Page 1 of 2 1 2
Snake proofing dogs #9034404 04/15/24 05:47 PM
T
tigger Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Does anyone know someone in your the Austin area that snake proofs dogs. Please post contact details and info

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034423 04/15/24 07:11 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tigger
Does anyone know someone in your the Austin area that snake proofs dogs. Please post contact details and info

No one can snake proof a dog, avoid snakes yes, snake proof no... PM Wal1809, https://www.snakebreaker.com/

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034454 04/15/24 08:15 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I highly recommend Wayne (Wal1809) . He will be at my place again in Weatherford on Aug 4.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034548 04/15/24 11:38 PM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Cory Winter (512)565-1788

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034582 04/16/24 12:53 AM
Nolanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The shock-avoidance snakeproofing clinics are well worthwhile. Jury is out on Red Rock Biologics Crotalus atrox "vaccine." Some vets say is is worthless. I've talked to others who deal with a lot of dog snakebites who say the difference in reaction is night and day. I think it is cheap insurance for our guys and gals that we love so much.
https://redrockbiologics.com/

Last edited by Nolanco; 04/16/24 12:54 AM.
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Nolanco] #9034614 04/16/24 02:56 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nolanco
The shock-avoidance snakeproofing clinics are well worthwhile. Jury is out on Red Rock Biologics Crotalus atrox "vaccine." Some vets say is is worthless. I've talked to others who deal with a lot of dog snakebites who say the difference in reaction is night and day. I think it is cheap insurance for our guys and gals that we love so much.
https://redrockbiologics.com/

I was gonna say you are wrong, but you might be right. First google search I find this..

https://www.snakebitefoundation.org...do-not-recommend-the-rattlesnake-vaccine

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034704 04/16/24 02:32 PM
TX_Birddog1L Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
For what it's worth, my 30 lb cocker got hit in the neck by a fat rattler down south in late February...she had been vaccinated and lived...she was treated with 2 vile of the anti-venom ($$$$)...the vets believe the vaccine potentially reduced the effects of the venom...

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9034849 04/16/24 07:20 PM
T
tigger Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks to everybody for the great information

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: TX_Birddog1L] #9034893 04/16/24 09:38 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TX_Birddog1L
For what it's worth, my 30 lb cocker got hit in the neck by a fat rattler down south in late February...she had been vaccinated and lived...she was treated with 2 vile of the anti-venom ($$$$)...the vets believe the vaccine potentially reduced the effects of the venom...

The common knowledge out there, that I have heard, the vaccine just buys you more time to get your dog to the vet, and how much it helps varies by dog, but it helps.

My vet is really good, but I suspect he has never treated a dog for a rattle snake bite, simply because he is from north Dallas and not very many rattle snakes around. It would be an interesting study to call all the vets in rattle snake parts of the state and get their opinion, I would love to see a study like that. And for each opinion, ask how many bit dogs have they treated. If you only treated a few, you don’t know. If you have treated 100 dogs, a vet with that kinda experience, they are gonna know.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9034935 04/16/24 11:31 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Guy

The common knowledge out there, that I have heard, the vaccine just buys you more time to get your dog to the vet, and how much it helps varies by dog, but it helps.

My vet is really good, but I suspect he has never treated a dog for a rattle snake bite, simply because he is from north Dallas and not very many rattle snakes around. It would be an interesting study to call all the vets in rattle snake parts of the state and get their opinion, I would love to see a study like that. And for each opinion, ask how many bit dogs have they treated. If you only treated a few, you don’t know. If you have treated 100 dogs, a vet with that kinda experience, they are gonna know.

I'd venture to say there aren't very many who have treated hundreds of dogs as you say...folks in that part of the country aren't like us as it pertains to how they treat their pet. Most attempt to make them comfortable and hope for the best...if it's God's will, then it's God's will for that dog to make it.

I'm 100% on board with Wayne's training but never did the vaccine...there was enough negative out there about dogs having reactions or site infections I didn't feel the juice was worth the squeeze. My dog was more apt to run across a moccasin versus a rattler.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Judd] #9034951 04/17/24 12:14 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by Guy

I'd venture to say there aren't very many who have treated hundreds of dogs as you say...folks in that part of the country aren't like us as it pertains to how they treat their pet. Most attempt to make them comfortable and hope for the best...if it's God's will, then it's God's will for that dog to make it.

I'm 100% on board with Wayne's training but never did the vaccine...there was enough negative out there about dogs having reactions or site infections I didn't feel the juice was worth the squeeze. My dog was more apt to run across a moccasin versus a rattler.

I’d be willing to bet Dr. Vickers in Falfurrias has probably treated 100 dogs. Older South Texas country vet. I took my pointer to him January 10, 2023 about an hour after she had been bitten in the snout and upper lip by a 4’ rattlesnake. I hung out about 45 minutes visiting with him while he started administering anti venom. The dog had been given the vaccine over the last 4 years. Can’t say if it helped or not, but when I picked her up 4 days later you really couldn’t tell she had been bitten.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Judd] #9034966 04/17/24 12:36 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My dog was more apt to run across a moccasin versus a rattler.

My dog as well, but a moccasin won’t kill your dog like a rattler will.

Most attempt to make them comfortable and hope for the best...if it's God's will, then it's God's will for that dog to make it.

That’s not smart, your dog gets bit by rattler, it needs to be taken straight to the vet, time is of essence.

Vet treating 100 dog…. I just made that number up, my point is that a vet that has treated a lot of dogs knows more about its effectiveness than anyone.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9034980 04/17/24 01:19 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Guy
My dog was more apt to run across a moccasin versus a rattler.

My dog as well, but a moccasin won’t kill your dog like a rattler will.

Most attempt to make them comfortable and hope for the best...if it's God's will, then it's God's will for that dog to make it.

That’s not smart, your dog gets bit by rattler, it needs to be taken straight to the vet, time is of essence.

Vet treating 100 dog…. I just made that number up, my point is that a vet that has treated a lot of dogs knows more about its effectiveness than anyone.

My advice to you would be to take your mutt to Olney on your Haskell trips.I had a dog rattlesnakebit a few years ago in the chest. They saved her and it cost just over $1000. I don’t buy Snakeproofing Dogs. I’ve shocked the chit out of dogs when watching them attack a skunk. A male pointer won’t be desuaded.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: scalebuster] #9035004 04/17/24 01:58 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have called the vet in Haskell several times, my plan has always been to take my dog there if she gets bit. They said my dogs gets bit when they are closed, there is an after hours number the vet would met me there. I suspect that vet office has treated a lot of dogs.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9035008 04/17/24 02:04 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Guy
I have called the vet in Haskell several times, my plan has always been to take my dog there if she gets bit. They said my dogs gets bit when they are closed, there is an after hours number the vet would met me there. I suspect that vet offices and treated a lot of dogs.

She is the best! She met me on a Sunday.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9035298 04/17/24 07:32 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
68rust...that's awesome you're dog made it. That might be one...he is definitely a well known vet in the area, you're right.

Yeah, I always carried benadryl for my dog...they get hit with a moccasin, that will normally be what is needed...unless they get infection from the bite location.

Scale...no doubt there are some dogs that just hate a snake enough you ain't going to break them. Off all people, Wayne told me about one of his that no matter what he did that dog hated snakes and killed everyone he could get his mouth around. I can confidently say it worked on mine and she would side step things she saw in the yard that resembled a snake years after Wayne's introduction...let's just say, he left a lasting impression roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9035312 04/17/24 07:59 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It’s important to do the snake breaking as a pup, as their first experience with a snake. Once a dog gets after a snake and kills it, now it is a full blown habit and very hard to break them of that habit.

And you need to keep up the training. Issue with my dog is she knows when I take her to snake training, I can’t get here anywhere near the snake to give her a correction. Even if I take her to a different location, she sees everyone and their dogs, she immediately knows what is going on. I need to do a private session with Wayne, have him set up in a field by my house I normally take her, she needs to wear her collar (I different collar she will know something is up), and Wayne will need hide in bushes to zap her because she knows what he looks like.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9035351 04/17/24 09:19 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Guy
It’s important to do the snake breaking as a pup, as their first experience with a snake. Once a dog gets after a snake and kills it, now it is a full blown habit and very hard to break them of that habit.

And you need to keep up the training. Issue with my dog is she knows when I take her to snake training, I can’t get here anywhere near the snake to give her a correction. Even if I take her to a different location, she sees everyone and their dogs, she immediately knows what is going on. I need to do a private session with Wayne, have him set up in a field by my house I normally take her, she needs to wear her collar (I different collar she will know something is up), and Wayne will need hide in bushes to zap her because she knows what he looks like.

Do you own a vizsla?

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9035363 04/17/24 09:36 PM
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted by Guy
It would be an interesting study to call all the vets in rattle snake parts of the state and get their opinion, I would love to see a study like that. And for each opinion, ask how many bit dogs have they treated. If you only treated a few, you don’t know. If you have treated 100 dogs, a vet with that kinda experience, they are gonna know.

Here you go, Guy. Podcast from the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation with vet in Sweetwater. This vet claims he treated 65 snakebit dogs and horses just in one year. He thinks the vaccine is great, but he admits there is not science, it is anecdotal.
Link
Here is a copy of their summary of the podcast.
Nothing can ruin a quail hunt like a snakebit bird dog, and warm weather during early-season hunts increases the odds and risks of encountering rattlesnakes while afield. To learn how to handle such encounters, join us for this month’s episode of our Dr. Dale on Quail podcast for an interview with Dr. Bud E. Alldredge, Jr. DVM of Sweetwater. Given his tenure (51 years of practicing) and his location (Sweetwater, long-time home of the world’s largest rattlesnake round-up), Dr. Alldredge has treated hundreds of snakebitten dogs. Click the button below to hear what Dr. Alldredge has learned and what to do if you run into a rattler this season.

Last edited by Lalo; 04/17/24 09:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9035367 04/17/24 09:49 PM
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
The vaccine came up here years ago and I posted something I had read in the Houston Chronicle, an interview with a doctor who treats HUMAN snake bites. He said unequivocally that the dog vaccine is a scam. Obviously, he would not have had first-hand experience, and he just made a quick remark without explanation, but I think he was saying the science showed it couldn't work.
My vet recommends, so I get it in all my dogs. I had one dog get a swollen area at the injection site for a few days, but no other problems personally. If I recall correctly, my vet said it helps on rattlers, may help a little on copperheads, and probably not at all on cottonmouths, but, like already said, those bites don't usually kill.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Lalo] #9035572 04/18/24 12:58 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Lalo
Originally Posted by Guy
It would be an interesting study to call all the vets in rattle snake parts of the state and get their opinion, I would love to see a study like that. And for each opinion, ask how many bit dogs have they treated. If you only treated a few, you don’t know. If you have treated 100 dogs, a vet with that kinda experience, they are gonna know.

Here you go, Guy. Podcast from the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation with vet in Sweetwater. This vet claims he treated 65 snakebit dogs and horses just in one year. He thinks the vaccine is great, but he admits there is not science, it is anecdotal.
Link
Here is a copy of their summary of the podcast.
Nothing can ruin a quail hunt like a snakebit bird dog, and warm weather during early-season hunts increases the odds and risks of encountering rattlesnakes while afield. To learn how to handle such encounters, join us for this month’s episode of our Dr. Dale on Quail podcast for an interview with Dr. Bud E. Alldredge, Jr. DVM of Sweetwater. Given his tenure (51 years of practicing) and his location (Sweetwater, long-time home of the world’s largest rattlesnake round-up), Dr. Alldredge has treated hundreds of snakebitten dogs. Click the button below to hear what Dr. Alldredge has learned and what to do if you run into a rattler this season.

Thanks, that great information, an experienced vet like that knows. Yeah apparently there is just anecdotal information. The only way to do a study would be to have a lot of vets participate on logging snake bite treatments and answering standard questions of the treatment and outcome where a statistical analysis could be done over a study period.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Lalo] #9035575 04/18/24 01:06 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Lalo
The vaccine came up here years ago and I posted something I had read in the Houston Chronicle, an interview with a doctor who treats HUMAN snake bites. He said unequivocally that the dog vaccine is a scam. Obviously, he would not have had first-hand experience, and he just made a quick remark without explanation, but I think he was saying the science showed it couldn't work.
My vet recommends, so I get it in all my dogs. I had one dog get a swollen area at the injection site for a few days, but no other problems personally. If I recall correctly, my vet said it helps on rattlers, may help a little on copperheads, and probably not at all on cottonmouths, but, like already said, those bites don't usually kill.

That Dr shouldn’t be making comments that it is a scam when has no first hand experience. Nothing wrong with him saying there is no science to back it, if that is indeed a fact, I don’t know really. I suspect there is some science. I have always heard the vaccine is just for rattlers.

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: kindall] #9035592 04/18/24 01:40 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kindall
Originally Posted by Guy

Do you own a vizsla?

Rhetorical question?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: Guy] #9035691 04/18/24 04:55 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by tigger

No one can snake proof a dog, avoid snakes yes, snake proof no... PM Wal1809, https://www.snakebreaker.com/

[Linked Image]
peep

Re: Snake proofing dogs [Re: tigger] #9035859 04/19/24 01:22 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The thread made me contact an old high school/grade school friend. He has been a vet in Abilene for 30 years, he is retiring end of the month. He said he treats a lot of dogs for rattle snake, he said the vaccine definitely helps.

[Linked Image]

Have not talked to him in 30 or 40 years, this is old high school pic, he is top left, I'm right. That is my red corvette too, which I paid for, I roofed houses back then and made big bucks for a kid. He was smart as hell too, that old car of his, he completely rebuilt that motor and transmission. He was the one got me into labs, he had 2 labs, and talked me into getting one.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide