Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Lifting Weights #9036376 04/20/24 02:30 PM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
In 2019 I went to field dress a buck and realized how out of shape I was at age 51. I started going to the gym to simply get used to lifting weights and find muscles that had atrophy. This has become a serious part of life as I stay active as possible. At this age what works for me is spreading the work across 4 days, legs, back, shoulders & chest, arms. Sometimes if my body tells me I take a day off. I do not lift max weights, everything is 10-15 reps, and only once in five years have I lifted heavy on bench. I feel better than I ever have and am way stronger than at any point in my life. My 40s were not goid years physically as I did not take care of myself. Going to the gum has changed the quality of my life tenfold. None of us are getting younger.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9036446 04/20/24 04:51 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Sounds similar to me. Got to have cardio in there also.

Last edited by freerange; 04/20/24 04:52 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9036535 04/20/24 08:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I started seriously lifting weights at 16 years old and have been doing it since with only a couple of hiatuses due to kids and work.

It’s something that a person needs to do to be healthy. It’s really not optional.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: freerange] #9036598 04/20/24 10:34 PM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by freerange

Yes Sir, I have that going on as well. Mountain tag motivation

Big Beckett!!
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9036641 04/21/24 12:36 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’m 81 yoa and a polio survivor from about 1950. It drew my hamstrings up and weakened my legs. I had to learn to walk again at about 9 yoa. I’ve spent my life walking up to a wall and stretching and walking a mile just about every day. No big deal and it didn’t keep me out of the military. I’ve lived a fairly normal life and climbed a lot of mountains with a rifle and pack.

About a year ago I got back and leg pains that exercise didn’t help. Doc finally said arthritis and to make damn sure that I kept up my stretching exercise routine and walking. 2 extra strength Tylenols 3 times per day. He figured the arthritis is being exacerbated by post polio syndrome. Unless it’s rainy like today, I walk 2 miles, lift weights and squeeze hand grips. Not a real big deal to me but hitting the mountains is over due to balance problems. Wife is relieved that I will stay on flat ground.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 04/21/24 12:38 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9037377 04/22/24 07:36 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I see this in myself as well. Work and family seems to take up ALL of my time in my 40's. I know you were busy as hell in your 40's Ramsey.

Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9037622 04/23/24 01:46 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ramsey
In 2019 I went to field dress a buck and realized how out of shape I was at age 51. I started going to the gym to simply get used to lifting weights and find muscles that had atrophy. This has become a serious part of life as I stay active as possible. At this age what works for me is spreading the work across 4 days, legs, back, shoulders & chest, arms. Sometimes if my body tells me I take a day off. I do not lift max weights, everything is 10-15 reps, and only once in five years have I lifted heavy on bench. I feel better than I ever have and am way stronger than at any point in my life. My 40s were not goid years physically as I did not take care of myself. Going to the gum has changed the quality of my life tenfold. None of us are getting younger.

At 55 you're at a good point in life to set the stage to do really well from a fitness standpoint. It sounds you have a great lead up to doing well into your 60's and on. A lot of men give up on it in their 40's as I saw at my high-school reunions. Most were seriously overweight, many down-right obese. I think at 55 I was in the best shape of my life. I'm 61 and still in the gym 4-5 times a week just to maintain.

To keep it interesting mix it up every 6 months by setting a different objective goal. Keep doing what you're doing, but to keep form getting bored throw something crazy into your work out such as seeing how long you can hold a plank and build on it, maxing out on push ups, see if you can get to 50, 75, then 100, set a bench press goal,,,,,anything to keep it new and interesting. We used to do push ups with our feet hooked over a bar about 4' high and our hands gripping 8 lb. round balls. The bull riders stood on a Bosu Ball and swung a heavy ball tied to a short rope over their heads.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9037656 04/23/24 03:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

to follow up from yesterday, movement is life, . At this point in my life Im almost anti-barbell. Dumbells, kettlebells, medballs and sand bags. I lift more in a way that I stay in a zone 2 cardio heart range.

Bruteforce sand bags has a great mobile app and also a WOD email program. Id order the athlete bag, and mix in 2 to 3 WOD’s a week. Then strap the bag on your backpack for a weighted Ruck.

https://www.bruteforcetraining.com/

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9037821 04/23/24 09:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

to follow up from yesterday, movement is life, . At this point in my life Im almost anti-barbell. Dumbells, kettlebells, medballs and sand bags. I lift more in a way that I stay in a zone 2 cardio heart range.

Bruteforce sand bags has a great mobile app and also a WOD email program. Id order the athlete bag, and mix in 2 to 3 WOD’s a week. Then strap the bag on your backpack for a weighted Ruck.

https://www.bruteforcetraining.com/

I use barbells very little. Dumbbells are a much more effective tool than a barbell.

Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9037984 04/24/24 02:39 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
All you fit old coots on here are inspirational. I have no excuse! I appreciate ya’ll.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9042432 05/03/24 09:02 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I really have no choice about continuing my walking and exercising that I’ve had to do most of my life. At 81 yoa, arthritis has attacked my legs, feet, back and thumbs. If I stop, the results are sadly predictable. And, it came while I was doing all of my routine miles and pounds.

Gotta admit I can’t do multi miles at a time but can go back several times per day. And do some lifts with light arm weights, leg weights and squeeze grips several times per day while sitting on my butt in front of Fox News.

To the younger members here; it wasn’t supposed to happen to us. The alternative is dieing when you’re young, good looking, have all your hair and healthy. I sometimes question whether it’s a good trade off.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 05/03/24 09:03 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: 10 Gauge] #9044091 Yesterday at 02:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 10 Gauge
All you fit old coots on here are inspirational. I have no excuse! I appreciate ya’ll.

If a person is not lifting weights consistently, they need to start asap.

Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Ramsey] #9044164 Yesterday at 05:17 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I’m older than you guys and can bench my body weight. Keep it up.

Re: Lifting Weights [Re: Huntmaster] #9044166 Yesterday at 05:22 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I’m older than you guys and can bench my body weight. Keep it up.

How old are you, and how much you weigh?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: txtrophy85] #9044301 Yesterday at 10:10 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I think I understand where you are coming from however that can be dangerous advice for those who have never lifted previously.

Body weight and gravity work is a great starter kit for most. If you have previous musculoskeletal issues, surgeries, or experience joint pain that is your body's way of warning you. The old adage No pain/No gain made a lot of money for Orthopedic surgeons and still does.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Lifting Weights [Re: H2O Seeker] #9044358 Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I think I understand where you are coming from however that can be dangerous advice for those who have never lifted previously.

Body weight and gravity work is a great starter kit for most. If you have previous musculoskeletal issues, surgeries, or experience joint pain that is your body's way of warning you. The old adage No pain/No gain made a lot of money for Orthopedic surgeons and still does.

Wise statement. Orthopedics are cleaning up with the pickleball rage.

To quote an old black gentleman that was playing Trombone in a Jazz band I was in - "You see me runnin', you best be lookin' out for whatever's chasin' me." 'Dude was OLD.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide