Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Do you homeschool #9032256 04/11/24 01:39 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content OP
^^Cut the Cord^^
OP Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
They slipped a bill in that makes it a felony in Missouri if you have guns in your Homeschool "School"!

This could happen here.

SB 727 Creates and modifies provisions relating to elementary and secondary education.

https://www.senate.mo.gov/24info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=244

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032258 04/11/24 01:56 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
How about if you don’t have kids in school you don’t pay school taxes. I would be all about that.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: ntxtrapper] #9032259 04/11/24 01:57 AM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
How about if you don’t have kids in school you don’t pay school taxes. I would be all about that.

up

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: Jimbo1] #9032261 04/11/24 02:03 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

up

I could get behind that!

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032272 04/11/24 02:28 AM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I’ve been behind that…. We home school. I pretty much work all the time, work a full time job and run my business on the side so my wife can stay home and teach our kids. A second income would be nice but it’s a sacrifice we choose to make. Homeschooling is expensive in itself, but then we have to pay school taxes on top of our homeschool expenses. It’s ridiculous.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032276 04/11/24 02:47 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Every home schooled person I met was obvious and not in a good way. Ours go to public school same as my wife and myself and our parents etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: redchevy] #9032284 04/11/24 03:37 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by redchevy
Every home schooled person I met was obvious and not in a good way. Ours go to public school same as my wife and myself and our parents etc.

The difference in a kid isn't if they're homeschooled or not. It's how it's done. I was public schooled and believe me, there were no shortage of screwed up kids in school. We homeschool and did a tremendous amount of research prior to starting, including talking to college professors about the observations of homeschooled kids. To a person they told us to do it. We also found parents who allowed their kids to do school in their pajamas, as well as parents who made their kids wear school uniforms.

Our kids are grounded, understand the ways of the world better than most kids their age (not to mention most adults), and I assure you, will not be voting for the other side. They also have the best teacher, a decent principal, and an extremely secure school building.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: redchevy] #9032293 04/11/24 04:11 AM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

I haven't come across too many. Most people I know send their kids to public school and those who want something different choose private school. As for home school, I don't know too many, but talk about people being socially awkward and shielded from reality. There's no way homeschooling has qualified teachers or facilities once you get into more advanced subjects in middle school and especially high school. And not being part of a legitimate team, band, cheerleading group, etc. would be terrible in my opinion.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032294 04/11/24 04:30 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Interesting topic. The quality of education has taken a nose dive. I paid 25k a year for private school per kid. That doesn’t include tutors.
My kids were active in club sports and had plenty of activities and volunteering to keep them busy and social.

I could certainly see only a few topics of need. Math, English, science, foreign language. I think there are some pretty good curriculums out there. Online/hybrid style.

I’m amazed what is not taught, in particular geography I remember learning every area code in the country.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: redchevy] #9032296 04/11/24 05:35 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I know those home schooled 5X2 Hoova Crips are a dangerous bunch.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032306 04/11/24 09:56 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I am only aware of one family that homeschooled. Both kids ended up with PHD, married and have wonderful families. I know of some terrific kids from public schools that have excelled in life and are terrific folks. My daughter went to private school and graduated Ursuline academy. Many of her classmates are doing well while others are struggling. If I had to do it all again I would have went public school with high expectations and accountability. My experience has the private kids shielded from real life too much! We didnt have the skillset to homeschool! Hold the kids accountable and raise them to be productive self reliant adults no matter which way you choose.

Last edited by Ramsey; 04/11/24 09:56 AM.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: ntxtrapper] #9032310 04/11/24 10:39 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

I can't get behind that. Public education (as poor as ours may be) is for our entire society. I see this similar to saying, "we're not at war, I don't want to pay taxes to fund the military". I'm against big govt. but some things we need to do as a group, education is one of the few.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: Gringo Bling] #9032312 04/11/24 11:05 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
We have given away our kids' future almost soley through use of the public school system and it's only taken a couple decades. Parents as a whole have retired from parenting and therefore teaching and have, in general, let school raise their kids.

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

I can't get behind that. Public education (as poor as ours may be) is for our entire society. I see this similar to saying, "we're not at war, I don't want to pay taxes to fund the military". I'm against big govt. but some things we need to do as a group, education is one of the few.

Actually that's the whole idea. We should get to choose police, fire, EMS, and infrastructure contractors but instead we rely on politicians to make those decisions.

Originally Posted by Catperch
I’ve been behind that…. We home school. I pretty much work all the time, work a full time job and run my business on the side so my wife can stay home and teach our kids. A second income would be nice but it’s a sacrifice we choose to make. Homeschooling is expensive in itself, but then we have to pay school taxes on top of our homeschool expenses. It’s ridiculous.

...and you cannot claim the expense on income taxes...

But there are home schooled people you've met that you didn't know were home-schooled.

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
As for home school, I don't know too many, but talk about people being socially awkward and shielded from reality. There's no way homeschooling has qualified teachers or facilities once you get into more advanced subjects in middle school and especially high school. And not being part of a legitimate team, band, cheerleading group, etc. would be terrible in my opinion.

Well that proves you have no knowledge of how any of it works. Gosh ... where to start? First, there are hundreds of choices for curriculum. Parents that home school are generally much more rounded in their own education and can therefore teach better than average. Where that is lacking, they have the resources (expensive in many cases) mentioned above. There are also groups and networks. Parents band together and use their individual skills as a team to teach classes of home-schooled kids. And there lies yet another solution to your list of problems. The internet, same vehicle you used to post here, is used as a tool to widen parents' scope of knowledge. Don't want your kids taught off the internet? Damn sure don't send them to public school. I have two in college and two (about to be two) in high school and they don't have text books because they can't have lockers. They carry a computer around and most classes, especially extra-curricular, nearly REQUIRE a cell phone. My wife and I don't even let our kids have a phone until 9th grade and with VERY strict rules.

The average teacher in our local districts is younger than 30 with a idealistic mindset and not much skill as a teacher. Can most parents beat that? Yes, with some effort it is quite attainable.

There are activity groups too ... just like in public school. Ever heard of select or now more commonly called travel teams? Well, obviously those don't automatically exclude kids for NOT being in public schools. In fact, I bet the percentage of home schooled kids on travel teams is much higher than on a school team ... and travel players are often much advanced. As far as music goes, I promise the exposure the kids get is far superior to public school and potentially greater than private school.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032315 04/11/24 11:14 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Well said, GG. Plus we also still teach our kids cursive too. grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032317 04/11/24 11:17 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have family whos kids were home schooled before going to private high school. They are over the top intelligent and now have engineering jobs in cutting edge technology. They were taught two languages and traveled to different parts of the world for exposure.

Make America Great Again

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: kry226] #9032324 04/11/24 11:39 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by kry226

...and gun safety which is the subject of the topic, not the un-informed's opinion of home-schooling.

We also get to teach morality, religion, and a way better way to do math.

Kid one was #2 in her high school class and graduated with an associate degree in hand. Now attending TWU on scholarship and would have already graduated at age 21 but is completing four minors and an internship because it's all free.

Kid two graduated #8 the next year and is currently attending TAMUC, all paid including an on campus 2/2 apartment with a parking garage pass. He gets a check from being in the band and is also taking on four minors.

Three and four are still in public prison but are also expected to graduate in the top ten (UIL 4A).

They were all home schooled to a point which made public school very easy. We would have likely kept them at home had we not kept reproducing. eek2

The only fans of public school I usually see are those on the school board or those employed or married to an employee in the business.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032330 04/11/24 12:03 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
If my circumstances were different I would absolutely consider home schooling. outside of that I would let them attend our church school.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: GasGuzzler] #9032351 04/11/24 12:48 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by kry226

...and gun safety which is the subject of the topic, not the un-informed's opinion of home-schooling..................................................................................................

The only fans of public school I usually see are those on the school board or those employed or married to an employee in the business.

I too was once uninformed about this. Done right, homeschooled kids end up better educated and more socially adept.

Several of my grandkids are home-schooled.
Classroom time is more focused and efficient so they can diver deeper into each subject in less time and allow more subjects to be covered.
This includes the study of our Constitution and our founding fathers.
They are members of co-ops to share the strengths and activities of other home school teachers in a group setting.
Great effort is invested to provide an incredibly well-rounded education with critical thinking skills not taught in public schools anymore.

Like anything else, it has to be done right in order to be successful. I am not impressed with the current success rate of public schools.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032357 04/11/24 12:57 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Not saying public school is perfect by any means but I think your kids and their education is what you make of them. If your blaming public schools for making your kids libs you aren’t doing your job at home either.

Last edited by redchevy; 04/11/24 02:29 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032392 04/11/24 01:42 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
We went to public school in rural Texas and loved it. Never really anything to be concerned about. Now that we live in the big city we will pay attention to which school they are zoned for. Elementary is good here, middle school is not, junior is good, high school is not. We might put them in private school, I don't know yet.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032398 04/11/24 01:52 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If I had school aged kids there are very few if any public schools I would send them to. Unlike when I went to public school when teachers were professional and were great role models …..today’s teachers are indoctrinated fat slobs that are terrible role models and the polar opposite of professional IMO….

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: garyrapp55] #9032402 04/11/24 01:57 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

Exactly. Nobody gets to pick and choose where their tax dollars go for public initiatives.

Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032403 04/11/24 01:57 PM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
We have a 16 year old that has been homeschooled for 5 years. She is taught using DVD's and books. They costs us about $1500 a year. She gets all the classes that public school teaches plus some. We teach her things she will use in life as extra classes. Things that public schools no longer teach. We like to know exactly what she is taught. Now in Texas if she wants she can play public school sports. There are homeschool coop's that have sports programs and teach classes. Homeschool doesn't work for everyone but it does for us.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: Gringo Bling] #9032407 04/11/24 02:01 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

Exactly. Nobody gets to pick and choose where their tax dollars go for public initiatives.

Oh yeah they do…. School vouchers…. and after our latest local elections they will be offered state wide here in the near future thank God!

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/11/24 02:03 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Do you homeschool [Re: NORML as can be] #9032414 04/11/24 02:11 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Kry & GasGuzzler, I fully expected defensive responses from you guys. That's fine if that's what you want. Anecdotal statements aren't necessarily fact, however. I just don't think anyone wants to hear complaints about the incremental expense or taxes. As for me and my wife, we chose our house in one of the very best school districts in the state where 2 of my kids are getting an exemplary public education. And my oldest son was very well prepared for at McCombs at UT, where he is thriving. That's my personal story and we have no jobs in public education or family ties to the board, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide