Feed Program Help #9029270 04/04/24 07:59 PM
T
TrackQuack Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Quick Question for THF.

We hunt just under 200 acres along the Trinity in Navarro county. We feed corn year round from 4 feeders that have pens built, less in the spring and summer than fall. Will do fall food plots on approximately 20-25 acres. We are wanting to start protein feeding, I'm thinking 2 timed protein feeders due to the fact that we have booming population of racoons that I think would be a losing battle to due free choice feed. I haven't found anyone local who has cotton seed however I'm sure I can find some within a reasonable distance.

We do have decent deer density and wondering if planning for bagged or bulk protein would be better. I think the general consensus is "biggest capacity that you can afford".

All in all I am asking opinions on the following.
Is 2 protein feeders enough?
Timed feeders still effective?
Can you really control coon populations or keep them from accessing feeder without constant trapping/effort/time?
How many pounds of protein would we likely go through on a low fence decently high deer density place off your experience?
Do you keep your protein feeders next to corn for convenience or do you think it helps with hunting success in early season compared to protein feeders in differing areas.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: TrackQuack] #9029278 04/04/24 08:17 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Me being a frugal kind of a guy (my wife calls me cheap) and you already have four feeders and pens already up, why not just put eliminator plates on your spinner motors and feed a corn/soybean mix. The eliminator plates will frustrate the hell out of the coons and you don't have to worry about rain/high humidity clogging up your feeders. With only 200 acres, unless it is under high fence, spending a lot of money for the neighbors to kill what you are protein feeding doesn't seem to me to be too cost effective. Use what you got.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: TrackQuack] #9029286 04/04/24 09:00 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I am just South of you in Freestone County and have just under 200 acres myself.

(2) protein feeders should be enough, but I personally run (4) since I have some deer (does) that practically live in a 10-20 acre block and don travel very often.

I use FREE choice feeders... (2) 1250# Texas Hunter Products and (2) Boss Buck 600# protein feeders. I can tell you the raccoons have more of a problem getting to the spouts on the 600# Boss Buck protein feeder. The legs are spread out. I still coat with axle grease for good measure. Raccoons can still do a pull up on spouts, but they don't sit on top of the spouts so they don't get all that much protein.
If you are just starting with protein mix 25% corn with the protein and expect them to take a few months to really figure out how to eat the protein from a feeder. They will generally figure it out in July when natural browse is not as prevalent. April-May are always low protein consumption months, but I feed anyways (Its' just easier on the checkbook)
**I also trap raccoons using Duke traps from time to time.
Lastly, if your feeders are not surrounded by hog panels, then you can expect hogs to steal protein too. They will bump the feeder making it spill onto the ground. Get 8-10 hog panels per feed station. Its a one time expense, but nobody said doing it right is cheap.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: TrackQuack] #9029290 04/04/24 09:04 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
No more than 1 per 100acres, I would start with just one and see how the deer take to it.
Timed will likely be best for you, I’d drop morning only as to reduce how much the coons have access to.
No, buy 2 dozen dog proofs and trap every time you go out for a night or two.
Depends on how well they take to it. Might only go through 300lbs a month, or 2,000lbs/month.
Our protein feeders generally are in the same pen, though your pen size probably needs to be increased.

On 200 acres, protein feeders aren’t gonna do much other than be another attraction. Very little, if any growth in antler size will be seen unless you can get some neighbors on board.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: TrackQuack] #9029669 04/05/24 04:24 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Our place is in Freestone county. We started feeding protein about 5-6yrs ago, with two 55gal free choice feeders. The deer took to it so well that we had to expand to 4 feeders the next year. We have them all in one pen, in the middle of the property (100acres). The last two years from early June until the rut starts they'll eat about 40-70lbs of 16% per day. So unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on feed and time filling them often, a timed feeder would be wise. On our place in the heat of summer they drain all four feeders in less than 2 weeks. That's on top of all the corn they consume year 'round.

Killing coons is a never-ending battle.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: TrackQuack] #9029678 04/05/24 04:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TrackQuack
Quick Question for THF.

We hunt just under 200 acres along the Trinity in Navarro county. We feed corn year round from 4 feeders that have pens built, less in the spring and summer than fall. Will do fall food plots on approximately 20-25 acres. We are wanting to start protein feeding, I'm thinking 2 timed protein feeders due to the fact that we have booming population of racoons that I think would be a losing battle to due free choice feed. I haven't found anyone local who has cotton seed however I'm sure I can find some within a reasonable distance.

We do have decent deer density and wondering if planning for bagged or bulk protein would be better. I think the general consensus is "biggest capacity that you can afford".

Can you really control coon populations or keep them from accessing feeder without constant trapping/effort/time?
How many pounds of protein would we likely go through on a low fence decently high deer density place off your experience?
Do you keep your protein feeders next to corn for convenience or do you think it helps with hunting success in early season compared to protein feeders in differing areas.

There is a pecking order amongst bachelor herds, so more feed ports the better off you are especially if spaced out.

On timed, feed an hour before daylight and hour after dark

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Feed Program Help [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9030103 04/06/24 06:38 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Quick Question for THF.

There is a pecking order amongst bachelor herds, so more feed ports the better off you are especially if spaced out.

A six-eight port 3-5k feeder might be best, but not knowing how a herd will take to it could result poorly for a guy, when protein is not proven prior on said property.

Re: Feed Program Help [Re: rickym] #9030138 04/06/24 08:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by rickym
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Quick Question for THF.

A six-eight port 3-5k feeder might be best, but not knowing how a herd will take to it could result poorly for a guy, when protein is not proven prior on said property.

Dont go large capacity or fill all the way until utilization is there. Especially in humid areas.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide