Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9036455 04/20/24 05:12 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Some of yall are so critical. Have yall ever been in an environment where you dont know everything? I agree, when a guy "acts" like he knows it all(and doesnt) thats one thing, but some guys are just novice and should be cut some slack(a lot).
Ive never heard the term "heads" but I would assume its just a slang term that is common wherever they come from.
Go up North and say "yall" and get back with me.

Last edited by freerange; 04/20/24 05:13 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: freerange] #9036497 04/20/24 06:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange
Some of yall are so critical. Have yall ever been in an environment where you dont know everything? I agree, when a guy "acts" like he knows it all(and doesnt) thats one thing, but some guys are just novice and should be cut some slack(a lot).
Ive never heard the term "heads" but I would assume its just a slang term that is common wherever they come from.

The final step in playing "gotcha" with some gun store employee - Comment about it on social media.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/20/24 07:01 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: jsteve] #9036524 04/20/24 07:55 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by jsteve
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Nolanco
I've been on the other side of the counter -- at a Sportsman's Warehouse some years back -- and we always got a chuckle when some clown walked up and asked "Where do you keep the heads."

WTH were they looking for?

I've only ever heard one person call bullets used for reloading "heads". He was from Kansas or Missouri or something. I thought it was weird then and I still do.

It's not always the counter-people. I have heard some really stupid shoppers too. It's like they go to the store (or a gun show in my case as I don't buy new) just to see if they can tell someone else what to buy or not buy and why.

These are the people that never buy anything themselves.

Thanks. After reading further down about a customer wanting to know how much to "stainless" his blued 38, I can pretty much say I have heard it all now. Not really, I know there are many more dufus's out there that will top this. I really have never heard bullets called heads, ROFLMAO!

Back when the mythical black rhino ammo was being produced (I never saw a box of it), a customer came in and asked me for some black hippo ammo
roflmao

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9036569 04/20/24 09:40 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Sales people are sales people. Was in Daytona Academy week ago. Guy bought a 308W 'cheap' bolt rifle. He was going to get a cheap Vortex to put on it. I talked to him for a bit, he wanted to shoot long range stuff. 400$ rifle and 200$ scope. He left without the scope, sales people said nothing. Did see a bag of once fired 300BO cases, about a buck apiece. Same for mil 7.62 stuff - I got 500 of those, I could make some coin.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: freerange] #9036734 04/21/24 09:49 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Go up North

No thanks

Pass the gravy.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: GasGuzzler] #9036784 04/21/24 01:47 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Nolanco
I've been on the other side of the counter -- at a Sportsman's Warehouse some years back -- and we always got a chuckle when some clown walked up and asked "Where do you keep the heads."

WTH were they looking for?

I've only ever heard one person call bullets used for reloading "heads". He was from Kansas or Missouri or something. I thought it was weird then and I still do.

It's not always the counter-people. I have heard some really stupid shoppers too. It's like they go to the store (or a gun show in my case as I don't buy new) just to see if they can tell someone else what to buy or not buy and why.

These are the people that never buy anything themselves.

Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard that one before.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: freerange] #9036860 04/21/24 03:51 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General

Of course, and it's those times that I stop talking. The first lesson is to understand that there's always someone else who has more knowledge and experience than you- a lesson some never learn. Admittedly, I learned that one the hard way... but I learned it.

When it comes to something like firearms and all associated aspects, folks who don't know what they're talking about should really shut their mouths. Ignorant advice can change someone's life forever.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9036886 04/21/24 04:28 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Some day you’ll reach a day when it’s all just “Blab” …you’ll be able to look someone right in the eyes, and never hear a thing, or be in a group and act social, but not care a bit. And actually, what comes out of you is blab. It comes with age. Know what you want, get it, and go…otherwise the guy at the fishing counter is coming.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9036941 04/21/24 07:17 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
So, where does one find knowledgeable people in a sporting goods store? Is it a matter of the store being unable to find experienced help?

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Wilhunt] #9036992 04/21/24 10:01 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
So, where does one find knowledgeable people in a sporting goods store? Is it a matter of the store being unable to find experienced help?

Not Academy. They hire inexperienced people and just sell products. People who have the knowledge and experience work at other stores.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Wilhunt] #9037154 04/22/24 11:17 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Someplace where the prices are high enough to employ experts. The catch is most consumers as well as THF members would rather buy cheap and ridicule the employees than pay for expertise.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 04/22/24 11:20 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Smokey Bear] #9037162 04/22/24 11:43 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Someplace where the prices are high enough to employ experts. The catch is most consumers as well as THF members would rather buy cheap and ridicule the employees than pay for expertise.

THIS

Pass the gravy.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Wilhunt] #9037210 04/22/24 01:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

YouTube is full of videos that share the good, bad, and ugly on just about anything you can buy. And just store employees, it's up to you to decide who's telling the truth.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: ntxtrapper] #9037223 04/22/24 01:51 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Not Academy. They hire inexperienced people and just sell products. People who have the knowledge and experience work at other stores.

The expert posters on this thread have a condescending attitude to employees of all stores, not just Academy.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Gringo Bling] #9037226 04/22/24 02:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

The expert posters on this thread have a condescending attitude to employees of all stores, not just Academy.

You must be referring to the group I've coined as being members of the "Prick Clique". Not surprising some despise YouTube and other online sources where information and opinions can be freely shared and where guidelines are strictly enforced.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/22/24 02:44 PM.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Smokey Bear] #9037279 04/22/24 03:36 PM
H
HenryL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

The basis of that statement really comes down to the standard American outlook on life really. Our fellow brothers and sisters here in America would rather buy the cheaper products made overseas than buy more expensive products made in America ... all the while complaining that all of our manufacturing has been outsourced. Same thing as going to the store with the cheapest products and complaining that the staff are ignorant.

People want to pay the least possible while receiving the highest quality of service and product possible... the two things don't exist together...you get one or the other. And 99% of the time, 99% of Americans choose their products based on price alone....and it's usually the cheapest price.

This fundamental reality... in no small part due to excessive American wages (compared to the rest of the world) and other excessive expenses caused by government red tape and taxation, is why manufacturing for 95% of industries will never return to America in any meaningful way. Because people will never be willing to buy products at the cost that would be required for American manufacturing.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Smokey Bear] #9037284 04/22/24 03:42 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

I nominate this for THF Quote of the Year award!!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9037331 04/22/24 05:32 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
10 years ago or so there was a gunshop in the Denton area that posted in the classifieds here regularly. They would assemble an AR upper for you for $25 if you had the parts so I went up there one day with my parts and paid $25. I asked if I could watch because I was wanting to learn how to do it. Long story short I sat in with a couple of the "gunsmiths" while they put it together. Listening to the 2 guys talk I learned that AK's are better than AR"s because you can shoot down helicopters with AK's and no way in heck you can with an AR. I'd like to think they were joking but it was a serious conversation.

Also, when I asked them to check the headspace on the 300 blk upper after it was done he said he didn't have 300blk go / no go gauges so they were going to use 5.56. I said that ain't going to work and he said sure it will, same case.......long story short it didn't.

So dumbassery is not limited to just the gun counters in a gun store. I quit asking questions at them years ago.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9037366 04/22/24 07:15 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Wonder what some people expect.........walk into Academy and speak to John Freaking Browning III ?

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9037369 04/22/24 07:24 PM
P
papa45 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
I kind of wish now I hadn’t even started this thread. My opening statement was, “I don't want to start another "How dumb those guys at Academy are" thread. A couple of the guys at my local Academy are really quite knowledgeable.” I just wanted to share an amusing encounter and didn’t expect so many responses.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9037402 04/22/24 08:42 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My daughter and my grandson bought a bike for his birthday on Friday at Academy. No one helped them whatsoever - getting it off the rack, loading it, etc. Service at Academy sux. If the kids that "work" there are just gonna play grab-azz all day, as they seem to be every time I've gone in there, they could increase their profits by not hiring them in the first place. Accepting crappy service is how we got here. I made my living in sales and I busted my butt to take care of the customer. It was taught to me.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 04/22/24 08:43 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: papa45] #9037658 04/23/24 03:18 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a nationwide retail store and expected expertise at the gun counter.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Creekrunner] #9037683 04/23/24 04:25 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
My daughter and my grandson bought a bike for his birthday on Friday at Academy. No one helped them whatsoever - getting it off the rack, loading it, etc. Service at Academy sux. If the kids that "work" there are just gonna play grab-azz all day, as they seem to be every time I've gone in there, they could increase their profits by not hiring them in the first place. Accepting crappy service is how we got here. I made my living in sales and I busted my butt to take care of the customer. It was taught to me.

That's why bike shops exist. Every time I step foot in my local bike shop, the employees are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Expertise doesn't come cheap. Expectations should be tempered if you're buying a bike from Academy.

Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Gringo Bling] #9037718 04/23/24 05:26 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That's why bike shops exist. Every time I step foot in my local bike shop, the employees are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Expertise doesn't come cheap. Expectations should be tempered if you're buying a bike from Academy.

I’ll beat Gasguz to it and say I agree.
And as my sig line says, “keep your gratitude higher than your expectations”.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Fun at Academy [Re: Gringo Bling] #9037728 04/23/24 05:54 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Prove it. Post it up where I have a condescending attitude towards employees of all stores. I managed a real gun store and was an archery mechanic back when the equipment required specialized knowledge so I know a bit about the subject.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide