H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
So I am currently halfway through a 14 day trip to Italy. I am here with my wife who is working with 15 colleges students from TTU. They are working in two hospitals located in and around Bologna.

It’s been quite eye opening. The level of care here is actually comparable to the US and in some ways better and some ways worse. However, what has been the most educational for me is learning that they pay over 40% in taxes and the wages are very low.

Some of the people we are working with have a net pay of $2200 a month with very similar living expenses as we have. Similar careers in the US would have salaries more than double that. Even paying $1000 for health insurance they would come out better in the US.

We talk a lot about the fact universal health care isn’t “free” from the conservative view point, just interesting to see it first hand.

The biggest take-away from countries like Italy, is that the treatment received may not be the best every time, but you will never have to worry about going bankrupt. Still, Italians have much better outcomes than Americans. Their system is ranked among the highest performers such as France and Norway, while ours is towards the bottom with Mexico and Algeria.

For whatever reason, much less obesity in Italy. Much less. Life choices again.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036398 04/20/24 03:18 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
World Healthcare system ranking and comparisons is a bunch of BS. It's simply not apples to apples.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: Hudbone] #9036399 04/20/24 03:20 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Plain & simple, if you can pay for it, you should have access to it. If not, then no. That be the only way to bring a competitive edge to that marketplace.

The problem with that is it increases costs for the people who pay anyways.

You'll have a much unhealthier community using the resources regardless of the ability to pay because of legislation around emergency care etc.

Take legislation out of it. Where is freedom to enjoy good health written in the Constitution? Maybe if people had to suffer from the consequences of their chosen bad actions, they could live in such a manner as to be more healthy. If not, it is their choice after all, why should we pay for it? If they didn’t, it could save on social security benefits.

The Injuns had it right.

I don't think cancer, genetic hypertension, and other maladies are choices.

My personal opinion is that my fellow conservatives refuse to look at most issues from a viewpoint different than "eff you, freedom!", and don't see the big picture. Healthcare is so much more complicated than that. The current state of affairs aside, governments have a duty to provide the best possible environment for its citizens. One of those is health.

We already use international systems of healthcare here in the US with good results. The VHA is modeled after the UK's NHS, while Medicare is comparable to Canada's system.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036403 04/20/24 03:26 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If the US government was serious about citizen healthcare would they still favor the big snack companies in Farm Bills and welfare spending? Very contradictory to spend so many tax dollars on welfare peddling junk food and claim a stance in encouraging citizen health. That kind of cronyism is a large part of Americans being so large and un-healthy.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036437 04/20/24 04:36 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
That’s why I made sure to point out that the current affairs aren’t in line with the concept of good government.

I actually don’t like the ACA, which tried to be the national system. It was passed through bullying and deceptive tactics; “we have to pass it to see what’s in it”. Ethically established national healthcare would work like it is in France and Norway.

I use the VHA exclusively and am satisfied. Yes, the wait times can be frustrating, but the savings are worth it.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036439 04/20/24 04:40 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ten years, i think you are in health admin or something similar and look at data, but simply looking at data is NOT the whole story. Data can be made to say whatever you want it to say. So trying to compare any other system in the world to the US system is simply a foolhardy attempt to push an agenda, and nothing more.

Name one country you would rather be in if you had a heart attack, a cancer diagnosis, or needed a trauma surgery. Name one other country you would rather be in for choices of care, ability to get care if you are not happy with where ypu are currently receiving care, or ability to switch doctors if not happy.

The VA is nothing like the UK healthcare, in that the VA routinely uses civilian providers to take care of backlog and allow veterans to get timely care or care that can not be provided in the VA system. The UK does not have that fallback option. Medicare is nothing like the canadian system in that the canadian system runs out of money and stops providing services in many provinces, sometimes half way thru the year. Many canadians either come to the US and pay cash or pay cash outside their provincial systems because access is so difficult.

Lumping those systems together and saying they are essentially the same is as disingenuous as using world health scores as a comparison between countries…we all know the metrics are different and this absolutely gives a poorer score for the US since we are not comparing apples to apples, more like apples to watermelons.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: tenyearsgone] #9036444 04/20/24 04:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
That’s why I made sure to point out that the current affairs aren’t in line with the concept of good government.

I actually don’t like the ACA, which tried to be the national system. It was passed through bullying and deceptive tactics; “we have to pass it to see what’s in it”. Ethically established national healthcare would work like it is in France and Norway.

I use the VHA exclusively and am satisfied. Yes, the wait times can be frustrating, but the savings are worth it.

The french system is not good. I have known many patients who fell ill in france and they could not wait to get out of their system.

Comparing anything to norway is silly. They have a population of 5.5 million and are 80% Scandinavian ethnicity, and have experienced less growth every year (40,000 increase) than we see illegal Immigrants coming into the US every month. And their tax rare thee is 60% when you take the average i come tax rate of 39% and add in the social security rate of over 20%….if everyone in the US paid that kind of tax rate we would have a supremely awesome society, let alone health care situation.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 04/20/24 04:48 PM.
Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: Texas buckeye] #9036516 04/20/24 07:50 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Ten years, i think you are in health admin or something similar and look at data, but simply looking at data is NOT the whole story. Data can be made to say whatever you want it to say. So trying to compare any other system in the world to the US system is simply a foolhardy attempt to push an agenda, and nothing more.

Name one country you would rather be in if you had a heart attack, a cancer diagnosis, or needed a trauma surgery. Name one other country you would rather be in for choices of care, ability to get care if you are not happy with where ypu are currently receiving care, or ability to switch doctors if not happy.

The VA is nothing like the UK healthcare, in that the VA routinely uses civilian providers to take care of backlog and allow veterans to get timely care or care that can not be provided in the VA system. The UK does not have that fallback option. Medicare is nothing like the canadian system in that the canadian system runs out of money and stops providing services in many provinces, sometimes half way thru the year. Many canadians either come to the US and pay cash or pay cash outside their provincial systems because access is so difficult.

Lumping those systems together and saying they are essentially the same is as disingenuous as using world health scores as a comparison between countries…we all know the metrics are different and this absolutely gives a poorer score for the US since we are not comparing apples to apples, more like apples to watermelons.

I am in executive admin at a large hospital.

As I always state whenever someone suggests the data has been modified to show how bad the US is:

1. You're free to show your own data that shows we're superior. No one has ever been able to because I'm right. The only thing they offer is "freeeeeedommmmmmmmmmmm!".
2. I'm curious what massive conspiracy there is that would make the entire world's healthcare community attack the US system. Where is the data manipulated?

You're also trying to show that I stated the VA and Medicare are the same as the NHS and Canada. I didn't, and yes, it's indisputable that they are modeled on those systems. Germany might be an even closer comparison.

The categories of comparison are the same. I don't think you know what the word "metrics" means. The US does lead in some very important areas, such as innovation, but overall, our hybrid system is a massive waste of public and private funds.

If given the choice of health care system for something major like cancer, I would pick the Netherlands, Australia, or Finland. All are ranked with (or higher) the US, but I don't have to worry about losing everything I own to finance treatment.

Lastly, a lot of the leading public health care systems have provisions for additional private insurance; so choice exists.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: tenyearsgone] #9036534 04/20/24 08:33 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Plain & simple, if you can pay for it, you should have access to it. If not, then no. That be the only way to bring a competitive edge to that marketplace.

The problem with that is it increases costs for the people who pay anyways.

You'll have a much unhealthier community using the resources regardless of the ability to pay because of legislation around emergency care etc.

Take legislation out of it. Where is freedom to enjoy good health written in the Constitution? Maybe if people had to suffer from the consequences of their chosen bad actions, they could live in such a manner as to be more healthy. If not, it is their choice after all, why should we pay for it? If they didn’t, it could save on social security benefits.

The Injuns had it right.

I don't think cancer, genetic hypertension, and other maladies are choices.

My personal opinion is that my fellow conservatives refuse to look at most issues from a viewpoint different than "eff you, freedom!", and don't see the big picture. Healthcare is so much more complicated than that. The current state of affairs aside, governments have a duty to provide the best possible environment for its citizens. One of those is health.

So what? You want us to pay for those genetically predisposed to health issues? Is that correct? What else should the government provide? Get outside of your line of business and tell us where your line is drawn. Setting standards should be it. Your line of thinking is what has led us to gender affirming care.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036540 04/20/24 08:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ten years, just one example that is commonly touted by people who are in similar mantra as you:

Infant mortality. The data says the US is not great in the world from infant mortality standards.

However, the US included any baby born, premature and or term. Most countries include only babies born after 36 weeks. Another example Is the cdc co siders infant mortality as any baby death from conception to first year of life, while the WHO considers infant death from the pregnancy thru first 42 days. So we are comparing apples to oranges just because the “metrics” are not the same when looking at that data.

Another example of how it is apples to oranges is the US has a serious drug problem, and most preterm babies are born of drug addicted mothers and these babies in turn are drug addicted. Most countries do not have the same drug problems we do here in the US. Just another way data says whatever you want.

Say what you want, i wont argue anymore with you. If you want to believe something, feel free, i am bot changing that here. But just realize you are touting half truths and sometimes flat put lies.

I wont quote where you sId the VHA was essentially the UK system and medicare was canadian system. The post is just a few up so its easy to see.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 04/20/24 08:44 PM.
Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036549 04/20/24 08:56 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
His industry is so great, the government feels you and all other taxpayers should subsidize it

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036554 04/20/24 09:10 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The government forced itself into American’s lives relating to healthcare when it made it a requirement to have health insurance.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: ntxtrapper] #9036560 04/20/24 09:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
The government forced itself into American’s lives relating to healthcare when it made it a requirement to have health insurance.

Not required. You can simply pay a tax penalty and still get free health care. It’s a crock of crap

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: Hudbone] #9036567 04/20/24 09:29 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Not required. You can simply pay a tax penalty and still get free health care. It’s a crock of crap

It was for 9 years by statute. Forcing people to pay for failing to have it was even more distasteful. In 2019 when the requirement was removed you think everyone got their money back?

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036573 04/20/24 09:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Jaundicing my view is Wifeypoo’s dead nephew and the son of a local and now dead chamber exec. The nephew couldn’t get off meth. Highly skilled, he chose to work the system while doing cash jobs. He liked unemployment benefits. In one year and in his forties, he spent time in the intensive care units of four different hospitals in four different cities and never paid a bill. Upon exit of the fourth, he required care in a home and I am not certain he ever paid for any of that either. Fortunately, Wifeypoo’s older sis died and left him a considerable amount of money. He could the afford an apartment with medical help which lasted about a month until he drunkenly choked on his own vomit.

The other guy said he didn’t make the same choices as I did and needed free health care which the great one was to provide. Turns out 55 year old night auditor at a hotel earned just enough money not to qualify for the free stuff and paid the tax penalty because that's less expensive and he would still get treated.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036577 04/20/24 09:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
As with most things, get govt and third party payers involved and it goes to crap.

There is a reason lasik, cosmetic surgery and other totally elective procedures havent sky rocketed in proce yet still get great results…no gubmint and no insurance.

Set it free!

Wait, is that a cry for freedom?

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036601 04/20/24 10:36 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I don’t get why anyone is comparing us to other countries.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: Texas buckeye] #9036613 04/20/24 11:02 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Ten years, just one example that is commonly touted by people who are in similar mantra as you:

Infant mortality. The data says the US is not great in the world from infant mortality standards.

However, the US included any baby born, premature and or term. Most countries include only babies born after 36 weeks. Another example Is the cdc co siders infant mortality as any baby death from conception to first year of life, while the WHO considers infant death from the pregnancy thru first 42 days. So we are comparing apples to oranges just because the “metrics” are not the same when looking at that data.

Another example of how it is apples to oranges is the US has a serious drug problem, and most preterm babies are born of drug addicted mothers and these babies in turn are drug addicted. Most countries do not have the same drug problems we do here in the US. Just another way data says whatever you want.

Say what you want, i wont argue anymore with you. If you want to believe something, feel free, i am bot changing that here. But just realize you are touting half truths and sometimes flat put lies.

I wont quote where you sId the VHA was essentially the UK system and medicare was canadian system. The post is just a few up so its easy to see.

Please don't use the term "mantra" when referring to me. I'm a Christian, not a Hindu. Also, enough quibbling over words; its proving nothing. I'm not hiding that our system is based on those countries.

I easily found the report you referenced about infant mortality to discredit me. It's only a theory with little basis.

I have a worldwide body of knowledge on my side and experience; you have partisan biases. The truth is, I used to be like you and everyone like you. When you look at the facts, there's no way anyone could tout our system as superior to others. There are decades of information showing it.

Finally, for me to be wrong, you'd have to factually respond to the two statements I always pose to people who argue. You will never be able to though.

In our country, there should never be a need for fundraising so people can get the care they need, or family finances included in care decisions when other countries have already figured it out. Congress certainly thinks we have more than enough since they ship billions to other countries.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: tenyearsgone] #9036625 04/20/24 11:35 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
. . . In our country, there should never be a need for fundraising so people can get the care they need, or family finances included in care decisions when other countries have already figured it out. Congress certainly thinks we have more than enough since they ship billions to other countries.

Why and what other issues do you want to protect family finances from? Is it just limited to the benefit of your profession?

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036637 04/21/24 12:26 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I don't need the federal government to hold my hand for anything. Not one single thing. That being said, they were the ones who stuck their noses into healthcare.

Re: “Free” Healthcare [Re: BradyBuck] #9036722 04/21/24 05:24 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I’m always very skeptical of these so called rankings…typically very biased

I can tell you why Italians are healthier overall and it has nothing to do with the healthcare system. Doesn’t take a genius to know if you are walking 6-10 miles a day and eating half the calories you’ll be healthier. Even as a tourist we are eating way less sugar, big breakfasts aren’t a thing here and you walk everywhere. Obesity in the US is a huge problem and contributes to poor outcomes in pretty much every disease process.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide