Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: 68rustbucket] #9037886 04/23/24 11:10 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I’ve had good luck with T-Bills on the Treasury Direct site. Have some 4, 13, and 52 week issued. The 4 week I have them renew automatically, in case I’ll need it for some reason. Paying around 5.25% these days.

Is there a 10k limit on t bills. ?

There is in an I bond, but I’ve put more than that in a 13 week T-bill recently. Another plus is you don’t have to physically go to the bank and fill out a bunch of paper, like when I bought a couple CDs last year. It can be handled on the Treasury website.

you can do a CD online with a simple application - I bonds have a 10k limit - Tbills no limit

You can't fix stupid
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: tlk] #9037887 04/23/24 11:11 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I’ve had good luck with T-Bills on the Treasury Direct site. Have some 4, 13, and 52 week issued. The 4 week I have them renew automatically, in case I’ll need it for some reason. Paying around 5.25% these days.

Is there a 10k limit on t bills. ?

There is in an I bond, but I’ve put more than that in a 13 week T-bill recently. Another plus is you don’t have to physically go to the bank and fill out a bunch of paper, like when I bought a couple CDs last year. It can be handled on the Treasury website.

you can do a CD online with a simple application - I bonds have a 10k limit - Tbills no limit

No CD online with Frost Bank.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Mr. T.] #9037892 04/23/24 11:20 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by blanked
All CDs fully mature in 12 months despite claiming its a 6 or 9 month CD.

Consider laddered CDs. Every 3 months open a new CD so they mature at different times giving you access

Please explain. If I buy a 9 month at 5% CD, I get 5% for nine months and my money at the end of nine months......don't I?

No. That 5% rate is an APR rate. Meaning annual percentage rate. So you will get less than the 5% APR after 9 months. Read the fine print to confirm. Or ask the bank specifically what rate you will receive since you didnt have a full 12 month agreement. Also you need to be aware the agreement can be cancelled by the bank if the rate goes down during your contract. You have the option to lock in another rate if that should happen but the new lock in rate will be less than the 5% they advertised . Called Put Options

Last edited by blanked; 04/23/24 11:32 PM.
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038013 04/24/24 09:47 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

There is in an I bond, but I’ve put more than that in a 13 week T-bill recently. Another plus is you don’t have to physically go to the bank and fill out a bunch of paper, like when I bought a couple CDs last year. It can be handled on the Treasury website.[/quote]

you can do a CD online with a simple application - I bonds have a 10k limit - Tbills no limit[/quote]
No CD online with Frost Bank.[/quote]

I was referring to online banks - Capital One, Marcus, Fidelity etc. have good rates and very simple online application

You can't fix stupid
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Gringo Bling] #9038021 04/24/24 10:17 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by RedRanger

Please explain. If I buy a 9 month at 5% CD, I get 5% for nine months and my money at the end of nine months......don't I?

Yep

The 5% in your example is the APY, which is annualized. So 9 months is 75% of a year. That means you would earn ~75% of the annualized 5% rate. Say you started with $10,000. At the end of 9 months, you'd get 9/12 * 5.0% * $10,000 = $375 in interest plus your initial deposit of $10,000.

Same difference, you can try to explain it all you want. It's still 5% per year, whether you go 1 month or 5 years.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: tlk] #9038022 04/24/24 10:19 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by tlk
I will take 5% with no risk all day long. As others have said if you have other access to money then locking in a CD for a year or two is good stuff IMO.

For money you are willing to lock up for longer a multi year fixed annuity is paying in the 6% range and that rate is guaranteed either 3 or 5 years (your choice) and all of the earnings are tax deferred until you withdraw it. No fees other than a penalty if you withdraw more than 10% in a single year.

I have placed some of my long term money into several 5 year fixed annuities at 6%.

Link please to this fixed annuity paying in the 6% range.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: blanked] #9038023 04/24/24 10:23 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Consider laddered CDs. Every 3 months open a new CD so they mature at different times giving you access

No. That 5% rate is an APR rate. Meaning annual percentage rate. So you will get less than the 5% APR after 9 months. Read the fine print to confirm. Or ask the bank specifically what rate you will receive since you didnt have a full 12 month agreement. Also you need to be aware the agreement can be cancelled by the bank if the rate goes down during your contract. You have the option to lock in another rate if that should happen but the new lock in rate will be less than the 5% they advertised . Called Put Options

Of course the 5% is the annual rate.

Banks can't cancel a CD term if rates go down, where did you get that from.

You are paid the gauranteed percentage rate you sign up for.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: RedRanger] #9038024 04/24/24 10:31 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk
I will take 5% with no risk all day long. As others have said if you have other access to money then locking in a CD for a year or two is good stuff IMO.

For money you are willing to lock up for longer a multi year fixed annuity is paying in the 6% range and that rate is guaranteed either 3 or 5 years (your choice) and all of the earnings are tax deferred until you withdraw it. No fees other than a penalty if you withdraw more than 10% in a single year.

I have placed some of my long term money into several 5 year fixed annuities at 6%.

https://www.annuity.org/annuities/rates/

I have an Atlantic Coast fixed annuity

Last edited by tlk; 04/24/24 10:32 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038025 04/24/24 10:36 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
up

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: RedRanger] #9038040 04/24/24 11:57 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Of course the 5% is the annual rate.

Banks can't cancel a CD term if rates go down, where did you get that from.

You are paid the gauranteed percentage rate you sign up for.

Again the locked in rate that’s guaranteed is a lower rate. Not the advertised rate. They cancel CDs all the time if the rates go down.

Last edited by blanked; 04/24/24 12:10 PM.
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038045 04/24/24 12:18 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
5% is a good rate. However, none of it makes sense when the real rate of inflation is greater than 5%.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: tlk] #9038055 04/24/24 01:04 PM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

Good grief man, couldn't you find a weaker rated insurance company. You might as well have put your funds in Micky Mouse Life Insurance Company of Argentina.

Rating (Rating Category):
Affiliation Code:
B++ u (Good)
g (Group)
Outlook (or Implication): Negative
Action: Under Review
Effective Date: February 23, 2024
Initial Rating Date: June 30, 1976

Annuities have their place. However, I wouldn't put a dime in anything but the strongest like Northwestern Mutual, New York Life, etc.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: blanked] #9038081 04/24/24 01:58 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M

[/quote]

Again the locked in rate that’s guaranteed is a lower rate. Not the advertised rate. They cancel CDs all the time if the rates go down.

[/quote]

Worked in banking for over 20 years, at every bank you've ever heard of and some you haven't... Never seen a bank cancel a CD when rates went down.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038114 04/24/24 03:37 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Between those two, obviously the CD.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038119 04/24/24 03:57 PM
Tbar Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I appreciate the input.

I had looked at a 2 year treasury and a 2 year JPM new issue, callable CD and the CD had a higher rate.

I was comparing those to the liquid money market which wasn't that far behind.

I don't need the money. My decision is do I lock in the rate as the fed keeps saying they are going to cut in the future or keep it liquid in case a better opportunity comes up. Ie - higher inflation drive up rates.

Make America Great Again

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038130 04/24/24 04:41 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Tbar
I appreciate the input.

I had looked at a 2 year treasury and a 2 year JPM new issue, callable CD and the CD had a higher rate.

I was comparing those to the liquid money market which wasn't that far behind.

I don't need the money. My decision is do I lock in the rate as the fed keeps saying they are going to cut in the future or keep it liquid in case a better opportunity comes up. Ie - higher inflation drive up rates.

A more specific question, so good for you on that. The more general question brought in some good info for all, so that had value. Hopefully the experts can offer more than a flip of the coin answer. I can’t.
I’m always hedging my bet so I have some of both.

Last edited by freerange; 04/24/24 04:42 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: DannyB] #9038288 04/25/24 01:44 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DannyB
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

Good grief man, couldn't you find a weaker rated insurance company. You might as well have put your funds in Micky Mouse Life Insurance Company of Argentina.

Rating (Rating Category):
Affiliation Code:
B++ u (Good)
g (Group)
Outlook (or Implication): Negative
Action: Under Review
Effective Date: February 23, 2024
Initial Rating Date: June 30, 1976

Annuities have their place. However, I wouldn't put a dime in anything but the strongest like Northwestern Mutual, New York Life, etc.

Sir I do not need you preaching to me and your smart [censored] remarks - I bought my annuity two years ago and AC was well rated. The very recent downgrade in their rating is news to me that just came out in the last two months - and by the way Texas has a guarantee fund for up to $250.000 to protect consumers. My post did not tell others to buy their annuities - I simply stated that I had one of their annuities - chill out

You can't fix stupid
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: blanked] #9038333 04/25/24 10:48 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Wrong again

You must be looking at some oddball CD

Legit Banks like Capital One or Bank OZK don't have silly stuff like that, you can go read thier CD Disclousure.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: tlk] #9038355 04/25/24 01:16 PM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Sir I do not need you preaching to me and your smart [censored] remarks - I bought my annuity two years ago and AC was well rated. The very recent downgrade in their rating is news to me that just came out in the last two months - and by the way Texas has a guarantee fund for up to $250.000 to protect consumers. My post did not tell others to buy their annuities - I simply stated that I had one of their annuities - chill out [/quote]

I'll just refer you to the Age vs. humor thread. I'm in my upper 60's and I guess humor is one of the perks of age. You ended that post with chill out. Hmmm.........

I think annuities are great for several reasons, the best being liability protection. If TX law hasn't changed in recent years an annuity is shielded from litigation.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: blanked] #9038374 04/25/24 02:06 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

Like Red Ranger has pointed out, you are wrong. Fixed-rate CDs have rates that remain unchanged until maturity.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Gringo Bling] #9038618 04/25/24 10:44 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

Like Red Ranger has pointed out, you are wrong. Fixed-rate CDs have rates that remain unchanged until maturity.

Read. As i have been saying the higher CD rates can be terminated. Callable CDs pay more than fix rate which i have been calling locked in rates

Callable CDs work similarly although there’s one key difference: they carry a call feature. This means that banks can terminate the CD before it matures. Banks usually have to wait a defined period of time before they’re able to call a CD.

If a bank does call your CD, you get to keep the principal (or the amount you initially invested) and the interest payments you’ve accrued up until the date it was called. You won’t get the remainder of interest you would have earned had the CD reached maturity.

Last edited by blanked; 04/25/24 10:51 PM.
Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Mistereeee] #9038683 04/26/24 12:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Originally Posted by Mistereeee

Worked in banking for over 20 years, at every bank you've ever heard of and some you haven't... Never seen a bank cancel a CD when rates went down.

That makes me wonder if it happens with any frequency.

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038702 04/26/24 01:52 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have a question for the experts. We have an extra business account with Bank of palestine (America) We opened it as a secondary account to our normal Chase business account ( these 2 locations are across the street from another on Town East Bld in mesquite, where we use to live) So we NEVER use that account...it has close to 10k just sitting there, not growing, not going down, I wonder if they think were dead lol, its been 10 years at least when we opened it, threw a little money in it as a backup account.

What would the experts do with it? We don't need it .....yet

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: Tbar] #9038712 04/26/24 02:14 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I need to Check into this more. But in my Fidelity 401k I went very conservative.

Does Fidelity offer CD type interest of something similar to 5 percent?

Re: CD or Money Market [Re: BDB] #9038713 04/26/24 02:14 AM
S
scot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BDB
I have a question for the experts. We have an extra business account with Bank of palestine (America) We opened it as a secondary account to our normal Chase business account ( these 2 locations are across the street from another on Town East Bld in mesquite, where we use to live) So we NEVER use that account...it has close to 10k just sitting there, not growing, not going down, I wonder if they think were dead lol, its been 10 years at least when we opened it, threw a little money in it as a backup account.

What would the experts do with it? We don't need it .....yet

Not an expert but stayed in a holiday inn once.

When you say don’t need it, this year? The next 5 years? 10+ years?

The answer could be Money Market at Vanguard or other brokerage making 5.3% totally liquid but will change as federal rates change. 1-3 years, a CD is attractive if you can lock in guaranteed over 5.

If you have 5-10 years you need to be in a total market stock fund.

People are real excited about 5% guaranteed, however the whole market is up 30% the past year. If you can accept the risk you can expect 7-10% returns annually if you don’t sell when it has a down turn.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide