Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031028 04/08/24 05:24 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
I don't think Bokchito, OK. is on the attack list so I'm good. My only worry would be folks coming out of the city looking for my stach.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031050 04/08/24 05:51 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Note, my family is young so I view this hypothetical with that context.

2x 9mm pistols, probably the 2 glocks i own so one for me and one for the wife.
The 2 rifles is hard. One would for sure be a standard AR15 in 556. I'm torn for the second rifle between a 10/22, a bolt action 223 or a bolt action 308. Honestly I might lean towards an AR15 and a 223 bolt combo.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031106 04/08/24 06:59 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but hey, let's light the fuse... The whole thing seems like a fantasy, or an excuse to buy another gun/more gear.. "Honey, I need this gun! If the United States collapses overnight do you know how much .308 ammo weighs?" or "Do you really wanna be sneaking out of major urban area in Magellan camo honey? The looters will find us for sure! Kuiu only!" bolt

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031191 04/08/24 09:15 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Reality is we don't have anyplace to go so we will stay put.
I'm a Type 1 diabetic and have a good supply of meds.
Have a generator to keep the vital equip running.

Have 4 long rifles, 3 shotguns, and 10 handguns.

I can start dropping bodies at 400 yards and keep dropping bodies up to 4 feet.

With the .22s I can shoot a lot of squirrels and dove to eat.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031198 04/08/24 09:27 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
I've been a "survivalist" (now we're called "Preppers") since the 1970s and like Bluetopper and Greycard I already live at my bug out location and when the SHTF I don't plan on leaving. My plans are more in the line of preparation and ranch defense so having a wide choice of guns and ammo isn't an issue. The gear I use weekly will be my primary.

WC SFX9 Compact 9mm
300 HAM'R with day scope
300 HAM'R with thermal scope

With all that's going on in the world now a SHTF event becomes more and more likely everyday!!!

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Wilson Combat] #9031209 04/08/24 09:43 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
I've been a "survivalist" (now we're called "Preppers") since the 1970s and like Bluetopper and Greycard I already live at my bug out location and when the SHTF I don't plan on leaving. My plans are more in the line of preparation and ranch defense so having a wide choice of guns and ammo isn't an issue. The gear I use weekly will be my primary.

WC SFX9 Compact 9mm
300 HAM'R with day scope

With all that's going on in the world now a SHTF event becomes more and more likely everyday!!!

hahaah, paranoid much?!?!? if so then #metoo. I'm totally stealing the "survivalist" term. I hate being called a prepper.

Btw, I love the 300 ham'r as a caliber but in SHTF mode. But I go under the assumption that most common calibers is a high priority.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Korean Redneck] #9031216 04/08/24 09:56 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

WC SFX9 Compact 9mm
300 HAM'R with day scope

hahaah, paranoid much?!?!? if so then #metoo. I'm totally stealing the "survivalist" term. I hate being called a prepper.

Btw, I love the 300 ham'r as a caliber but in SHTF mode. But I go under the assumption that most common calibers is a high priority.

Assuming I make it to my Ranch, I have enough ammo for each gun that I own there to last me and the next Generation if it is conserved. Technically, I've already "bugged out" once. When the Covid shutdowns started happening, I took off in advance of the Texas shutdowns. We lived down there for about 6 months rather than dealing with the idiocy of what was going on in Frisco. It was actually kinda nice. I wouldn't mind another pandemic in that regard. Hope fully I will have enough advance warning to bug out in time to get there before the next SHTF scenario.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031237 04/08/24 10:35 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I would take my Win 12 Ga pump, T/C 308 Win and a 22 revolver. Anything else is just extra weight and I'd rather use that weight for ammo,

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: unclebubba] #9031244 04/08/24 11:01 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Technically, I've already "bugged out" once. When the Covid shutdowns started happening, I took off in advance of the Texas shutdowns. We lived down there for about 6 months rather than dealing with the idiocy of what was going on in Frisco. It was actually kinda nice. I wouldn't mind another pandemic in that regard. Hope fully I will have enough advance warning to bug out in time to get there before the next SHTF scenario.

I hate to say it but agree. Had i known, i would have spent more time out side of my house and at a more rural location.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031245 04/08/24 11:02 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Whatever you're carrying nuts wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Wilson Combat] #9031248 04/08/24 11:16 PM
G
Graycard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G

WC SFX9 Compact 9mm
300 HAM'R with day scope

If you want to know the difference between a "survivalist" and a "prepper" All of the survivalist have gray hair and the preppers have a better PR team.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031281 04/09/24 12:52 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Revolver has less parts to have problems with. No maintenance.

Bolt action rifle every time.
Lots of stories from the 60’s about Semi auto M16 being a jam-o-matic attached to a dead GI.
Lots of hand loading supplies.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031291 04/09/24 01:13 AM
S
Steve from GA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Ah yes - the old bug out scenario. I suppose I wiill just stay home with my food, water, guns, and relative safety. Not nearly as exciting as some of you guys action rolling out of your trucks wearing your magic backpacks, but it will do.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Korean Redneck] #9031296 04/09/24 01:19 AM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Technically, I've already "bugged out" once. When the Covid shutdowns started happening, I took off in advance of the Texas shutdowns. We lived down there for about 6 months rather than dealing with the idiocy of what was going on in Frisco. It was actually kinda nice. I wouldn't mind another pandemic in that regard. Hope fully I will have enough advance warning to bug out in time to get there before the next SHTF scenario.

I hate to say it but agree. Had i known, i would have spent more time out side of my house and at a more rural location.

When the shutdowns started across the country, I looked at my wife and said, "Babe, do you want to quarantine on this postage stamp? Or do you want to quarantine on 247 acres?" We were packed up and gone in about 4 hours. All the food in the house, my office, clothes, guns, reloading supplies, 2 pet bunnies and their accompanying children loaded up in 2 vehicles and headed out. I didn't know if they were going to have police enforced quarantine or what to expect, so we put priority on getting out before whatever happened, happened. Looking back, we did kinda over-react. We could have come and go as we pleased and not "bugged out", but we did not know how bad it was going to get. I was a bit impressed with how quickly we moved everything on short notice.

current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031314 04/09/24 01:59 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Longest replies would be the first ones to go

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Mistereeee] #9031327 04/09/24 02:32 AM
7six2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted by Mistereeee
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but hey, let's light the fuse... The whole thing seems like a fantasy, or an excuse to buy another gun/more gear.. "Honey, I need this gun! If the United States collapses overnight do you know how much .308 ammo weighs?" or "Do you really wanna be sneaking out of major urban area in Magellan camo honey? The looters will find us for sure! Kuiu only!" bolt

I agree with Mistereee. I cant quite understand the fascination with grabbing guns and bugging out. Like you are just going to be shooting your way through crowds without much resistance. Too much action TV watching. Worry less about those fancy guns that are going to get you in trouble, and focus on having the physical and mental fitness, and knowlege to endure hard times. Medicine, food, tools, footwear, warm clothing...when you start adding up all the essentials to staying healthy it becomes harder to imagine carrying it all. I don't imagine you'll get let into a refugee shelter carrying an AR15. And roadblocks, whether by govt or gangs, they will take your guns and maybe your truck too so enjoy walking.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031328 04/09/24 02:40 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
THIRTY THIRTY AND A COLE NINE ELLEMUM HOSS

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031376 04/09/24 11:44 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
You’ll have to go an area lacking resources or everyone else will be there trying to live off it. Well thought out bastions built by survivalists will be targets and you can’t stay awake 24/7.

Avoidance may well be key here unless you can find a group of like minded, skilled, determined and principled group to join. Neanderthals will again rise to the top.

Edit - AR 15, bolt action 22 and 2 9 MM’s or maybe a 9 MM and a Judge if sufficient ammo can be along for the ride.

Last edited by Hudbone; 04/09/24 12:09 PM.
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: unclebubba] #9031391 04/09/24 12:18 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

When the shutdowns started across the country, I looked at my wife and said, "Babe, do you want to quarantine on this postage stamp? Or do you want to quarantine on 247 acres?" We were packed up and gone in about 4 hours. All the food in the house, my office, clothes, guns, reloading supplies, 2 pet bunnies and their accompanying children loaded up in 2 vehicles and headed out. I didn't know if they were going to have police enforced quarantine or what to expect, so we put priority on getting out before whatever happened, happened. Looking back, we did kinda over-react. We could have come and go as we pleased and not "bugged out", but we did not know how bad it was going to get. I was a bit impressed with how quickly we moved everything on short notice.

Dude, I am so jealous. I wish I were in position to do the same. Alas I am still beholden to this place until I've raised my children.
You and I must share some sort of kindred spirit. Your quarantine is basically an abridged version of my retirement dream, down to having rabbit as my primary meat source.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: 7six2] #9031400 04/09/24 12:29 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 7six2
Originally Posted by Mistereeee

I agree with Mistereee. I cant quite understand the fascination with grabbing guns and bugging out. Like you are just going to be shooting your way through crowds without much resistance. Too much action TV watching. Worry less about those fancy guns that are going to get you in trouble, and focus on having the physical and mental fitness, and knowlege to endure hard times. Medicine, food, tools, footwear, warm clothing...when you start adding up all the essentials to staying healthy it becomes harder to imagine carrying it all. I don't imagine you'll get let into a refugee shelter carrying an AR15. And roadblocks, whether by govt or gangs, they will take your guns and maybe your truck too so enjoy walking.

Dude, it's called a thought experiment. Lighten up a little.
What about some of us who do maintain a good/decent physical (yes partially in the event that SHTF), have endured hard times, have essentials and prepped for leaving a big city area if things were to get weird? And just what if said person happens to love shooting guns as a hobby? Seems foolish to NOT take a gun if they felt the needed to leave the city, even if I had no intentions to use it. Furthermore, it would probably make this person a smart, but probably a little paranoid, person to have premeditated what they would like to bring.

Honestly, just messing with you a little. Conversations can be practically useless and still be useful way of engaging the mind for fun. That's all.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031415 04/09/24 01:54 PM
HuntFish512 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
10/22, 30/30 marlin. glock 19, taurus tx22. All are threaded and have cans for each already.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Korean Redneck] #9031488 04/09/24 04:51 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Dude, I am so jealous. I wish I were in position to do the same. Alas I am still beholden to this place until I've raised my children.
You and I must share some sort of kindred spirit. Your quarantine is basically an abridged version of my retirement dream, down to having rabbit as my primary meat source.

LOL. I am blessed for sure. But the Bunnies aren't for meat. They are my daughters' pets. When we got the Bunnies, I had a vision of how it would be. My vision did not come true. They are now house bunnies. More like cats. They have free roam of the house, litter boxes, their own beds, and in the winter, jump up on our bed and sleep at my wife's feet. I'm not even allowed to hunt rabbits anymore...well, I just skin them before bringing them back and call them squirrels now. It's amazing how rabbits and squirrels look exactly alike once they are skinned.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by unclebubba; 04/09/24 04:56 PM.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031724 04/10/24 12:29 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I can’t bug out unless there is a pharmacy close.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Bug out Guns [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9031860 04/10/24 11:15 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Don't forget if you have to "Bug Out" more than likely you'll be on foot for your journey. Size and weight of what your leaving with matters. Maybe. 22 or .223 only.

Re: Bug out Guns [Re: Dave Davidson] #9032595 04/11/24 07:42 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Revolver has less parts to have problems with. No maintenance.

Bolt action rifle every time.
Lots of stories from the 60’s about Semi auto M16 being a jam-o-matic attached to a dead GI.
Lots of hand loading supplies.

ARs have advanced slightly in the last 60 years. Those stories are no longer valid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide