Print Thread
Hunting at night with night vision #9030884 04/08/24 01:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So how do you handle scanning an area as you would during the day when you can easily see with the naked eye? Do you repeatedly shoulder your rifle and scan an area with your night vision scope or do you simply do your best to use whatever light is available and then shoulder and look through your scope when you believe you see a critter?

The cost of night vision equipment has dropped to the point where I suspect more hunters are considering making a purchase. But I also suspect many have not considered the logistics in using the equipment at night.

TIA

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9030893 04/08/24 01:39 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I just bought a thermal monocular for that exact reason. At just over $500 it gives me the ability to scan my surroundings without picking up my rifle. The clarity is good at 1x but leaves a lot to be desired at 2x and 4x. Inspite of that i can see and identify images at 150-200 yds.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9030896 04/08/24 01:42 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I use a night vision monocular to scan the field first.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Sniper John] #9032380 04/11/24 01:18 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper John
I use a night vision monocular to scan the field first.

I have a bushnell equinox, not very expensive and for scanning works great.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024064599?pid=363726

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9032484 04/11/24 03:57 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Ive got a pulsar Axion with LRF (thermal) that I use for scanning and ranging.. once I see something I'll transition to one of my "night" rifles.. I've got one with an AGM rattler thermal mounted, and another with an older Sightmark Wraith Day/Night vision optic..

The handheld also works great for finding downed game if/when it scampers off into the thick stuff after being shot (whether on a day or night hunt)..

Ive found that I use my handheld monocular much more than my rifle mounted optics honestly.. whether its just finding my way to my blind just before sunrise, or my way back to camp late into the evening, or spotting game, or finding downed game, the Axion seems to always be getting a work out...

Last edited by mdwest; 04/11/24 03:59 PM.
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9032681 04/11/24 10:10 PM
G
GreenAggie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I have a Sightmark Wraith on my rifle and can see out to 200 yards easily. I just got a Pulsar Axion just to scan with, it fits in the palm of your hand and is much easier to use than swinging your rifle around. With the thermal animals are super easy to spot. I might get a thermal weapon sight one day but I would still use the thermal monocular to scan with even if I do.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9032755 04/12/24 12:44 AM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I have an old PVS-14 I use for hand scanning.
Also have a Pulsar digital monocular that we take along if friends go so two can scan different areas.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: GreenAggie] #9032757 04/12/24 12:45 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That Pulsar Axion, how long do batteries last? My handheld is a Sightmark Wraith, but it goes through batteries pretty fast, and it has limitations in wooded areas. Works fine in open areas though.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9032762 04/12/24 12:57 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I use a Thermal handheld monocular. It's 256x192 resolution is enough to detect hogs several hundred yards out. Then switch to the rifle.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: 603Country] #9032883 04/12/24 10:02 AM
G
GreenAggie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 603Country
That Pulsar Axion, how long do batteries last? My handheld is a Sightmark Wraith, but it goes through batteries pretty fast, and it has limitations in wooded areas. Works fine in open areas though.

The Pulsar has a proprietary battery and the literature says it lasts up to 11 hours. I am confident that is a good estimate. I will just say battery life is not an issue. It boots up quickly and has a standby mode which returns the unit to function almost immediately. I power my Sightmark with an external Anker power cell. I never worry about battery life on it either after adding the external battery.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: GreenAggie] #9032915 04/12/24 11:26 AM
M
mdwest Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

The Pulsar has a proprietary battery and the literature says it lasts up to 11 hours. I am confident that is a good estimate. I will just say battery life is not an issue. It boots up quickly and has a standby mode which returns the unit to function almost immediately. I power my Sightmark with an external Anker power cell. I never worry about battery life on it either after adding the external battery.

I haven’t timed it, but I easily get a couple of evenings use out of a single battery. I’d guess 7-8 hours of constant use and the battery generally has about 1/4 left..

I got mine from optics planet a few years back when they were running a sale on a package that included a spare battery and a couple of additional options for the price of the optic alone.. 2 batteries has been all I’ve ever needed to get through a 3-4 night hog hunt…

Both my sightmsrk wraith and my AGM rattler are battery hogs… I purchased external rechargeable battery packs for them on Amazon.. they’re fairly small and lightweight and strap to the vanguard nicely… I think I paid $9 each for them.. the external battery will get me through 5-6 hours of constant use on the sightmsrk or the rattler

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9032956 04/12/24 12:30 PM
G
GreenAggie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I got my Pulsar from Outdoor Legacy. I've only used it in the field a couple of time, but I will say I'm impressed with the unit and Outdoor Legacy.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9033007 04/12/24 01:32 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
one thing most scopes have is a link thru an app, my pulsar thermion and agm rattlers have it. makes it easier to scan with the rifle if needed, I set the phone on the floor of the blind and just rest the gun on window ledge then pivot to scan.
works great and your vision is not messed up from the sight light.

I also run external battery packs on both agm rattlers, got rechargeable 123s with charger that will charge from the battery packs, the thermion has extra batteries but I have never had one run out at night.

Surefire 123a 4 Pieces Rechargeable Batteries & Charger

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surefire...tner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101001778

Last edited by hopalong; 04/12/24 01:35 PM.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9033273 04/12/24 08:54 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have a AGM Taipan 19 and can honestly say its one of the best hunting investments I have ever made. I use it for scanning for pigs and coyotes at night but I also use it when I'm deer hunting during the day. It helps me spot deer and other game I might have never seen without it. Animals just pop in white hot mode and are so easy to spot in tall grass or in the woods if cover is not too dense. It also helps locating downed deer and hogs.

For those on a budget, spend the money on the thermal monocular and just get a good clamp on red light for your rifle and you're good to go night hunting out to 200 yards or so. I have a buddy that does that and he prefers it to his Wraith. He's a pig killing machine.

Joe
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9033278 04/12/24 09:14 PM
H
HuckOnes Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
My issue with night vision (ATN X Sight 4K Pro) is no matter how low I set the display it's too bright and looking away from it I have no night vision in either eye. I get that for my right eye, I shoot right handed. Maybe I'm just not used to night vision, I've only used it two or three times in the yard to check it out and never hunted with it. Sorry if I'm not articulating the issue well enough. I know this unit is a video display and may be the root of the issue. I have an app and WiFi but there may be an issue with regulations. I wouldn't shoot using the app anyway.

Last edited by HuckOnes; 04/12/24 09:19 PM.
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: HuckOnes] #9033450 04/13/24 04:42 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HuckOnes
My issue with night vision (ATN X Sight 4K Pro) is no matter how low I set the display it's too bright and looking away from it I have no night vision in either eye. I get that for my right eye, I shoot right handed. Maybe I'm just not used to night vision, I've only used it two or three times in the yard to check it out and never hunted with it. Sorry if I'm not articulating the issue well enough. I know this unit is a video display and may be the root of the issue. I have an app and WiFi but there may be an issue with regulations. I wouldn't shoot using the app anyway.

You are blinded in both eyes after looking through the scope with just the right eye? You are describing something I have experienced. Maybe you are like me, maybe not. In my experience, both of my eyes function normally, but I am hugely right eye dominant, often to the exclusion of using the input from my left eye. So early on, I would come off the scope and be blinded like you despite exposing just one eye. This is because the brain was really only using the dominant eye to see and when the dominant eye gets blinded, the brain thinks you are blinded because it isn't using the input from your non-dominant eye. I had to learn to manually switch over to trying to see through my left eye with its preserved night vision capabilities. Eventually, it became second nature.

If you aren't like me, then I would bet you have something very interesting going on that causes you to be blinded in both eyes when only the dominant eye is exposed to bright light.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9034406 04/15/24 05:54 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Night blindness is a problem. I turn down brightness to a low value and find (right eye - looking) closing that eye after looking MAY allow recovery faster and left eye works pretty good still. Older you get, longer recovery. I hunt a feeder with pole mounted green light. Didn't see the 2 doe walking past it, just a shadow. Picked up the Rattler I use as a scanner, see em fine. Did catch a glimpse of a hog coming out of the trees, small barely moving white spot. Probably would have missed completely if just using NV and a spot light.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9034629 04/16/24 04:34 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I have a quick release pulsar thermal and scan all the time except when the sun is out. Great for watching wildlife in the early AM in the stand, also great to quickly pick up animals in low light. If using a thermal - learn hiw to adjust brightness and contrast as the light changes.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9034730 04/16/24 03:37 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I'm using a hand held monocular ( IR) as well.

Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Texas Dan] #9035084 04/17/24 11:25 AM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
For older guys like me, I find scanning with left eye and shooting with right helps.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: Vern1] #9035109 04/17/24 12:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Vern1
For older guys like me, I find scanning with left eye and shooting with right helps.

Interesting. Are you running a helmet? Otherwise, it seems like a good way to blow the night vision in both eyes.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting at night with night vision [Re: HuckOnes] #9037685 04/23/24 04:26 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HuckOnes

had an atn when they first came out, I found using the app to scan worked best for me in the blind. set phone on floor and use rifle to scan, if not in a stand I hold it in my left hand while scanning with the rifle (I am right handed). saves the night vision pretty much.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide