Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lease quarters abandonment.... #9031689 04/09/24 11:32 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hud's repaint thread got me to thinking about travel trailers, etc. that are left on a lease, long after the "hunter" has left. I know Hud well enough to know that he would do right by the land owner, but I have seen, and been on (1 year, before the 2011 fires hit south of Ozona), what a "camp" looks like after 20+ years of no rules and people moving everything you can imagine out there and then leaving it. I've seen pictures of Colonias with more curb appeal. The extremely dedicated VFD boys should have let the fire go through. (Their tenacity did allow me to retrieve my used travel trailer off of the place.)

It is extremely unlikely that I would ever be on the receiving end of this type of situation, due to the fact that I can't imagine ever leasing any pasture out, but what safeguards have y'all encountered in lease contracts, agreements with landowners, and the like that would minimize the chances of this happening?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031693 04/09/24 11:47 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Only statements I’ve seen in a lease is TT to be removed from property within 30 days of end of season, on 3 different quail leases. After that time period they were property of the land owner. I doubt landowners would really want the TT, just don’t want them abandoned in place.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031704 04/09/24 11:58 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Camper

We take care of our own!! rofl

We don’t have any rules in place but we were at a point at one time that there was a lot of junk left. Think we still have one trailer that needs to go. We have a great group of guys that all work together to keep the place cleaned up.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031709 04/10/24 12:05 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My brother bought one and put it on my land. It got used a couple of times for hunting. That was 25or so years ago. He died and the camper sat out in a pasture. I kind of kept it up. Then about 5 years ago my son in law spotted it. He greased the wheel bearings, got the tires out of storage, and hauled it home. He decorated it up for Christmas and put a sign on it saying Santa Claus’s home. He keeps it in front of the house and lots of people take pictures. Kids get their picture taken next to it.

After Xmas, it goes back to the country on blocks with the tires stored.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031721 04/10/24 12:20 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Dealing with a property now that has 4-6 travel trailers on it. Owner hasn’t been there in 30 years and is now burdened with having to deal with them prior to closing.

Most leases have a clause where the property owner has to remove them from the leased premises but without a hefty security deposit if they decide to leave or abandon it, there is little recourse a landowner has aside from small claims court

If I were to lease a property and trailer or equipment were part of the deal, I would mandate security deposit to be refunded upon all items being removed from the property

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031733 04/10/24 12:46 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
If I can add my 2 cents, allow them to keep campers/rv’s only during hunting season. Must be removed during non hunting seasons. That way they cannot become non-mobile and have to be kept in working order.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: 68rustbucket] #9031754 04/10/24 01:22 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Only statements I’ve seen in a lease is TT to be removed from property within 30 days of end of season, on 3 different quail leases. After that time period they were property of the land owner. I doubt landowners would really want the TT, just don’t want them abandoned in place.

Sounds solid to me.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031769 04/10/24 01:46 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
My buddy got on a lease after the LO kicked the previous folks off. Big hole filled in not far from the camp. Last guys had a trailer they couldn’t move so they brought out some equipment tore it up and buried it instead of removing it. Not sure how that was easier but what do I know. Pretty weird deal.

Last edited by krmitchell; 04/10/24 01:47 AM.
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Superduty] #9031857 04/10/24 11:06 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty
If I can add my 2 cents, allow them to keep campers/rv’s only during hunting season. Must be removed during non hunting seasons. That way they cannot become non-mobile and have to be kept in working order.

up Good idea. PITA for the lessees, but would definitely keep things in order. When we decided to buy this place there were 2 or 3 trailers I was sure were gonna be a fight, but they disappeared. Now, their crappy blinds were another story.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031866 04/10/24 11:32 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

up Good idea. PITA for the lessees, but would definitely keep things in order. When we decided to buy this place there were 2 or 3 trailers I was sure were gonna be a fight, but they disappeared. Now, their crappy blinds were another story.

Major PIA for most people that lease for they do not have a place to park them away from the lease.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031870 04/10/24 11:37 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If you have year round trespass rights and a feeding program, solid living arrangements are necessary. With exception of what is sold to the new guys, they won’t find a gum wrapper.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9031986 04/10/24 02:53 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Don't allow hunters on your lease that are from East Texas. Junkiest deer camp I was ever on was full of East Texas guys and this was in Foard County. They lost the lease, me and two other hunters kept a smaller portion of it and the existing camp. I spent an entire week end hauling crap to a dump ground and had the biggest bonfire you ever saw with what they left behind. If I were a land owner, I'd have a rule about removing everything end deer season, a big $ security deposit........something to prevent getting stuck with tons of junk.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: krmitchell] #9031992 04/10/24 02:56 PM
D
dawgkllr Online Happy
Tracker
Online Happy
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by krmitchell
My buddy got on a lease after the LO kicked the previous folks off. Big hole filled in not far from the camp. Last guys had a trailer they couldn’t move so they brought out some equipment tore it up and buried it instead of removing it. Not sure how that was easier but what do I know. Pretty weird deal.

I did the same thing on our place after we had a bunch of guys get off the lease. Hired a guy with a D6 dozer who dug a long deep hole and pushed everything in it, compacted it then covered it all up and smoothed the surface. He did a dang good job because there hasn't been any settlement or holes show up in the 5 years after the work was done.

That old crackheaded commie (Bernie Sanders) has lost his damn mind.. in 1983
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032033 04/10/24 03:53 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Been on our lease since 2018. Last people who had it were asked to leave because they took the whole family and grandkids year round 4wheeling and basically wore out their welcome. They left 4 old blinds, 2 wore out feeders and an old 20' camper that the earth has tried to reclaim. We have limited access (9-1 / 1-15) and do not camp on property at all.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032062 04/10/24 04:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Hud's repaint thread got me to thinking about travel trailers, etc. that are left on a lease, long after the "hunter" has left. I know Hud well enough to know that he would do right by the land owner, but I have seen, and been on (1 year, before the 2011 fires hit south of Ozona), what a "camp" looks like after 20+ years of no rules and people moving everything you can imagine out there and then leaving it. I've seen pictures of Colonias with more curb appeal. The extremely dedicated VFD boys should have let the fire go through. (Their tenacity did allow me to retrieve my used travel trailer off of the place.)

It is extremely unlikely that I would ever be on the receiving end of this type of situation, due to the fact that I can't imagine ever leasing any pasture out, but what safeguards have y'all encountered in lease contracts, agreements with landowners, and the like that would minimize the chances of this happening?

Build out container campers and up charge another $2k with 1k yearly deposit, per container. No campers.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032148 04/10/24 08:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Good discussion that brings to mind how some folks will use their deer lease to store or even hoard all sorts of stuff they don't have room, or their wives won't let them store at home. It doesn't take long before the area starts looking more like a dump than a deer lease. And with nowhere else to store it, they leave it behind once they get off the lease or lose it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/10/24 08:32 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032177 04/10/24 09:57 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have to say, when I was 17, I didn't mind some previous hunter's Playboy collection "stored" in one of the old blinds that were left. However, generations of red wasps also had a penchant for that blind. No pain, no gain.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032209 04/10/24 11:18 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We burned and recycled the metal to two of ours and listed other two in FB marketplace for free. Replaced with them with homemade mini cabins and a container cabin. Way cheaper and nicer.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Stub] #9032269 04/11/24 02:17 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Stub

Major PIA for most people that lease for they do not have a place to park them away from the lease.

Yes then they will stay on your property when they leave the lease. My house, my rules…well if I had land to lease,…haha.

Last edited by Superduty; 04/11/24 02:18 AM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9032275 04/11/24 02:45 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I didn’t let them renew one year until all the unused stuff was gone

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: txtrophy85] #9033434 04/13/24 02:51 AM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Dealing with a property now that has 4-6 travel trailers on it. Owner hasn’t been there in 30 years and is now burdened with having to deal with them prior to closing.

Most leases have a clause where the property owner has to remove them from the leased premises but without a hefty security deposit if they decide to leave or abandon it, there is little recourse a landowner has aside from small claims court

If I were to lease a property and trailer or equipment were part of the deal, I would mandate security deposit to be refunded upon all items being removed from the property

This is a PIA. We bought 2 properties that were left trashy( trailers, old ice machines Etc) by former deer hunters. And hunters wonder why it gets harder to get a lease. IF I ever leased my property,you can bet there would be a hefty deposit to cover this happening.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9033745 04/13/24 11:11 PM
vdrivenman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
private property call the wrecker service of your choice and have it towed !

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: vdrivenman] #9033756 04/13/24 11:30 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
You've obviously thought this through.

Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: Creekrunner] #9034630 04/16/24 04:38 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I have always been amazed that leases dont require a deposit. It seerms such a simple fix!

Big Beckett!!
Re: Lease quarters abandonment.... [Re: txshntr] #9034631 04/16/24 04:40 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by txshntr
Camper

We take care of our own!! rofl

We don’t have any rules in place but we were at a point at one time that there was a lot of junk left. Think we still have one trailer that needs to go. We have a great group of guys that all work together to keep the place cleaned up.

You guys do a very good job, but there is several dumping grounds in the camp pasture with mattresses and etc. There always will be chitbirds and it stinks.

Big Beckett!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide