Forums46
Topics538,356
Posts9,736,230
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: freerange] #9035959 04/19/24 01:39 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
What was the place across from The Granada and Snuffers and down a little. Seems like that place was there forever and really good. And kinda fancy. I think they had some fancy bread or something that came to every table and had a little relish/sauce kinda stuff in a lazy suzan kinda thing. Obviously I dont remember it real well.....

St. Martin's?

No. The other direction on Greenville and across the street. Just a few businesses away.

The steak house place?? I can picture it but can't remember the name.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9035961 04/19/24 01:50 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Brennan's in downtown Dallas was a favorite for my family.
The Old Warsaw.
The Chimney, not too fancy but a small, nice, place.
Dakota's in downtown Dallas.
By George's on Greenville Ave
The Grape on Greenville Ave, my Mom was friends with the owners.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: DQ Kid] #9035962 04/19/24 01:56 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
What was the upscale pizza and Italian party joint nationally, Crystal Confectionary? Think one of their last ones closed in Irving, TX in late 1990s...

Crystals Palace?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9035964 04/19/24 01:59 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Believe when national chain, Crystal Confectionary, Crystal Palace was a surviving business upon that chain's closure....

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: rjf1911] #9036010 04/19/24 03:25 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by rjf1911
What was the place across from The Granada and Snuffers and down a little. Seems like that place was there forever and really good. And kinda fancy. I think they had some fancy bread or something that came to every table and had a little relish/sauce kinda stuff in a lazy suzan kinda thing. Obviously I dont remember it real well.....

Would it have been the original Kirby’s Steakhouse? Went there every year for birthdays.

[Linked Image]

Yep, that was it. Hunt Dog almost got it too. They served toast or bread or something with special butter or something.....? It was a special place back then.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Stub] #9036011 04/19/24 03:26 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Stub

Outstanding Stub. Really good article. Anyone following this thread should click on that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: freerange] #9036016 04/19/24 03:37 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Outstanding Stub. Really good article. Anyone following this thread should click on that.

Good article. Brought back a lot of memories. Ate at a lot of those places and knew, or worked with, several of the Chefs.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Stub] #9036032 04/19/24 03:58 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Rolltide, there were several Dixie Houses. First was the very small menu Blackeyed Pea. Then came the bigger menu at Dixie House. Then we basically took the Dixie House menu for all new Blackeyed Peas and opened a whole bunch of em. My good friend owned the Lakewook Yacht Club across from Dixie Lakewood-go in that one Roll??

Yall really got me going on the restaurant scene from the 70s and 80s. .......

It seems like there were two separate but almost identical Dixie houses?

There was the Dixie House that I used to eat at on NW HWY across from Bachman Lake back in either the late 70's or early 80's, that I use to eat at that I thought was another one of Gene Streets restaurants like the Black Eyed-Pea, Back then you got a large portion of meat with three sides and it was so darn good food

Unfortunately I cannot find any info on the Dixie House on NW HWY??

Then there is this other one The Dixie House Cafe that original started as Theresa's.

http://www.dixiehousecafes.com/index.php/about-us

Stub, if you are confused or curious about anything to do with Dixie House or Blackeyed Pea just give me a shout.
Gene Street and Phil Cobb started the company "Prufrock" in about 72 with J Alfreds, Old Church and Bullys Pub. Then they struck gold with the small place, small menu Blackeyed Pea on Cedar Springs in 74ish. I was a parttime bartender at all those while going to school. I saw Streets genius and anticipated the growth and went fulltime as they begged me to do. They tried various other concepts through the years but the Pea and Dixie were the keepers for growth.

Another very small Pea in Snider Plaza and converted Bullys to a Pea. Dixie House on Mckinney was next and I opened it as manager. Then Dixie Lakewood was next and they moved me there. These Dixie's had a much bigger menu than the early Peas. Blackeyed Pea on Camp Bowie in FW was next. This was the first Pea which was basically a Dixie House menu with the BEPea name. All future Peas would have this morphed Dixie/Pea menu.

It was next that I went into the corporate office and became VP Operations. We grew like crazy. A few more Dixies opened up(like Bachman and Addison) but all the major growth across Texas and to a smaller degree, the country, was The Blackeyed Pea.
Eventually Street and Cobb sold out to an English conglomerate, and I got out too. The company that bought it had many other interests so its no surprise they lost what made us great. It changed hands a time or two more with similar results. Things started spiraling downhill and a once great chain went by the wayside. It was sad for me to see a lifetime of work go down the tubes but I was watching from the sidelines by then.

Last edited by freerange; 04/19/24 04:01 PM.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: freerange] #9036171 04/19/24 10:29 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Rolltide, there were several Dixie Houses. First was the very small menu Blackeyed Pea. Then came the bigger menu at Dixie House. Then we basically took the Dixie House menu for all new Blackeyed Peas and opened a whole bunch of em. My good friend owned the Lakewook Yacht Club across from Dixie Lakewood-go in that one Roll??

Yall really got me going on the restaurant scene from the 70s and 80s. .......

It seems like there were two separate but almost identical Dixie houses? (I should have stated different owners o companies)

There was the Dixie House that I used to eat at on NW HWY across from Bachman Lake back in either the late 70's or early 80's, that I use to eat at that I thought was another one of Gene Streets restaurants like the Black Eyed-Pea, Back then you got a large portion of meat with three sides and it was so darn good food

Unfortunately I cannot find any info on the Dixie House on NW HWY??

Stub, if you are confused or curious about anything to do with Dixie House or Blackeyed Pea just give me a shout.
Gene Street and Phil Cobb started the company "Prufrock" in about 72 with J Alfreds, Old Church and Bullys Pub. Then they struck gold with the small place, small menu Blackeyed Pea on Cedar Springs in 74ish. I was a parttime bartender at all those while going to school. I saw Streets genius and anticipated the growth and went fulltime as they begged me to do. They tried various other concepts through the years but the Pea and Dixie were the keepers for growth.

Another very small Pea in Snider Plaza and converted Bullys to a Pea. Dixie House on Mckinney was next and I opened it as manager. Then Dixie Lakewood was next and they moved me there. These Dixie's had a much bigger menu than the early Peas. Blackeyed Pea on Camp Bowie in FW was next. This was the first Pea which was basically a Dixie House menu with the BEPea name. All future Peas would have this morphed Dixie/Pea menu.

It was next that I went into the corporate office and became VP Operations. We grew like crazy. A few more Dixies opened up(like Bachman and Addison) but all the major growth across Texas and to a smaller degree, the country, was The Blackeyed Pea.
Eventually Street and Cobb sold out to an English conglomerate, and I got out too. The company that bought it had many other interests so its no surprise they lost what made us great. It changed hands a time or two more with similar results. Things started spiraling downhill and a once great chain went by the wayside. It was sad for me to see a lifetime of work go down the tubes but I was watching from the sidelines by then.

freerange appreciate your insight. two questions.

1. About when did the Dixie House location on NW Hwy/Bachman lake open?
2. As high lighted in Bold above. Were there two separate Dixie house owners/companies? I know Gene Street and Phil Cobb owned the Dixie House & Black eye-Peas.

There is a lot of write ups about these other owners and their Dixie House Cafe's.

Dixie House Cafe originally opened in 1983 as Theresa’s, named after the owner’s wife.

We opened our first restaurant in January 1983. At that time the restaurant’s name was Theresa’s Cafe, named after my wife Theresa.

Your friends Dale and Theresa

BTW it was obvious when Gene & Phil sold out. It went from generous portion of the main entrée with 3 sides, down to smaller portions and only two sides.

Last edited by Stub; 04/19/24 10:31 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9036191 04/19/24 11:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Stub, I’ve never heard of Theresa’s or any other Dixie House except ours. I just glanced at your link but it seems like a similar menu. If they had same name and menu I’m sure we would of been in court over that.
Cotton Patch, literally, blocked off our Blackeyed Pea name off menu and literally made photo copies for their original menu. Strange but 100% true. We went to court over that so I’m sure Theresa would be same and that didn’t happen.
Bachman Dixie was after McKinney Ave and Lakewood but before Addison so maybe 77/78…?

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9036206 04/20/24 01:10 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
I always enjoyed the Blackeyed Pea the food was good and the portions were generous. I remember when the one in Mesquite opened up in the 80’s and there was always a wait to get in. When I started working in HVAC in the early 2000’s with the company that I’m now with we handled some of the Blackeysd Peas and Dixie Houses. I can tell you they weren’t spending money on the HVAC equipment. The one in Lakewood was something else!

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Lakhota] #9036434 04/20/24 04:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Lakhota
I always enjoyed the Blackeyed Pea the food was good and the portions were generous. I remember when the one in Mesquite opened up in the 80’s and there was always a wait to get in. When I started working in HVAC in the early 2000’s with the company that I’m now with we handled some of the Blackeysd Peas and Dixie Houses. I can tell you they weren’t spending money on the HVAC equipment. The one in Lakewood was something else!

Lakhota, that Dixie House in Lakewoods ceilings must have been 30'+ tall and went almost all the way back. It was hard to cool. I kept it together with duct tape and bailing wire as much as I could...... Of course, I was long gone by the 2000s.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Roll-Tide] #9036498 04/20/24 06:59 PM
G
Grit Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I use to hit Dixie House at least once a week. Spaghetti Warehouse too.

My wife and I lived in Lakewood before we got married. We ate at DH quite a bit.

Garrett
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9038572 04/25/24 09:42 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Found this picture -- Austin Texas - Magic Time Machine 1980's

[Linked Image]

You can't fix stupid
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9038781 04/26/24 11:44 AM
B
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
We had a restaurant in Denton on 35 between Denton and Sanger , was like a Black Eyed Pea . Guy that owned it came from Black Eyed Pea 's
Can't remember the name , any body know the name of the restaurant

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9038784 04/26/24 12:20 PM
R
rjf1911 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Also, in Lewisville, at 35 and 1171, was the first Grandy’s. Ate a lot of chicken and CFS there after water skiing all day on Grapevine. In the 70’s, when it opened, it was Granny’s. The “d” came when a trademark dispute with Granny’s Dinner Theater in Dallas arose. It was pretty good back in those days. I guess some are still around.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9038786 04/26/24 12:25 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Po Folks. great food.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: jlsbassman] #9038814 04/26/24 01:08 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by jlsbassman
Judge Roy Beans

We loved the one in Carrollton in the 80's Our first time to have cheese fries.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: rjf1911] #9038815 04/26/24 01:11 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by rjf1911
In Dallas…..

Salih’s Barbecue
Victoria Station
Cattleman’s downtown
Chili’s on Greenville….not anything like what it’s become.
Youngbloods Fried Chicken
Casa Dominguez on Cedar Springs
Jamie’s Hamburgers
Shakey’s Pizza
Prince Hamburgers
Kip’s Big Boy
The original Herrera’s on Maple

Herrera's on Maple...Crazy nachos were great.

Re: 20 Fancy Restaurants From The 1970s, That No Longer Exist! [Re: Tbar] #9038833 04/26/24 01:44 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
World's biggest salad bar, Bedford's Steakhouse. Was really, really good! It burned and the family decided to retire and not rebuild it. Sad day for the East Dallas folks.

" In God We Trust "

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide