Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,681
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: topwater13] #9034527 04/15/24 10:45 PM
L
LonestarCobra Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by topwater13
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by topwater13
The highway patrol in OK will be waiting across the river....like always.

????? I didn’t think OK did inspections.

My old company has had to leave more than one trailer on the side of the road. They are a zero tolerance entity it seems. Could be we were over 10k gvwr with a DOT sticker, but idk. They once made us park one on the side of the highway because a section of the reflective tape on the trailer side was rubbed off by a forklift.

That will get you into needing the FMSCA inspection when State lines are crossed.

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9034659 04/16/24 11:39 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I hate licenses because they are nothing but a tax. A state inspection is a type of license. That being said, I have an inspector's license so let me clear up a few things. Oklahoma has gone without inspections for quite a good many years and leave equipment violations to law enforcement instead of a separate entity funded by tax dollars. The old way was not cost effective for the State and also failed to get the intended results. Most inspectors don't know all the rules because they only, in general, perform inspections on one ton or less trucks and cars. In order to get a license you have to pass a test that includes inspection procedures for trailers, semi trailers, pole trailers, school buses, motorcycles, etc. Also, there are cases where inspection rules and traffic laws do not agree. As far as some of the other tactics...here is the State mandated order of operation.

Proof of insurance is FIRST. If there is none, inspection does not commence.

Once insurance is provided, the inspection begins and DOES NOT END until complete. This means pass or fail, operator pays inspection fee and is not obligated at all to pay for ANY repair.

Upon completion, the inspector must enter any items causing a failure into the system.

If there are any items preventing a passed inspection, the vehicle operator has the choice of paying and leaving (to repair himself or elsewhere) or paying and having that facility make repairs (if in fact they are capable). Operator has a few days to repair and reinspect.

Re-inspection is FREE (within the time limit) at the same facility and ONLY the items(s) that previously failed are inspected. You CANNOT fail for a new reason if still inside the re-inspection window.

If a vehicle fails and the operator takes it to a different facility, the inspector will by notified by the computer system the vehicle failed elsewhere.

Don't put up with upsales if you think it's not legit. Report places that don't give you a completed inspection when they say you failed.

Or just wait a bit and it all goes away. I'd bet more people get pulled over in my town for a headlight out than for speeding so law enforcement is already doing better than the inspectors.

Pass the gravy.

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9034689 04/16/24 01:53 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guy that does my inspections said commercial vehicles will still need to be inspected. Is that 1 ton trucks and over?

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9034690 04/16/24 01:56 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Gas, thats good stuff, thanks.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9034693 04/16/24 02:03 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Only 13 states require vehicle inspections now. Be glad when it’s gone.

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9034952 04/17/24 12:15 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Ole trash can Dan loves government protection!

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: 68rustbucket] #9035086 04/17/24 11:29 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Guy that does my inspections said commercial vehicles will still need to be inspected. Is that 1 ton trucks and over?

I doubt it. Most one tons are not commercial. My educated guess is anything registered as commercial according to license plates.

Pass the gravy.

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Texas Dan] #9035100 04/17/24 12:14 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
This with the vehicle inspections going away will in turn lead to the lower income group that doesnt give a carp about thier vehicle or anyone around them to now not have to replace that one headlight that went out. Why replace it when they can turn on thier bright lights and Voila, we's gots lights. Then everyone else on the raodway is blinded.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Old Rabbit] #9035125 04/17/24 01:14 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by texasag93
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
What is/was the impetus for doing away with them on vehicles?

The .gov wants more money. The fee is the same and the county collects it.

The mechanic/ inspection shop is now cut out of the loop.

That is the way I read it also. Lets' see, 22 million vehicles x $7 = 154,000,000.00 to the state without them lifting a finger. Our cost doesn't change but the local inspection shops loose that money and all they made replacing light bulbs, wiper blades, etc. The place I use/used denied lots of vehicles for slick tires and faulty breaks, those type of vehicles will be on the road come 2025 and beyond. Before you ask, I have seen them do it and then get cussed out when they tell the vehicle owner they still owed them the $7.

This^

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: RussellWayne] #9035353 04/17/24 09:24 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by RussellWayne
This with the vehicle inspections going away will in turn lead to the lower income group that doesnt give a carp about thier vehicle or anyone around them to now not have to replace that one headlight that went out. Why replace it when they can turn on thier bright lights and Voila, we's gots lights. Then everyone else on the raodway is blinded.

It’s always been that way. This doesn’t change that.

Re: No safety inspections for trailers [Re: Old Rabbit] #9035535 04/18/24 11:36 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RussellWayne

The law change will not create the scenario you describe because it already exists. You people are really relying on the State to keep you safe on the roads?

Originally Posted by texasag93
The .gov wants more money. The fee is the same and the county collects it.

The mechanic/ inspection shop is now cut out of the loop.

And therefore 85% (conservatively) of shops breathe a giant sigh of relief.

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
That is the way I read it also. Lets' see, 22 million vehicles x $7 = 154,000,000.00 to the state without them lifting a finger. Our cost doesn't change but the local inspection shops loose that money and all they made replacing light bulbs, wiper blades, etc. The place I use/used denied lots of vehicles for slick tires and faulty breaks, those type of vehicles will be on the road come 2025 and beyond. Before you ask, I have seen them do it and then get cussed out when they tell the vehicle owner they still owed them the $7.

Mathing is hard for some people. You left out the MASSIVE expenses to the State they will no longer pay. Those expenses FAR outweigh a petty little $7 per inspection.

Aside from inspection only shops, just how much profit do you think an inspection station makes? I can tell you that EVERY new car dealer LOSES money doing inspections. It costs more in labor than what is received. Maybe one vehicle per 18 months gets a repair at my place of employment related to a state inspection. A great majority of non-franchise shops don't even do inspections because it's not profitable. New car dealers wouldn't even do them if it weren't necessary to sell cars. Lastly, most inspection-only shops are foreign owned anyway so I don't care much about the effect on them.

Pass the gravy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide