Print Thread
Ducks Unlimited #901550 09/13/09 03:24 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
So I have heard alot of people bash on DU sayin that they only do any good for northern states and that they dont really help out Texas very much. I honestly dont know, i have heard that Delta Waterfowl does alot for our part of the country. If this is the case then why is it that you dont see near as many people sporting delta waterfowl stickers on their trucks and hats and shirts? Do yall think that alot of "hunters" just buy the ducks unlimited stuff b/c its more popular? Somebody speak up and tell us whats goin on.

Last edited by kar0154; 09/13/09 03:24 PM.
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #901605 09/13/09 03:51 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I buy the du shirts at academy because they look cool, if they had delta shirts Id buy them too.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #901606 09/13/09 03:51 PM
Y
yentzen Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y
• Total acres conserved in flyway: 1,108,100
• Total acres conserved in this state: 184,566
• Total technical assistance acres in flyway: 1,832,195
• Total technical assistance acres in state: 775,313
• Amount spent to date on projects in flyway: $188,509,118
• Amount spent to date on projects in state: $28,664,506

http://www.ducks.org/media/_global/_documents/stateFactSheets/Texas.pdf

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: yentzen] #901618 09/13/09 03:57 PM
Y
yentzen Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y
http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/research/projects.php

I could find no research projects for Delta in Texas.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: yentzen] #901639 09/13/09 04:08 PM
Y
yentzen Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y
Oh Yea and just so you know I am a Bronze Sponsor of Ducks Unlimited and a Canvasback Sponsor of Delta. Ducks Unlimited is about Land Ducks use and Delta is about Research to Help the Ducks. Both have there place. One group of supporters fighting the other is like your retriever chewin off one of his own legs, going to hurt him in the long run.

Also the only sticker I have on my truck is: Duck Commander.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: yentzen] #901685 09/13/09 04:38 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I did support both until the Cap & Trade fiasco, but now support only Delta.

I don't have any stickers on my Tahoe, no one needs to know my business or what I am up to, especially when I do hunt public.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #902043 09/13/09 08:21 PM
H
HOU Razorback Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I have the DU license plate for Texas, mainly because I've always had a plate that gave money to a waterfowl fund of some sort...sucks that when I moved down her that Texas's only one is a DU.

I have a lab sticker, a Browning sticker, and a Hoyt sticker on my truck. I used to have a sweet Browning/Duck Commander sticker, but since he went Benelli, I felt I better take it off.

Last edited by HOU Razorback; 09/13/09 08:22 PM.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: HOU Razorback] #902684 09/14/09 01:49 AM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
just to clarify myself i wasnt bashing either group...i think both of them are amazing ideas...i just hear people talking a big talk but never providing facts, i figured i would ask the poeple who would know the best... i have a DU sticker on mine

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #903230 09/14/09 06:16 AM
S
Steed805 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I am starting a DU club at the University of Houston... We used to have one but it died out, so I hope it works out.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Steed805] #903521 09/14/09 02:07 PM
D
DWADR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I will always be a supporter for DU because they put my product the DWADR on the map. I sent one to the editor when I first put it on the market 4 years ago trying to get it into the "new gear for waterfowlers" section in their fall release. I thought there would be no way they would give it a shot with all the hundreds of "big name" company products they had to sift through only to pick a limited amount to make that edition. Well, they took a chance on the little guy and there it was, right smack dab in the middle of the section. I really owe them alot and try to donate a few DWADRS every year to DU chapters to show my support.

[Linked Image]
Deep Water Decoy Retriever
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: DWADR] #903653 09/14/09 03:08 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not a big fan of DU

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Jeff Elder] #903812 09/14/09 04:04 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
You know what, I'm not a huge fan either, but I still sent them my money this year.

Any conservation group is going to be a little to leftist for me politically, but I decided they do more good than harm.

#sigline
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #903818 09/14/09 04:06 PM
G
Gus McRae Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl

FYI. DU did not, repeat DID NOT support Cap & Trade. The latest DU magazine clearly spells out their position on Cap & Trade.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Gus McRae] #903834 09/14/09 04:09 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Threecurl] #903842 09/14/09 04:11 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Threecurl

bang

clap

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: ducknbass] #903960 09/14/09 04:52 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
It's amazing what harm rumors will do and some never take the time to learn the truth.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Marcstar] #904005 09/14/09 05:06 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Every time these ridiculous threads come up, I am reminded that there is a certain segment of the population who are 100% immune from facts and logic. They just make something up, then cling to it, reciting the belief by rote in order to reinforce their own conclusions.

Whatever. These threads make a thinking person's brain hurt.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Threecurl] #904054 09/14/09 05:20 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: Threecurl
Every time these ridiculous threads come up, I am reminded that there is a certain segment of the population who are 100% immune from facts and logic. They just make something up, then cling to it, reciting the belief by rote in order to reinforce their own conclusions.

Whatever. These threads make a thinking person's brain hurt.

This has been beat to death the last couple of months. I admit that I WAS one of those nay-sayers. But don't try to make people feel stupid about it. If you want to attempt to make someone feel stupid, you need to look at DU's P.R. Dept.
IT IS FACT that...
DU's initial news release said that they did back Cap&Trade. The link was posted on the THF for all to read. They quickly revised and clarified that news release to now read that they would not back it as proposed, but would with additional provisions.
So there's you a FACT. Are you 100% immune to it? Anyone that read the original news release (erroneous or not), would be under the impression that DU's official stance would be to back C&T.

Re: Ducks Unlimited [Re: Gus McRae] #904683 09/14/09 09:19 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Gus McRae
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl

FYI. DU did not, repeat DID NOT support Cap & Trade. The latest DU magazine clearly spells out their position on Cap & Trade.

Really?

Pre-furor:

Quote:
Presidential Transition Recommendations: Climate Change

Background

North America's migratory waterfowl and the habitats they require are valued by society, yet wetlands and associated uplands are among the most vulnerable ecosystems to variations in climate. In fact, climate change poses one of the single greatest threats to ecological goods and services provided by wetland ecosystems to humans. The benefits that these natural resources provide are ecological, social, and economic, and include a host of goods and services.

Climate change threatens wetlands, riparian areas, and floodplains in a number of ways. Projections for the next 100 years indicate extensive warming in many areas, changing patterns of precipitation, accelerating sea-level rise, changing of the timing and length of seasons, declining snow packs, and increasing frequency and intensity of severe weather events. Sea-level rise is regarded as one of the more certain consequences of climate change. The projected two- to five-fold acceleration in rates of global average sea-level rise during the next 100 years would inundate low-lying coastal wetlands. Such reductions in these wetlands would cause loss or degradation of important ecological goods and services, including hurricane and flood attenuation, seafood production, and migratory bird habitat maintenance.

The Prairie Pothole Region (PPR) of the United States constitutes the most critical nesting grounds for ducks and other wetlands and grassland dependant birds in North America. The disappearance of a significant percentage of wetlands and a reduction in wetland size in this area can be expected with increases in temperatures and/or reduced precipitation. Recent research suggests that the predicted increase in temperatures in the Northern Great Plains over the next 50 years will result in more frequent droughts and declines in the numbers of both prairie wetlands and ducks. The loss of these wetlands will greatly reduce waterfowl and other wetland-dependant migratory bird populations.

Need

Postponing federal action on climate change in the United States will result in an accelerated rise in the atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHGs), thus increasing the likelihood that worst-case scenario climate predictions could become reality. It is imperative that the Obama Administration and Congress move swiftly to adopt effective climate and energy policies that will protect society as a whole and North America's waterfowl, other wildlife, and wetlands and other habitat.

Additional research is required to determine how different types and classes of wetlands mitigate or influence climate change. It is estimated that wetlands, which include only about 6% of the earth's terrestrial area, contain carbon stocks equal to the total atmospheric carbon store. Rising temperatures and reduced water levels will release carbon from wetlands. While peat bogs and other wetlands, riparian areas, and floodplains continue to store vast amounts of carbon, increased temperatures will melt permafrost and cause oxidation of organic soils, releasing significant amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. Adjustments must be made in wetland, riparian zone, and floodplain management and policy to reduce climate impacts and maximize the storage of carbon.

Recommendations

Federal policy must support research on the impacts of climate change on water and wetland resources, while maximizing the various ways these resources can be managed to mitigate the effects of climate change. We recommend that federal climate change and energy policies: (1) set specific limits on the nation's GHG emissions; (2) protect and enhance the ability of forests, grasslands, wetlands, and other natural systems to absorb and store carbon; (3) protect water resources and water quality; (4) strengthen programs to promote energy efficiency; (5) support the development of market-based tools for conservation of environmental goods and services; and (6) accelerate deployment of clean renewable energy sources.

For more on DU's efforts on Climate Change see our Climate Change homepage.

Since removed from their site:

Quote:
-Set mandatory caps on GHG emissions that are significant enough to reduce the threat of climate change to wetlands and associated habitats.

-Create a federal cap and trade GHG program that utilizes market forces to achieve cost-effective environmental protection and generates new revenue streams for conservation of biological carbon sinks.

As originally posted:

Quote:
Presidential Transition Recommendations: Climate Change

Background: North America’s migratory waterfowl and the habitats they require are valued by society, yet wetlands and associated uplands are among the most vulnerable ecosystems to variations in climate. In fact, climate change poses one of the single greatest threats to ecological goods and services provided by wetland ecosystems to humans. The benefits that these natural resources provide are ecological, social, and economic, and include a host of goods and services.

Climate change threatens wetlands, riparian areas, and floodplains in a number of ways. Projections for the next 100 years indicate extensive warming in many areas, changing patterns of precipitation, accelerating sea-level rise, changing of the timing and length of seasons, declining snow packs, and increasing frequency and intensity of severe weather events. Sea-level rise is regarded as one of the more certain consequences of climate change. The projected two- to five-fold acceleration in rates of global average sea-level rise during the next 100 years would inundate low-lying coastal wetlands. Such reductions in these wetlands would cause loss or degradation of important ecological goods and services, including hurricane and flood attenuation, seafood production, and migratory bird habitat maintenance.

The Prairie Pothole Region (PPR) of the United States constitutes the most critical nesting grounds for ducks and other wetlands and grassland dependant birds in North America. The disappearance of a significant percentage of wetlands and a reduction in wetland size in this area can be expected with increases in temperatures and/or reduced precipitation. Recent research suggests that the predicted increase in temperatures in the Northern Great Plains over the next 50 years will result in more frequent droughts and declines in the numbers of both prairie wetlands and ducks. The loss of these wetlands will greatly reduce waterfowl and other wetland-dependant migratory bird populations.

Need: Postponing federal action on climate change in the United States will result in an accelerated rise in the atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHGs), thus increasing the likelihood that worst-case scenario climate predictions could become reality. It is imperative that the Obama Administration and Congress move swiftly to adopt effective climate and energy policies that will protect society as a whole and North America’s waterfowl, other wildlife, and wetlands and other habitat.

Additional research is required to determine how different types and classes of wetlands mitigate or influence climate change. It is estimated that wetlands, which include only about 6% of the earth's terrestrial area, contain carbon stocks equal to the total atmospheric carbon store. Rising temperatures and reduced water levels will release carbon from wetlands. While peat bogs and other wetlands, riparian areas, and floodplains continue to store vast amounts of carbon, increased temperatures will melt permafrost and cause oxidation of organic soils, releasing significant amounts of carbon into the atmosphere. Adjustments must be made in wetland, riparian zone, and floodplain management and policy to reduce climate impacts and maximize the storage of carbon.

Recommendations: Federal policy must support research on the impacts of climate change on water and wetland resources, while maximizing the various ways these resources can be managed to mitigate the effects of climate change. It is imperative that federal climate change and energy policies: (1) set specific limits on the nation’s GHG emissions; (2) protect and enhance the ability of forests, grasslands, wetlands, and other natural systems to absorb and store carbon; (3) protect water resources and water quality; (4) strengthen programs to promote energy efficiency; (5) support the development of market-based tools for conservation of environmental goods and services; and (6) accelerate deployment of clean renewable energy sources. Specific policy actions and recommendations include:

Set mandatory caps on GHG emissions that are significant enough to reduce the threat of climate change to wetlands and associated habitats.

Create a federal cap and trade GHG program that utilizes market forces to achieve cost-effective environmental protection and generates new revenue streams for conservation of biological carbon sinks.

Establish a federal climate change Adaptation Fund which will source revenue from the auction of allowances under a cap and trade program to support restoration, protection, or remediation of wildlife habitats on both public and private lands to assist habitats in becoming more resilient, adapting to, and surviving the impacts of climate change. Funds should be distributed via existing federal and state wildlife programs and appropriate grant programs. Funds should be available to both public and private efforts.

Institute disincentives for converting native or restored habitats for the purpose of meeting demand for biofuels such as corn ethanol, an unsustainable energy strategy.

Ensure that biological carbon offset projects play an important role in a federal GHG cap and trade program by allowing at least 15% of an annual GHG allowance cap to be met with certified domestic offset allowances with no limitations on the percentage use of approved terrestrial offsets.

Allow offset projects that meet the requirements of existing state, regional, or federal GHG programs or meet the standards established under a voluntary private registry or GHG reduction program to be eligible under a federal cap and trade program.

Appropriate federal funds for monitoring and research on known and potential impacts of climate change on species and habitats.

For more on DU's efforts on Climate Change see our Climate Change homepage

Would you like to continue this argument?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide