Print Thread
So, you want to hunt South Dakota... #9020351 03/16/24 10:40 PM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
I'm starting this now to see if we can build momentum for a group hunt to SD. SD NR waterfowl is a draw state. The draw application period opens June 6 and ends July 8. Based on the 2023 draw, if you had zero points you would have about a 75% chance of drawing a statewide, nonresident 10 day (broken up into two 5 day periods) license. I've never hunted SD but I have two waterfowl points. You must be twelve (chronological age, not maturity) to hunt in SD. Total license cost, assuming you already have your federal duck stamp, would be about $150. I'll get more exact numbers once we get down to the draw period.

I'm starting this thread to explore interest, get feedback from experienced SD hunters and hopefully start a group plan before the draw begins. I have no preconceived expectations about how or where we hunt as well as lodging and food. We can go cheaper or less cheaper but I will say I have to pay for an elk guide and a fly in caribou hunt in the next three years so guided hunts in SD are probably a no go for me. That doesn't mean others can't go guided for a day or two while the group is up there, though.

Here are my initial ideas. None are set in stone:

We will need to have multiple vehicles as we will all need to scout daily. Whether that means we rent them up there or drive up is up to each hunter. I think, if we have six hunters we will need at least three vehicles to scout.
Based on the scouting/hunting I expect we will be happier staying in motels but I'm open to camping.
I'm not sure we will need a boat. As I've read, we will need to decide how we want to hunt (field, pond, river or lake). I'm not inclined to drag my boat up there just to have it. But if the majority wants to hunt big water I will.
I would prefer to hunt earlier rather than later. I don't want to risk late season weather for travel or bird numbers. Low plains season starts Sept 21st. HIgh plains season starts Oct 12th. Unless someone chimes in with more information, it looks like we would do best to maximize the available hunting area to go mid October. I've hunted Wyoming in mid October. Blizzards are possible but most water is still open or can be opened easily.
It'd be great if someone in our group has a dog. I don't at the moment and I won't have one trained for this year.
I'm willing to handle a lot of the planning (i'm retired) as well as sending out emails, etc.
My one hard/fast rule. Money is due when it is due. It's not due after it's due. But I would prefer to minimize the amount of money we have to pool. Two people staying in a motel can work that out between themselves. The only things we would need to pool money on, as far as I know now, are applications and any possible field decoy/trailer rental.
If some of us have one or two points and some have zero, I would consider grouping by point level (1+ in one group and 0 in the other) or each apply individually and see where we end up.

I would prefer to hunt with four of us but I will say, I've been on 8 man group hunts and it's just not as enjoyable. If we end up with that many people I would prefer we split into two four-person groups when possible and rotate those groups daily. Again, these are just my thoughts. Nothing is set in stone.

Lets start with anyone that even has a hint of interest. We can get down to the nut cuttin' later.

If this works out I may change my mind about guided elk and change that to a diy hunt. That's a lot more complicated though.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9020498 03/17/24 04:00 AM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I might be interested. I have 0 points but will be putting in this summer. If I get drawn I plan to hunt the north east portion of the state. Hopefully shoot some ducks in the morning and pheasant in the afternoon. I'm targeting mid to late October.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9021516 03/19/24 02:27 AM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Great. If you get drawn let me know. Even if you don't draw this year we can exchange information and I can send back scouting reports. I wouldn't mind hunting pheasant some while I'm up there. It's been a few years since I've done that. Have you put any thought into whether you are going to concentrate on one type (field, pond, or lake/river) or try to cover multiple bases? I don't have any field decoys but I have heard you can rent field trailers.

Mid to late October is perfect for me.

Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9021542 03/19/24 02:56 AM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Planning to hunt ducks over water. Just plan to walk in, not boat. Don't really have any field decoys or goose decoys.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9022946 03/22/24 12:19 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I went in the beginning of December this year and there was plenty of ducks and geese around. I’m going to try and make another trip around the same time (maybe a little earlier), unless I draw a deer tag up there. Shoot me a pm if you want some more details.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9022971 03/22/24 01:18 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I am sure I will do anywhere from one to three long multi day bird hunting road trips this coming season, but I have not even begun to decide what state or states. I always combine upland and waterfowl, but related to my dog, likely more upland than waterfowl this year. Slim chance I do SD, but I should have at least 3 or 4 SD points by now. If by chance I did make it that way and it works out I could certainly meet up there. And I would have several field decoys with me if I did. But again, slim chance, though anything is possible at this point.

Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: john paul] #9023027 03/22/24 02:31 AM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by john paul
I went in the beginning of December this year and there was plenty of ducks and geese around. I’m going to try and make another trip around the same time (maybe a little earlier), unless I draw a deer tag up there. Shoot me a pm if you want some more details.

I will send you a PM as we get closer to the draw. I was afraid the weather would turn bad if I waited until November or later but I've never been up there that late, well, that's not true. My dad was stationed at the SAC base in SD when I was born so I moved there about my second day alive. Funny, I don't remember it much.

I have deer points for black hills but not enough to draw. It looks like the archery draw is pretty easy but I think I will wait a couple years for that.

Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: Sniper John] #9023028 03/22/24 02:35 AM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sniper John
I am sure I will do anywhere from one to three long multi day bird hunting road trips this coming season, but I have not even begun to decide what state or states. I always combine upland and waterfowl, but related to my dog, likely more upland than waterfowl this year. Slim chance I do SD, but I should have at least 3 or 4 SD points by now. If by chance I did make it that way and it works out I could certainly meet up there. And I would have several field decoys with me if I did. But again, slim chance, though anything is possible at this point.

Sounds good. Keep watching this topic. I'm sure as we get closer plans will firm up for everyone. Even if you make it up for Pheasant we can work something out. I have to stop in Iowa on the way so if you end up hunting Iowa or Nebraska and want company let me know. It's been 47 years since I hunted Iowa.

Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9035630 04/18/24 03:10 PM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Bringing this back as a reminder in case any one decides they want to hunt SD waterfowl this October/November. The application is June 6 to July 8. Also I'm looking at pheasant but I haven't tied anything down yet.

Also, If you think you want to bow hunt deer/javelina in AZ (January 2025) or elk in Colorado (September 2025) pm me. Arizona is a cheap (otc deer tag + license is less than $500, add a javelina (draw) for 115). If you're camping then it's just the gas to get there.

Colorado will be diy. I haven't decided on a unit yet. I have 6 points but most of the units I'm looking at would require 2 - 3.

The boss lady says I'm no longer allowed to die alone on these trips. Dunno why it matters, I'm still dead. Women can be such killjoys sometimes.

Re: So, you want to hunt South Dakota... [Re: jnd59] #9035686 04/18/24 04:39 PM
2flyfish4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I'm still planning on it. Looking at the draw odds for non residents with 0 points you have about a 75% chance of drawing a waterfowl license.

If I draw a license I plan on going and will start nailing down some dates in the August time frame. But it will likely be late October time frame.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide