) and spray a couple of short shots in the air.

if you have a large sounder they will make short work of the corn on the ground then they have to dig for the other, while they are head down you get a good shot.

Last edited by hopalong; 04/23/24 10:13 PM.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9038005 04/24/24 05:09 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
And that only works at night?

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: scot] #9038042 04/24/24 12:07 PM
D
diablodog Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Yes , best after 2am when the bars close .

Re: Baiting for night hunts [Re: diablodog] #9038956 04/26/24 05:17 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by diablodog
Yes , best after 2am when the bars close .

roflmao

use it sparingly. roflmao

I use that behind the lodge, 100 yds. from the patio and bring in the solo boars. the stuff works (day or night)

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide