Forums46
Topics538,481
Posts9,737,546
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Dave Davidson] #9024439 03/25/24 06:31 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
The oldest consideration about money is not how much you make or have. It’s how much you spend.

Although we are financially secure and debt free, inflation is a big consideration. Taxes are real. We recently sold one rent house that was 100% depreciated. That will have to be recovered at tax time. About to give the other one to my grandson and his wife.

I’m considering selling my 133 acres of rural property 70 miles from the metroplex in Montague County. Getting too old and arthritic to do it right and enjoy it. It’s junk land that the realtors call recreational property. Meeting a fence guy this afternoon. I can no longer do that. It will be a huge profit after 40 years of ownership. But again, taxes and realtor fees will take a bunch.

Ya know, this old age and arthritis was supposed to happen to other people. Not me.

Before you sell this land consider if it is passed on after you passthe beneficiaries will pay no taxes as their badis will be current value. It is called step up, you might want to see if there is a way to leverage your assets without selling.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Ramsey] #9024442 03/25/24 06:34 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Ramsey
The oldest consideration about money is not how much you make or have. It’s how much you spend.

Although we are financially secure and debt free, inflation is a big consideration. Taxes are real. We recently sold one rent house that was 100% depreciated. That will have to be recovered at tax time. About to give the other one to my grandson and his wife.

I’m considering selling my 133 acres of rural property 70 miles from the metroplex in Montague County. Getting too old and arthritic to do it right and enjoy it. It’s junk land that the realtors call recreational property. Meeting a fence guy this afternoon. I can no longer do that. It will be a huge profit after 40 years of ownership. But again, taxes and realtor fees will take a bunch.

Ya know, this old age and arthritis was supposed to happen to other people. Not me.

Before you sell this land consider if it is passed on after you passthe beneficiaries will pay no taxes as their badis will be current value. It is called step up, you might want to see if there is a way to leverage your assets without selling.

This is incorrect my friend…..this would only be true of his homestead….

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #9024446 03/25/24 06:46 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

This is incorrect my friend…..this would only be true of his homestead….
I need to find out, this was direst from attorney consultation earlier in the year regarding my portfolio. Not arguing, just need to know what my options are.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024448 03/25/24 06:50 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
This is the reason most ranches get sold and leases go away because the beneficiary doesn’t want to or can’t pay the capital gains taxes and sometimes estate tax as well.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #9024452 03/25/24 07:03 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
This is the reason most ranches get sold and leases go away because the beneficiary doesn’t want to or can’t pay the capital gains taxes and sometimes estate tax as well.
Marc I am looking and cant find anything on IRS sites that differentiate at all, They even allow spouses to use step up after one dies for rental properties fir half the value. I wish there was a way to clear this up, my focus is residential real estate properties. I do not see anything that is differnt for land, but again I am not a attorney.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024455 03/25/24 07:06 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Estate taxes dont kick in till $13.6 mil lifetime are exceeded. I will try to find out from a pro and post as well.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Ramsey] #9024458 03/25/24 07:10 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Estate taxes dont kick in till $13.6 mil lifetime are exceeded. I will try to find out from a pro and post as well.

True….. so if you are under the estate tax exemption amount after the ranch valuation it would only capital gains tax, if you are over the exemption it would be both…

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Ramsey] #9024459 03/25/24 07:12 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Marc I am looking and cant find anything on IRS sites that differentiate at all, They even allow spouses to use step up after one dies for rental properties fir half the value. I wish there was a way to clear this up, my focus is residential real estate properties. I do not see anything that is differnt for land, but again I am not a attorney.

Spouses get stepped up value on all assets until second death occurs….

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #9024461 03/25/24 07:13 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

True….. so if you are under the estate tax exemption amount after the ranch valuation it would only capital gains tax, if you are over the exemption it would be both…

I’m not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but one might consider forming an LLC to put the land into and have children as managing members of the LLC.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024463 03/25/24 07:15 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
This is the primary use of second to die life insurance….

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #9024464 03/25/24 07:15 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew

Do you have reference material to point me to, Again I am not arguing, but my portfolio is affected.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Ramsey] #9024470 03/25/24 07:20 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Do you have reference material to point me to, Again I am not arguing, but my portfolio is affected.

PM Uncle Zeke

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024476 03/25/24 07:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
https://smartasset.com/taxes/capital-gains-on-inherited-property

I’ve never once heard of a beneficiary being responsible for capital gains tax when inheriting a property. That topic had me questioning my entire career.

Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024479 03/25/24 07:31 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Marc- I just got short answer, basically I am covered and my daughter will recieve step up on investment property as long as it is in my individual name. He did not elaborate further as I am sure he is busy. Seems like anyone with this scenario needs counsel on their specific assets. He mentioned it depends on how the asset functions before deat another words is it in a S Copr etc.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024480 03/25/24 07:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
To determine if the sale of inherited property is taxable, you must first determine your basis in the property. The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally one of the following:

The fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of the decedent's death (whether or not the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return)).
The FMV of the property on the alternate valuation date, but only if the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706) and elects to use the alternate valuation on that return. See the Instructions for Form 706.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/interest-dividends-other-types-of-income/gifts-inheritances/gifts-inheritances#:~:text=The%20basis%20of%20property%20inherited,Transfer)%20Tax%20Return)).

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: dogcatcher] #9024483 03/25/24 07:38 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
To determine if the sale of inherited property is taxable, you must first determine your basis in the property. The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally one of the following:

The fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of the decedent's death (whether or not the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return)).
The FMV of the property on the alternate valuation date, but only if the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706) and elects to use the alternate valuation on that return. See the Instructions for Form 706.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/interest-dividends-other-types-of-income/gifts-inheritances/gifts-inheritances#:~:text=The%20basis%20of%20property%20inherited,Transfer)%20Tax%20Return)).
This is the IRS definition for establishing a basis or step up.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: txtrophy85] #9024520 03/25/24 09:17 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I’ve never once heard of a beneficiary being responsible for capital gains tax when inheriting a property. That topic had me questioning my entire career.

My understanding is that you pay capital gains on the difference of value between when you inherit property and when and if you sell it.

Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: Sidebuster] #9024523 03/25/24 09:22 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Sidebuster

My understanding is that you pay capital gains on the difference of value between when you inherit property and when and if you sell it.

Yes.

Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: ntxtrapper] #9024556 03/25/24 10:36 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yes.

My understanding as well.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: freerange] #9024595 03/25/24 11:27 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yes.

My understanding as well.

I confirmed with atty and advisor, this is correct as long as it is not in a irovacable trust. I do not know the law for LLC or corporation structures.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024607 03/25/24 11:49 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
This one took an interesting twist with the land inheritance angle; Arndt and Berta may have some land back in Bavaria but not here in the states...

Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024623 03/26/24 12:05 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I think pro financial advisors are the problem. There way to conservative and there out rageous fees. 60 is still too young to rely on bonds heavily

Get rid of the finance guy. Put what you need for 3 or 4 years in CDs. The rest in a S and P 500 tracking fund

Last edited by blanked; 03/26/24 12:08 AM.
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: blanked] #9024652 03/26/24 12:45 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by blanked
I think pro financial advisors are the problem. There way to conservative and there out rageous fees. 60 is still too young to rely on bonds heavily

Get rid of the finance guy. Put what you need for 3 or 4 years in CDs. The rest in a S and P 500 tracking fund

So you’re saying that financial/investment pros are too conservative yet you recommend putting money in CD’s which are currently paying a 5.5% rate…at best? That’s pretty conservative, only thing more is earning a point or two interest on your savings account.

Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: DQ Kid] #9024683 03/26/24 01:45 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Fixed income investments aren’t all that great when thePrez and Congress loot the economy causing high inflation.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Unforseen or unanticipated Costs in Retirement [Re: txtrophy85] #9024688 03/26/24 02:05 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by blanked

So you’re saying that financial/investment pros are too conservative yet you recommend putting money in CD’s which are currently paying a 5.5% rate…at best? That’s pretty conservative, only thing more is earning a point or two interest on your savings account.

I said 3 or 4 years worth not the whole thing. That still leaves about 85% of your portfolio keeping up with the market so you never dip into your principle. These advisors will have 60% of the portfolio in bonds. Major difference

Last edited by blanked; 03/26/24 02:11 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide