Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase #9025970 03/28/24 05:56 PM
Sniper John Online Happy OP
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
New Bill in Oklahoma signed two days ago. I have only scanned through it, but for sure nonresident license fees are going up across the board. And by a lot it looks like.
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2023-24%20ENR/SB/SB941%20ENR.PDF

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9025973 03/28/24 06:06 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
I had hoped they would combine all Deer seasons into a single license, but I'm reading Deer Gun, Archery, or Primitive still separate and now $500 each. Plus required Small Game now $208. So it will cost nonresidents a minimum of $708 to Deer hunt in Oklahoma. My understanding the goal was to reduce nonresident hunters on OK WMAs. I think they will accomplish that goal.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9025974 03/28/24 06:08 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This is not good news. Thanks for posting.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: freerange] #9025977 03/28/24 06:17 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by freerange
This is not good news. Thanks for posting.

Getting expensive if you hunt out of state. Kansas and Nebraska recently raised license fees as well.

Reading further in the bill.
Non resident fishing went from $54 to $80. Non resident one day fishing went from $14 to $25. No more 6 day.
More expensive for the waterfowlers too. Waterfowl stamp was $9, now $30 for non residents. And the Annual Wildlife Conservation Passport required by some public lands is now $30-$50 it looks like.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9025999 03/28/24 06:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Holy S.

$208 for annual hunting

$505 -deer
505- elk
505 - pronghorn

ouchhhhhhhhhhh That hurts

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026000 03/28/24 06:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
2k a year for me. Bunch of Aholes

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9026005 03/28/24 07:00 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Holy S.

$208 for annual hunting

$505 -deer
505- elk
505 - pronghorn

I know you duck hunt so might as well make that $208....$238. Thought you might want a little salt in that wound peep

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026008 03/28/24 07:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Holy S.

$208 for annual hunting

$505 -deer
505- elk
505 - pronghorn

I know you duck hunt so might as well make that $208....$238. Thought you might want a little salt in that wound peep

brutal!!!

As soon as BarneyWho sees this Im sure Ill get a text about his lifetime lic. to add salt to the wound. Worst mistake of my life not getting one.

Good news is they havent implemented a time line yet on when you have to buy your licenses!!

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9026011 03/28/24 07:08 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Holy S.

$208 for annual hunting

$505 -deer
505- elk
505 - pronghorn

Take away the elk and pronghorn and add in all 3 weapons for deer and we are same I guess.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9026026 03/28/24 07:29 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Holy S.

$208 for annual hunting

$505 -deer
505- elk
505 - pronghorn

brutal!!!

As soon as BarneyWho sees this Im sure Ill get a text about his lifetime lic. to add salt to the wound. Worst mistake of my life not getting one.

Good news is they havent implemented a time line yet on when you have to buy your licenses!!

I was going through hard times that last year the non resident lifetime was still offered. Divorce or something, I can't remember. I just could not afford it that year, but I saw the writing on the wall and had set money aside during the following year to buy it the next season. There was no warning they were going to do away with it. I knew I had made a mistake when I tried to buy it the next season and it was gone. I did at least buy $250 non resident lifetime fishing licenses for my wife and I. There are lots of times now I will spur of the moment run up to OK to fish or run yo-yos in the river that I probably would not otherwise if I did not have that lifetime license.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026030 03/28/24 07:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Its getting brutal for NR across the country. Odds and costs have gotten stupid.

Time for Texas To tell NR where to stick it. When in Rome.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026033 03/28/24 07:57 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
And they even added a under 18 hunting license requirement for non-res, not sure that was there before, in fact pretty sure it was not there.

Cost of hunting land ownership in OK just went up a bit. Stinks!

Maybe I need to turn my land into a commercial hunting operation, licenses cost then is only 175 or something for all big game season.

I could charge people a couple dollars a day for hunting, and it could be a commercial hunting operation....might be worth looking into.....

I am sure they would hit me with a big tax bill for that , even if I didn't make any money doing it.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 03/28/24 08:03 PM.
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Texas buckeye] #9026037 03/28/24 08:09 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
And they even added a under 18 hunting license requirement for non-res, not sure that was there before, in fact pretty sure it was not there.

Cost of hunting land ownership in OK just went up a bit. Stinks!

Maybe I need to turn my land into a commercial hunting operation, licenses cost then is only 175 or something for all big game season.

I could charge people a couple dollars a day for hunting, and it could be a commercial hunting operation....might be worth looking into.....

I am sure they would hit me with a big tax bill for that , even if I didn't make any money doing it.

Ill donate $2 for your cause and I wont hunt.....

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026048 03/28/24 08:22 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
A friend of mine who had been gaining preference points in other states along with me, informed me this year he was no longer going to buy points and not going to do a future hunt. He feels he has reached an age and with complications from old injuries that he likely will not physically be able to go. And with the total cost of western hunts from gaining points, increased license cost, travel and expenses, care of meat and possible taxidermy cost all combined has become much too expensive for him to still justify another DIY western big game hunt. And then there are issues like point creep, reduced quotas, reduced non resident permits, etc. that often throw a wrench into the works. I imagine many of us will reach that day at some point giving up with several unused points in the system.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026049 03/28/24 08:23 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I messed up not getting my lifetime while growing up in Kansas, but somewhat redeemed myself with getting the Oklahoma lifetime while living there.
Hunting and fishing is just getting crazy expensive everywhere. We were warned about it by the Brits years ago.......

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9026066 03/28/24 08:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Its getting brutal for NR across the country. Odds and costs have gotten stupid.

Ha ha , it is $315 to shoot a dang doe in Texas for a NR isn't it ?
But yes you can shoot a buck for the same price, I know.
NR all over the country, like BOBO stated, are getting hit harder because residents want a bigger share.

How many deer is that though for the license cost?
Most western states have separate draws for doe and buck tags, and separate fees.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026091 03/28/24 09:38 PM
B
BassBuster1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You can kill a lot of deer in Oklahoma, up to 8 if you hunted the Christmas doe season. The dang problem is the per method of take cost is silly. I hunted archery there the last two years but that is over at those rates...Guess mission accomplished if there are others like me. Just sad to see hunting in general becoming more and more cost prohibitive...

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Wytex] #9026106 03/28/24 10:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Wytex

Ha ha , it is $315 to shoot a dang doe in Texas for a NR isn't it ?
But yes you can shoot a buck for the same price, I know.
NR all over the country, like BOBO stated, are getting hit harder because residents want a bigger share.

How many deer is that though for the license cost?
Most western states have separate draws for doe and buck tags, and separate fees.

TX is $315 for 5 Whitetails, 2 mule deer, 4 Turkeys, 2 javi’ and upland, and four months to kill all deer.

okla will be 508 per deer season(archery, ML, Rifle) now to kill total of 4-6 deer(depends on area)

Its going to cost me roughly $2800 if I hunt all seasons on my own land. i dont hunt all Deer seasons so basically 1700 for me to archery hunt deer, elk, pronghorn, rifle pheasants..

Here a crazy one i just realized I normally get 2 pronghorn doe rifle depredation permits each year. It now will cost me(me or my kids killing them) $1016 to kill 2 pronghorn depredation(winter wheat) does. Thats BS

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 03/28/24 10:26 PM.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026117 03/28/24 10:40 PM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Archery is the better deal for OK. It allows for the full combined 6 deer bag limit on one license and archery season runs from the beginning of Oct to the middle of Jan. If you have the time to spend bowhunting up there, you would still be able to get your money's worth on that one.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026123 03/28/24 10:45 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yeah, the archery tag is the best clue for cost benefit...but it is harder by a long way to get deer to behave long enough from late oct thru late November to get an archery shot on them, doe get run by bucks and bucks are running all over the place going crazy from hormones.

I looked up and I would have to HF my place to make it a commercial hunting operation. State rules. 8 foot fence required as part of the facility rules. So that is out as a work around. Bummer. Thought I might have had something there.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026272 03/29/24 11:29 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Cut off their nose despite their face. How many gazillion economic dollars are they gonna lose now? Probably a lot of mom-n-pop businesses who made their money on catering to the NRs are gonna lose big time. Heck, they'll even be losing toll fees.

I mean, why else would you go to OK other than to hunt or fish? peep

[Linked Image]
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: Sniper John] #9026389 03/29/24 03:08 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
A friend of mine who had been gaining preference points in other states along with me, informed me this year he was no longer going to buy points and not going to do a future hunt. He feels he has reached an age and with complications from old injuries that he likely will not physically be able to go. And with the total cost of western hunts from gaining points, increased license cost, travel and expenses, care of meat and possible taxidermy cost all combined has become much too expensive for him to still justify another DIY western big game hunt. And then there are issues like point creep, reduced quotas, reduced non resident permits, etc. that often throw a wrench into the works. I imagine many of us will reach that day at some point giving up with several unused points in the system.

I thought whoever died with the most points wins...

I'm getting worried about my out of state points although I've spent a lot of them. Colorado looks like it may slide off into the Washington/California trash pile in a few years now that two major cities have more than half the state population. I'm spending those points in the next three years. Elk, Deer, Bear, Pronghorn. I'll keep building my Wyoming points but not for long. Arizona, I hope to be a resident in the next year or so and plan to convert them so I can draw better units. I'm starting to look more at the central states. But I'm not paying $800 to hunt Ok. It's just not worth that to me. I had always wanted to hunt whitetails in western central OK but I can do a similar hunt in SD and make a better trip out of it. Colorado has set it's fees to adjust for inflation. That makes more sense as I can expect an increase every year and plan on it. Oklahoma would probably be in the same spot it is in now if they had done that. I wonder how the landowners are going to feel when the demand for leases goes down, if it does. We'll have to wait and see. If they really wanted to make points valuable the would make them transferrable. I'd sell my Colorado points and buy Wyoming or Arizona points. Allow us to at least trade them for other state points.

We'll see the effects of this change in the next couple of years and if it results in a significant decrease in revenues they will make an adjustment. But I'm out until then.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: kry226] #9026402 03/29/24 03:47 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by kry226
Cut off their nose despite their face. How many gazillion economic dollars are they gonna lose now? Probably a lot of mom-n-pop businesses who made their money on catering to the NRs are gonna lose big time. Heck, they'll even be losing toll fees.

What would make a big economic boost to Okla would be to lengthen the rifle season. Thats the main thing keeping Texans away, IMO. Our landowner in Okla is well connected politically and there was a hard push to extend rifle season by just one week a few years ago. Supposedly it was going to pass but it didnt. Rumor had it that the good old boys in Okla that grew up with archery just didnt want us. Now with this price increase its like they are building a wall around their State.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: jnd59] #9026406 03/29/24 03:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jnd59

I thought whoever died with the most points wins...

I'm getting worried about my out of state points although I've spent a lot of them. Colorado looks like it may slide off into the Washington/California trash pile in a few years now that two major cities have more than half the state population. I'm spending those points in the next three years. Elk, Deer, Bear, Pronghorn. I'll keep building my Wyoming points but not for long. Arizona, I hope to be a resident in the next year or so and plan to convert them so I can draw better units. I'm starting to look more at the central states. But I'm not paying $800 to hunt Ok. It's just not worth that to me. I had always wanted to hunt whitetails in western central OK but I can do a similar hunt in SD and make a better trip out of it. Colorado has set it's fees to adjust for inflation. That makes more sense as I can expect an increase every year and plan on it. Oklahoma would probably be in the same spot it is in now if they had done that. I wonder how the landowners are going to feel when the demand for leases goes down, if it does. We'll have to wait and see. If they really wanted to make points valuable the would make them transferrable. I'd sell my Colorado points and buy Wyoming or Arizona points. Allow us to at least trade them for other state points.

We'll see the effects of this change in the next couple of years and if it results in a significant decrease in revenues they will make an adjustment. But I'm out until then.

Oklahoma has always had a hate for NR. They hate leases, wasnt long ago Okla was a posted state. Drive byes on none posted property was an Olympic sport. There was no civil restitution and fine for poaching was like $200, and most GR’s didnt confiscate animal. Luckly they finally put into place high civil restitution fees

I remember meeting with Congressman to push for the ability as a NR landowner to put in for Landowner draw tags.

CO wont have any significant public hunting in 20 years, they will reduce tags so low it wont matter.

Re: Oklahoma hunting fishing license fee increase [Re: freerange] #9026407 03/29/24 03:56 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by kry226

What would make a big economic boost to Okla would be to lengthen the rifle season. Thats the main thing keeping Texans away, IMO. Our landowner in Okla is well connected politically and there was a hard push to extend rifle season by just one week a few years ago. Supposedly it was going to pass but it didnt. Rumor had it that the good old boys in Okla that grew up with archery just didnt want us. Now with this price increase its like they are building a wall around their State.

I’m in the minority but I’m very glad to see the price increase to cut down on some of the pressure. Unfortunately so many people have moved to north Texas and looking to hunt Oklahoma it’s absolutely insane so I welcome the price increase to keep it in check “OR” they can simply go to a draw system like so many other states do and see how everyone likes that instead. The states only so big and can only handle so many hunters so in my opinion this was well overdue.

As far as the rifle season length goes, it needs to stay just like it is. The hunting is as good as it is due to the length of rifle season and everything not getting shot to hell and I highly doubt this ever changes..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide