Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Medicare Advantage plans #9024287 03/25/24 01:28 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have posted here several times about folks being careful about choosing these plans - this article outlines why

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...als-insurers--and-seniors-152214464.html

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9024324 03/25/24 02:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
People who choose an Advantage plan over Medicare had better like it because it can be very difficult to leave the plan and get on Medicare when things go south.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/25/24 02:56 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Texas Dan] #9024408 03/25/24 04:54 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
People who choose an Advantage plan over Medicare had better like it because it can be very difficult to leave the plan and get on Medicare when things go south.

You are totally correct - hard to opt out of those plans if you can at all

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9024426 03/25/24 05:58 PM
J
jsteve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You can easily go from an Advantage plan any time you want to, to regular Medicare...it's just you may not, probably not, qualify for a supplement plan, G for instance. Then you are screwed.
Most nursing homes will not allow advantage plans and the resident has to go to regular Medicare A & B.
Go with regular Medicare A & B from the start and you cannot be denied, do not have to qualify, for a plan G and have it for life as long as you make the premiums.

Last edited by jsteve; 03/25/24 05:59 PM.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: jsteve] #9024471 03/25/24 07:21 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jsteve
You can easily go from an Advantage plan any time you want to, to regular Medicare...it's just you may not, probably not, qualify for a supplement plan, G for instance. Then you are screwed.
Most nursing homes will not allow advantage plans and the resident has to go to regular Medicare A & B.
Go with regular Medicare A & B from the start and you cannot be denied, do not have to qualify, for a plan G and have it for life as long as you make the premiums.

Wife and I on the old F plan which is the best IMO - it is no longer offered but the Plan G you mentioned is the best available now days and is very similar to Plan F

Not sure what you mean on nursing homes? Medicare does not pay for nursing homes - Long term care policies will however

Last edited by tlk; 03/25/24 07:22 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9024531 03/25/24 09:38 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
I just dogged a bullet last month and switched from an AP back to traditional Medicare. The underwriting is all done on-line with you answering a lot of questions. Once all questions are answered you hit "Submit" and within 2-3 minutes you'll know if your approved. I'm only 68 and in good health, but in my older years I'm not taking any chances. I watched a few congressional hearings and it's a proven fact that Advantage Plans are a bait & switch scheme and only good till you need them. Once you need them it's wait for approval and get denied.
My insurance agent said he writes 90% traditional Medicare and 10% AP.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: angus1956] #9024557 03/25/24 10:37 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by angus1956
I just dogged a bullet last month and switched from an AP back to traditional Medicare. The underwriting is all done on-line with you answering a lot of questions. Once all questions are answered you hit "Submit" and within 2-3 minutes you'll know if your approved. I'm only 68 and in good health, but in my older years I'm not taking any chances. I watched a few congressional hearings and it's a proven fact that Advantage Plans are a bait & switch scheme and only good till you need them. Once you need them it's wait for approval and get denied.
My insurance agent said he writes 90% traditional Medicare and 10% AP.

I was a health insurance agent for many years. NO WAY would I sell anyone an AP policy

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9024800 03/26/24 12:55 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tlk

Wife and I on the old F plan which is the best IMO - it is no longer offered but the Plan G you mentioned is the best available now days and is very similar to Plan F

As I recall, the difference is that the F plan absorbs the annual deductible? I chose G because the F premiums added up to slightly more than paying the deductible on G. This was with Cigna, pricing may be different with others.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9025211 03/27/24 01:57 AM
J
jsteve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tlk

Not sure what you mean on nursing homes? Medicare does not pay for nursing homes - Long term care policies will however

What it means is most nursing homes when they need to get a resident medical care, they don't want to have to jump thru the advantage hoops(restrictions). With regular A & B any hospital that takes Medicare will take them. Some will not take advantage plans any longer and the list is growing. Certain Advantage plans are nightmares and they choose to not deal with that mess.

Maybe I should not have said "most nursing homes". It is absolutely safe for me to say a hell of a lot of them don't though. Had to go through this recently...twice.

Last edited by jsteve; 03/27/24 01:59 AM.

In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9025252 03/27/24 03:29 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Free Advice on the Internet...take it for what it is worth...

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: jsteve] #9025288 03/27/24 10:47 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

What it means is most nursing homes when they need to get a resident medical care, they don't want to have to jump thru the advantage hoops(restrictions). With regular A & B any hospital that takes Medicare will take them. Some will not take advantage plans any longer and the list is growing. Certain Advantage plans are nightmares and they choose to not deal with that mess.

Maybe I should not have said "most nursing homes". It is absolutely safe for me to say a hell of a lot of them don't though. Had to go through this recently...twice.

gotcha - thanks for clarification - did not realize some of them won't mess with AP

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Concho] #9025341 03/27/24 12:37 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Concho

Hands-on experience shared amongst friends can be a valuable source of information when one is searching. Ultimately, we are responsible for our own decisions, but I always appreciate hearing multiple perspectives.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Marc K] #9026013 03/28/24 07:09 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Marc K

Hands-on experience shared amongst friends can be a valuable source of information when one is searching. Ultimately, we are responsible for our own decisions, but I always appreciate hearing multiple perspectives.

This.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Concho] #9026094 03/28/24 09:39 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I sold health insurance for over 40 years and am now retired. I post "free advice" about this stuff on a regular basis in hopes I can help some folks on here

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9026139 03/28/24 11:33 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
I had an AP because I have VA benefits also and it was saving me $50.00 per month because i didn't need the drug plan. But with all the horrible stories people have gone through with AP's I switched back to traditional MC. I guess now I'm double covered.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9026141 03/28/24 11:35 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by tlk

I sold health insurance for over 40 years and am now retired. I post "free advice" about this stuff on a regular basis in hopes I can help some folks on here

Well, I'm just saying with the numerous texts, telephone calls and emails I get each day about Medicare and Medicare Advantage, who knows what to believe. I have been on Medicare and now on Medicare Advantage plan for a couple years...I have never had a single problem and I have some medical issues. All the plans are pretty much self-explanatory and outline the coverage and costs. I didn't say your advice is wrong, or there is anything wrong with suppling the advice, I didn't even know insurance agents could be involved in Medicare Advantage or Medicare, I just thought everyone signed up like me after reading and studying the available plans. Please Carry on.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Concho] #9026156 03/29/24 12:47 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

Well, I'm just saying with the numerous texts, telephone calls and emails I get each day about Medicare and Medicare Advantage, who knows what to believe. I have been on Medicare and now on Medicare Advantage plan for a couple years...I have never had a single problem and I have some medical issues. All the plans are pretty much self-explanatory and outline the coverage and costs. I didn't say your advice is wrong, or there is anything wrong with suppling the advice, I didn't even know insurance agents could be involved in Medicare Advantage or Medicare, I just thought everyone signed up like me after reading and studying the available plans. Please Carry on.

I get it - go back and read the original article I posted and decide for yourself - you may not have experienced it yet but there are alot of potential holes in AP plans - they are so bad that Congress is discussing doing away with them - the reason every insurance company is promoting them on TV constantly is because they are making a killing off of selling them - they are awesome plans until you really get sick - but what do I know after 40 years ???? Please read below that the article discusses

"Seniors also have a lot at stake. If more hospitals ditch these plans, seniors who rely on that coverage will be forced to pay higher costs or may even be kept from seeing the doctor of their choice. Many have little recourse if they face these challenges."

"It stinks," Mayo said. "You're putting consumers in the middle of these negotiations and they really value being able to know if they're facing out-of-network costs if they do see a provider that's not within their network. So the emotional strain that this takes on the people caught in the middle is the worst."

Last edited by tlk; 03/29/24 12:54 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9026158 03/29/24 12:59 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Just what we need, more Congressional involvement in our healthcare...geeezzzz. I believe most people simply don't involve themselves in what they actually signing up to receive, what their plan covers, what the cost are, how to stay within the guidelines. Like I said, I signed up for a local plan, involving a local hospital system, I read all the ins and outs of the plan, and I haven't experienced any problems. I refuse to sign up for one of the Big-Name Insurance Companies, never experienced one that wanted to fulfill their obligations.

Last edited by Concho; 03/29/24 01:10 AM.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9026159 03/29/24 12:59 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Google Video's on Congressional Hearings on AP plans and have a listen. You may be switching after watching these.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: angus1956] #9026162 03/29/24 01:13 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Google Video's on Congressional Hearings on AP plans and have a listen. You may be switching after watching these.

Really? I wouldn't give you two cents for anything happening in Congress today, those people are only about getting re-elected, and I believe anything coming out of their mouths even less.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Concho] #9026203 03/29/24 02:31 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Enjoy your AP.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: Concho] #9026230 03/29/24 04:06 AM
J
jsteve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tlk

Advantage plans are private insurance plans. It is not a "supplement" like a lot of the commercials make it look like(Plan C). You still pay for Medicare B. You either have regular Medicare or you have an AP, cannot have both. They are also just 1 year contracts. If you do nothing they will continue with what you had but your doctors may not be in their network and the embedded drug plan may not cover your drugs anymore. That is why you have to check them out each and every year.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: angus1956] #9026259 03/29/24 10:39 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Enjoy your AP.

Ditto

You can't fix stupid
Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: jsteve] #9026303 03/29/24 12:54 PM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by tlk

Advantage plans are private insurance plans. It is not a "supplement" like a lot of the commercials make it look like(Plan C). You still pay for Medicare B. You either have regular Medicare or you have an AP, cannot have both. They are also just 1 year contracts. If you do nothing they will continue with what you had but your doctors may not be in their network and the embedded drug plan may not cover your drugs anymore. That is why you have to check them out each and every year.

Yes, I think you misunderstand my post, I was on regular Medicare then changed to Medicare Advantage. Yes, you have a chance to change plans each year and yes, you need to research what you are getting each year. My plan sends me a document each year before the sign-up period begins outlining what if anything is changing and what costs will be for the new year.

Last edited by Concho; 03/29/24 01:12 PM.

Re: Medicare Advantage plans [Re: tlk] #9026309 03/29/24 01:10 PM
J
jsteve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Yes, I think you misunderstand my post, I was on regular Medicare then changed to Medicare Advantage. Yes, you have a chance to change plans each year and yes, you need to research what you are getting each year. [/quote]

I understand, I was just responding to what you said, "I didn't even know insurance agents could be involved in Medicare Advantage or Medicare". I only wanted others to know that agents are involved because AP's are a private insurance product. The way an insurance agent is involved with Medicare is when they help you find a supplement, such as Plan G. An agent has nothing to do with Medicare A & B.
I know you know this, I was only wanting others to know.
I really should have highlighted the part I was responding to, sorry for the confusion. cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide