Page 1 of 2 1 2
Butchers crossing review #9035057 04/17/24 04:23 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
For anyone who is wondering about it…my advice is don’t waste the time.

Poor plot and story line that really doesn’t make a lot of sense. Nick Cage makes a horrible western actor. I am a fan of his and think he is a good actor and has had some great movies, but he isn’t cut out for doing a western.

Preposterous story line, 4 guys ( one a drunk with only 1 hand ) find a huge herd in a remote mountain pass and kill 4700 buffalo in a little over 3 weeks and skin them all, get snowed in and wait out the winter in a remote pass. Are supposedly able to load 1500 hides onto one wagon pulled by two mules. Make it back to find the bottom has fallen out of the hide market.

I give it a D -

One interesting note, I believe they actually did kill two buffalo for the film. In one scene he says “ I’ll shoot this one in the lungs”, and then the camera pans to a grazing buff who then gets brained with a shot behind the ear and its back legs fall out from under it. I suppose it could be CG but it looked more realistic than most other kill shots on screen.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035074 04/17/24 10:38 AM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I didn't think it was that bad. It was shot very well. Acting is meh. Plot was different than anything I've seen before. Great shooting scenes with the sharps 50-70 and the Springfield Trap Door. Though it looks like a 50-90 not a 50-70 in the reloading scenes. I thought the same thing about the amount they shot being carried in one wagon, lol. I'd give it a C+ for the unique plot, cinematography, reloading ammo and the guns.

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035117 04/17/24 12:56 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m sure Cage over acts as usual. He seems to have the same intensity in a gunfight scene and a scene where he’s picking flowers…..

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035119 04/17/24 12:59 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Hmm I would have guessed this was about some kind of small town meat market lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: batman] #9035128 04/17/24 01:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by batman
I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m sure Cage over acts as usual. He seems to have the same intensity in a gunfight scene and a scene where he’s picking flowers…..

Yeah there is hints of that but it isn’t as bad as in past films.

The filming and production as mentioned earlier were very good. But the plot didn’t elaborate on any scene and when something is introduced it doesent tie up the end of the story. It’s like one giant run on with very little closure to topic.

They tried to be somewhat accurate in the filming but it isn’t gonna pass the sniff test with anyone who is in the know about historic rifles or buffalo hunting. Like when he says “ lung shot” and then they head shoot one. Or that he is hand loading enough rounds by the fire every night to kill 4700 buffalo.

It’s one of those films that when it’s over, leaves you wondering “ what in the hell did I just watch ?”

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035129 04/17/24 01:23 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah, we watched it a while back. I was bummed that I used a "guy flick" point on it. bang

It did show how the market ended overnight and the havoc that causes. Same thing can still happen today.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: Creekrunner] #9035176 04/17/24 02:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Yeah, we watched it a while back. I was bummed that I used a "guy flick" point on it. bang

I am sure that, given enough time, the entire THF will be able to find forgiveness in their hearts

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: Creekrunner] #9035181 04/17/24 03:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

It did show how the market ended overnight and the havoc that causes. Same thing can still happen today.

That Stanley mug crash coming in 3, 2, 1....

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9035199 04/17/24 03:29 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

That Stanley mug crash coming in 3, 2, 1....

Stanley mugs are nothing but a hipsters yeti.

Like Pabst blue ribbon and carhartt, what once was a symbol of masculinity has now been adopted by kale eating suburbanites.

The poor Stanley, which was once a receptacle of the working man, is now employed to transport $6 a bottle wine to bus stops and soccer games all across the country. What a fall from grace.

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9035204 04/17/24 03:43 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey, I'm derailing for a second 'cause of QuitShootin's double-T Tech sig. On vehicles, when I see a Tech symbol, I always look for a second or third, 'cause like 0.01% just have one. grin There wasn't a license plate holder that said "Tech", no second sticker, no nuthin'. confused2 Then I saw it. He was turning right. And his taillights had the double T in them. I gotta admit, they did look cool. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: Creekrunner] #9035225 04/17/24 04:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Hey, I'm derailing for a second 'cause of QuitShootin's double-T Tech sig. On vehicles, when I see a Tech symbol, I always look for a second or third, 'cause like 0.01% just have one. grin There wasn't a license plate holder that said "Tech", no second sticker, no nuthin'. confused2 Then I saw it. He was turning right. And his taillights had the double T in them. I gotta admit, they did look cool. up

I have another question in the same vein, being as I did not go to a 4 year university:

Why do people who graduated from a University continue to support the school/wear their colors, fly their flags, etc LONG after graduation? I saw a car yesterday that had the license plate "guns up" and when i pulled up beside it, it was driven by a 50+ year old man. We have an A&M plate here that is driven by a lady who graduated in 99'. My neighbor has a Wisconsin Badger Flag and they graduated damn near 20 years ago, and haven't lived in Wisconsin since 2008. I sold a property to a family here in San Antonio that was just outside of College Station, strictly on the basis that it was close to Kyle Field.

What is the hold that a college has on a person that carries with them their entire life? Was it the greatest 4 years they ever had? Just some things I ponder as I drive down the highway

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035227 04/17/24 04:28 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I enjoyed the movie. It's one of those dark movies where they get kicked in the nuts, things get better for a second then they immediately get kicked in the nuts again and the process repeats until the grand finale nut kicking.

#sigline
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035234 04/17/24 04:42 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

What is the hold that a college has on a person that carries with them their entire life? Was it the greatest 4 years they ever had? Just some things I ponder as I drive down the highway

College was pretty fun for many. It was a lot of work and an accomplishment to complete. Many develop a bond with the school spirit.

But the basic answer to your question is humans generally have an innate desire to belong to a tribe. It's our instinct for safety, security, food, comfort, survival etc. going back to the dawn of man whether that be Adam & Eve or evolution. This very old desire to belong to something is manifested that way.

An analogy might be a modern pet dog howling to a fire engine siren.

To be determined
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9035238 04/17/24 04:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

College was pretty fun for many. It was a lot of work and an accomplishment to complete. Many develop a bond with the school spirit.

But the basic answer to your question is humans generally have an innate desire to belong to a tribe. It's our instinct for safety, security, food, comfort, survival etc. going back to the dawn of man whether that be Adam & Eve or evolution. This very old desire to belong to something is manifested that way.

An analogy might be a modern pet dog howling to a fire engine siren.

Great answer!

Thank you, the Tribe/wanting to belong mentality makes sense. I see that being obvious in many aspects of life.

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035248 04/17/24 05:23 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I agree with many, not a great movie.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035285 04/17/24 06:54 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Watched it because of Cage…

It sucked…

One and done!

Will keep following thread for entertainment value….. cheers

THIS IS ONE REASON I LOVE THF!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035289 04/17/24 07:04 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I sold a property to a family here in San Antonio that was just outside of College Station, strictly on the basis that it was close to Kyle Field.

The A&M/Kyle field thing is a whole 'nother universe. I have great respect for the school and have seen on more than one occasion how one Aggie will help another, especially in applying for a job and the like. I have known a very wealthy older gentleman for years that is huge in the alumni organization. I consider him a friend, so I'll refrain from using the word "cult", but there are others who would use that word.

Isn't the town in the movie named "Butchers Crossing"? They did a fair job of portraying how rough and thrown-up many places like that were across this country, inhabited with very rough men and, if any, rougher women. Some disappeared. Some became nicer, more modern towns and cities, with decent people settling in. And then there's Junction, TX. grin bolt

Last edited by Creekrunner; 04/17/24 07:09 PM.

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035299 04/17/24 07:33 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I have another question in the same vein, being as I did not go to a 4 year university:

Why do people who graduated from a University continue to support the school/wear their colors, fly their flags, etc LONG after graduation? I saw a car yesterday that had the license plate "guns up" and when i pulled up beside it, it was driven by a 50+ year old man. We have an A&M plate here that is driven by a lady who graduated in 99'. My neighbor has a Wisconsin Badger Flag and they graduated damn near 20 years ago, and haven't lived in Wisconsin since 2008. I sold a property to a family here in San Antonio that was just outside of College Station, strictly on the basis that it was close to Kyle Field.

People are herd animals.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: BenBob] #9035300 04/17/24 07:35 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BenBob

“Some people are “herd” animals….

Not all….Jes sayin!

People are herd animals.

Most people are “herd” animals….

Not “all people”. Jes sayin

I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: Creekrunner] #9035343 04/17/24 09:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Isn't the town in the movie named "Butchers Crossing"? They did a fair job of portraying how rough and thrown-up many places like that were across this country, inhabited with very rough men and, if any, rougher women. Some disappeared. Some became nicer, more modern towns and cities, with decent people settling in. And then there's Junction, TX. grin bolt

Honestly, you could take the same story line, same characters, replace the buffalo with cedar trees, the buffalo hides with cedar staves, the blizzard with a flash flood and you would pretty much have the town of Junction

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035416 04/17/24 11:36 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Turkeyhunters reply showed, again, to me, that he is a smart guy.

Creek started a thread about this movie a good while back. I watched it and replied on that thread that I was really disappointed in it. I dont watch many movies and usually if Im able to "escape" during a movie then I am easily entertained. This one just did not do it for me. Maybe, since I tend to like all Westerns that I expected much more. I wrap it up similar to everything that Txtro has said.

Someone mentioned they thought the shooting scenes were well done. Did you notice how he rested that rifle??....
And that final shot of Cage at very end-what was that?? He was crazy?? Ok, I got that earlier.
So we are supposed to write our own end on the kids future?
I never really understood Cages reason for his obsession either. Surely it was deeper than the surface.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: redchevy] #9035482 04/18/24 02:40 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Hmm I would have guessed this was about some kind of small town meat market lol.

I thought the same thing.

1500 hides on one wagon is preposterous.

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: Sneaky] #9035509 04/18/24 04:06 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by redchevy

I thought the same thing.

1500 hides on one wagon is preposterous.

1500 hides plus all the gear and equipment that let them live up there for 3 or 4 months

Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035547 04/18/24 12:18 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
well, to be fair, the wagon didn't make it very far

#sigline
Re: Butchers crossing review [Re: txtrophy85] #9035570 04/18/24 12:57 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
The book is pretty good.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide